or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread - Page 441

post #13201 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by seansingh7326 View Post

hi does anyone know if the elite advantage live support offers you a refund if your not happy with your tv. i have a 60 in elite and im not happy with it i had it for 2 days and i can't take it back to where i got it from because the return period include the day when i bought it. it was a 14 day return period and now its 15 days. even though i recieved my elite this week

This is a pretty poor policy. Where did you buy it from?
post #13202 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

This is a pretty poor policy. Where did you buy it from?

Best Buy now only has a 2 week window. It used to be 30 days.
post #13203 of 14509
I was in the San Carlos CA BB/Magnolia Design Center today. The price tag on their 70" Elite was the usual 7,499.99 on sale from $8,000. I didn't stop to ask if they had any in stock so I don't know if that's what they want for the demo or for a new one.
post #13204 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by seansingh7326 View Post

hi does anyone know if the elite advantage live support offers you a refund if your not happy with your tv. i have a 60 in elite and im not happy with it i had it for 2 days and i can't take it back to where i got it from because the return period include the day when i bought it. it was a 14 day return period and now its 15 days. even though i recieved my elite this week
Did you talk to the store manager as soon as you decided you wanted to return the Elite? I think there have been some reports of flexibility if you are referring to BB. My guess is that you didn't buy from BB. I'd be very surprised if BB started their return period before a set was delivered.
post #13205 of 14509
No, i didnt buy it from best buy. Its a brand new tv i bought online. When it came i checked the serial number and call elite support to check if its a refurbished tv, but they said its brand new and covered under warranty. i just want to get a refund and i was wondering before i called them if anyone ever got a refund from them or have any advise. The tv is only 3 days old. My problem is the tv is very grainy and blurry, i think you called it dse. Its really bad on mine. I judge a tv from first impression and i dont want another one. I tried all kind of setting and its still there. I had high hopes for this tv after hearing so much good things about it , now i feel like a got screwed over.
post #13206 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by seansingh7326 View Post

No, i didnt buy it from best buy. Its a brand new tv i bought online. When it came i checked the serial number and call elite support to check if its a refurbished tv, but they said its brand new and covered under warranty. i just want to get a refund and i was wondering before i called them if anyone ever got a refund from them or have any advise. The tv is only 3 days old. My problem is the tv is very grainy and blurry, i think you called it dse. Its really bad on mine. I judge a tv from first impression and i dont want another one. I tried all kind of setting and its still there. I had high hopes for this tv after hearing so much good things about it , now i feel like a got screwed over.
Do you realize that if you don't say who you bought the set from, no one here can help you?

Instead of coming here first, it would have been better to call the merchant, speak to a manager, and make the case that the set is defective and you've only had it two days -- well now it's three days. And under no circumstances should you bring up your reaction to first impressions. If that doesn't work then come here with detailed information and someone may be able to help you.
post #13207 of 14509
I'm considering a 70 demo but its serial number starts with 214, I know that the November units start with 211, anyone here has any idea when this demo was made?

Thanks,

R
post #13208 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by seansingh7326 View Post

No, i didnt buy it from best buy. Its a brand new tv i bought online. When it came i checked the serial number and call elite support to check if its a refurbished tv, but they said its brand new and covered under warranty. i just want to get a refund and i was wondering before i called them if anyone ever got a refund from them or have any advise. The tv is only 3 days old. My problem is the tv is very grainy and blurry, i think you called it dse. Its really bad on mine. I judge a tv from first impression and i dont want another one. I tried all kind of setting and its still there. I had high hopes for this tv after hearing so much good things about it , now i feel like a got screwed over.
You didn't get screwed over, you got a defective set, there's a difference. No one is trying to get you smile.gif. Call Elite and talk to them. You're under warranty, and I believe if they can't fix it they will refund based on other posted experiences.
post #13209 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by seansingh7326 View Post

No, i didnt buy it from best buy. Its a brand new tv i bought online. When it came i checked the serial number and call elite support to check if its a refurbished tv, but they said its brand new and covered under warranty. i just want to get a refund and i was wondering before i called them if anyone ever got a refund from them or have any advise. The tv is only 3 days old. My problem is the tv is very grainy and blurry, i think you called it dse. Its really bad on mine. I judge a tv from first impression and i dont want another one. I tried all kind of setting and its still there. I had high hopes for this tv after hearing so much good things about it , now i feel like a got screwed over.

can you post picture of the defect?
Is it visible all time? on all modes? on what pattern?
Just in case - did you check for sharpness level and change it?
did you try dot for dot?
what's source?

there are so many factors that effect TV picture.

just trying to help.
post #13210 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog750 View Post

Best Buy now only has a 2 week window. It used to be 30 days.

I was asking seansingh7326. I am aware of the Best Buy policy, but they would not deny a return on a TV that was only delivered a few days ago.
post #13211 of 14509
Would you buy a floor model Elite 70" that has been on the floor since November 2011?

Also, the image appeared to be blurry at times, was this just poor video feed or could it be something worse?
post #13212 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuda View Post

Would you buy a floor model Elite 70" that has been on the floor since November 2011?

The one I recently bought had been on the floor since September 2011, and it's fine.
post #13213 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuda View Post

Would you buy a floor model Elite 70" that has been on the floor since November 2011?

Also, the image appeared to be blurry at times, was this just poor video feed or could it be something worse?
The answer to both "blurry" questions is yes. If a LCD display is "blurry" then it's defective, or there is a problem in the combination of setup and source material.

You need to watch something on the set where you know in advance that the source is good. Have them hook up a Blu-ray player, and bring your own Blu-ray movie to watch. Bring one that's movie based instead of TV based.

Modern plasma displays take about 100,000 hours to use up half of their brightness. If that's also true of LCD displays you should be fine from the age point of view. If the store is open 11 hours a day, and the set was always on (probable), that's about 5,700 hours in about 515 days. If it doesn't have something wrong with it now, it's probably going to last a long time. As long as the price is right, it's probably fine. I would include the price of a professional calibrator who has a good reputation here at AVS. smile.gif

At least you know that the dealer didn't lie to you about how long the set had been a demo.wink.gif

As a demo, what sort of warranty are you getting? It's pretty normal to get a full manufacturer's warranty with demos.
Edited by htwaits - 5/12/13 at 12:47am
post #13214 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuda View Post

Would you buy a floor model Elite 70" that has been on the floor since November 2011?

Also, the image appeared to be blurry at times, was this just poor video feed or could it be something worse?


Mine was a floor model(8/11) build, no issues at all.
post #13215 of 14509
This was posted by a member on Blu-Ray.com

Elite line Discontinued by Sharp:

http://www.twice.com/articletype/news/no-2013-elite-tvs-coming-sharp/106893

Sad news but I am happy to have purchased my 70" instead of waiting for the gen II Elite Unicorn.wink.gif
post #13216 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

This was posted by a member on Blu-Ray.com

Elite line Discontinued by Sharp:

http://www.twice.com/articletype/news/no-2013-elite-tvs-coming-sharp/106893

Sad news but I am happy to have purchased my 70" instead of waiting for the gen II Elite Unicorn.wink.gif

It's about time they announced this publicly.
post #13217 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

This was posted by a member on Blu-Ray.com

Elite line Discontinued by Sharp:

http://www.twice.com/articletype/news/no-2013-elite-tvs-coming-sharp/106893

Sad news but I am happy to have purchased my 70" instead of waiting for the gen II Elite Unicorn.wink.gif
"unable to acquire a key component part needed for the advanced TVs"

Maybe they weren't able to move enough units to justify the price of that mystery component part.
post #13218 of 14509
I purchased a floor demo 70" (serial number 108xxxxx) from a local BB/Magnolia today for $4,300. It is in perfect physical condition and includes all manuals, accessories, etc. I did a few quick checks for dead pixels and DSE in the store and it appeared fine, but will do a much more thorough eval after it is delivered this Friday.

Many thanks to gweempose for sharing the receipt from his recent purchase as it was key in helping me secure the price I negotiated.
post #13219 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post


"unable to acquire a key component part needed for the advanced TVs"

Maybe they weren't able to move enough units to justify the price of that mystery component part.

Very speculative and very doubtful.

 

Glad I just got my 60". The decision was between the Sharp Elite and new Sony 4K. Liked the Sharp so much better. It replaced a Pioneer Elite Kuro 150.

post #13220 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Snigggles View Post

The decision was between the Sharp Elite and new Sony 4K. Liked the Sharp so much better. It replaced a Pioneer Elite Kuro 150.

Could you elaborate on what you liked over the new Sony 4K? I am happy with my Elite 60 but those new 4K TVs look very nifty.
post #13221 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmcdaniel View Post

Many thanks to gweempose for sharing the receipt from his recent purchase as it was key in helping me secure the price I negotiated.

No worries. Glad it worked out for you. The funny thing is that I gave my receipt to three different people, and every one of them ended up getting a better deal than I did. The manager at my Best Buy simply refused to go any lower than 40% off MSRP. I probably could have gotten a better deal if I had returned the set and tried a different store, but at that point it just seemed like more trouble than it was worth. The set I bought had no dead pixels or other problems, and I would have felt like an idiot if I bought one at another store that ended up having issues.
post #13222 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

"unable to acquire a key component part needed for the advanced TVs"

Maybe they weren't able to move enough units to justify the price of that mystery component part.

I agree, definitely sounds like spin. They were just not selling enough of these things at the high prices they were charging. At the shootout Robert did hint that they are working on 4K for larger screen sizes. Whether or not they will be Elites is unknown.
post #13223 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey94025 View Post


Could you elaborate on what you liked over the new Sony 4K? I am happy with my Elite 60 but those new 4K TVs look very nifty.

I thought the Elite black levels and contrast were better. 4K material certainly looked very good, but I was not impressed with the upconversion of 1080 to 4K. I thought 1080 material looked better, with more detail, on the Elite than on the Sony.

 

I also thought the side speakers diminished the elegance of just a simple frame as the Elite has. And with the speakers being concave, there was always a reflection that caught my eye. 

 

I wanted to like the Sony 4k as I knew the Sharp was being discontinued and that did bother me a bit. But in the end, the superior picture of the Elite won me over.

 

I even kept the Elite box just in case I changed my mind and wanted to return it. But over the last week or so that I've had the Elite, I just continue to love the quality of the picture. Just threw out the box today. It's staying.

post #13224 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Snigggles View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

"unable to acquire a key component part needed for the advanced TVs"


Maybe they weren't able to move enough units to justify the price of that mystery component part.
Very speculative and very doubtful.

Glad I just got my 60". The decision was between the Sharp Elite and new Sony 4K. Liked the Sharp so much better. It replaced a Pioneer Elite Kuro 150.
OK. It was meant to cast doubt on Sharps explanation. Any company that sole sources a critical part for their flag ship product is taking a big risk. smile.gif
post #13225 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Snigggles View Post

I also thought the side speakers diminished the elegance of just a simple frame as the Elite has. And with the speakers being concave, there was always a reflection that caught my eye.

I can't fathom what Sony was thinking with those speakers. It's like they went the complete opposite direction of the way the entire industry is trending.
post #13226 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

"unable to acquire a key component part needed for the advanced TVs"

Maybe they weren't able to move enough units to justify the price of that mystery component part.

I agree, definitely sounds like spin. They were just not selling enough of these things at the high prices they were charging. At the shootout Robert did hint that they are working on 4K for larger screen sizes. Whether or not they will be Elites is unknown.
... or edge lit like the Sony. mad.gif
post #13227 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post

No worries. Glad it worked out for you. The funny thing is that I gave my receipt to three different people, and every one of them ended up getting a better deal than I did. The manager at my Best Buy simply refused to go any lower than 40% off MSRP. I probably could have gotten a better deal if I had returned the set and tried a different store, but at that point it just seemed like more trouble than it was worth. The set I bought had no dead pixels or other problems, and I would have felt like an idiot if I bought one at another store that ended up having issues.

Totally agree with your approach, if you find a set that is perfect it is not worth the time and hassle over a few hundred bucks.

I had initially thought about trying to work two different BB/Mags off one another that were in the same area of Chicago and both had 70" floor models for sale (one of the stores had two of them), but when I got to the first store today and saw that their set was in perfect condition with a Nov 2011 serial number it seemed dumb to push my luck and drag it out.

Best part was that I didn't even have to haggle. The manager was actually excited about the idea and "bragging rights" of beating the price of another BB/Mag and offered $4,600 to me as soon as I showed him your receipt! It took less than 30 seconds to get him down to $4,300, no wonder they are in trouble!!
post #13228 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post

I can't fathom what Sony was thinking with those speakers. It's like they went the complete opposite direction of the way the entire industry is trending.

Agreed. I took my wife to look at the Elite before purchase and they had moved the Sony 4k to where the Elite had previously been. I initially did not realize they had moved the Elite and when I pointed to where I thought it was and my wife saw the Sony she looked at me and emphatically declared there was no way that thing was coming into our house (because of the speakers). It was rather amusing as she is "visually challenged" (her term) and leaves design/aesthetic decisions to me but got very worked up when she saw the XBR!!!
post #13229 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

"unable to acquire a key component part needed for the advanced TVs"

Maybe they weren't able to move enough units to justify the price of that mystery component part.

There is some truth to this. They were having trouble sourcing the Wi-Fi board. On top of this though, without coming up with an entirely different model, they had no way to drop the price enough to keep it relevant in the market. This combination of factors is what led to the result. If Sharp can stay profitable and find a way to bring it back at a price that could increase velocity they will do so. As the article says though, nothing this year. Personaly, I think Sharp would be foolish to not brand their first 4K set as an Elite.
post #13230 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post


OK. It was meant to cast doubt on Sharps explanation. Any company that sole sources a critical part for their flag ship product is taking a big risk. smile.gif

Perhaps you are correct. I guess anything is possible in this crazy AV world.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread