or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread - Page 335

post #10021 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by powermonkey24 View Post

Brady..I am with you on the Elite..there is something about it that doesn't wow you on the majority of material. For me I think it is the motion handling, sharpness, and colors. Colors just don't seem as riche or saturated as the VT50, or most plasmas for that matter. I currently have cnet settings dialed in on my Elite and the color always looks washed out. The only way I can describe it is by comparing water color to oil painting. The picture never seems sharp to me either, not sure if its a result of such high contrast or what. The motion just seems to be inhiernt to lcd tvs, they just cant perform like a plasma. This tv comes close to being like a plasma, but it just isn't there..can't wait to get my VT50 back...Oh and if you game at all do not choose the Elite..seriouse screen lag on FPS!

Kevin Miller's calibration of my Elite brought about much better results than the CNET settings I had been using.
post #10022 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by powermonkey24 View Post

Brady..I am with you on the Elite..there is something about it that doesn't wow you on the majority of material. For me I think it is the motion handling, sharpness, and colors. Colors just don't seem as riche or saturated as the VT50, or most plasmas for that matter. I currently have cnet settings dialed in on my Elite and the color always looks washed out. The only way I can describe it is by comparing water color to oil painting. The picture never seems sharp to me either, not sure if its a result of such high contrast or what. The motion just seems to be inhiernt to lcd tvs, they just cant perform like a plasma. This tv comes close to being like a plasma, but it just isn't there..can't wait to get my VT50 back...Oh and if you game at all do not choose the Elite..seriouse screen lag on FPS!

Wow this is the first I have ever heard of screen lag on the ELITE. Not sure what FPS is but I play tons of Modern Warfare, Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Mortal Kombat, Uncharted, and many others and have NEVER ONCE had a single bit of screen lag. I would say its a settings issue. Either that or I was just a lot luckier than you and received a better display.
post #10023 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by DYAUSWINTERS View Post

Wow this is the first I have ever heard of screen lag on the ELITE. Not sure what FPS is but I play tons of Modern Warfare, Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Mortal Kombat, Uncharted, and many others and have NEVER ONCE had a single bit of screen lag. I would say its a settings issue. Either that or I was just a lot luckier than you and received a better display.

Wow..why so many instances of one panel doing one thing and another not? For 7 grand you would think there would be some quality control!
post #10024 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by powermonkey24 View Post

Wow..why so many instances of one panel doing one thing and another not? For 7 grand you would think there would be some quality control!

I didn't pay 7 grand for my 70". And about the quality control who knows, but I do know screen lag when it comes to gaming, my last set (samsung) had some screen lag. My ELITE however has none at all.
post #10025 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog750 View Post

Must be nice being able to check out this set at more than one location. The nearest location for me is over 3 hours away! Even the Magnolia center in Houston does not display the Elite nor the VT50.
That is a bummer. Sight unseen would be the answer.......
post #10026 of 14509
The elite has no noticeable lag in its gaming mode. I use the Kevin miller setting on the thx mode but with contrast at 25 and IVC at low and it looks great, much more pop then the gt50 I had. I watch some BBC life last night and it looked amazing.
post #10027 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by powermonkey24 View Post

Wow..why so many instances of one panel doing one thing and another not? For 7 grand you would think there would be some quality control!

It may be less a QC issue and more a settings issue.
post #10028 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

I haven't seen that Blu Ray. If you say that movie didn't look better last time, but you were still impressed with the Elite, it might just be a poor transfer. It happens.

Meant to say i DO remember it looking better. Edited my post.
post #10029 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by powermonkey24 View Post

Wow..why so many instances of one panel doing one thing and another not? For 7 grand you would think there would be some quality control!

We are such a small sample size and bring all issues to the table. If you go read the VT50 thread, you get the same feeling as you do here.. bad QC. We are the minority
post #10030 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by powermonkey24 View Post

Brady..I am with you on the Elite..there is something about it that doesn't wow you on the majority of material. For me I think it is the motion handling, sharpness, and colors. Colors just don't seem as riche or saturated as the VT50, or most plasmas for that matter. I currently have cnet settings dialed in on my Elite and the color always looks washed out. The only way I can describe it is by comparing water color to oil painting. The picture never seems sharp to me either, not sure if its a result of such high contrast or what. The motion just seems to be inhiernt to lcd tvs, they just cant perform like a plasma. This tv comes close to being like a plasma, but it just isn't there..can't wait to get my VT50 back...Oh and if you game at all do not choose the Elite..seriouse screen lag on FPS!

Well lets not jump the gun. I could not make a fair assessment. The TV might have been screwed up or the viewing environment was altering the image. I agree (based on my previous comparisons) the Elite doesn't have the same deep color and color saturation when compared to the VT50 but that is also something plasmas tend to do better. At the same time, the Elite has better pop. Which do you prefer is the question? There is not a wrong answer.

What is nice, is this time around both TVs have made significant strides in these categories. The VT50 does has pop and the Elite does have image depth (something I really have never seen on a LED/LCD before, your description of a painting is a good one)

I'm off to another best buy shortly.
Edited by jbrady3324 - 7/13/12 at 7:55am
post #10031 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady3324 View Post

Meant to say i DO remember it looking better. Edited my post.

Ah, OK. So it certainly seems like something changed on that unit. Same movie, same display, different picture.
post #10032 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Ah, OK. So it certainly seems like something changed on that unit. Same movie, same display, different picture.

Yup. So I finished up my session at the other best buy and ran over to this Best Buy again. I am standing in front of the TV now and something is up. I think the TV needs to be serviced. I am looking really closely and I can see a faint white line across the entire screen where the picture meets the black letterbox bars (top and bottom). Almost like those pixels are being lazy.

Also there are figure prints all over the screen. That sure doesn't help!
post #10033 of 14509
You may not have paid 7 grand but you certainly didnt pay near what the VT50 is even at full price. I love how a TV that is half the price can give this over priced set a run for its money, and how all the full array backlit local dimming sets want to be "plasma like"
post #10034 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by powermonkey24 View Post

You may not have paid 7 grand but you certainly didnt pay near what the VT50 is even at full price. I love how a TV that is half the price can give this over priced set a run for its money, and how all the full array backlit local dimming sets want to be "plasma like"

We get it, price was a major factor for YOU. Maybe if you make another twelve posts about it, you will finally feel better about your choice.

In my opinion, there are 3 factors that one should consider in buying the Elite.

1. Viewing angle (Seriously though, you're gonna buy this TV and sit off-center of your home theater speakers or worse, not have one. Yikes!)
2. DSE (Most seem to have it to some degree. Mine does but it not a problem for me)
3. Price (Yes price, Mr Monkey, since everyone has different financial circumstances)



Note to jbrady, I wouldn't fret much about the pulsing. Its very easily minimized to the point of non-existence, if you even see it at all.


Last comment. What would a post in this thread be without the obligiatory VT50 remark. I feel fairly certain that my 2 year old son would enjoy the VT50 in his playroom , where he could watch the "new old car movie"(thats Cars, he calls Car 2 the "new car movie") over and over again. Now how I would feel about the image he would burn into the screen....
post #10035 of 14509
Alright, I am back and my decision is made.

First thing first, the viewing angle isn't that bad on the 70" Elite given how large it is. The 60" definitely can definitely be crippled by the viewing angle. So for my viewing environment, this is not a concern. So it came down to color (accuracy and depth). I am not sure if the TV had the patch or not, but I did notice any pulsing or haloing (ok yea, if I put my face against the screen close at the I could make a case for some haloing, but that doesn't count!)

I watched Dark Knight (all around), Aliens (for dark scenes with whites), Star Trek (deep blacks with tons of color)

Black Level and Contrast
I already know the Elite trumps when it comes to black level, but I have to comment on it again. Based on black level and pop, Star Trek and Aliens are absolutely stunning on the Elite. In terms of black level, I felt as if I was watching this on my 500m (deeper blacks than 141,111,151,600m) with just a bit more pop, especially when it came to the whites. Space scenes in Star trek just have amazing color pop. It is like watching an image on top of a sheet of black glass. Cool stuff. The blacks appear deeper here than the 500m because of the brightness of the color. I've watched each of these on my VT50 and they are stunning as well. Not trying to knock the VT50 as it is just about on the same level as a 151/141 in terms of black level and we all know that is damn good. During mid to high APL scenes, the VT50 stands firm with the Elite. Whites are brighter on the Elite, but overall the scenes are just as stunning on each TV. If all I watched was movies with dark scenes, I would have a tough time not choosing the Elite. Anyways, overall the Elite wins in this category which is no surprise. But it isn't as far ahead as you might think.

Color Accuracy
I am keeping this section short. Color accuracy isn't really an issue. The colors are pleasing and accurate. If accuracy is the only thing holding you back from purchasing the Elite, my recommendation would be to purchase the Elite. Flesh tones in Dark Knight and Star Trek both looked great. Not a factor in my decision as overtime I would just accept it and forget it wasn't 100% accurate.

Color Depth
Here is where the VT50 wins and where the displays start to look different. Unlike most LED/LCDs, the Elite does have color depth and good amount of it. However, the VT50 has more. It gives you that natural feel that I enjoy so much. I would say the advantage that the Elite has in black level is the same advantage the VT50 has in color depth and saturation with a slight edge to the VT50 (The VT50 loses to the kuro/500m in is this category)

Motion
The VT50 wins. The Elite is very good though. I would accept the difference in motion over time and stop caring. So honestly, this isn't factoring into my decision a whole lot.

So which TV is better? I really can't say. I'm not sure. Technically the answer is clear and in the eyes of many professionals the answer is also clear, however for the enthusiast and consumer, I think it comes down to values and preference. I do know I will be sticking with the VT50 as I prefer better color depth and saturation. But it is hard to walk away from the amazing black level and color pop the Elite provides.

Next year will be interesting. I think The Elite has more to improve on and more headroom than the VT50. Thus I think the Elite can surpass the Kuro next year while the VTx0 might only be able to match it. IMO
Edited by jbrady3324 - 7/13/12 at 10:21am
post #10036 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhtatum View Post

We get it, price was a major factor for YOU. Maybe if you make another twelve posts about it, you will finally feel better about your choice.
In my opinion, there are 3 factors that one should consider in buying the Elite.
1. Viewing angle (Seriously though, you're gonna buy this TV and sit off-center of your home theater speakers or worse, not have one. Yikes!)
2. DSE (Most seem to have it to some degree. Mine does but it not a problem for me)
3. Price (Yes price, Mr Monkey, since everyone has different financial circumstances)
Note to jbrady, I wouldn't fret much about the pulsing. Its very easily minimized to the point of non-existence, if you even see it at all.
Last comment. What would a post in this thread be without the obligiatory VT50 remark. I feel fairly certain that my 2 year old son would enjoy the VT50 in his playroom , where he could watch the "new old car movie"(thats Cars, he calls Car 2 the "new car movie") over and over again. Now how I would feel about the image he would burn into the screen....

Playing the same movie over and over again would not burn in an image.

Viewing angle can be a factor. A lot of owners have families and want to place the TV in their living room that isn't designed to cater to a LED/LCD TV ( couches that are not all dead on, etc). At my parents house this is a problem. I am the oldest of 4 kids and at home we race to get one of the 3 seats that are dead on when we are watching a movie.
Edited by jbrady3324 - 7/13/12 at 12:05pm
post #10037 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady3324 View Post

Yup. So I finished up my session at the other best buy and ran over to this Best Buy again. I am standing in front of the TV now and something is up. I think the TV needs to be serviced. I am looking really closely and I can see a faint white line across the entire screen where the picture meets the black letterbox bars (top and bottom). Almost like those pixels are being lazy.
Also there are figure prints all over the screen. That sure doesn't help!

Best Buy has a way of jacking Displays up , I took home 2 Different floor displays from BB and both displays were jacked beyond help .
post #10038 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady3324 View Post

Playing the same movie over and over again would not burn in an image.
Viewing angle is a factor. A lot of owners have families and want to place the TV in their living room that isn't designed to cater to a LED/LCD TV ( couches that are not all dead on, etc). At my parents house this is a problem. I am the oldest of 4 kids and at home we race to get one of the 3 seats that are dead on when we are watching a movie.

I have enjoyed your objective approach and analysis in finding the right TV for you. You have certainly done your due diligence. You can finally get back to just enjoying the darn thing!
post #10039 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhtatum View Post

I have enjoyed your objective approach and analysis in finding the right TV for you. You have certainly done your due diligence. You can finally get back to just enjoying the darn thing!

Seriously.. almost 60 days spent on this! It just goes to show how good both of these TVs are. If I could buy both for certain movies I would

Thanks for the kind words as well.
Edited by jbrady3324 - 7/13/12 at 12:05pm
post #10040 of 14509
jbrady:

Good analysis and post. However, I would love to get a good feel how these overall comparisons add up in a room with a lot of ambient light. I've read that the VT50 really pales in comparison for daytime viewing. I've also read that it performs outstanding in ambient light. I'm really not sure who to believe on this. My instincts say the former since I've never seen a plasma perform well in anything above almost complete darkness.
post #10041 of 14509
Boy I've been away for awhile and the bickering still is going on !!!! ;-)
post #10042 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog750 View Post

jbrady:
Good analysis and post. However, I would love to get a good feel how these overall comparisons add up in a room with a lot of ambient light. I've read that the VT50 really pales in comparison for daytime viewing. I've also read that it performs outstanding in ambient light. I'm really not sure who to believe on this. My instincts say the former since I've never seen a plasma perform well in anything above almost complete darkness.

Well ambient light and bright room are different. The VT50 performs very well with ambient light as long as it is not directly hitting/concentrated on the screen (sunshine). In fact, ambient light (if well placed or off to the side (kitchen light, next room lights are on, etc)) will give the VT50 (perceived) better blacks and contrast. For example, if put a backlight behind your VT50, the perceived contrast and black level will improve.

As for a bright room, the VT50 does a good job (best of any plasma), but the Elite does a MUCH better job. The VT50 has enough brightness to do fine with daytime scenes in a bright room, but dark scenes are where it still has issues. Blacks will wash out and reflections will become obvious. The Elite's screen is just as reflective, if not more reflective, but you won't have washed out blacks

At the end of the day, any LED/LCD will be better for daytime viewing in a bright room when it comes to contrast and pop. The accurate colors of a plasma will hold up well during the daytime, but the blacks will suffer if a lot of light is hitting the screen. My VT50 is right next to two large windows and during the day the screen is still very watchable, however, the sunlight hitting the screen causes blacks to light/washout
Edited by jbrady3324 - 7/13/12 at 11:47am
post #10043 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady3324 View Post

Well ambient light and bright room are different. The VT50 performs very well with ambient light as long as it is not directly hitting/concentrated on the screen (sunshine). In fact, ambient light (if well placed or off to the side) will give the VT50 (perceived) better blacks and contrast. For example, if put a backlight behind your VT50, the perceived contrast and black level will improve.
As for a bright room, the VT50 does a good job (best of any plasma), but the Elite does a MUCH better job. The VT50 has enough brightness to do fine with daytime scenes in a bright room, but dark scenes are where it still has issues. Blacks will wash out and reflections will become obvious. The Elite's screen is just as reflective, if not more reflective, but you won't have washed out blacks

My 60x5fd sits in a very bright living room surrounded by double windows. Reflections can be annoying during the day, but the picture is so bright that you just see through the reflections.

In such conditions, a LED tv is a very obvious choice IMO.
post #10044 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by guima View Post

My 60x5fd sits in a very bright living room surrounded by double windows. Reflections can be annoying during the day, but the picture is so bright that you just see through the reflections.
In such conditions, a LED tv is a very obvious choice IMO.

I wouldn't say it is the obvious choice, but if you have to have the best PQ during the day, then it most certainly is. In that regard, I completely agree.

To the OP, spin over to Best Buy and take a look at the VT50. That is probably the most extreme case.
Edited by jbrady3324 - 7/13/12 at 12:03pm
post #10045 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by guima View Post

My 60x5fd sits in a very bright living room surrounded by double windows. Reflections can be annoying during the day, but the picture is so bright that you just see through the reflections.
In such conditions, a LED tv is a very obvious choice IMO.
In bright scenes the Elite holds on to contrast better but the VT is still pleasing. In a low APL scene, they both suck as the glare is horrible (and this applies to ALL tvs with a glossy screen). The difference is that the Elite stays black and the VT washes out. but it doesn't make a difference because both produce a big blob of glare.

I still have both in my home, with the Elite now disconnected and moved to another room as the wife got tired of two large displays taking up "her" living room.tongue.gif

As J has mentioned, the choice between these two displays is not an easy one, and I made a decision based off other criteria as I was at a loss.

PS.I have a large window right in front of the display with three large windows to the left and I have to draw the blind in the front as the glare is distracting on either one.
post #10046 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by obxdiver View Post

I also use the Oppo BDP-93 BD player with my 70" Elite.
I have 3x 2TB external hard drives connected to it loaded with BD ISO's that I ripped from my entire collection of BD discs.
I never load silver discs in the tray anymore.
The BDP-93 is THE best BD player money can buy ...IMO...note...I wrote IMO. wink.gif
The 3D from the Oppo to the Elite can't be beat. It continues to amaze me, my friends, and all others who see it for the 1st time.

Nice pics.

I was just about to pull the trigger on the Oppo BDP-93 last week to pair with my Elite when I realized it no longer supports .iso playback (unless you can find one with older firmware). Total bummer as I have been backing up all my blu-rays (2D and 3D) to .iso files and was really looking forward to eliminating the need for using discs all the time.
post #10047 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

Boy I've been away for awhile and the bickering still is going on !!!! ;-)

DUDE!!! It simply never ends!rolleyes.gif
post #10048 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady3324 View Post

I wouldn't say it is the obvious choice, but if you have to have the best PQ during the day, then it most certainly is. In that regard, I completely agree.
To the OP, spin over to Best Buy and take a look at the VT50. That is probably the most extreme case.

Thank you again jdbrady. I will just have to make the trip to see the Elite next to the VT50 myself. Unfortunately the closest Magnolia Center that has the Elite is 3 1/2 hours away in New Orleans. I would have figured the Houston Magnolia Center was up to date enough to carry one but they have neither the Elite nor the VT50 available for display.
post #10049 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog750 View Post

Thank you again jdbrady. I will just have to make the trip to see the Elite next to the VT50 myself. Unfortunately the closest Magnolia Center that has the Elite is 3 1/2 hours away in New Orleans. I would have figured the Houston Magnolia Center was up to date enough to carry one but they have neither the Elite nor the VT50 available for display.
The Magnolia that I went to in San Antonio had both the 70" Elite and 65" VT50 on display, but it's probably the same exact distance from you as the one in New Orleans.eek.gif
post #10050 of 14509
Can someone tell me if this TV supports PAL playback? I have the 60" model.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread