or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread - Page 403

post #12061 of 14509
WOW Dvzzzz

This really, really makes me nervous. I just pulled the trigger on the 70" and apparently it will be on a shipment arriving at the distribution center in Chicago on Tuesday, and I will have to wait for 7-9 days from then for it to be delivered to me here in Canada. From what I hear from local salespeople it is being discontinued which means that I kind of feel like I am entered into a lottery as far as getting one without issues. How many have you gone through ? And did they all come from same batch ? (I keep hearing the Nov. 2012 date if I'm not correct ?)

Sorry to hear about the trials and tribulations of trying to find an acceptable set, I hope in the end you find something that you can be happy with and it helps erase what I am sure will be unhappy memories of this recent purchase.
post #12062 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvzzz View Post

Thanks, Frozen Planet was that movie that triggered my testing spree. If you do not see it, you do not have it. Early Elites were supreme and trouble free. I bet they are using diff panels in Nov2012 batch to lowcost these units.


I would still like to see other members with earlier builds to at least run the slides and see if their sets are DSE free.
post #12063 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamvmax View Post

Well it looks like Sharp cheaped out on the the newer builds. For the premium price these are selling for, this is UNACCEPTABLE. While I realize no panel is perfect, this new issue is very noticable.
Does anyone know how hard it is to produce a perfect grey scale ? I used to run 5 different full size 28 X 40 printing press's. No matter what press it is, forget it, never going to print a perfect gray scale. With this said I do not think any TV ever made would perfectly pass a grey scale test. Even pre-Nov 2012 build's would not pass a grey scale test perfectly. So we live with imperfection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvzzz View Post

If Chris is willing to go through 10+ sets to find me a grey one without green DSE before shipping, absolutely, if Chris is to ship me DSEed one and then go deal with Sharp then no thank you but no. I will let him chime in. Question is what Chris is going to do with 9 that will be with "mild and normal" DSE?
First off we only have 4 in stock, second there is no such thing as a perfect TV so what would be the point of opening the boxes ? Where would I draw the line and say that's ok ? You are the judge, not I. So unless you where right behind me there is no way I would do this.

If I was to bet, I would bet you could buy 10 of any unit being built and there would be no perfect set, a client would have to settle for some form of imperfection to some degree. Even the TC-P65VT50. Whether it is DSE, green blobs, banding, we could go on and on. If we want to look and pick and look and pick we will find flaws in every panel being made........period, end of discussion. Pretty sad, but it is what it is.

Look at our new line up off cars at the Detroit auto show, amazing vehicles. In the end emissions they produce will probably end this fine world we live in frown.gif So nice, yet so imperfect, they will destroy us all. The new 2014 Corvette's look sweet smile.gif
.
Edited by Cleveland Plasma - 1/19/13 at 5:30pm
post #12064 of 14509
This is not even about perfection anymore, this is about trying to find an acceptable $6000 TV. None of my 6 were and I documented that to prevent others making my mistakes with Nov 2012 build. This is not, no vendetta against anybody but please please do not downplay the issue that some of us running into. I am sure there are good sets somewhere, I am speaking strictly about those that I saw. I asked several times here to publish pics of the better screens and I have not see a single one...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Does anyone know how hard it is to produce a perfect grey scale ? I used to run 5 different full size 28 X 40 printing press's. No matter what press it is, forget it, never going to print a perfect gray scale. With this said I do not think any TV ever made would perfectly pass a grey scale test. Even pre-Nov 2012 build's would not pass a grey scale test perfectly. So we live with imperfection.
First off we only have 4 in stock, second there is no such thing as a perfect TV so what would be the point of opening the boxes ?
post #12065 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Does anyone know how hard it is to produce a perfect grey scale ? I used to run 5 different full size 28 X 40 printing press's. No matter what press it is, forget it, never going to print a perfect gray scale. With this said I do not think any TV ever made would perfectly pass a grey scale test. Even pre-Nov 2012 build's would not pass a grey scale test perfectly. So we live with imperfection.
First off we only have 4 in stock, second there is no such thing as a perfect TV so what would be the point of opening the boxes ?

If I was to bet, I would bet you could buy 10 of any unit being built and there would be no perfect set, a client would have to settle for some form of imperfection to some degree. Even the TC-P65VT50. Whether it is DSE, green blobs, banding, we could go on and on. If we want to look and pick and look and pick we will find flaws in every panel being made........
.

Sorry Chris, but you dont think those photos show a serious issue? I sure do. And as I stated, nothing is perfect, we agree there, but there is definitely an issue with these new panels.
post #12066 of 14509
True that nothing is perfect and if he was only seeing this on test screens then i would say he is nuts but he can see this on normal viewing and that is unacceptable on a set of any cost.
post #12067 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamvmax View Post

Sorry Chris, but you dont think those photos show a serious issue? I sure do. And as I stated, nothing is perfect, we agree there, but there is definitely an issue with these new panels.
Those are grey scale photo's, I just wrote about that subject. You think that is bad, buy an edge lit unit........ To each his own, I know 99.% of users out there do not even know what a grey scale is. That is why this issue has not been brought up in the past. In the end, I bet most clients, will have to say to themselves, that is not perfect, it's just except able, so I will live with it.

It is what it is, either way. Right or wrong........
.
Edited by Cleveland Plasma - 1/19/13 at 5:39pm
post #12068 of 14509
DVZZZ, So now what? Any ideas what you might get? I was going to get an Elite but have serious doubts now. I was going to go the online route but I'm not sure I would have any confidence in Sharp taking care of me if I had issues like this. I have a Samsung UN55B8500 now which was their last fully backlit model. Nothing wrong with it I just wanted something bigger and better. biggrin.gif
post #12069 of 14509
Yea.. I spent 7 g's on mine. I have that green stuff on my set too. A this point I don't know what to do. I'm thinking of going back to Magnolia where I purchased the set from. And run the slides on their floor model that they had for over a year now. If that doesn't have that green stuff then I'm gonna ask if I can get their floor model instead for a way lower price. And return my current one.
post #12070 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

Yea.. I spent 7 g's on mine. I have that green stuff on my set too. A this point I don't know what to do. I'm thinking of going back to Magnolia where I purchased the set from. And run the slides on their floor model that they had for over a year now. If that doesn't have that green stuff then I'm gonna ask if I can get their floor model instead for a way lower price. And return my current one.

That would probably be a good idea. The display might be one of the trouble free sets when quality control was higher. You also get the advantage in that an LED set has ridiculous life and just being on display isn't going to "wear out" the set by any appreciable amount.

I completely disagree with what Chris is saying though. Sure, every set has it's problems, but that has nothing to do with whats going on here. It's a quality control issue from November builds where Sharp seemed to be abandoning ship, not an issue of back-lit vs plasma vs. full array. That would be like keeping one of those old Pinto's that used to explode when hit from behind because all cars have problems so you might as well stay with what you've got. (not to compare Pinto with an Elite though)
post #12071 of 14509
OK, this is going nowhere, I take it, but I just do not want folks to think that this is only because of the greyscale test fields, I posted pics on how it looks in the movies, it is not just barely visible it is absolutely visible, especially on white and blue screen.

I wish I had my camera with me when I was looking at Sony 65HX950 in the store, it does have tons of issues on its own, and I mean a lot including nasty banding, but it was producing grey that was grey with very faint band in the middle, is Sony a replacement to Elite, to my eyes - no. Not even in the same league, but that $5200 TV at least had grey. When reference TVs like Elite had grey that was both green and red instead of grey, this is a true problem even on normal material unless I decide to watch Alice in Wonderland only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Those are grey scale photo's, I just wrote about that subject. You think that is bad, buy an edge lit unit........ To each his own, I know 99.% of users out there do not even know what a grey scale is. That is why this issue has not been brought up in the past. In the end, I bet most clients, will have to say to themselves, that is not perfect, it's just except able, so I will live with it.

It is what it is, either way. Right or wrong........
.
post #12072 of 14509
@motoman I am taking time to decompress, I am worn out at this point and I do know that there is nothing that I can buy for my HT that will compete with Elite's blacks. I was thinking maybe Sony but to me not even close, it is smaller, has banding and dead pixels and cost more than Elite.

New Samsung full array sets? - I do not think they will come inexpensively and their video processor may be lacking but if you like your Sammy keep it until we see new sets in stores. My advise - do not buy anything yet. Certainly not Sharp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post

DVZZZ, So now what? Any ideas what you might get? I was going to get an Elite but have serious doubts now. I was going to go the online route but I'm not sure I would have any confidence in Sharp taking care of me if I had issues like this. I have a Samsung UN55B8500 now which was their last fully backlit model. Nothing wrong with it I just wanted something bigger and better. biggrin.gif
post #12073 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvzzz View Post

I wish I had my camera with me when I was looking at Sony 65HX950 in the store, it does have tons of issues on its own, and I mean a lot including nasty banding, but it was producing grey that was grey with very faint band in the middle, is Sony a replacement to Elite, to my eyes - no. Not even in the same league, but that $5200 TV at least had grey. When reference TVs like Elite had grey that was both green and red instead of grey, this is a true problem even on normal material unless I decide to watch Alice in Wonderland only.
Exactly, one would have to pick this, that, or the other. You have two local dimming panels, being made by two different manufacturer's, both with there own issues. No more being made by anyone. Guess The TC-P65VT50 would deserve a spin, along with a projector if the room suite's .
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog750 View Post

I completely disagree with what Chris is saying though. Sure, every set has it's problems, but that has nothing to do with whats going on here. It's a quality control issue from November builds where Sharp seemed to be abandoning ship, not an issue of back-lit vs plasma vs. full array. That would be like keeping one of those old Pinto's that used to explode when hit from behind because all cars have problems so you might as well stay with what you've got. (not to compare Pinto with an Elite though)
I did state above, that I think the Elites have had the same issue the whole time, not just after Nov 2012 . No one made note of it or checked there panel........

___________

Remember we are all just chatting, there is no right or wrong except the guy with the $$$ and about to buy a set. To each his own. I personally love all flat panels, for this reason or that reason. They look great on the wall and sure beat a tube or rear projection. No hater here wink.gif Pro's and cons to everything, just trying to shed my views coming from a different angle.......
.
Edited by Cleveland Plasma - 1/19/13 at 6:34pm
post #12074 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Exactly, one would have to pick this, that, or the other. You have two local dimming panels, being made by two different manufacturer's, both with there own issues. No more being made by anyone. Guess The TC-P65VT50 would deserve a spin, along with a projector if the room suite's .
I did state above, that I think the Elites have had the same issue the whole time, not just after Nov 2012 . No one made note of it or checked there panel........

___________

Remember we are all just chatting, there is no right or wrong except the guy with the $$$ and about to buy a set. To each his own. I personally love all flat panels, for this reason or that reason. They look great on the wall and sure beat a tube or rear projection. No hater here wink.gif Pro's and cons to everything, just trying to shed my views coming from a different angle.......
.

That's a good point, It would be great if someone with an earlier build would run the same tests. Surely someone like Ken Ross or one of the other long time Elite posters could run this test for results
post #12075 of 14509
Keep in mind, unit variation. More than one may need to be tested.
post #12076 of 14509
dvzzz should take up reading because there is no set on this planet that will make him happy.
post #12077 of 14509
I have two Elites that I can sell to you for a good price? They are almost perfect, some mild green/pink DSE but it is not really noticeable in the dark movies. They have been tested, I opened boxes to pretest them for you. Excellent price is $5500 each set. You pay shipping. You can wire money to me via Western Union. Would you like to order these two from me? smile.gif What, no?! Why not? I noticed you are looking for a set.


Quote:
Originally Posted by digmor crusher View Post

dvzzz should take up reading because there is no set on this planet that will make him happy.
post #12078 of 14509
I am a current owner of a 60" Elite and am thinking about grabbing another before they are discontinued. Probably going to stick with another 60 inch but I was wondering if my off axis would improve or get worse with a 70 inch assuming all other things remain the same (i.e. viewing distances). Thanks!
Edited by PalJoey - 1/20/13 at 12:15am
post #12079 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalJoey View Post

Thinking about grabbing another Elite before they are discontinued. Probably going to stick with another 60 inch but I was wondering if my off axis would improve with a 70 inch assuming all other things remain the same (i.e. viewing distances). Thanks!
I'm not capable of doing the math, but my "informed" :eek:guess is that the off axes viewing would be very slightly improved. The wider screen will improve immersion for those sitting in the sweet spot.
post #12080 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalJoey View Post

Thinking about grabbing another Elite before they are discontinued. Probably going to stick with another 60 inch but I was wondering if my off axis would improve with a 70 inch assuming all other things remain the same (i.e. viewing distances). Thanks!

This is issue of LCD tech that is worse for full array sets, where light goes almost directly through the LCD hole.
Contrast and colors will suffer from off axis position and only you can say if that will be deal breaker for you or not.
What's more if you'll be to close to TV you will see washout on sides.
Go into store and see yourself.

However, if you worry about off axis there is plasma if you don't mind.
post #12081 of 14509
I didn't run the slides but I did watch 3 Different snowboarding movies tonight and looked as hard as I could for it everywhere but saw no green blobs anywhere on my 70" biggrin.gif. Mine is an August 2011 build date. I did see very slight grey DSE during some panning scenes, but DEFINITELY no green. All that really matters to me is that I don't see it in my normal viewing, which a lot of these 2012 builds are doing and I would NEVER accept having to watch my X games and snowboarding videos with giant green blobs in all the snow. I truly feel lucky to have this amazing set slimer free! I really hope you can find one somehow.
post #12082 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post


I did state above, that I think the Elites have had the same issue the whole time, not just after Nov 2012 . No one made note of it or checked

It would be interesting to see similar pix taken with earlier build dates. That would either confirm Chris' theory or confirm the issue is restricted to Nov build dates. Rad, are you up to checking yours?

I don't have a 70", I have the 60". I haven't seen complaints regarding recent 60s, but who knows?
Edited by Ken Ross - 1/20/13 at 5:22am
post #12083 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Exactly, one would have to pick this, that, or the other. You have two local dimming panels, being made by two different manufacturer's, both with there own issues. No more being made by anyone. Guess The TC-P65VT50 would deserve a spin, along with a projector if the room suite's .
I did state above, that I think the Elites have had the same issue the whole time, not just after Nov 2012 . No one made note of it or checked there panel........

___________

Remember we are all just chatting, there is no right or wrong except the guy with the $$$ and about to buy a set. To each his own. I personally love all flat panels, for this reason or that reason. They look great on the wall and sure beat a tube or rear projection. No hater here wink.gif Pro's and cons to everything, just trying to shed my views coming from a different angle.......
.

Chris & Rhed: My 70X5 was built in 8/11. I have calibrated it at least 6 times manually (Chromapure, Chroma 5 and Lumagen Radiance XD) and having done a 21 point grayscale/gamma that many times I have not seen any off color problems. Regarding DSE, I have none. DSE was brought up a few times early in this thread but seemed to rarely occur.
post #12084 of 14509
First off, where do I find the build date?
I purchased my set (70") in November 2011 from BB.
I just put up the D-NICE slides for the plasma break in's.
I see absolutely no green or pink on the gray slides. I do see so very faint darker gray bands but I have to look hard.
On a full white screen, its is fully white w/o greens or pinks.
On a fully black screen, it is perfectly black everywhere in a totally darken room.
It is hard to see the starting of the bezel.
I have been in this thread since Sept 2011.
post #12085 of 14509
Just an update on my 70 Elite for you guys

I have had my set now for 6 days watching it regularly with Blu-rays and HD cable content and am thrilled. So far I have noticed no pink blotches, green blotches, DSE or screen uniformity issues. I have not run any calibration software (I plan to leave that to a pro). If this set has flaws either I can't see them or I don't know what to look for. If I can't see them (and I have good vision) then I don't care. If I simply don't know what to look for there is no way I'm going out of my way to try and find them and ruin the experience for myself. As long as the set looks reference in the end, what the screen MIGHT look like on test images is irrelevant to me.

Blacks are gorgeous on this thing and it has wonderful motion. The level of detail is just crazy and I can't picture myself being happier with any another set (or at least a set under $20k).

For those of you out there on the fence, get one while you still can.

John
post #12086 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

Chris & Rhed: My 70X5 was built in 8/11. I have calibrated it at least 6 times manually (Chromapure, Chroma 5 and Lumagen Radiance XD) and having done a 21 point grayscale/gamma that many times I have not seen any off color problems. Regarding DSE, I have none. DSE was brought up a few times early in this thread but seemed to rarely occur.

Sounds like its a new issue. I wonder if sharp knew it was done with the elite, and let QC decline??? Im wondering if these are still being manufacured, or if they are completely done?
post #12087 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mother View Post

Just an update on my 70 Elite for you guys

I have had my set now for 6 days watching it regularly with Blu-rays and HD cable content and am thrilled. So far I have noticed no pink blotches, green blotches, DSE or screen uniformity issues. I have not run any calibration software (I plan to leave that to a pro). If this set has flaws either I can't see them or I don't know what to look for. If I can't see them (and I have good vision) then I don't care. If I simply don't know what to look for there is no way I'm going out of my way to try and find them and ruin the experience for myself. As long as the set looks reference in the end, what the screen MIGHT look like on test images is irrelevant to me.

Blacks are gorgeous on this thing and it has wonderful motion. The level of detail is just crazy and I can't picture myself being happier with any another set (or at least a set under $20k).

For those of you out there on the fence, get one while you still can.

John

Yea.. Like what dvzz said. If you can't see it. Don't look for it. And my suggestion is don't run the slides if you haven't yet. And "IF" it's there and you want to get it professionally calibrated! Save your time and $ and don't get it done because the ISF calibrator won't be able to do it if it is.. Just enjoy your set and maybe use settings from newbie or cnet.
post #12088 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by obxdiver View Post

First off, where do I find the build date?
I purchased my set (70") in November 2011 from BB.
I just put up the D-NICE slides for the plasma break in's.
I see absolutely no green or pink on the gray slides. I do see so very faint darker gray bands but I have to look hard.
On a full white screen, its is fully white w/o greens or pinks.
On a fully black screen, it is perfectly black everywhere in a totally darken room.
It is hard to see the starting of the bezel.
I have been in this thread since Sept 2011.

You're so lucky you got a earlier build. It seems the green blobs are being discovered on the 2012 Nov. builds. Which probably the last builds. I'm going to my local Magnolia today and run the slides on their floor model. I've talked to the manager yesterday on the phone and he said if I like the floor model after I check it out. Then all I do is return my new set to them and they'll sell me the floor model for $3200. I think if I like it then I'll tell them $2800 instead since that 70" floor model is a year old.
Edited by rhed - 1/20/13 at 11:23am
post #12089 of 14509
Does anybody have a link to these slides, I am headed to bestbuy today and would like to check their floor model.
Thanks
post #12090 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutsfu View Post

Does anybody have a link to these slides, I am headed to bestbuy today and would like to check their floor model.
Thanks

I used these
http://www.eaprogramming.com/downloads/files/BreakIn_Images.zip
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread