or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread - Page 430

post #12871 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjosemike View Post

Hey guys, just got the 70" floor model from Magnolia and was wondering if someone can point me to a calibration guru in the SF bay area. I hear Kevin Miller's name mentioned a lot, but don't know where he works.
Kevin Miller is on the wrong coast. wink.gif

You can post in the "location" thread that's linked in the segnature area at the bottom of my post. You can also PM turbe for location information.

David Abrams, D-Nice (DeWayne Davis), and UMR (Jeff Meier) do tours here.

bht (Robert Busch) is located in Santa Rose and does calibrations in this area.

You can get owner reviews from the other link at the bottom of my post.
post #12872 of 14509
thanks. will check it out. much appreciated
post #12873 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjosemike View Post

thanks. will check it out. much appreciated
smile.gif

Click here to find a post from earlier today that includes email addresses for the first three guys I mentioned.
Edited by htwaits - 4/6/13 at 1:49pm
post #12874 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisJG View Post

I have been just a lurker here, but I must thank you for your settings as well. I just got my Elite about 2 weeks ago and as good as it is, these settings have taken it up a huge notch and it is nothing short of spectacular.

The Elite moved a Mitsubishi LaserVue off the stand and initially, as good as it is in many ways, the MIts had a more natural film like picture. But your settings have smoothed it out greatly. No longer do I miss the good natural look of the laservue.

...

So, still on the search. Did an extensive A/B test with a Cambridge 752 and the 50.3 at the store and initially the picture was similar to the OPPO, kinda washed out. But lowering the brightness in picture settings on the 752 got me very close, so I bought it. After I got it home, even though the higher quality DAC'S gave me a much better sound direct out, I thought that the picture still lacked richness in color compared to the 50.3 and I did not want to feel like I was compromising in this area. But after a bit more tweeking, I found a few clicks down on contrast in the 752 (-3 or -4 I cant remember and I am away at the moment) coupled with the reduction in brightness on the 752 and it is the equal to, or even better than the 50.3. The picture from that blu ray player, combined with your TV settings, is spectacular. Deep rich colors. Watched some Cars 2 and Toy Story 3. Incredible. And the audio is great too, Martin Logans all the way around with BSS amps

I believe that these settings would have probably gotten the OPPO 103 where it needed to get to as well picture wise, since it seems very similar in a lot of ways and uses a lot of the same stuff as the Cambridge, but the audio improvement with the direct outs on the 752 is well worth it, so at the moment, I am completely satisfied

Thanks again.

Dennis
You can't compare the Oppo 103 to the 752 - you should have looked at the Oppo 105 which has the high-end audio section.
post #12875 of 14509
Newbie, I have read every page of this tread and have not seen your settings for 3D. What do you use for 3D. I use your setting pre November 2012 and they look great but I would like to know what you were using for 3D. Thanks for the help. I have a 70" if it matters.
post #12876 of 14509
Why do they keep calling N3W813 Newbie eek.gif ?
post #12877 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post

Why do they keep calling N3W813 Newbie eek.gif ?

NEWBIE
N3W813


3=E
8=B
1=I
post #12878 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarnut View Post

Newbie, I have read every page of this tread and have not seen your settings for 3D. What do you use for 3D. I use your setting pre November 2012 and they look great but I would like to know what you were using for 3D. Thanks for the help. I have a 70" if it matters.

Actually, I haven't calibrated any 3D modes at all yet. I don't really watch 3D but it is on my to-do list. tongue.gif I just need to find some time (3-4 hours) at night to set up for 3D calibration. I need to find a way to secure a pair of 3D glasses in front of my meters to do a profile then calibrate. I'm guessing it won't be too long since I want to watch Avatar and Life of Pi in full BR 3D. biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonvr View Post

NEWBIE
N3W813


3=E
8=B
1=I

Bingo! smile.gif
post #12879 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3W813 View Post

Actually, I haven't calibrated any 3D modes at all yet. I don't really watch 3D but it is on my to-do list. tongue.gif I just need to find some time (3-4 hours) at night to set up for 3D calibration. I need to find a way to secure a pair of 3D glasses in front of my meters to do a profile then calibrate. I'm guessing it won't be too long since I want to watch Avatar and Life of Pi in full BR 3D. biggrin.gif
Bingo! smile.gif

Thanks. I look forward to your settings. I am using your 2D settings for 3D now but I am sure they will look more awesome once you set them up.
post #12880 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mother View Post

+1
I would think a "good" price would be in the low to mid $4k range. The hours on the set wouldn't concern me. Give them a low offer and see what/if they counter. I would sign up for the best buy card for 0% financing (another incentive for them to sell you the set BTW) and qualify you for a bunch of best buy gift cards. Get a pro to calibrate it and sit back and enjoy.

wow...are you guys really getting the 70" open box in the mid 4K range?

there are two open ones near me and they are marked in the low 6K...like $6150 I think



Warren
post #12881 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

wow...are you guys really getting the 70" open box in the mid 4K range?

there are two open ones near me and they are marked in the low 6K...like $6150 I think



Warren
Since price discussion isn't allowed in this thread, I'll just say I bought a NIB 70" for CONSIDERABLY LESS than the open box you speak of about 3 months ago. This is why I speculate that a floor model of a discontinued item would be in the low-mid $4k range. Honestly though, with tight supply at this point I have no idea what stores are getting. It's a phenomenal set and worth paying a bit more just to get the biggest (and best?) while they're still out there.
post #12882 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonvr View Post

NEWBIE
N3W813


3=E
8=B
1=I
It's the new encryption math!!! eek.gif Who would've knew!
post #12883 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post

It's the new encryption math!!! eek.gif Who would've knew!
Well, no, it's almost 30 years old

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet
post #12884 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mother View Post

Since price discussion isn't allowed in this thread, I'll just say I bought a NIB 70" for CONSIDERABLY LESS than the open box you speak of about 3 months ago. This is why I speculate that a floor model of a discontinued item would be in the low-mid $4k range. Honestly though, with tight supply at this point I have no idea what stores are getting. It's a phenomenal set and worth paying a bit more just to get the biggest (and best?) while they're still out there.

you bought it from Best Buy?

as I heard 'cost" was around 5K





Warren
post #12885 of 14509
I am also one of the people that bought their new 70" Elite from Best Buy and it was considerably less than the open box price mentioned. Rumor had it that the BB cost was $4600. Hi Sick. Glad you are still enjoying your Elite. Did you get it calibrated yet? Are you still thinking about doing that?
post #12886 of 14509
I saw a open box/display 60 inch Elite going for $2499 today at Brandsmart USA in South Florida.
post #12887 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

you bought it from Best Buy?

as I heard 'cost" was around 5K

Warren

I bought my 70" from BestBuy for 5499 brand new.
post #12888 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonvr View Post

Well, no, it's almost 30 years old

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet
Well, I'm busted! My gaming went as far as Tomb Raider 3 rolleyes.gif ... although I just found a bunch of Intellivison cartridges in an old box eek.gif
post #12889 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2 View Post

I bought my 70" from BestBuy for 5499 brand new.

I got my 70" new for $5100 from Best Buy.
post #12890 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarnut View Post

I got my 70" new for $5100 from Best Buy.

interesting

my local stores didnt "get the price memo"

My market still has new in box 70's for SUBSTANTIALLY more than you guys paid

can I ask the city and state of the BB you bought it in?



Warren
post #12891 of 14509
I live in Florida but bought mine through a Best Buy in Ohio (but I can't remember which one). Mrcarnut MIGHT be able to help you on this one. He had a connection with his local store but I have no idea if that deal is still "in play". When I bought my 70" about 3.5 months ago I was told this was the last one they were going to sell at the price I paid (which is VERY close to what mrcarnut paid for his).
post #12892 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post

You can't compare the Oppo 103 to the 752 - you should have looked at the Oppo 105 which has the high-end audio section.

To summarize, I was mainly comparing video of Oppo 103 with Integra 50.3. i think video of 103 and 752 are probably almost identical. Same chip, same menus, same adjustments. Once I was able to match picture of Integra with 752 with changes in picture adjustments, I was thrilled because I was hoping to be able to take advantage of better digital converters in 752, but I didn;t want to compromise on the picture.. Audio wise, I am sure the OPPO 105 is probably very close to the 752 and if it was available locally I may have ended up with it.

I have now eliminated my Integra 9.9 processor that I was using for its multi channel ins and I am using a Dangerous Music ST and SR to send my 752 to the amps in 5.1 and the sound is very high quality with incredible detail.

Back on topic... Love my ELite!!

Dennis
post #12893 of 14509
Just got back from Best Buy. I ended up biting the bullet and buying the 70" floor model. I paid $4,800 for it. I realize that's a lot of money for a TV that's been sitting on the floor for over a year and a half, but that's as low as they were willing to go. I inspected it closely, and the thing appears to be in great shape. It's being delivered on Friday. Can't wait! smile.gif
post #12894 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

interesting

my local stores didnt "get the price memo"

My market still has new in box 70's for SUBSTANTIALLY more than you guys paid

can I ask the city and state of the BB you bought it in?



Warren

Baldwin, NY
post #12895 of 14509
I recently purchased a Sharp Elite Pro-60x5fd. I read on RemoteCentral and AVSFORUM, there's a new firmware upgrade (this news could be dated) that supports discrete Power On / Power Off. I contacted the "Elite" Support Center and the person was downright
rude that I was missinformed, the only Power Code supported was the Button on the remote which he provided via the attached pdf file.
I'm using a Phillips Pronto TSU-9400 and want to add Power On to my menu selections such as "Watch TV", "Watch DVD". As everyone knows, putting the Power Toggle code in the Actions causes the TV to turn off if you were already watching TV and want to switch to
watch a DVD. Can someone please let me know how to tackle this problem. Thank you. 1709_AQUOS IR Codes 2012.pdf 82k .pdf file
post #12896 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCVideoFan View Post

I recently purchased a Sharp Elite Pro-60x5fd. I read on RemoteCentral and AVSFORUM, there's a new firmware upgrade (this news could be dated) that supports discrete Power On / Power Off. I contacted the "Elite" Support Center and the person was downright
rude that I was missinformed, the only Power Code supported was the Button on the remote which he provided via the attached pdf file.
I'm using a Phillips Pronto TSU-9400 and want to add Power On to my menu selections such as "Watch TV", "Watch DVD". As everyone knows, putting the Power Toggle code in the Actions causes the TV to turn off if you were already watching TV and want to switch to
watch a DVD. Can someone please let me know how to tackle this problem. Thank you. 1709_AQUOS IR Codes 2012.pdf 82k .pdf file

Wait .... what? The Elites don't support discrete on and off codes? That's pretty shocking considering how high end of a set it is. If this is true, I have to say I'm very disappointed.
post #12897 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post

Wait .... what? The Elites don't support discrete on and off codes? That's pretty shocking considering how high end of a set it is. If this is true, I have to say I'm very disappointed.
They work for me ...
post #12898 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post

They work for me ...

That's a relief. My TV is arriving on Friday, and it would be very hard to program reliable macros without discrete codes. Where did you get them from? Did you have to use hex codes? I have a URC MX-980.
post #12899 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post

That's a relief. My TV is arriving on Friday, and it would be very hard to program reliable macros without discrete codes. Where did you get them from? Did you have to use hex codes? I have a URC MX-980.

Here you go smile.gif

ELITE RC code.pdf 141k .pdf file
post #12900 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3W813 View Post

Here you go smile.gif

ELITE RC code.pdf 141k .pdf file

That's exactly what I needed. Thanks a bunch!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread