or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread - Page 399

post #11941 of 14509
FWIW you better but a ZT60 on day one because just as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow there will be people who have problems with their ZT60.

No set is perfect. Buy what you want and try it out. You can always return it if a problem arises.
post #11942 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3W813 View Post


wink.gif

The chart shows the saturation sweep of the color gamut using Elite's default settings, not calibrated settings. I couldn't remember what mode this was in; it may be either Movie THX or ISF Night.

Here is a calibrated (using 75%) saturation sweep chart of one of my previous calibrations on ISF Night mode. smile.gif



I realized after I read your post that you weren't trying to show a calibrated gamut.

But this isn't much better. If nothing else, shouldn't 75% saturation be on target all the way around?
post #11943 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardia View Post

I was just about to get one of these sets but these threads have managed to freak me out. I think I will go with the panny ZT60 instead.

Me too. I was just about to pull the trigger on the 70" until I read about the issues that seem to cropping up lately. To get a killer price you need to order online. If you order online its a one shot deal. No returns. I just can't afford to gamble with $6K.

I'm waiting for the ZT60 as well. Looks like it might be a sweet TV.

-Brian
post #11944 of 14509
Received Elite 70" #5 and green /pinkish blotches continue on this unit too. This time green is in the middle of the screen, and rosy red is on both sides. On top of that, set exhibits fair amount of typical DSE that I did not see before. Best Buy was promising a set from the new batch but I ended up with the set from the same Nov2012 batch and with serial numbers very close together.
A week ago, I started shopping for regular full-array 70" Sharp from a year ago and found 70LE732U from the local guy. I went to see it today and I must say that the screen is perfectly uniform grey, no problem at all. So all that BS about limitation of LCD technology and DSE being on every set that Sharp gave me is just that - BS. 70LE732U is 12 months old set and QC were present at the Mexico facility. I did not buy it because I could not stand the blacks, or lack of black and on top of that viewing angles on the set were really worst that I have seen. Major color shift even 3-4 feet off center.
post #11945 of 14509
Thought I would finally make a post in this thread. I have recently been looking for a new TV to replace my nearly 7 year old Sony LCD TV. I am not really the person that has to have the latest technology and often buy closeout deals or products near the end of their life cycles. Knowing that this is usually the best time to buy a TV, with the new models being announced and the current line seeing substantial discounts, I headed out and took a look at what was available. I knew about the Elite TV's from when they were first announced over a year and half ago, but like a lot of buyers I simply marveled at the outstanding picture quality and deep blacks, but pretty much took them off my list because of the high prices, and not really being something I could justify spending that kind of money. So I decided to take advantage of the substantial discounts that have recently cropped up on the Panasonic VT50 line. I want get into price, since it's not really recommended on the forums, but suffice to say I think most people are aware of what many of these flat panels are going for at the moment.

So anyway I took the salesman advice and went with the 65" VT50 (As a note: The Elite's were no longer being stocked at the BB near where I live, and I was told by the salesman that the line had been discontinued and they could not order any more sets.) So it pretty much made my buying decision rather easy, as no other set they had in stock or could order approached the picture of the Panasonic. Skipping ahead I had the TV delivered and setup and used my silver status as a Rewards Zone member to have the set calibrated. First few days were good. Colors looked very accurate, though not with the same amount of pop I am used to, but still the picture was very nice. Contrast was good, with dark areas showing good shadow detail and blacks looking deep. But the more dark content I watched, such as Cabin in the Woods (BD) I started to notice what I could only describe as small white dots in the black areas. (Sorry I am not much of a videophile, my expertise is in audio.) I am not sure if this is what is known as "dithering" or something else. Anyway the problem seemed to vary greatly depending on the content. Also while watching the same movie as listed above, some of the really dark areas descended into a slight fog, instead of the detail that should be there. Note this was not a problem most of the time and it could be a problem with that specific movie or how it was encoded. I am really not 100% sure. But the main problem I had with the Panasonic was that it would flicker like crazy on bright scenes. I tried adjusting the refresh rates, but it still persisted to some degree. Aside from these issues the picture was still tough to resist. On other movies like Harry Potter (last film in the series) the black levels and shadow detail were excellent, right up there with some of the best I have seen. Interestingly on this film, I didn't notice any of the slight gray fog in the shadows, and saw plenty of detail. But I did still notice some picture noise on the darkest of content. Best way to describe it, was like the white dots were dancing in the background. Unfortunately my wife experienced the flickering also and stated that I should contact BB.

I went back to the store and spoke to a different salesperson and stated my observations. He recommended that I look at a comparable LCD flat panel. Looked at the displays in the MHT department. Then I overheard another customer in the MHT who was apparently purchasing an Elite TV, 70 inch in size. I was confused because the other salesperson indicated that they had no stock of the Elites. The salesperson stated that MHT was selling the two demo models they had setup. I went over and watched the 60 inch version. Picture looked incredible with the content that was on the BB demo reel, but I asked the salesperson if I could come back the next day, which was Saturday with my wife, and if I could bring some discs with we to get a better idea of just what the TV had to offer. He agreed. So next day I brought in a few blu-ray disc tiles, including the same copy of Cabin in the Woods that I had watched a couple of nights earlier. The salesperson, who was wonderful BTW, hooked a blu-ray player up to the TV and we popped in Cabin in the Woods. I skipped ahead to the very dark scenes that I has seen on the Panasonic. The first thing I noticed was that the white noise in the dark areas was gone. I could also see the fine details in the shadows that were a slight gray fog in some cases on the Panasonic. Most importantly I saw no flickering, which had really driven me crazy with the Panasonic. For what it's worth the screen looked perfect, at least to my eyes. The colors were certainly more vidid, and perhaps slightly more saturated on the Elite, as compared to the Panasonic, and I was told that a calibration would take care of that to a degree - though even the salesperson agreed that the colors would not be quite as accurate as the Panasonic. So it really came done to which little caveats I could live with. In the end the floor model was substantially discounted and I decided to take the plunge.

Please forgive me for the incredibly long post, I do tend to ramble. But BB will be swapping the sets early next week. I will post my more thorough impression then and of course any problems with the set that I notice. Though I will go ahead and state up front that my impressions of what make a good picture might be little help to many potential buyers. For example, I don't mind slightly more vivid colors and I couldn't tell you much about the grayscale or any other issues others may have noticed. But I will post my findings anyway for anyone who is interested.
Edited by Matts - 1/15/13 at 9:25pm
post #11946 of 14509
Matts

White sparkles in dark areas sounds a lot like a loose HDMI or bad HDMI cable. Check to see if both ends are fully inserted.
post #11947 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Matts

White sparkles in dark areas sounds a lot like a loose HDMI or bad HDMI cable. Check to see if both ends are fully inserted.

Thanks Jim. I have since disconnected the Panasonic and put it back in it's box as it will be swapped this weekend. It is very possible that it could have been a problem with connection, though I used an older HDMI cable that seemed to work fine with an older Sony set. It could also be that I an not accurately describing the problem. I should also point out that I have very little experience with Plasma sets so it could have been something that I noticed that could have gone away with a proper setting or with a little more time for the Plasma to break-in. BTW, I still believe that picture was incredible.
post #11948 of 14509
Guys I am trying to keep up with the new issue while on vacation. Is the latest color problem just on the 70? I have the 60, but am upgrading to the 70 next week when I get home. This is through Best Buy in Illinois. Thanks Jon.
post #11949 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvzzz View Post

Received Elite 70" #5 and green /pinkish blotches continue on this unit too. This time green is in the middle of the screen, and rosy red is on both sides. On top of that, set exhibits fair amount of typical DSE that I did not see before. Best Buy was promising a set from the new batch but I ended up with the set from the same Nov2012 batch and with serial numbers very close together.
A week ago, I started shopping for regular full-array 70" Sharp from a year ago and found 70LE732U from the local guy. I went to see it today and I must say that the screen is perfectly uniform grey, no problem at all. So all that BS about limitation of LCD technology and DSE being on every set that Sharp gave me is just that - BS. 70LE732U is 12 months old set and QC were present at the Mexico facility. I did not buy it because I could not stand the blacks, or lack of black and on top of that viewing angles on the set were really worst that I have seen. Major color shift even 3-4 feet off center.

And it looks like Nov. builds may be the last. I really think their might been some QC issues on the Nov. builds.
post #11950 of 14509
Matts, interesting post, thanks. Good luck with your new display.

FWIW, I too noticed exactly the issue you described with my 60" Kuro plasma. However in my case it was only noticeable in those dark areas at closer than normal viewing distances, not at my regular seating position. But it was there. In my case it was not an HDMI cable causing the issue as I had swapped it out.
post #11951 of 14509
Well, some of the previous problems I was seeing have cropped up again (pulsing and some blacks turning purplish-gray for a second or two). However, it is only intermittent and a tech isn't going to sit there and watch a whole movie waiting for the problem to show up. If this were a $1500 TV I wouldn't mind it but even at 27% off its a $6300 TV after tax.

I've already gotten used to the larger size, so going back to my old 52" will be difficult. But I guess I will wait on the next generation of TVs

EDIT: On an interesting note, I finally hooked up my Darbee to the Elite that I was previously using on my projector. I was surprised that it made a significant improvement to the picture quality. It made only a marginal difference in PQ on my projector and I thought it would be hardly noticeable on the TV but I was wrong on that.
Edited by kdog750 - 1/16/13 at 7:18am
post #11952 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog750 View Post

Well, some of the previous problems I was seeing have cropped up again (pulsing and some blacks turning purplish-gray for a second or two). However, it is only intermittent and a tech isn't going to sit there and watch a whole movie waiting for the problem to show up. If this were a $1500 TV I wouldn't mind it but even at 27% off its a $6300 TV after tax.

I've already gotten used to the larger size, so going back to my old 52" will be difficult. But I guess I will wait on the next generation of TVs

EDIT: On an interesting note, I finally hooked up my Darbee to the Elite that I was previously using on my projector. I was surprised that it made a significant improvement to the picture quality. It made only a marginal difference in PQ on my projector and I thought it would be hardly noticeable on the TV but I was wrong on that.
blacks turning purple is a really strange one that I've never seen or even heard before, and for you to get two sets to do this just boggles my mind. Sorry for your problems, maybe there are quality control issues with the latest builds... Sad really as this is such a gorgeous display.
post #11953 of 14509
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post

Thought I would finally make a post in this thread. I have recently been looking for a new TV to replace my nearly 7 year old Sony LCD TV. I am not really the person that has to have the latest technology and often buy closeout deals or products near the end of their life cycles. Knowing that this is usually the best time to buy a TV, with the new models being announced and the current line seeing substantial discounts, I headed out and took a look at what was available. I knew about the Elite TV's from when they were first announced over a year and half ago, but like a lot of buyers I simply marveled at the outstanding picture quality and deep blacks, but pretty much took them off my list because of the high prices, and not really being something I could justify spending that kind of money. So I decided to take advantage of the substantial discounts that have recently cropped up on the Panasonic VT50 line. I want get into price, since it's not really recommended on the forums, but suffice to say I think most people are aware of what many of these flat panels are going for at the moment.

So anyway I took the salesman advice and went with the 65" VT50 (As a note: The Elite's were no longer being stocked at the BB near where I live, and I was told by the salesman that the line had been discontinued and they could not order any more sets.) So it pretty much made my buying decision rather easy, as no other set they had in stock or could order approached the picture of the Panasonic. Skipping ahead I had the TV delivered and setup and used my silver status as a Rewards Zone member to have the set calibrated. First few days were good. Colors looked very accurate, though not with the same amount of pop I am used to, but still the picture was very nice. Contrast was good, with dark areas showing good shadow detail and blacks looking deep. But the more dark content I watched, such as Cabin in the Woods (BD) I started to notice what I could only describe as small white dots in the black areas. (Sorry I am not much of a videophile, my expertise is in audio.) I am not sure if this is what is known as "dithering" or something else. Anyway the problem seemed to vary greatly depending on the content. Also while watching the same movie as listed above, some of the really dark areas descended into a slight fog, instead of the detail that should be there. Note this was not a problem most of the time and it could be a problem with that specific movie or how it was encoded. I am really not 100% sure. But the main problem I had with the Panasonic was that it would flicker like crazy on bright scenes. I tried adjusting the refresh rates, but it still persisted to some degree. Aside from these issues the picture was still tough to resist. On other movies like Harry Potter (last film in the series) the black levels and shadow detail were excellent, right up there with some of the best I have seen. Interestingly on this film, I didn't notice any of the slight gray fog in the shadows, and saw plenty of detail. But I did still notice some picture noise on the darkest of content. Best way to describe it, was like the white dots were dancing in the background. Unfortunately my wife experienced the flickering also and stated that I should contact BB.

I went back to the store and spoke to a different salesperson and stated my observations. He recommended that I look at a comparable LCD flat panel. Looked at the displays in the MHT department. Then I overheard another customer in the MHT who was apparently purchasing an Elite TV, 70 inch in size. I was confused because the other salesperson indicated that they had no stock of the Elites. The salesperson stated that MHT was selling the two demo models they had setup. I went over and watched the 60 inch version. Picture looked incredible with the content that was on the BB demo reel, but I asked the salesperson if I could come back the next day, which was Saturday with my wife, and if I could bring some discs with we to get a better idea of just what the TV had to offer. He agreed. So next day I brought in a few blu-ray disc tiles, including the same copy of Cabin in the Woods that I had watched a couple of nights earlier. The salesperson, who was wonderful BTW, hooked a blu-ray player up to the TV and we popped in Cabin in the Woods. I skipped ahead to the very dark scenes that I has seen on the Panasonic. The first thing I noticed was that the white noise in the dark areas was gone. I could also see the fine details in the shadows that were a slight gray fog in some cases on the Panasonic. Most importantly I saw no flickering, which had really driven me crazy with the Panasonic. For what it's worth the screen looked perfect, at least to my eyes. The colors were certainly more vidid, and perhaps slightly more saturated on the Elite, as compared to the Panasonic, and I was told that a calibration would take care of that to a degree - though even the salesperson agreed that the colors would not be quite as accurate as the Panasonic. So it really came done to which little caveats I could live with. In the end the floor model was substantially discounted and I decided to take the plunge.

Please forgive me for the incredibly long post, I do tend to ramble. But BB will be swapping the sets early next week. I will post my more thorough impression then and of course any problems with the set that I notice. Though I will go ahead and state up front that my impressions of what make a good picture might be little help to many potential buyers. For example, I don't mind slightly more vivid colors and I couldn't tell you much about the grayscale or any other issues others may have noticed. But I will post my findings anyway for anyone who is interested.

Hi Matts and ty for sharing your story with us, a bad HDMI cable would not cause that kind of issue and in studies showing you would not even get a picture if you had a bad HDMI cable. It was most likely your Panasonic Plasma set causing the issue since you have ruled out poor source material on the Elite. I think you made a wise decision going with the Elite, big congrats and welcome to the Elite club! biggrin.gif
post #11954 of 14509
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge View Post

Guys I am trying to keep up with the new issue while on vacation. Is the latest color problem just on the 70? I have the 60, but am upgrading to the 70 next week when I get home. This is through Best Buy in Illinois. Thanks Jon.

The color problem you're referring to is not really a problem as you put it and would not be something you could see outside of a comparison test unless you are watching very specific source material and have a professional calibrators eye. So the issue effects a specific luminance value that is extremely hard to see outside of a comparison test side by side with a very accurate display. And yes it effects both size Elites. cool.gif
post #11955 of 14509
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

And it looks like Nov. builds may be the last. I really think their might been some QC issues on the Nov. builds.

Might be, my heart goes out to those who have got a defective set because this Elite really is the best display I've ever seen to date. In fact I don't expect anything to be better in the near future until they perfect OLED way down the road cool.gif
post #11956 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneWildersHair View Post

blacks turning purple is a really strange one that I've never seen or even heard before, and for you to get two sets to do this just boggles my mind. Sorry for your problems, maybe there are quality control issues with the latest builds... Sad really as this is such a gorgeous display.

Sorry for the confusion, it's just this one set. When I ordered this Elite I had already made the decision that it was a one shot deal. Either it it was going to perform superbly or I stay with what I have. The blacks turning purplish gray is only for a second or two and it might happen once out of every two blu ray movies. But it's always the first 2 seconds of a scene change. And I've seen it occur both in blu ray movies and the Netflix app so it's not the source but rather something strange going on in the TV.

The flickering is more constant though and usually happens several times per movie. Usually in a scene where there is partial brightness. It's very similiar to what it would look like if there was a candle flickering in a dimly lit room.
post #11957 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog750 View Post


The flickering is more constant though and usually happens several times per movie. Usually in a scene where there is partial brightness. It's very similiar to what it would look like if there was a candle flickering in a dimly lit room.

That certainly sounds like the pulsing issue. I'm not sure if your display has the latest software update. Sharp sent one out awhile ago that greatly reduced this issue.

The purple thing is truly bizarre. I've never seen anyone comment on that on either the 60 or 70.
post #11958 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvzzz View Post

Received Elite 70" #5 and green /pinkish blotches continue on this unit too. This time green is in the middle of the screen, and rosy red is on both sides. On top of that, set exhibits fair amount of typical DSE that I did not see before. Best Buy was promising a set from the new batch but I ended up with the set from the same Nov2012 batch and with serial numbers very close together.
A week ago, I started shopping for regular full-array 70" Sharp from a year ago and found 70LE732U from the local guy. I went to see it today and I must say that the screen is perfectly uniform grey, no problem at all. So all that BS about limitation of LCD technology and DSE being on every set that Sharp gave me is just that - BS. 70LE732U is 12 months old set and QC were present at the Mexico facility. I did not buy it because I could not stand the blacks, or lack of black and on top of that viewing angles on the set were really worst that I have seen. Major color shift even 3-4 feet off center.

I am beginning to think that the new batch from Nov2012 may be using a different panel? I have had 3 different 70s in the past 15 months and the first two do not have the green/pink patches whatsoever, perfect uniformity. My lastest replacement set is a Nov2012 received last week and it definitely has green/pink patches. Can you see it most of the time? No. Noticeable when there is content with large white/grey backgrounds. Would I return the set if I could? You betcha. Unfortunately, I can't. I will have to live with it.

Couple of things this new Nov12 set is better than my previous 2 sets. Much better greyscale out-of-the-box on both Movie THX and ISF modes. Also has better color balance after calibration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51 View Post

The color problem you're referring to is not really a problem as you put it and would not be something you could see outside of a comparison test unless you are watching very specific source material and have a professional calibrators eye. So the issue effects a specific luminance value that is extremely hard to see outside of a comparison test side by side with a very accurate display. And yes it effects both size Elites. cool.gif

I don't think Surge was talking about the cyan color issue. The 'latest' color problem is the green/pink patches on the Nov12 sets. So far, I believe all Nov12 set owners have reported seeing this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

I realized after I read your post that you weren't trying to show a calibrated gamut.

But this isn't much better. If nothing else, shouldn't 75% saturation be on target all the way around?

I knew someone was going to ask this question sooner or later. wink.gif

Yes, I could have moved all the 75% perfectly into their respective target squares, BUT that would not have resulted in the best quality image (at least on the Elite). smile.gif You CANNOT rely just on charts and numbers when doing a calibration. You will also have to view real world content to verify the calibration produces correct colors output, then adjust the CMS controls accordingly. The Elite does have color tracking issues with most of the colors so when calibrating the set, you will have to average out the range of errors and make sure not one section (ie. 75-100% saturation) is not totally off its reference while sacrificing some error at the middle to lower ends.

The chart I posted also only represent the hue and saturation of the colors, no luminance (the 'value' control in the CMS) values. The biggest challenge is, the Elite's CMS controls are not implemented correctly. Changing hue and saturation for one color may also change its luminance, changing red settings affect magenta, changing blue settings affect cyan, etc. So what I had to do is determine the best settings that averages out the lowest errors, watch reference content, then go back and adjust the CMS again. Painstakingly slow process, but required if you want the best image possible for the Elite. biggrin.gif
post #11959 of 14509
Best Buy in Westbury Still has the 70" Elit on Display as of 1-11-13.
post #11960 of 14509
Thread Starter 
Quote:
I don't think Surge was talking about the cyan color issue. The 'latest' color problem is the green/pink patches on the Nov12 sets. So far, I believe all Nov12 set owners have reported seeing this

Thank you for clarifying that N3W813, I agree something is very strange with this Elite if he seeing something like that.
post #11961 of 14509
Yes, Nov batch is indeed defective, or actually I agree it is probably using some Grade B leftover panels. If 12 months old 70le732u can produce perfectly uniform greyscale and Nov2012 Elite cannot, then it must be manufacturing issue. Given that they stopped production of Elites, no more point in trying. It is sad that there is nothing to buy with same level of blacks, contrasty whites and brightness even in 65 inch. VT50 whites are just yellow to me.
post #11962 of 14509
It is sad that Sharp has stopped production on these tv's. I really wish you, and others could enjoy what my family has been enjoying for almost a year now. The picture still impresses us. And I agree there isn't an LED out that can match the beauty of this display. Plasma has and always be a definite no for me, as I have a large family that sometimes watches 4:3 programming, channels wih bright big logos, espn, and play a lot video games.
post #11963 of 14509
^^^ Wow, that's news to me..........plenty coming in at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvzzz View Post

Yes, Nov batch is indeed defective, or actually I agree it is probably using some Grade B leftover panels. If 12 months old 70le732u can produce perfectly uniform greyscale and Nov2012 Elite cannot, then it must be manufacturing issue. Given that they stopped production of Elites, no more point in trying. It is sad that there is nothing to buy with same level of blacks, contrasty whites and brightness even in 65 inch. VT50 whites are just yellow to me.
The statement above makes it sound as if every set made in Nov has been tested and looked at. I can say, I sure am glad there are still non-defective units built in Nov.
post #11964 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Wow, that's news to me..........plenty coming in at this point.

Well for the record I haven't read anything official on Sharp stopping production, just thought since I keep reading here, that others knew something I didn't.
post #11965 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

^^^ Wow, that's news to me..........plenty coming in at this point.
The statement above makes it sound as if every set made in Nov has been tested and looked at. I can say, I sure am glad there are still non-defective units built in Nov.

I would expect you of all here would know if they were stopping production. Always trust your inputs.
post #11966 of 14509
Wow.. having seen so many posts on this thread for awhile now. I truly feel bad for people with panel issues having uniformity/color issues and hope Sharp is not taking short cuts in any form.

With regard to the green/pink patch on grey display, I looked for it on my 70" (bought in July) and I think I am seeing it too but it is relatively faint. I really can't stare at the screen for too long as my eyes start to play tricks on me. I also looked at the secondary yellow color (if there were overshot of green, it should distort the yellow, right?) and I don't see any variation with yellow. I actually look through all the primary and secondary colors (full screen) and I can't tell any variation in color uniformity. Also no issue in watching TV or BD contents.

About pulsing or flashes, I have seen this occasional and it is just one or two flashes the most and very hard to repeat. So I am ignoring it.

About Darbee, I have returned mine as it did not do too much for me. I only view the shows in THX (self calibrated) and now in isf night (also self calibrated). This is one fine tv and the best I ever have.

About extended service plan. I received an email from Sharp about 3 months ago which I ignored. And I just received another "invitation" today. So I guess it is not an one time offer. They know who have not taken the deal and I guess they are keeping those in their dialing list.
post #11967 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjr View Post

I honestly can't remember if I have seen this problem. I finally started streaming Netflix. I hooked up digital audio out to my amp, but I can only get stereo out, not Dolby digital. All I can get from the optical is stereo. What am I doing wrong? By the way, I have had no troubles at all with my wonderfully calibrated 70".

When you say "amp", do you mean your receiver? Are you getting Dobly from broadcast TV over the optical cable? Have you tried using an HDMI cable from the TV to the amp and using Audio Return Channel? I know I also had an issue with having to call Sharp to figure out how to get the TV to send Dolby out using ARC, so it may be the way the sets come from the factory (set to send PCM). I seem to recall there is a setting in the menu controls. Call Elite service and they can walk you through it.
post #11968 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvzzz View Post

VT50 whites are just yellow to me.
It is my belief (and based on reviewer/calibrator/owner comments) that this can be calibrated out.
post #11969 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3W813 View Post

...snip...

I knew someone was going to ask this question sooner or later. wink.gif

Yes, I could have moved all the 75% perfectly into their respective target squares, BUT that would not have resulted in the best quality image (at least on the Elite). smile.gif You CANNOT rely just on charts and numbers when doing a calibration. You will also have to view real world content to verify the calibration produces correct colors output, then adjust the CMS controls accordingly. The Elite does have color tracking issues with most of the colors so when calibrating the set, you will have to average out the range of errors and make sure not one section (ie. 75-100% saturation) is not totally off its reference while sacrificing some error at the middle to lower ends.

The chart I posted also only represent the hue and saturation of the colors, no luminance (the 'value' control in the CMS) values. The biggest challenge is, the Elite's CMS controls are not implemented correctly. Changing hue and saturation for one color may also change its luminance, changing red settings affect magenta, changing blue settings affect cyan, etc. So what I had to do is determine the best settings that averages out the lowest errors, watch reference content, then go back and adjust the CMS again. Painstakingly slow process, but required if you want the best image possible for the Elite. biggrin.gif


What were your dE's?
post #11970 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

What were your dE's?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread