or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › Helpless with set up
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Helpless with set up

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
Hi all

I'm trying to do a basic setup, but I'm terrible at this stuff. Googling up the manuals to all of my components has confused me even more.

I've attached pics of the items, just trying to have everything hooked up to be able to play through the speakers powered by the receiver.

There's a basic cable connection w/ the picture of the cable box(with coax + video and audio outs) and dvd player

A picture of the Sony receiver and a picture of the TV.

I also have an apple TV and a Sony PS3.

If someone could please point me with a way to connect them, it would much appreciated.

If all cant be connected at once, by preferece:

cable
Apple TV
Sony Ps3

thank you so much

mark
LL
LL
LL
post #2 of 26
Does your cable box have an HDMI output?
post #3 of 26
Thread Starter 
unfortunately no, just coax, and the 1 video, 2 audio.. which I assume is composite.

Though I am considering getting HDTV - which I'd hope would come with better connectivity options. Not to derail my own thread.. but my cable company charges $30 a month for a DVR rental. Could I buy any one and it would work? Or would I need to buy the same one the company rents?
post #4 of 26
First things first: get yourself an HD cable box. There is no reason in the world for you to be watching SDTV in 2011.

We also need to know what receiver you have in order to determine whether the HDMI functionality is just switching or whether it processes audio,.
post #5 of 26
Thread Starter 
I dont watch that much cable - and the cable they offer here (Bermuda) , even the HD offering is very limited. There's 12 channels. So $50 extra for a few hd channels. But I'm still tempted to get it.

The receiver I have is a Sony STR K990

str k990
post #6 of 26
OK so the HDMI ports on your receiver are switching only, which means that if you hook up a device, like a PS3, with HDMI you won't get sound through your speakers.

The receiver also doesn't do upconversion.

So here's what you have to do:

Connect the cable box to the receiver using the red/white/yellow to "Video 1 in" on the receiver.

Connect the Apple TV using HDMI 1 and optical 1.

Connect the PS3 to the receiver using HDMI 2 and optical 2.

Connect the receiver to the TV using both HDMI out (receiver) -> HDMI 1 (tv) and Video 1 Out (receiver) -> Input 1 (tv) (you want to use red/white/yellow if you ever want to listen to cable box audio using the TV speakers). You'll need to switch to the HDMI input on the TV for Apple TV and PS3, and Input 1 for cable.
post #7 of 26
A $30 a month rental fee for an HD DVR is a rip off. $5 is a more normal fee. Most companies do not allow you to buy the equipment. This is how they trap you with the rental. I do own my HD DVR's but this is rare and it took some know how to get this done. It's also legit so I'm not breaking any laws or cheating the company.
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

A $30 a month rental fee for an HD DVR is a rip off. $5 is a more normal fee. Most companies do not allow you to buy the equipment. This is how they trap you with the rental. I do own my HD DVR's but this is rare and it took some know how to get this done. It's also legit so I'm not breaking any laws or cheating the company.

In Bermuda? How do you know this? Did you used to live there or are you just assuming.
post #9 of 26
I have never lived in Bermuda. I'm just comparing your cost to the USA. Your cost for an HD DVR is much higher than average in the USA.
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

A $30 a month rental fee for an HD DVR is a rip off. $5 is a more normal fee.

$5 per month for an HD-DVR rental?? Where? What provider?

I think the average is typically around $15-$20 per month.
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

I have never lived in Bermuda. I'm just comparing your cost to the USA. Your cost for an HD DVR is much higher than average in the USA.

Bermuda is not part of the USA.
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post


Bermuda is not part of the USA.

I never said Bermuda was part of the USA. I said I was comparing his price in Bermuda to the price to over here in the USA. Thanks for the geography lesson though.
post #13 of 26
I agree that $5 is nowhere near "normal." My provider charges $17 a month for HD DVR. My dad's 2000 miles away charges $15.
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post


$5 per month for an HD-DVR rental?? Where? What provider?

I think the average is typically around $15-$20 per month.

I think your right about the actual cost of rental fees. I was mistaken. If I remember right I was paying about $5 for a SD receiver without a DVR. The HD DVR I rented was about $12 to $15. It was a while ago. I don't lease or rent anymore. I own my equipment.
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

I think your right about the actual cost of rental fees. I was mistaken.

Correct on both counts.

Quote:


If I remember right I was paying about $5 for a SD receiver without a DVR. The HD DVR I rented was about $12 to $15.

That sounds about right for "average".

Quote:


I don't lease or rent anymore. I own my equipment.

You did mention that earlier. How you legitimately accomplished that is beyond me.
post #16 of 26
Thread Starter 
Hey all

Jonnythan thanks for the quick reply. I ended up with a half day, and said f-it, let's spend some time to hook up HD into the place. I ended purchasing a TIVO Premiere.

The connections on there are: 3 component video and 3 composite (video/audio) I think. Then there's 1 HDMI and 1 digital audio.

So I've done this so far:

TIVO 1 HDMI to Receiver HDMI marked 'video 2/BD in'

Receiver HDMI marked 'out' to TV HDMI 1

I connected the Apple TV via HDMI to the TV HDMI 2. Since I couldnt find a way to connect the Apple TV to the receiver, I also ran an optical between the Apple TV and the receiver's Optical 'Sat In'

Does anyone have better suggestions?

Btw - surprisingly Bermuda's cable company fully sponsors the use of Tivo, even having step by step instructions on their website for setup.

I jumped into this entire Tivo thing possibly too fast, I ended up paying for the Tivo and a pretty penny for the card, and a wireless adapter (since my regular one was incompatible) Only to find out there's a monthly fee of $20 for the tivo service. I think this is something 99% of people living in the real world know, but things move slow here!
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

I think your right about the actual cost of rental fees. I was mistaken. If I remember right I was paying about $5 for a SD receiver without a DVR. The HD DVR I rented was about $12 to $15. It was a while ago. I don't lease or rent anymore. I own my equipment.

I think mine is like this...

One SD STB included with package, but that is upgraded to HD STB so +$5 for the HD STB, then a HD DVR is $15. Additional SD STBs are $5, but it looks like an additional HD STB might be $10/mo since it is +$5, apparently, over the SD STB included with the digital package.
post #18 of 26
Quote:


I said I was comparing his price in Bermuda to the price to over here in the USA.

OK....why?

Quote:


Thanks for the geography lesson though.

You're welcome...you learn something new everyday
post #19 of 26
I was comparing his price in Bermuda to the USA because it's almost twice the price to rent a DVR there in Bermuda. It could be due to the cable company he has, or the difference in price could be with the dollar exchange rate differences between the two areas. I'm not sure.

By the way. I didn't learn anything new from your geography remark. I was kidding. So basically it was a waste of your time. Maybe you should read peoples posts more carefully before you decide you want to try and school them.
post #20 of 26
Quote:


I was comparing his price in Bermuda to the USA because it's almost twice the price to rent a DVR there in Bermuda.

You should see the price of food, cars and other electronics there.

Quote:


It could be due to the cable company he has, or the difference in price could be with the dollar exchange rate differences between the two areas. I'm not sure.

The Bermuda dollar is pegged at .5c higher then the US$

Quote:


By the way. I didn't learn anything new from your geography remark. I was kidding. So basically it was a waste of your time. Maybe you should read peoples posts more carefully before you decide you want to try and school them.

I didn't expect you to learn anything. I did read your post, and noticed it was just a bunch of crap.

By the way, the irony of this and your other posts, is that you haven't contributed anything of interest to the thread...in other words, your post is useless, and reveals your lack of knowledge.
post #21 of 26
Sorry I don't watch the exchange rates constantly just so I can insult people. You have 170 some odd posts. I'm not the most knowledgeable person around here but I do contribute some knowledge to the forum. Is there a specific reason you're wound up so tight? I always try to get along with everyone around here and be respectful. Where I draw the line is when people start talking down to me. I don't care how smart you think you are there is no reason for this. But unfortunately there are a couple of you around here that get their kicks out of insulting people or establishing the fact that you're smarter than them. It's not going to work on me. The moderators don't like it either. Have a nice day.
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Sorry I don't watch the exchange rates constantly just so I can insult people.
http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert/?Amount=1&From=BMD&To=USD

Quote:
You have 170 some odd posts. I'm not the most knowledgeable person around here but I do contribute some knowledge to the forum.
Post count doesn't equate to being helpful or knowledgable.

Quote:
I always try to get along with everyone around here and be respectful. Where I draw the line is when people start talking down to me. I don't care how smart you think you are there is no reason for this. But unfortunately there are a couple of you around here that get their kicks out of insulting people or establishing the fact that you're smarter than them. It's not going to work on me. The moderators don't like it either. Have a nice day.
Bleh... don't pull the trigger unless you know your gun is loaded and you can aim accurately.

Enjoy the afternoon.
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusontherock View Post
Does anyone have better suggestions?
Wow, this went kind of OT real quick

Hi mark, a suggested setup using an Optical to Coaxial Digital Converter.

Tivo -> HDMI cable -> Tv "HDMI-1"
Tivo -> optical cable -> Receiver Optical "SAT IN"

PS3 -> HDMI cable -> Receiver "Video 2 BD IN"
PS3 -> Optical cable -> Receiver Optical "Video 2 BD IN"

Apple TV -> HDMI cable -> Receiver "DVD IN"
Apple TV -> Optical cable -> CONVERTER -> Coaxial cable -> Receiver Coaxial "DVD IN"

Receiver HDMI "OUT" -> HDMI cable -> Tv "HDMI-2"
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman
http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert/?Amount=1&From=BMD&To=USD

Post count doesn't equate to being helpful or knowledgable.

Bleh... don't pull the trigger unless you know your gun is loaded and you can aim accurately.

Enjoy the afternoon.
Yes. I agree that a persons post count doesn't equate to a persons knowledge. I guess I should of clarified. Someone with 170 posts that just joined 4 months ago really hasn't been around long enough to feel people out. Let alone make judgements about someones knowledge or to make judgement calls about participation in threads. Which no one around here has been appointed to do. I think me and you understand each other just fine Mr.Ratman.
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Let alone make judgements about someones knowledge or to make judgement calls about participation in threads. Which no one around here has been appointed to do
Yet, that's exactly what you do....hypocrite.
post #26 of 26
You're mistaken. You weren't even able to type a sentence without pointing a finger or calling me a name. I simply stated that you haven't been around here for very long. Which makes it very difficult for you to know who is who around here. You more than likely have never ran across me in a thread so I don't know how you can pass judgement on my knowledge. It's especially difficult over the internet to get to know people quickly.

If I where a hypocrite I would of judged you in a way or called you a name. Simply stating the fact that you don't know many of us does not make me a hypocrite. You might be a smart guy. Who knows????

Do you have some sort of reading comprehension problem? You sure take things out of context. That's a question. It requires either a yes or no answer. Not making a judgement call.

You also failed to answer my other very simple question. What in particular are you so tightly wound up about and/or angry about? That's not a difficult question either.

I can tell you have some sort of issue with me. I'm just not sure why. From the outside anyone reading the thread carefully probably can't figure out why either. You're the only one that can answer that question.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Audio theory, Setup and Chat
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › Helpless with set up