or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread - Page 438

post #13111 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog750 View Post

My living room has a fair amount of ambient light and I also use the TV as a monitor for a dedicated computer hooked to it. I would have image retention and possibly burn in very quickly.

Look at the Samsung F8500, as it get's pretty bright. Near LED levels. The VT & ZT have excellent light filter as well. Also, I used my 58V10 with a dedicated computer. No issues. I wouldn't leave it on overnight, but you shouldn't have any issues if you pay a little attention to it. Short story, a lot of the old drawbacks about plasma simply aren't true any more.
post #13112 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

Look at the Samsung F8500, as it get's pretty bright. Near LED levels. The VT & ZT have excellent light filter as well. Also, I used my 58V10 with a dedicated computer. No issues. I wouldn't leave it on overnight, but you shouldn't have any issues if you pay a little attention to it. Short story, a lot of the old drawbacks about plasma simply aren't true any more.

Ok, thanks I will look into it. I thought at first the Return Authorization Best Buy was giving me was for a full refund, but it only authorizes a replacement. So they would likely either replace it with the 950 which costs $2000 less, or try to give me an edge lit set worth several thousand less with no other compensation.
post #13113 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog750 View Post

Ok, thanks I will look into it. I thought at first the Return Authorization Best Buy was giving me was for a full refund, but it only authorizes a replacement. So they would likely either replace it with the 950 which costs $2000 less, or try to give me an edge lit set worth several thousand less with no other compensation.

How much did you pay for your Elite? Maybe you can convince them to swap it out for the 75" Samsung. It's still edge lit, but It's a pretty darn nice set in most ways.
post #13114 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post

How much did you pay for your Elite? Maybe you can convince them to swap it out for the 75" Samsung. It's still edge lit, but It's a pretty darn nice set in most ways.

With tax I paid $6400. I'd be skeptical of the Samsung 75". Although I haven't seen it in person, Samsung has had a reputation lately of the worst sets for spotlighting and non-uniformity. They seem to aim more for gimmicks like motion and voice control instead of PQ. I'm reading the f8500 plasma 64" is a very close option in PQ. But they cost $3400. It would be sickening to leave $3000 on the table for a straight swap. I could probably sell my Elite for more than $3400 since the only problem with it is a bad IR sensor.
post #13115 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog750 View Post

With tax I paid $6400. I'd be skeptical of the Samsung 75". Although I haven't seen it in person, Samsung has had a reputation lately of the worst sets for spotlighting and non-uniformity. They seem to aim more for gimmicks like motion and voice control instead of PQ. I'm reading the f8500 plasma 64" is a very close option in PQ. But they cost $3400. It would be sickening to leave $3000 on the table for a straight swap. I could probably sell my Elite for more than $3400 since the only problem with it is a bad IR sensor.


Have you thought of just getting a repairman and paying for the repair yourself? Shouldn't be too much, no more than $200. You will loose more than that on a sale.

Also, you could locate a great demo in your area and have BB swap it out for that.
post #13116 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post

Have you thought of just getting a repairman and paying for the repair yourself? Shouldn't be too much, no more than $200. You will loose more than that on a sale.

Also, you could locate a great demo in your area and have BB swap it out for that.

Well, as the old saying goes: When you want something done right, you have to do it yourself. I drove a few blocks down the road and talked to a TV repair place that said they would be delighted to repair the TV. So I got their number, called Elite and had them hook up the paperwork and I am supposed to be getting a tech out soon. Apparently Sharp/Elite has very few techs except in major cities and they don't want to deal with you if you aren't close to one. At least they were willing to give a return authorization number instead of completely blowing me off. That's something I guess.
post #13117 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog750 View Post

Well, as the old saying goes: When you want something done right, you have to do it yourself. I drove a few blocks down the road and talked to a TV repair place that said they would be delighted to repair the TV. So I got their number, called Elite and had them hook up the paperwork and I am supposed to be getting a tech out soon. Apparently Sharp/Elite has very few techs except in major cities and they don't want to deal with you if you aren't close to one. At least they were willing to give a return authorization number instead of completely blowing me off. That's something I guess.

I guess that is progress..keep us posted.
post #13118 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog750 View Post

Well, as the old saying goes: When you want something done right, you have to do it yourself. I drove a few blocks down the road and talked to a TV repair place that said they would be delighted to repair the TV. So I got their number, called Elite and had them hook up the paperwork and I am supposed to be getting a tech out soon. Apparently Sharp/Elite has very few techs except in major cities and they don't want to deal with you if you aren't close to one. At least they were willing to give a return authorization number instead of completely blowing me off. That's something I guess.

Great to hear. Hopefully it works out. I think many of us who like this display, but have to deal with these nagging issues are in the same position. Right now there just is no competition for the 70" Elite. If you go with something else, you will either take a hit on price, size or quality, or maybe all of the above. eek.gif Until Sony, Samsung or even Sharp themselves gets their act together, on the 70" + sets, it may be years before there is a true successor to the Elites.
post #13119 of 14509
Was there ever a calibration thread for this display and if so, where is it to be found? link?
post #13120 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Was there ever a calibration thread for this display and if so, where is it to be found? link?

Many of us, myself included, have had great results using Newbie's settings. He posted two different calibrations. The first one is for an early build, and the second one is for the most recent Nov. 2012 build ...

Aug. 2011 calibration chart:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1358702/official-sharp-elite-pro-70x5-and-60x5-owners-thread/11490#post_22656711

Nov. 2012 calibration chart:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1358702/official-sharp-elite-pro-70x5-and-60x5-owners-thread/12840#post_23159814
Edited by gweempose - 5/2/13 at 3:03pm
post #13121 of 14509
Would like to know if anyone other than DJG has done ISF Day/Night settings for the Elites? It would be nice to have several settings to compare.
post #13122 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post

Yeah the 70" Elite has no competition unless you want to go down 5". Hell, if I find a 60" Elite cheap enough I will replace my Kuro 151HD......even though I would prefer a new plasma in the bedroom, but at let's say $2,500 or below......Hmmmm.

That would be a huge mistake..remember 2 years ago at the first introduction of the Elite at the VE shootout.,the 141 bested it and the rest of the tv's being shown. A fact I know because I was there in person on that Saturday night. To replace a 151 with the Elite for size only , but not quality. Even God himself,no names, is looking to replace his Elite. I think you know who I am talking about. From what I understand he is looking at the new line of Panny plasmas. Surprised?........he certainly owes a lot of apologies.
post #13123 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post

Sorry. My 70" looks more like a Porsche 959 Classic ... but fine if it makes you feel better rolleyes.gif

is that a Porsche Cayan..LOL
post #13124 of 14509

biggrin.gif
post #13125 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post

That would be a huge mistake..remember 2 years ago at the first introduction of the Elite at the VE shootout.,the 141 bested it and the rest of the tv's being shown. A fact I know because I was there in person on that Saturday night. To replace a 151 with the Elite for size only , but not quality. Even God himself,no names, is looking to replace his Elite. I think you know who I am talking about. From what I understand he is looking at the new line of Panny plasmas. Surprised?........he certainly owes a lot of apologies.


I know.....I was there at the shoot out with you. I knew from the get go you just didn't like the Elite and never gave it a chance. Yes the141 did best in some things but not in others. The 141's bright room view is limited compared to the Elite and the Elite will best it in blacks......just not shadow detail. Also, they are totally different sets, that serve different purposes.....I know, I have both.

I guess you are talking about Ken Ross. Well, he is not replacing his Elite, just adding a plasma to his new house. By the way, he generally prefers the Samsung 8500 not the Panny's, but I will let him speak for himself. Oh and let the disdain for others go......These are just TV's!!! rolleyes.gif
post #13126 of 14509
The biggest contribution some people can make to a thread is to not reply to any post that was intended to irritate others. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Enjoy. smile.gif
post #13127 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

The biggest contribution some people can make to a thread is to not reply to any post that was intended to irritate others. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

In other words ...

Don't Feed the Trolls
post #13128 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post

I know.....I was there at the shoot out with you. I knew from the get go you just didn't like the Elite and never gave it a chance. Yes the141 did best in some things but not in others. The 141's bright room view is limited compared to the Elite and the Elite will best it in blacks......just not shadow detail. Also, they are totally different sets, that serve different purposes.....I know, I have both.

I guess you are talking about Ken Ross. Well, he is not replacing his Elite, just adding a plasma to his new house. By the way, he generally prefers the Samsung 8500 not the Panny's, but I will let him speak for himself. Oh and let the disdain for others go......These are just TV's!!! rolleyes.gif

no names please..........but he had a 151 that he sold here on AVS and is now looking at another plasma. If you have a 151,111, plasma hold onto it. If you feel the need to own an Elite, you know the risks, but I would advise hold off until you see what this year brings to the table. Then if you must still have one be patient as the prices which have already dropped, will be hitting rock bottom soon. I agree they are 2 different tvs, with different purposes , different plusses and minuses. The Elite promised the world and they tried for quite a bit of time to live up to the hype, but Sharp has since dropped the ball on quality control and did not fix the known issues since way back then. The high cost, number of returns, exchanges, repairs, etc hit Sharp hard and it killed the production of a better , improved gen 2 which would have been really interesting to see 4 sure. It's not the first time the electronics world delivered a high cost product that was short lived. I think the Elite would have had a longer run if it could have been released a few years earlier. Timing is everything. Consumers are looking for better but cheaper especially with TV's. By now we would have been up to a 4th or 5th gen Elite which would be superior to the existing model at a lower cost.
post #13129 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post


biggrin.gif

beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #13130 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post

That would be a huge mistake..remember 2 years ago at the first introduction of the Elite at the VE shootout.,the 141 bested it and the rest of the tv's being shown. A fact I know because I was there in person on that Saturday night. To replace a 151 with the Elite for size only , but not quality ...

I've owned a 151 since the set first came out, and I recently picked up a 70X5. I watch them both every day, and I can honestly say that I am enjoying the 70X5 more. Part of this may simply be because of the larger screen, but the LCD just has a sharper image with more pop. My main gripe with LCDs over the years has always been their motion handling. After tweaking the 70X5, I have to say I'm quite pleased with it in this regard.
post #13131 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post

I've owned a 151 since the set first came out, and I recently picked up a 70X5. I watch them both every day, and I can honestly say that I am enjoying the 70X5 more. Part of this may simply be because of the larger screen, but the LCD just has a sharper image with more pop. My main gripe with LCDs over the years has always been their motion handling. After tweaking the 70X5, I have to say I'm quite pleased with it in this regard.

definitely the 70 inch screen is a big advantage over the 60 inch 151. Both provide great picture quality but differently. LCD tv's have more pop and plasmas deliver a more pure picture similar to crt's. You are luck to own both, best plasma tv and best LCD tv' to date.
post #13132 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post

I've owned a 151 since the set first came out, and I recently picked up a 70X5. I watch them both every day, and I can honestly say that I am enjoying the 70X5 more. Part of this may simply be because of the larger screen, but the LCD just has a sharper image with more pop. My main gripe with LCDs over the years has always been their motion handling. After tweaking the 70X5, I have to say I'm quite pleased with it in this regard.

+1

I think a lot of owners of both sets feel this way. It's like you get the black levels and some brightness too! The Kuro is great for what it does, but I won't miss the heat and high power requirement. I am really struggling right now as to what to replace the Kuro with, a ZT60 or a Sony 65HX950, or maybe a 60" Elite. I am leaning towards the ZT60, because I would like both types of tech Plasma and LED, but man the Elite has spoiled me, because now I want those bright whites, with great black levels. Not sure the ZT60 can do both, and if I feel I am missing something in the picture, I will be wasting my money on it because I will hardly watch it.
post #13133 of 14509
Elite Fed Ex'd the IR sensor to the local repairman of my choice and it was fixed in 15 minutes. After seeing what was involved, I could have easily done it myself in probably 20 minutes. Amazing what problems were being created by such a simple fix.
post #13134 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog750 View Post


Elite Fed Ex'd the IR sensor to the local repairman of my choice and it was fixed in 15 minutes. After seeing what was involved, I could have easily done it myself in probably 20 minutes. Amazing what problems were being created by such a simple fix.

That's awesome! It's s shame you had to jump through so many hoops to get it fixed, but at least it all worked out in the end. Now you can just sit back and enjoy one of the best TVs on the planet. smile.gif
post #13135 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog750 View Post

Elite Fed Ex'd the IR sensor to the local repairman of my choice and it was fixed in 15 minutes. After seeing what was involved, I could have easily done it myself in probably 20 minutes. Amazing what problems were being created by such a simple fix.


Great, just as I figured, it would be better to to handle this yourself instead of letting Sharp do it for you. Hopefully the repair didn't cost too much.
post #13136 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post

Great, just as I figured, it would be better to to handle this yourself instead of letting Sharp do it for you. Hopefully the repair didn't cost too much.

Elite paid for it. I just had to do the legwork myself to get a repairman. Less than stellar warranty service, but I've heard of much worse. The worst case scenerio would have been Sharp just blowing me off claiming a tech would get with me but never actually calling one.
post #13137 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post



The Kuro is great for what it does, but I won't miss the heat .

nothing like snuggling up in front of a nice hot Kuro on a cold winter's night..LOL.

.I know what you mean.about how warm Kuros get and the area around the tv gets heated as well.
post #13138 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post

+1

I think a lot of owners of both sets feel this way. It's like you get the black levels and some brightness too! The Kuro is great for what it does, but I won't miss the heat and high power requirement. I am really struggling right now as to what to replace the Kuro with, a ZT60 or a Sony 65HX950, or maybe a 60" Elite. I am leaning towards the ZT60, because I would like both types of tech Plasma and LED, but man the Elite has spoiled me, because now I want those bright whites, with great black levels. Not sure the ZT60 can do both, and if I feel I am missing something in the picture, I will be wasting my money on it because I will hardly watch it.

The fact that we're even still talking about the Kuros all these years later just goes to show how ahead of everybody else Pioneer was when they pulled the plug on their TV division. I can only imagine how amazing the Kuros would be now if they had continued to evolve all this time.
post #13139 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog750 View Post

Elite paid for it. I just had to do the legwork myself to get a repairman. Less than stellar warranty service, but I've heard of much worse. The worst case scenerio would have been Sharp just blowing me off claiming a tech would get with me but never actually calling one.
Kdog:

Did you call any of the repair shops I listed for you? Thanks.
post #13140 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post

beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes! And I find both Kuros and Sharp Elites beautiful. Kind of like Maseratis and Ferraris smile.gif.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread