or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread - Page 414

post #12391 of 14509
They are on sale though http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=1267882&pid=1218245461668&tab=default
post #12392 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

They are on sale though http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=1267882&pid=1218245461668&tab=default

does it has built in projector or what? to justify such asking price ...
post #12393 of 14509
WOW! It should be illegal sell an HDMI cable for that price. biggrin.gif
post #12394 of 14509
You got that right...illegal with over 1000% markup. I use Monoprice and no problems. BTW has anyone used the new Redmere HDMI from Monoprice?
post #12395 of 14509
I just swapped all my cables out for the redmere monoprice cables and they work great and are very very thin.
post #12396 of 14509
Thanks mlmadmax that's exactly what I want them for to "tidy" up my rack
post #12397 of 14509
I just placed an order for 4 Redmere cables, glad to hear that others here are also using them.
post #12398 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by 760rapta View Post

My set looked cartoony as well until I had it professionally calibrated. I liked the picture even still-- probably due to the impressive blacks and whites. Took a few days for my eyes to adjust. Now the colors are much more natural and picture is stunningly good with blu ray. Pretty darn good on DTV movie channels too.

Can't wait to watch my Niners at home in the Super Bowl. biggrin.gif

That's what I'm talking about! Our Niners are about to get #6!
post #12399 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

They are on sale though http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=1267882&pid=1218245461668&tab=default

i use firefold and mono price and they work great at a great price
post #12400 of 14509
All my HDMI cables are from Monoprice. Lengths range from 3" to 30" feet, never had an issue with any of them. I also purchase a wide variety of other cables and products from them. Actually, I've bought so much stuff from them that I've been upgraded to a Gold member. biggrin.gif
post #12401 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmadmax View Post

I just swapped all my cables out for the redmere monoprice cables and they work great and are very very thin.

+1
post #12402 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek753 View Post

Power Save mode was related to pulsing color, not DSE.

OK, thanks. So as far as we know the Nov 12 builds still have DSE issues? Has anyone received/bought a Nov build w/out the DSE issue?

-Brian
post #12403 of 14509
The only data point is from a nov2012 set dropshipped by Sharp via Cleveland Plasma, pics that were posted show absolutely perfect uniformity. I have not see uniformity like that ever, it is to the point that if I were you and can afford CP's price points I would buy from Chris at Cleveland Plasma. You may get lucky and get the set like the one pictured. It sounds like because it is actually shipped by Sharp they may weed out bad serial numbers. I am so impressed with pictures provided by the fellow AVSer.
Edited by dvzzz - 1/29/13 at 9:48pm
post #12404 of 14509
I could use some help on a couple things, would anyone have a link on discrete codes for hdmi inputs for the elite for a harmony one remote and a link to buy some extra 3d glasses like the ones the tv comes with. I know they are expensive but for some reason I want the same kind and can't seem to find them.

Thanks in advance,

Max
post #12405 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

Ken.. Could it be a problem with using a different universal remote like the Harmony that maybe screwing up the IR circuit board on the set? I don't know just saying aloud.

I really doubt that could cause a failure. I'd also doubt that statistically there's a significant difference between the type of remote an owner of a 60 uses relative to a 70 owner. I use a Harmony with no issues.
post #12406 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

If you see the picture on your display without dropouts or "sparklies", your cable is moving 100% of the digital signal. This is not a topic that is open to debate any more than gravity is.

Although I agree with everything you say Mark, it doesn't explain my tendency to float to the ceiling every so often. wink.gif
post #12407 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvzzz View Post

The only data point is from a nov2012 set dropshipped by Sharp via Cleveland Plasma, pics that were posted show absolutely perfect uniformity. I have not see uniformity like that ever, it is to the point that if I were you and can afford CP's price points I would buy from Chris at Cleveland Plasma. You may get lucky and get the set like the one pictured. It sounds like because it is actually shipped by Sharp they may weed out bad serial numbers. I am so impressed with pictures provided by the fellow AVSer.

there is also nutsfu's from magnolia
post #12408 of 14509
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Unfortunately, you opened the can of worms.

Digital signals are digital signals.

While HDMI allows for a certain amount of errors in the signal, any cable that passes the signal without visible errors is passing 100% of the digital signal. HDMI doesn't have a "degrade mode" where you see a picture without dropouts or "sparklies" that is less good than some other picture. It isn't analog and therefore there is no such thing.

If someone wants to use expensive (note my specific avoidance of the term "overpriced" here as to avoid a value judgment) Magnolia cables, they are welcome to do so.

That said, there is absolutely no need to do so. If you see the picture on your display without dropouts or "sparklies", your cable is moving 100% of the digital signal. This is not a topic that is open to debate any more than gravity is.

I don't wish to turn this into an HDMI discussion thread, if you wish to discuss this further you can open up a new thread and I will be happy to discuss my Points View on the topic. cool.gif
post #12409 of 14509
Sort of off topic, But does anyone here currently use DirecTV with their elite? If so How does it look? I currently have Comcast, and am not thrilled to say the least about its picture quality, and am thinking of going back to DirecTV. Mind you its been many years since I had them.
post #12410 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneWildersHair View Post

Sort of off topic, But does anyone here currently use DirecTV with their elite? If so How does it look? I currently have Comcast, and am not thrilled to say the least about its picture quality, and am thinking of going back to DirecTV. Mind you its been many years since I had them.

I have both and prefer DirecTV: less artifacting and less outages with DirecTV

my home was hit hard by Superstorm Sandy and we had to evacuate for several weeks. Upon return, I rebooted DirecTV boxes and they worked perfectly: the slimline dish withstood hurricane force winds

Comcast was still out completely: when I tried to put in a service call, they said there were area wide outages and not to call back for service issues until service had been restored. Huh? that was 2 more weeks...

my opinion only
post #12411 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

I have both and prefer DirecTV: less artifacting and less outages with DirecTV

my home was hit hard by Superstorm Sandy and we had to evacuate for several weeks. Upon return, I rebooted DirecTV boxes and they worked perfectly: the slimline dish withstood hurricane force winds

Comcast was still out completely: when I tried to put in a service call, they said there were area wide outages and not to call back for service issues until service had been restored. Huh? that was 2 more weeks...

my opinion only

That's good to hear, I've got a friend that switched to DirecTV and swears its hd feeds look a lot better, but his tv is only 50", and as we all know the bigger the tv, the more artifacts we see. If anyone else would like to chime in on their provider (especially if its DirecTV) on this tv, I would appreciate it.
post #12412 of 14509
I have Direct TV and FIOS
I have been with Direct TV since 1999
I signed up with FIOS last year during Christmas and got a great deal.
I got the 35Mbit Internet with Phone and Ultimate HD TV with the best DVR they have.
I was planning on dumping Direct TV after I got FIOS installed
However, after I got FIOS installed, I noticed alot of pixelation on several (but not all) channels that I watch.
Comparing those same channels on Direct TV, it was far superior.
I was simply switching inputs on the Elite back and forth between the 2 DVR's
I worked with Verizon over and over again about the issue, and they could never solve it. They came over 3 times, admitted the Direct TV was far superior.
So, I kept my Direct TV and FIOS (2 year contract)
I have had FIOS now 1 year, and I still say Direct TV is much better on my 70" Elite
I like their DVR better too.
DirecTV is MPEG4 whereas FIOS is MPEG2

I do have plenty of HD tuners to use between the 2.
Also, you will get some outages with heavy thunderstorms with Direct TV.
I switch to FIOS when that happens, but very seldom does this happen.
2-3 times/year
post #12413 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by obxdiver View Post

I have Direct TV and FIOS
I have been with Direct TV since 1999
I signed up with FIOS last year during Christmas and got a great deal.
I got the 35Mbit Internet with Phone and Ultimate HD TV with the best DVR they have.
I was planning on dumping Direct TV after I got FIOS installed
However, after I got FIOS installed, I noticed alot of pixelation on several (but not all) channels that I watch.
Comparing those same channels on Direct TV, it was far superior.
I was simply switching inputs on the Elite back and forth between the 2 DVR's
I worked with Verizon over and over again about the issue, and they could never solve it. They came over 3 times, admitted the Direct TV was far superior.
So, I kept my Direct TV and FIOS (2 year contract)
I have had FIOS now 1 year, and I still say Direct TV is much better on my 70" Elite
I like their DVR better too.
DirecTV is MPEG4 whereas FIOS is MPEG2

I do have plenty of HD tuners to use between the 2.
Also, you will get some outages with heavy thunderstorms with Direct TV.
I switch to FIOS when that happens, but very seldom does this happen.
2-3 times/year

Thank you, I appreciate your input, I cannot wait to dump my comcast cable, its very pixelated looking at times, and most of all its really expensive!
post #12414 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneWildersHair View Post

Thank you, I appreciate your input, I cannot wait to dump my comcast cable, its very pixelated looking at times, and most of all its really expensive!

Unfortunately, all TV service is expensive nowadays.
FIOS:
I have 1 HD DVR 1 SD Non DVR, Ultimate HD, 35/25 Internet and Digital phone and it $135/month

Direct TV:
2 HD DVR's, No movie channels, No sports channels, most all other channels, HD service $90/month (no charge for DVR service. I paid for lifetime back in 1999)
post #12415 of 14509
I have both comcast and DTV and would say the DTV pq is FAR better than comcast especially on HD channels
post #12416 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneWildersHair View Post

That's good to hear, I've got a friend that switched to DirecTV and swears its hd feeds look a lot better, but his tv is only 50", and as we all know the bigger the tv, the more artifacts we see. If anyone else would like to chime in on their provider (especially if its DirecTV) on this tv, I would appreciate it.
I have DirecTV and HD content looks really good on my 70" Elite. I was really surprised, as I expected it to suck. Of course if you pause you see the compression artifacts, but normal viewing far exceeded my expectations - have no complains and a fair amount of praise.
post #12417 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by DYAUSWINTERS View Post

I have both comcast and DTV and would say the DTV pq is FAR better than comcast especially on HD channels
exactly what I wanted to hear. This is exactly what a buddy of mine keeps telling me when he comes over and watches my Comcast. I just needed to know if it just wasn't the difference in size of our tv's. He says he sees a lot more artifacts in my comcast hd channels, than his dish, and calls my picture "messy" looking. Well that is until I pop a blu ray on my 70, and he's instantly jealous. Lol
post #12418 of 14509
Hello I am having a problem and want to know if other owners have it to. I am loosing the picture when watching the tv for a second some times longer. Or it flickers the picture. It is on any source I have going to the tv that it happens. I am hopping that it is just a setting but think it is something wrong with the set. It is erratic when it happens some times a few times in a row then other times it will not happen for a while and then happen again. Anyone who is havering the same problem let me know what they did. I am hopping that I will not have to replace the set with all the problems I am reading on the last November build sets. Thanks.
Edited by bziggy - 1/30/13 at 7:12pm
post #12419 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvzzz View Post

The only data point is from a nov2012 set dropshipped by Sharp via Cleveland Plasma, pics that were posted show absolutely perfect uniformity. I have not see uniformity like that ever, it is to the point that if I were you and can afford CP's price points I would buy from Chris at Cleveland Plasma. You may get lucky and get the set like the one pictured. It sounds like because it is actually shipped by Sharp they may weed out bad serial numbers. I am so impressed with pictures provided by the fellow AVSer.

Thanks DVZZZ,

I kinda doubt Sharp has the manpower to cherry pick and send out TVs but I could be wrong.

Were you the one that went through 3 (or more) sets? If you receive 3 plus sets in a row would that not indicate something that is inherent in the TVs, not necessarily a defect?

My biggest hesitation at this point is the new Panasonic ZT on the horizon and the overpriced $6K price tag. Sure would suck to spend $6K and have the Panasonic kick its ass for $4K (or less). That being said I think Panasonic plasmas are built like crap! My VT50 buzzes non-stop and I have at least a dozen different images burned in the set. I even have a 4:3 letterbox burned in after HUNDREDS of hours of use. I'm really hesitant about buying a Panasonic.

Can't decide what to do. $6K is a LOT.

If I order from CP I assume the set will be drop shipped from Sharp? Or sent out of inventory? Lastly, can Chris (or anyone) definately state wither or not these have been discontinued?

-Brian
post #12420 of 14509
Tough to say if the entire batch is botched... I know that the one that Illinois Best Buy has gotten is all defective, I documented every unit of them and sent to Sharp but of course they did not even respond to #4, 5, 6. I went through 6 and they are all nowhere close to the ones that were posted with perfect uniformity. I suspect Sharp is checking before shipping given the fiasco of Nov2012 build. I also suspect that BB prices are probably low due to the offloaded batch from Sharp.

CP told me that Sharp or Sharp's distributor ships on CP's behalf and thus no returns are possible because of that. I will let CP comment on how they sell. I am pretty sure that none of the online vendors want my business at this point because I am the one who discovered the issue with green DSE and made them lose sales, but at the end of the day $6K TV should be just that reference quality like the one posted earlier with perfect uniformity.

I am in the same boat about VT50/ZT plus my room is not a dedicated HT room and plasma will fail in that room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bghead8che View Post

Thanks DVZZZ,

I kinda doubt Sharp has the manpower to cherry pick and send out TVs but I could be wrong.

Were you the one that went through 3 (or more) sets? If you receive 3 plus sets in a row would that not indicate something that is inherent in the TVs, not necessarily a defect?

My biggest hesitation at this point is the new Panasonic ZT on the horizon and the overpriced $6K price tag. Sure would suck to spend $6K and have the Panasonic kick its ass for $4K (or less). That being said I think Panasonic plasmas are built like crap! My VT50 buzzes non-stop and I have at least a dozen different images burned in the set. I even have a 4:3 letterbox burned in after HUNDREDS of hours of use. I'm really hesitant about buying a Panasonic.

Can't decide what to do. $6K is a LOT.

If I order from CP I assume the set will be drop shipped from Sharp? Or sent out of inventory? Lastly, can Chris (or anyone) definately state wither or not these have been discontinued?

-Brian
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread