or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread - Page 415

post #12421 of 14509
Since flat panels have been invented, I bet if one where to grab 10 panels of each, set them up on a gray scale, not one single flat panel would pass and have perfect uniformity. I have not seen a tube TV with a grey scale up so I would hate to include those, but I bet I could. Everyone has there own agenda on what they want out of a product, and that is a OK. We all have some choices on this planet, why not use them. If the unit does not suite, move to another. In this case, there is not another or I think it would have been noted already.

Our units are shipped from various locations across the US, not from Sharp direct. Sharp would "probably" not do that for a dealer. I am hearing from venders that the unit is being discontinued now and the other half say they are not sure. I guess it comes down to, no one knows for sure. I mean 100%.
post #12422 of 14509
I am sorry, but what is this post saying? I afraid I lost the point of the post below? Please speak clearly. It is confusing with choices and etc. This is an open forum and let's be open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Since flat panels have been invented, I bet if one where to grab 10 panels of each, set them up on a gray scale, not one single flat panel would pass and have perfect uniformity. I have not seen a tube TV with a grey scale up so I would hate to include those, but I bet I could. Everyone has there own agenda on what they want out of a product, and that is a OK. We all have some choices on this planet, why not use them. If the unit does not suite, move to another. In this case, there is not another or I think it would have been noted already.

Our units are shipped from various locations across the US, not from Sharp direct. Sharp would "probably" not do that for a dealer. I am hearing from venders that the unit is being discontinued now and the other half say they are not sure. I guess it comes down to, no one knows for sure. I mean 100%.
post #12423 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvzzz View Post

at the end of the day $6K TV should be just that reference quality like the one posted earlier with perfect uniformity.

Just having a conversation, thought I should put that quote in. Not sure how I can make it clearer, but I will try:

Since flat panels have been invented, I bet if one where to grab 10 panels of each, set them up on a gray scale, not one single flat panel would pass and have perfect uniformity. I have not seen a tube TV with a grey scale up so I would hate to include those, but I bet a tube TV would not pass a grey scale test perfectly either . Everyone has there own agenda on what they want out of a product, including TV's, and that is a OK. We all have choices on this planet including what TV to buy? If the unit does not suite, including tv's, move to different TV. In this case, there is not another TV that would fit all criteria's or I think it would have been noted already. Again, anyone can feel the way they want to about a TV or anything else. ( Making a choice does not make a person wrong or right. ) I guess the bottom line is there is no perfect TV being made right now by anyone, so there are no choices available in this sector.



Heck remember when people paid $20K for a 42" plasma. They are not even as good as the $400 units being sold now........
.
.
Edited by Cleveland Plasma - 1/31/13 at 9:25am
post #12424 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneWildersHair View Post

Thank you, I appreciate your input, I cannot wait to dump my comcast cable, its very pixelated looking at times, and most of all its really expensive!

Few years back I also had very badly pixelated image from Comcast. It was difficult to reproduce on demand (my theory was temperature related as it happened more often in the evening when Comcast service is not available) and the ticket finally got escalated up their support chain (where they came over in the early evening to check). The problem turned up to be a faulty "differential amplifier" (that is what the tech told me, not sure what it does) they have on top of the phone pole. Once that is fixed, I have no more pixelated problems. Maybe this is something you can ask Comcast about.

Another possible cause for pixelated image is the disk in the DVR is having problems (e.g bad sectors). This phenomenon is pretty well know for Tivo.
Edited by SHadoWFoX - 1/31/13 at 9:51am
post #12425 of 14509
My point is much simpler. Elites were produced with excellent uniformity in the past and even rare few Nov2012 sets have excellent uniformity. I guess you are saying it was pure luck that CP dropshipped that excellent unit.
What I am uncomfortable with is when we are being told that none of the screens are perfect and thus move on. Instead those of us who are determined just keep looking. Cooperating sellers like Best Buy are very keen to help because they first-hand witness all issues that I ran into and they do not mind involving Sharp to resolve. However instead of making it my problem once they sell, they deal with Sharp on the backend while offering me opportunity to find what I need. Do you think BestBuy would let me exchange so many times if they did not see the issue? I am glad I bought locally, because they can see every set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Just having a conversation, thought I should put that quote in. Not sure how I can make it clearer, but I will try:

Since flat panels have been invented, I bet if one where to grab 10 panels of each, set them up on a gray scale, not one single flat panel would pass and have perfect uniformity. I have not seen a tube TV with a grey scale up so I would hate to include those, but I bet a tube TV would not pass a grey scale test perfectly either . Everyone has there own agenda on what they want out of a product, including TV's, and that is a OK. We all have choices on this planet including what TV to buy? If the unit does not suite, including tv's, move to different TV. In this case, there is not another TV that would fit all criteria's or I think it would have been noted already. Again, anyone can feel the way they want to about a TV or anything else. ( Making a choice does not make a person wrong or right. ) I guess the bottom line is there is no perfect TV being made right now by anyone, so there are no choices available in this sector.



Heck remember when people paid $20K for a 42" plasma. They are not even as good as the $400 units being sold now........
.
.
post #12426 of 14509
Thread Starter 
Quote:

Heck remember when people paid $20K for a 42" plasma. They are not even as good as the $400 units being sold now........
.
.

I suppose this is a lot like OLED right now. biggrin.gif
post #12427 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Since flat panels have been invented, I bet if one where to grab 10 panels of each, set them up on a gray scale, not one single flat panel would pass and have perfect uniformity. I have not seen a tube TV with a grey scale up so I would hate to include those, but I bet I could. Everyone has there own agenda on what they want out of a product, and that is a OK. .

I agree that no flat panel is perfect....but in Elite's case, it is DEFINITELY NOT OK. Sharp was able to produce panels without uniformity issues previously so why do we have to accept these faulty Nov12 units? I was watching winter X Games all last week and it was pretty horrible....green and pink patches all over the white snow........ frown.gif

If all of the Elites have had the same exact issue since the 1st production run, that's a different story.
post #12428 of 14509
I have been watching the price on this unit since it first came out. I just could not justify spending the money. I happened by my BB store yesterday and stumbled upon an open box PRO-70X5 unit with full warranty for well under 5K. Look forward to joining this discussion group.
post #12429 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3W813 View Post

Sharp was able to produce panels without uniformity issues previously so why do we have to accept these faulty Nov12 units?
If all of the Elites have had the same exact issue since the 1st production run, that's a different story.
Now that I 100% agree with. I feel they have always been like this, no one took the time to look a set over like is being done now. Why do I feel this way? Every other LED ever made has issues of some kind, even the local dimming units. Why would this unit be any different? Just because it has an Elite logo? Even what some people say is the best set made, the Elite Kuro had "purple snake issues", which is a screen uniformity issue. Probably had other issues too that I can not remember.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvzzz View Post

My point is much simpler. Elites were produced with excellent uniformity in the past
This is the whole problem, we would need to test 10 sets to know for sure, would we not ? A fact can not be based on a assumption. Just because no one posted about these issues in the past does not mean they did not have these issues.

_________

To each his own, their are many people happy with Nov 2012 builds and that is my only point. Not everyone who buys an Elite TV stops in to AVS, I know that is an impossible thought biggrin.gif

_________

I am just making some points here.........Why would I ? Because there are many visitors watching our conversation here and at times it seems that every TV made has an issue that rolls off the Assembly line. We all know that is not true. Then there is the issue that most consumers would never even see these types of issues, I think we could agree on that the general public would not see these issues either. Does it make it right, no. If someone is happy with there life and there TV, that is a great thing though;)

.
.
Edited by Cleveland Plasma - 1/31/13 at 12:33pm
post #12430 of 14509
Hey guys, still enjoying my November '12 70". Was wondering if someone could tell me if those units have the "best" or most up-to-date firmware. I'm not in front of my set ATM to see what i have but maybe one of you could tell me what it is. Thanks.
post #12431 of 14509
I'm fairly certain that if this problem existed on older models someone would have seen it. I mean come on man huge green and pink blobs on a full white screen! That is something NO ONE should have to live with. I agree that every set has its issues but if you can't watch some of your favorite sports /movies because of green and pink across the screen that's just ridiculous. I for one am a little annoyed sometimes by the slight DSE my 70 has (something I can definitely live with) and that's just a slight greyish color I would blow a fuse if that greyish turned to green or pink, or both.
post #12432 of 14509
i agree, the green and pink blobs probably not..

i would bet though that many of the older builds also have at least light banding - i have seen that on grey screen tests on every tv i tested at BB (Sony HX950, Elite 60/70, VT50, Samsung - all of them had pattern banding on the screen). i dont think this is a recent phenomenon only. it would be an illogical conclusion to reach
post #12433 of 14509
I also see the banding. But definitely no green or pink.
post #12434 of 14509
So far here we got 2 reports of good uniform 70" from Nov 12 batch
Maybe Nov 12 production was also split in sub batches that later sets are free from DSE? Make any sense?
Tomorrow I'll have GeekSquad calibrator coming in for "ISF" calibration, so I'll ask pro opinion about uniformity of my set that has green and pink DSE.
Those are visible on gray and also when any panning of snow or ice.

Anyone else got new 70" with good uniformity?
post #12435 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebrady View Post

i agree, the green and pink blobs probably not..

i would bet though that many of the older builds also have at least light banding - i have seen that on grey screen tests on every tv i tested at BB (Sony HX950, Elite 60/70, VT50, Samsung - all of them had pattern banding on the screen). i dont think this is a recent phenomenon only. it would be an illogical conclusion to reach


i have an older build 70 with a solid white screen no pink or green blobs, the only banding/dse i see is during camera pans on a light backround ie a hockey game and then it is very slight wife doesn't even see it
post #12436 of 14509
BB is giving free calibrations on the Elite after 30 days. How is BB with calibrations?

Performance on my 60" is great but agree it can have a the mentioned "cartoonish" look at times. Will be trying N3W813 settings (listed on pg 384) for that. And then maybe BB free calibration.

Is BB calibration worth having for free?

Would it help if I ask they do something specific, like say only do the grayscale? (I'm not an expert on this)
post #12437 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbersbimbers View Post

BB is giving free calibrations on the Elite after 30 days. How is BB with calibrations?

Performance on my 60" is great but agree it can have a the mentioned "cartoonish" look at times. Will be trying N3W813 settings (listed on pg 384) for that. And then maybe BB free calibration.

Is BB calibration worth having for free?

Would it help if I ask they do something specific, like say only do the grayscale? (I'm not an expert on this)

there will be some variation throughout the country of course, but generally it's about as good as giving my two year old the equipment and telling her to have at it.biggrin.gif
post #12438 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

there will be some variation throughout the country of course, but generally it's about as good as giving my two year old the equipment and telling her to have at it.biggrin.gif

I know you're exaggerating, but honestly, I've seen what looked to be the outcome of something like that first hand on a friends display, after the geek squad got thru with it, they left black enhancement on, which crushed his blacks, anf skin tones on white people looked almost bright orange... It was God awful!
post #12439 of 14509
guys, im still working way through all the old pages of this thred (so forgive me for asking something that is probbly found somehwere in the past) but did sharp ever release a fw fix for the cyan color issue? or do new sets still have this accuracy issue?
post #12440 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebrady View Post

guys, im still working way through all the old pages of this thred (so forgive me for asking something that is probbly found somehwere in the past) but did sharp ever release a fw fix for the cyan color issue? or do new sets still have this accuracy issue?

This has been answered multiple times, most recently in just the last few pages. The answer is no, the cyan issue still exists and most owners never notice it. Why? Because the color cyan is seldom seen and the error is in the lower luminance levels of this color. Add to that the fact that the chances are your eye simply does not know what 'correct' should be with cyan since more common objects are not cyan-hued. If the issue were with more common colors like orange or red, you'd have a good idea of what those colors should look like. Cyan? Not so much, though some will disagree.

Wish this was a sticky since it's asked every few pages of this thread and most asking it don't realize it's a non-issue for the vast majority of owners.
post #12441 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

This has been answered multiple times, most recently in just the last few pages. The answer is no, the cyan issue still exists and most owners never notice it. Why? Because the color cyan is seldom seen and the error is in the lower luminance levels of this color. Add to that the fact that the chances are your eye simply does not know what 'correct' should be with cyan since more common objects are not cyan-hued. If the issue were with more common colors like orange or red, you'd have a good idea of what those colors should look like. Cyan? Not so much, though some will disagree.

Wish this was a sticky since it's asked every few pages of this thread and most asking it don't realize it's a non-issue for the vast majority of owners.

[ sarcasm]
I simply cannot enjoy "The Today Show" due to the flaw with cyan in the Elite.

[ /sarcasm]
post #12442 of 14509
ken,, thanks for tking the time to reply - i apologize since i have read the most recent pges (i guess i missed it because i have actually been focusing more on the banding issue that i m hving on my current 60").

im exchanging mine for another 60" tomorrow and just trying to get all relevnt info while im still in my return/exchange window.

in continuing to read olders posts, i see your point about not very noticeable without A/Bing confirmed by what i m gathering are 'experts' here (eg duane, kevin, etc.)
post #12443 of 14509
I do have a small amount of the green DSE, but I can not detect it in even almost pure white scenes in movies so I will let it pass. Outside of the odd blue shadow artifacts when not in THX mode in that one scene in "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close", I don't have any big complaints. Especially now that the flickering problem was identified. I suppose if I get a lot more of these blue shadow artifacts in the future I will have to deal with Sharp though..
post #12444 of 14509
I finally got my Elite 60 inch setup last night and while I didn't run any slides I did watch various content with lots of whites and grays, and some Planet Earth and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. It's certainly far and away better picture than the much older Sony LCD TV I was coming from.




post #12445 of 14509
It doesn't seem like the 60s have been prone to the issues the Nov 70s have.
post #12446 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek753 View Post

Tomorrow I'll have GeekSquad calibrator coming in for "ISF" calibration, so I'll ask pro opinion about uniformity of my set that has green and pink DSE.

Good luck with the BB calibration.... rolleyes.gif

Ask the calibrator to use 75% saturation targets to calibrate the CMS instead of the normal 100%..... if he/she does not know what that means, I seriously doubt you will get a good picture cool.gif
post #12447 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3W813 View Post

Good luck with the BB calibration.... rolleyes.gif

Ask the calibrator to use 75% saturation targets to calibrate the CMS instead of the normal 100%..... if he/she does not know what that means, I seriously doubt you will get a good picture cool.gif

the Calibration failed eek.gif
He was not able to calibrate due to unstable color readings. My Elite colors were jumping all the time and as much as 5% or higher.
When he set one target for a sec the next it was gone.
The same readings I got myself before, so I thought something wrong ether with my i1D3 or S/W.
But, now another sensor with another h/w and s/w.
He said that TV has to run for a month before colors settle down and now it is to early to calibrate.
My TV was for a week up for 10 - 16 hours a day.
Also, it isn't plasma.
What LED has to settle down? Or etc.

So, I'm back to the same Q. - is my 70" Ok? or defective?
post #12448 of 14509
Total B/S.... I calibrated my Nov12 set couple of days after I received it, no issues at all. I also had no issues with colors being unstable during a calibration with my previous 2 sets.

When you say your colors are jumping, do you mean the readings are moving significantly when you take continuous readings on the same pattern?
post #12449 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3W813 View Post

Good luck with the BB calibration.... rolleyes.gif

Ask the calibrator to use 75% saturation targets to calibrate the CMS instead of the normal 100%..... if he/she does not know what that means, I seriously doubt you will get a good picture cool.gif

I just calibrated my 60" Sharp Elite via Calman5. I used "75% bright" @ "100% saturation" to set my color via CMS. Is that not correct? Should it be 75% saturation @ 100% bright? I ask because I'm new at calibrating. Thx!
post #12450 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchinshouse View Post

I just calibrated my 60" Sharp Elite via Calman5. I used "75% bright" @ "100% saturation" to set my color via CMS. Is that not correct? Should it be 75% saturation @ 100% bright? I ask because I'm new at calibrating. Thx!

You should use 75% luminance / 75% saturation targets. wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread