Originally Posted by RadTech51
Misinformation here I'm afraid, if you wish to compare the Sharp Elite an (LED / LCD) Technology to a (Plasma) display then we should get the facts correct.
1. No Plasma display's have better black levels in the Elite, comparable perhaps with the VT60 but still not as good as the Elite.
2. No Plasma display today has the contrast ratio of the Elite or anything close to it. The full screen retina burning bright white uniformity the Elite it's stunning to see, no Plasma comes close to it yet.
3. No image retention, screen burn, buzzing / humming that most Plasma displays exhibit that only increases the further you go above sea level.
4. Elite has much lower power consumption than any Plasma display.
5. Elite screen size is up to 70'' vs 65'' maximum on any Plasma display right now.
I could continue but this is not a comparison thread if you wish you can private msg me anytime to further this conversation. My end point here is pick your poison and go with what you like, there are more than enough justifiable reasons for someone to choose the Elite over a Plasma right now. This thread is about the Sharp Elite and for people interested in purchasing one or wishing to find out more information about one, so let's not forget that.
seriously?...I just read this quote of what I stated as I dont visit this thread often
1. Splitting hairs...and you put the Pioneer Kuro in that mix if you want to include discontinued models
2. Samsung F8500
3. Pretty much a non -issue in modern plasmas......but I will give you the fact that if you live in Denver there might be some differences
4. Much lower?.....$25.00 a year( based on 8 hours a day viewing) is MUCH lower?
5. I will give you this one....though that was no part of my original comment
I could go on as well...but a few of the points above are so minimal it doesn't make sense
and will add a 6th point...by far the most important
6. The dollar value to picture quality ratio.....which is really the bottom line cant be touched in a higher end Plasma panel
if you think $25.00 a year in energy usage qualifies as MUCH more energy...how do you define thousands of dollars of cost savings in buying the set?
Dont get me wrong I like the Elite...at the current clearance prices I have seen locally of 55-60% off retail its is NOW a good value
To be honest...when I saw it initially I didnt think it would be a success at that price point and I think the same way about the new Sony 4K TV
The fact that both Sharp and Sony are losing money on the TV business( and have been for a few years) will probably dictate more shake up to come
I get this is not a comparison thread...as my initial comment was positioned against a reply to another posters comment and was really 90% about economics than subjective issues
WarrenEdited by turnne1 - 7/1/13 at 9:37am