or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread - Page 449

post #13441 of 14509
Does anyone on here know where I can get a BRAND NEW, FACTORY-FRESH PRO-70X5FD??? Please I need your help. Many thanks
post #13442 of 14509
eBay
post #13443 of 14509
Quote:
Does anyone on here know where I can get a BRAND NEW, FACTORY-FRESH PRO-70X5FD??? Please I need your help. Many thanks

http://www.paulstv.com/led-televisions/elite-pro70x5fd.asp
post #13444 of 14509
The only thing you have to be careful about is that the remaining stock is likely to be from the Nov. 2012 build. Make sure you buy it from a place with a good return policy just in case there are issues.
post #13445 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog750 View Post

I have the pulsing effect often too. Mostly in dimly lit scenes. Annoying as hell. It's almost like the TV can't decide whether that area of the screen needs to be bright or dark.

However I noticed if you have any of the noise reduction options on, it makes it worse.

I've tried different Noise Reduction settings (including Off, of course!), but it doesn't eliminate or even reduce the pulsing problem on my set. As far as I can tell from reading this forum, not all Elites have this problem. (That's true from my experience, too. I have yet to see the problem on my 60" Elite.) Sharp is sending someone out to take a look at the set. If they manufacture Elites without the problem, they may be able to fix it. I'll let you know how it goes.
post #13446 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Video Auteur View Post

I've tried different Noise Reduction settings (including Off, of course!), but it doesn't eliminate or even reduce the pulsing problem on my set. As far as I can tell from reading this forum, not all Elites have this problem. (That's true from my experience, too. I have yet to see the problem on my 60" Elite.) Sharp is sending someone out to take a look at the set. If they manufacture Elites without the problem, they may be able to fix it. I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks, keep us posted.
post #13447 of 14509
I found a like new 60" Elite on CL in my area that comes with a 3 year warranty. There are a few swirl marks/scuffs on some of the plastic at the bottom but everything else is basically mint (no marks on the screen or metal bezel). The set looks way better than a couple of floor model ones that I saw at BB a few months ago that had been abused. He wants 3k for it. Is this a good deal? I still have my 60" kuro so I guess I could sell it to offset some of it but I am not sure if it is worth it. I believe my kuro does have the red tint issue as I have stated before but I only notice it occasionally in a completely dark room. I am very tempted because of the extended warranty and because I simply have not been happy with any other LCD/LED I have seen. I also think it's time to leave plasma if I was to sell my kuro because I am still worried about IR on the panasonic/samsung models.

Any thoughts?

Part of me says to do it but the other part says to ride the kuro until it stops working. I am still happy with the image of my kuro (even with the red tint issue but that is annoying) and I haven't even had it calibrated in a couple of years. It would be nice to buy the Elite though and know I wouldn't even have to look for an upgrade for 3 years.

It is a November build date by the way. I did check it out and didn't see anything bad screen wise.
Edited by YOTR - 6/24/13 at 10:50am
post #13448 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

The F8500 also won the VE shootout and it was up against the VT and ZT60.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post

The F8500 was awarded THE best tv at the 2013 VE shootout.

Have you seen the results? The expert's all gave better marks to both the VT and ZT across the board, except for the one category of day mode brightness. http://tc-p65zt60.com/uploads/VE_2013_Shootout_Results.pdf

If a bright screen is very important (i.e. you have too much light in the room) then I supposed go with the samsung.

Anyway, this isn't the thread for it. But since Elites are virtually non-existent now (I know, I've been looking!) others might want this info.
post #13449 of 14509
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo_btru View Post


Have you seen the results? The expert's all gave better marks to both the VT and ZT across the board, except for the one category of day mode brightness. http://tc-p65zt60.com/uploads/VE_2013_Shootout_Results.pdf

If a bright screen is very important (i.e. you have too much light in the room) then I supposed go with the samsung.

Anyway, this isn't the thread for it. But since Elites are virtually non-existent now (I know, I've been looking!) others might want this info.

You can't compare those results with the Sharp Elite it wasn't in the HD Shootout. cool.gif
post #13450 of 14509
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Video Auteur View Post

I've tried different Noise Reduction settings (including Off, of course!), but it doesn't eliminate or even reduce the pulsing problem on my set. As far as I can tell from reading this forum, not all Elites have this problem. (That's true from my experience, too. I have yet to see the problem on my 60" Elite.) Sharp is sending someone out to take a look at the set. If they manufacture Elites without the problem, they may be able to fix it. I'll let you know how it goes.

All Elite's will exhibit what is known as pulsing, some people are more susceptible to it than others and source content has a large factor as well. Additionally some people have described the issue differently than others but it appears to all be the same issue known as pulsing, it's inherent in the local-dimming technology I believe and is not fixable by any firmware update. I happen to be one of those lucky few who don't see it very often, at least not enough to be an issue for me. When I do see it it's usually under poor source content like cable television. cool.gif
post #13451 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo_btru View Post


Have you seen the results? The expert's all gave better marks to both the VT and ZT across the board, except for the one category of day mode brightness. http://tc-p65zt60.com/uploads/VE_2013_Shootout_Results.pdf

If a bright screen is very important (i.e. you have too much light in the room) then I supposed go with the samsung.

Anyway, this isn't the thread for it. But since Elites are virtually non-existent now (I know, I've been looking!) others might want this info.


A lot of folks seem to focus on peak brightness when really the Samsung has better overall dynamic range when you factor in the ABL. Panasonic ABL is very aggressive, the image looks murky and dull at times when the 8500 looks more correct. This being when both TVs are "calibrated" to 35fl.
post #13452 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51 View Post

All Elite's will exhibit what is known as pulsing, some people are more susceptible to it than others and source content has a large factor as well. Additionally some people have described the issue differently than others but it appears to all be the same issue known as pulsing, it's inherent in the local-dimming technology I believe and is not fixable by any firmware update. I happen to be one of those lucky few who don't see it very often, at least not enough to be an issue for me. When I do see it it's usually under poor source content like cable television. cool.gif

The Sony 950 is local dimming and I have never read anything on that thread that suggests pulsing. I think it's a phenomenon isolated to the Elite.
post #13453 of 14509
post #13454 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51 View Post

All Elite's will exhibit what is known as pulsing, some people are more susceptible to it than others and source content has a large factor as well. Additionally some people have described the issue differently than others but it appears to all be the same issue known as pulsing, it's inherent in the local-dimming technology I believe and is not fixable by any firmware update. I happen to be one of those lucky few who don't see it very often, at least not enough to be an issue for me. When I do see it it's usually under poor source content like cable television. cool.gif

I own two Sharp Elites: the 60" has never shown a trace of pulsing, but the 70" has the problem several times during the length of any blu-ray movie. (Yes, some movies do seem to set it off more frequently, and others more rarely, but I've seen it with quality recent releases (such as Mad Men and Never Let Me Go) as well as with older fare (suc as Sex, Lies & Videotape). Since I have both televisions, I've had ample opportunity to compare them, and it does seem that not all Elites have the problem.

I also own a Samsung UN55B8500 - the last of their local dimmers in that size - and it has never shown an artifact like the pulsing.
post #13455 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakenergy View Post

is this the new Elite -

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/26/sharp-announces-the-8-000-70-inch-4k-aquos/

Interesting. No talk of using Pioneer tech though.
post #13456 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBRSteve View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakenergy View Post

is this the new Elite -

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/26/sharp-announces-the-8-000-70-inch-4k-aquos/

Interesting. No talk of using Pioneer tech though.
Nothing about local area dimming either.
post #13457 of 14509
Yeah I kind of doubt you will get 4K and local dimming for $8,000. Hopefully this panel looks better than their regular line of edge lit sets with 4K slapped on.
post #13458 of 14509
Unless it is backlit with local dimming, I am EXTREMELY SKEPTICAL that it will produce an image as good as, much less superior to, the Elite. Are there really any Elite owners out there who feel the resolution is lacking on a high-quality blu-ray viewed at any sane distance?
post #13459 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakenergy View Post

Is this the new Elite -

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/26/sharp-announces-the-8-000-70-inch-4k-aquos/

You notice how they don't mention anything about full array local dimming. It's clearly edge lit. frown.gif
post #13460 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakenergy View Post

Is this the new Elite -

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/26/sharp-announces-the-8-000-70-inch-4k-aquos/

You notice how they don't mention anything about full array local dimming. It's clearly edge lit. frown.gif
There is a 4K bandwagon like higher contrast numbers, higher refresh rates and 3D. Manufactures expect the market to upgrade every time they come up with a new "higher" number. wink.gif
post #13461 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

There is a 4K bandwagon like higher contrast numbers, higher refresh rates and 3D. Manufactures expect the market to upgrade every time they come up with a new "higher" number. wink.gif

I'm not looking to be a 1st adopter (this time smile.gif). I will wait till 4k matures a bit before I dive in. I am still enjoying my Elite.
post #13462 of 14509
Quote:
You notice how they don't mention anything about full array local dimming. It's clearly edge lit.

Yes they don't mention it but it is THX certified display, are there any panels that are THX certified but edge lit?
post #13463 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBRSteve View Post

I'm not looking to be a 1st adopter (this time smile.gif). I will wait till 4k matures a bit before I dive in. I am still enjoying my Elite.

I'm with you. I'm sitting out 4K at least 5 years. My 70" Elite will have to do and honestly, this display with the ISF calibration that Kevin Miller did looks fantastic (even a November build smile.gif ).
-Evangelo2
post #13464 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2 View Post

I'm with you. I'm sitting out 4K at least 5 years. My 70" Elite will have to do and honestly, this display with the ISF calibration that Kevin Miller did looks fantastic (even a November build smile.gif ).
-Evangelo2
My ISF is will be completed on July 15th, can't wait to see the difference. I always heard it's worth it but haven't actually seen a calibrated panel.
post #13465 of 14509
It's also interesting that the new Sharp 4K set uses active shutter glasses. I've always felt that one of the main benefits at this point of a 4K TV is it's ability to show passive 1080p 3D without any loss in resolution. I guess active 3D could show more 4K resolution, but that seems like it will be of limited usefulness for the time being.
post #13466 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBRSteve View Post

I'm not looking to be a 1st adopter (this time smile.gif). I will wait till 4k matures a bit before I dive in. I am still enjoying my Elite.

Unless something shocking develops, I'm planning to keep using my 1080p set and milk Blu-ray for all its worth, skip 4K, and upgrade when 8k comes along. Should be inside of 10 years.
post #13467 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2 View Post

I'm with you. I'm sitting out 4K at least 5 years. My 70" Elite will have to do and honestly, this display with the ISF calibration that Kevin Miller did looks fantastic (even a November build smile.gif ).
-Evangelo2

I musta missed something, but what's wrong with the November Elites?
post #13468 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post

I musta missed something, but what's wrong with the November Elites?

Since it was the last production run, they seemed to throw quality control out the window to save some bucks. There are wide spread issues of DSE and other problems with the set on November builds. They didn't have to worry about taking a hit to the TV's reputation since they knew there would be no more.
post #13469 of 14509
I also have a November build and the set is fantastic; what an incredible picture!
post #13470 of 14509
+1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread