or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread - Page 455

post #13621 of 14509
Do you know the sku numbers for the 60 and 70? I remember seeing them in the thread at one time but I can't find them. I called BB and they are trying to find the sku to do a search across all the stores in Texas.
post #13622 of 14509
Im looking up locations for you. I put in Arkansas since it may not be a bad drive for a good deal. With that said a 60x5 did pull up Winchester road lacation
in TN. for 2909.00 everything included and in excellant shape. You can always ask for less
post #13623 of 14509
Dont remember the sku for these
post #13624 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron2 View Post

Im looking up locations for you. I put in Arkansas since it may not be a bad drive for a good deal. With that said a 60x5 did pull up Winchester road lacation
in TN. for 2909.00 everything included and in excellant shape. You can always ask for less

How are you seeing this on their site? I can't pull up anything elite related. I would just like to search Texas because I know they would at least transfer it to me. If I have to go out of state, it might not be worth it (even with a discount when you consider gas, I would need to have a truck to bring it back, etc). Thank you for looking! At least if I can't find one in Texas, I know I really only have one option.
post #13625 of 14509
you go to a store that is listed online then click the open box tab then hometheatre tab then tv tab and if they have a elite it will show how many
post #13626 of 14509
3143129 is the sku for the 60 inch. Found one in the houston area store number 876 but they want 3999.99 for it excellant condition all equipment there. Tell them these are selling in other locations across the country for 2071.99 see if they will match it. Those prices of 2071.99 are on best buy.com. Look at the Issaquah store in Washington state for an example or the Tacoma Washington State store they have one at that price as well.

3143456 is the sku for the 70x5

Hope you find one
Edited by baron2 - 7/31/13 at 9:10am
post #13627 of 14509
I called best buy and they did a search in Texas. They found a few including that one in Houston (she said it had been repaired though so I don't want to mess with that. They found a wall mounted one in location by me but they don't have the stand or glasses (said they could order them). Said it was $2155 open box but I bet I could get them down to $2000. My concern is that it has probably been on the entire time for close to 2 years. Plus I would want to add an extended warranty and I would have to go through BB because it was open box. The person on the phone said it was in excellent condition but it still concerns me. So I can probably get it from BB for $2500-$2700 with tax with the extended warranty or get a brand new one for $3300.
post #13628 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

I called best buy and they did a search in Texas. They found a few including that one in Houston (she said it had been repaired though so I don't want to mess with that. They found a wall mounted one in location by me but they don't have the stand or glasses (said they could order them). Said it was $2155 open box but I bet I could get them down to $2000. My concern is that it has probably been on the entire time for close to 2 years. Plus I would want to add an extended warranty and I would have to go through BB because it was open box. The person on the phone said it was in excellent condition but it still concerns me. So I can probably get it from BB for $2500-$2700 with tax with the extended warranty or get a brand new one for $3300.

From my understanding with LED its different than plasma. A lot of people on this thread mentioned buying with hours on it is not as big a concern as hours on plasma. As far as warrenty is concern I would prefer best buy warranty over most others. Pixel issues they have the best warranty. 3 or more bad pixels best buy replaces display. Elite warranty says 10 or more to replace display. Your cost on a best buy warranty for a display costing 2100 or a little more is going to be 329.00 to 379.00. If the cant fix problems they will replace display with one that has specs that are at the level of the display you are buying or they will issue you a gift certificate in the amount you paid for the display. That price for warranty I gave you is for 4 years starting the day of purchase. If you just go elite warranty you can register it online and get 2 years plus 3 extra months. Hope that helps
post #13629 of 14509
At 2 grand tax shouldnt be more than 10% unless your state is pure robbery. 10% of 2 grand is 200.00 throw 4 year warranty in it for another 379.00 and your out the door at around 2600.00 Read the fine print on some of these 3rd party warranties, but I do like best buy warranty, might be more expensive but you get good coverage
post #13630 of 14509
I think I will go look at the set on the wall after work for a minute and then make a decision. I did call back and they stated it had been mounted for a long time (maybe even since the model came out). It is high up so it sounds like cosmetically it is in great condition. He did stated that the full 2 year warranty would apply but obviously the only way to get an extended warranty is through BB because it is open box (no squaretrade option). I am sure I could talk them down on the warranty a bit but I know it would still be $2500-$2700 out the door with warranty/tax as stated before. Not sure if that amount of savings is worth it. I feel like $3000-$3200 is fair for a brand new one even now (again you got a great deal!) so I know I would be overpaying a bit. They are very hard to find now though especially brand new and with a warranty. He did state that all tv's in that area are turned on each day for the entire time the store is open. So I figure the set has 7000-8000 hours on it. Not horribly concerned about that but I have never bought anything open box especially an expensive tv. Now if they had a 70" open box, I would probably just risk it smile.gif. I did have them check and absolutely no 70" models left in Texas. They even looked outside of Texas and couldn't find one (I think she just looked in a few surrounding states around Texas though).
post #13631 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron2 View Post

From my understanding with LED its different than plasma. A lot of people on this thread mentioned buying with hours on it is not as big a concern as hours on plasma. As far as warrenty is concern I would prefer best buy warranty over most others. Pixel issues they have the best warranty. 3 or more bad pixels best buy replaces display. Elite warranty says 10 or more to replace display. Your cost on a best buy warranty for a display costing 2100 or a little more is going to be 329.00 to 379.00. If the cant fix problems they will replace display with one that has specs that are at the level of the display you are buying or they will issue you a gift certificate in the amount you paid for the display. That price for warranty I gave you is for 4 years starting the day of purchase. If you just go elite warranty you can register it online and get 2 years plus 3 extra months. Hope that helps

That's what I was thinking also. I know with plasma it is a concern. The person at BB stated that I would most likely get a gift certificate or another model like you stated if it broke down the road. I would definitley just pay the extra for piece of mind.
post #13632 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron2 View Post

At 2 grand tax shouldnt be more than 10% unless your state is pure robbery. 10% of 2 grand is 200.00 throw 4 year warranty in it for another 379.00 and your out the door at around 2600.00 Read the fine print on some of these 3rd party warranties, but I do like best buy warranty, might be more expensive but you get good coverage

I checked and at $2000 plus tax/warranty, it would be about $2550 or so. That would be a considerable amount of savings if the set looks good. I am going to wall mount it but would still make them order a stand for down the road. I need to let the dealer know today about the new one though so I will swing by BB and make a decision. They don't have the box but stated they would pack it for the delivery. It still worries me but I guess I would just have to prepare that it would definitely have a few nicks/scratches on it when it arrived (it being an open box item).

Baron2,

I really do appreciate all of your help with this. I at least have an option that I can consider. I guess if it looks trashed or I am concerned, I will have to go with the new one.
post #13633 of 14509
Not sure if you have followed this thread in the last 5 months or so but you need to check the serial number of that brand new in box if it is a november 2012 build people are having issues with those. Apparently screen uniformity issues. if the serial numbers start with # 211 the 2 is the year and the next 2 digits are the month. if the one at best buy has been up that long it wont be a november 2012 build. But to be sure just look at the bottom right side of display on the back the serial number will be there. More than likely it will be # 1108 to start. thats a 2011 october build. Hope this helps not trying to scare you on those 2012 november builds but there is a number of post concerning this. I got real lucky my NIB is a 2011 october build.
post #13634 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

I called best buy and they did a search in Texas. They found a few including that one in Houston (she said it had been repaired though so I don't want to mess with that. They found a wall mounted one in location by me but they don't have the stand or glasses (said they could order them). Said it was $2155 open box but I bet I could get them down to $2000. My concern is that it has probably been on the entire time for close to 2 years. Plus I would want to add an extended warranty and I would have to go through BB because it was open box. The person on the phone said it was in excellent condition but it still concerns me. So I can probably get it from BB for $2500-$2700 with tax with the extended warranty or get a brand new one for $3300.

You are talking about spending $2k plus on a 2011 model, most, if not all, will have a lot of hours on all components.. Most will be missing some accessories.. Possibly have a few light scratches from everyones hands touching it over the past two years.. The Elite is a great model and has great blacks, but honestly, I didn't think the off angle viewing was all that great for the money. There are better options today, and with 4k, and 4k content evolving and prices of 4k TV's going down, I would reconsider spending 2k plus on a floor demo.. 2013 going forward will be great for the HDTV industry.. The Elite was ahead of its time in 2011, and has held up just fine in 2012.. It will have a following for years, but HDTV technology is now moving fast, as can be seen in the new Panasonic and Samsung 2013 model plasmas.. They also have incredible black levels, more features, and offer better off viewing angle.. Do not take this the wrong way, I'm not in any way bashing the Elite.. I like it a lot (it's far better in black level than my es8000), just not at this point in the game. smile.gif
Edited by badabing - 7/31/13 at 10:48am
post #13635 of 14509
I hear what your saying about 2013 plasma but I think the OP didnt want plasma, so his options are limited. This still is the best LED out there including any 2013 models by other
manufactures. And the only full backlit model available.
post #13636 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

I checked and at $2000 plus tax/warranty, it would be about $2550 or so. That would be a considerable amount of savings if the set looks good. I am going to wall mount it but would still make them order a stand for down the road. I need to let the dealer know today about the new one though so I will swing by BB and make a decision. They don't have the box but stated they would pack it for the delivery. It still worries me but I guess I would just have to prepare that it would definitely have a few nicks/scratches on it when it arrived (it being an open box item).

Baron2,

I really do appreciate all of your help with this. I at least have an option that I can consider. I guess if it looks trashed or I am concerned, I will have to go with the new one.

If you do consider the new in box for 3300 from the other dealer just ask him to look at the serial number on the box and have him give it to you. Also does he allow returns if you
dont like the set? B.B. return policy is now only 15 days unless you are a silver rewards customer then its 60 days. The poster who just posted has some good points but if I remember correctly you didnt want plasma this time around for the resons you had mentioned which are valued reasons. Panasonic has had IR issues for a few years now even though they make a great plasma. Not sure on Samsung and what issues they have this year if any. I hear the F8500 Samsung is a nice plasma but not near the balck levels of the Panasonic, but black levels are not the only thing that makes a good display.
post #13637 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by badabing View Post

You are talking about spending $2k plus on a 2011 model, most, if not all, will have a lot of hours on all components.. Most will be missing some accessories.. Possibly have a few light scratches from everyones hands touching it over the past two years.. The Elite is a great model and has great blacks, but honestly, I didn't think the off angle viewing was all that great for the money. There are better options today, and with 4k, and 4k content evolving and prices of 4k TV's going down, I would reconsider spending 2k plus on a floor demo.. 2013 going forward will be great for the HDTV industry.. The Elite was ahead of its time in 2011, and has held up just fine in 2012.. It will have a following for years, but HDTV technology is now moving fast, as can be seen in the new Panasonic and Samsung 2013 model plasmas.. They also have incredible black levels, more features, and offer better off viewing angle.. Do not take this the wrong way, I'm not in any way bashing the Elite.. I like it a lot (it's far better in black level than my es8000), just not at this point in the game. smile.gif

I have looked at the new plasmas and my friend has a VT60. I really do like the image quality and it's good to know that this years plasmas (I would even include the Samsung 8500 in that discussion) are at the level of my old kuro or at least close. My main issues with plasmas (with the exception being my old Kuro) is the heat they give off and the IR problems. Yes I know there have been plenty of people that report no issues with IR on the panasonics but I have seen it at BB (yes I know they leave the set on one channel or loop the same image with the same static logos) and my friend has had a few instances on it with his VT60 already (and that's with close to 1000 hours on it). My Kuro was IR proof. I never had one issue with it. My friend played 10 minutes of madden the other night on his VT60. When he exited out, we watched a movie. You could slee the scoreboard on the screen. Yes it was very light (and you could only see it during light scenes) but it was there and it was distracting. He calls me 3 days later and stated it was finally gone after he ran the scroll bar for a few hours each night and watched full content without logos all day during that time. That kind of stuff really concerns me if that is possible after 10 minutes of playing a game let along watching a football game on tv. My Kuro used to take a few seconds at most for something to disappear. Normally I never even saw that. It just didn't show IR at all. I have kids, Wii U, PS3, etc so I know I am going to have a lot of static images on the screen. I have had plasmas exclusively only for over 5 years but I got really spoiled with my Kuro. Honestly the black levels of even the S64 look good enough for me. It's the IR that worries me.

My only real concern with the Elite is the viewing angles but I think I can live with it. I still could go for plasma but as of right now I am not sold fully. I agree about the open box option though. I am going to go look at it but I have a feeling I will just pay the extra for the new one if I decide to go with the Elite.
post #13638 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron2 View Post

Not sure if you have followed this thread in the last 5 months or so but you need to check the serial number of that brand new in box if it is a november 2012 build people are having issues with those. Apparently screen uniformity issues. if the serial numbers start with # 211 the 2 is the year and the next 2 digits are the month. if the one at best buy has been up that long it wont be a november 2012 build. But to be sure just look at the bottom right side of display on the back the serial number will be there. More than likely it will be # 1108 to start. thats a 2011 october build. Hope this helps not trying to scare you on those 2012 november builds but there is a number of post concerning this. I got real lucky my NIB is a 2011 october build.

I remember reading about that. I will call him back and see if he can tell me the build date. Thanks for the heads up.
post #13639 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

I checked and at $2000 plus tax/warranty, it would be about $2550 or so. That would be a considerable amount of savings if the set looks good. I am going to wall mount it but would still make them order a stand for down the road. I need to let the dealer know today about the new one though so I will swing by BB and make a decision. They don't have the box but stated they would pack it for the delivery. It still worries me but I guess I would just have to prepare that it would definitely have a few nicks/scratches on it when it arrived (it being an open box item).

Baron2,

I really do appreciate all of your help with this. I at least have an option that I can consider. I guess if it looks trashed or I am concerned, I will have to go with the new one.


Be sure to check the remote if they have it.
post #13640 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron2 View Post

If you do consider the new in box for 3300 from the other dealer just ask him to look at the serial number on the box and have him give it to you. Also does he allow returns if you
dont like the set? B.B. return policy is now only 15 days unless you are a silver rewards customer then its 60 days. The poster who just posted has some good points but if I remember correctly you didnt want plasma this time around for the resons you had mentioned which are valued reasons. Panasonic has had IR issues for a few years now even though they make a great plasma. Not sure on Samsung and what issues they have this year if any. I hear the F8500 Samsung is a nice plasma but not near the balck levels of the Panasonic, but black levels are not the only thing that makes a good display.


Yes he does. He will actually help me set it up and test it out. If I didn't play video games at all, it would be a no brainer to get the 65VT60 or even the Samsung (the samsung is at least $500 more even from a dealer which is crazy to me). I honestly liked the Samsung in the store but supposedly it has really bad input lag. I don't play competively so I doubt I would notice it. Still though with the Samsung going for around $3000 or so from a reputable online dealer vs $3300 for an Elite, I would probably go for the Elite. The VT60 can be had for a lot less though.

I agree black levels are not everything. The Samsung is really nice and I honestly liked the picture more compared to the Panasonic. It's black levels are not as good but they are plenty dark to me and close enough to my old Kuro that was exhibiting grey anyway (with the red tint).
post #13641 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHadoWFoX View Post

Be sure to check the remote if they have it.

Good point! I have seen quite a few people posting about their open box set not having one. If I can save close to a grand and it's in amazing condition, then it may be worth it. Less than that though (and say they don't have the remote and won't provide glasses or the stand) and the headache of buying open box might not be worth it.
post #13642 of 14509
Let us know how you make out with you purchase.
post #13643 of 14509
Moved to correct thread.

Thanks.
Edited by gtbdevs - 7/31/13 at 12:40pm
post #13644 of 14509
there is a thread for talk about price/ deals on the Sharp Elite

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1374144/sharp-elite-prices

this thread is for owners and technical talk: we cannot let it be overrun with price/ where to buy

thanks
post #13645 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

there is a thread for talk about price/ deals on the Sharp Elite

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1374144/sharp-elite-prices

this thread is for owners and technical talk: we cannot let it be overrun with price/ where to buy

thanks

Thanks Mark. Sorry about that. I forgot their was a thread in the deals forum.
post #13646 of 14509
I just found a open box 70 inch (which I already own) in a store in Northern Illinois and they were asking a bit to much. I don't want to violate talking price on this thread but am I understanding that you don't get a standard Sharp warranty on an open box set? Thanks in advance for any answers. Just for information only I have my set on at least 10 to 14 hours a day since Oct 2011 and have not had a single issue to date. Great set while running an 11.2 sound system with it.
post #13647 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by kee68 View Post

I just found a open box 70 inch (which I already own) in a store in Northern Illinois and they were asking a bit to much. I don't want to violate talking price on this thread but am I understanding that you don't get a standard Sharp warranty on an open box set? Thanks in advance for any answers. Just for information only I have my set on at least 10 to 14 hours a day since Oct 2011 and have not had a single issue to date. Great set while running an 11.2 sound system with it.

The 2 year warranty still applies. If you buy it register it online or on the phone and you get an additional 3 months on the warranty
post #13648 of 14509
Well I went tonight and closed the deal at BB but I am thinking about going first thing in the morning to cancel. The set was a demo on the wall and cosmetically it looks great. Just a few nicks but basically brand new as far as looks. It is one of the November build dates and I think I saw banding in the middle. That wasn't a huge issue but that is still a huge concern in my eyes. I was there a long time and it honestly might have been the lights in BB but I noticed it. I got the price that was mentioned earlier but that's because they didn't have the stand. They also didn't have the remote. They gave me a Logitech remote for cost which was nice but honestly I would want the Elite one. They found both pairs of 3D glasses but they are really banged up (not a huge deal because I doubt I would use them much). The set had been up on the wall for almost a year. I did confirm that it was run 10 hours a day during that time and sometimes through the night! That wasn't a huge worry but I was shocked to hear that at times they don't shut everything down at night.

So the total ended up being about what Baron2 payed for his new one plus tax (geek squad 4 year warranty included). I guess I could have just gone with the 2 year sharp factory warranty that is included and saved a few hundred but I would be a bit scared doing that with it being open box. The more I think about it though, the more I might just go with the new one. When I added up the fact that the stand was missing (I might not wall mount it but I would be forced to with the BB one) and is hard to order (sharp had no stock when they called them) and the fact that I would need to buy a new elite remote, the deal became a bit less appealing. Plus the other guy is throwing in another 2 pairs (total of 4) of 3D glasses. Yes I would still be saving money from what I was offered but not that grand difference that I was thinking about. Probably a few hundred less than that. Plus I can add the costco square trade warranty for quite a bit less than BB's.

It isn't scheduled to be delivered until Tuesday so I assume as long as I get up there tomorrow, I should be good (I mean I have 15 days to return regardless but I don't want to put them out if I know for sure I am changing my mind). I definitely pushed hard when no stand and remote were included but they just took another 10% off for those things missing. The manager wouldn't even throw in the logitech remote for free which kind of annoyed me. I know for a fact the stand and remote are not cheap and not easy to find.

So I don't know what I am going to do yet but will think about it tonight. I have to let the dealer know by tomorrow regardless because he was going to drive up on Friday to deliver the set. Kind of bummed because I was having second thoughts as I was ordering it at BB but I guess I thought it was a good deal. At first I got really excited because I thought BB was taking 20% off of the clearance price. I might not be having second thoughts if that had happened.

Also, the dealer one is not a November build date smile.gif. I didn't know that until I got home tonight.
post #13649 of 14509
I would not get hung up on the hours on the set, that it was left on all night (LEDs have a VERY LONG life), or that the factory remote is missing. I have a Harmony remote and it is all I use. My set is a "dreaded" 11/12 build (70") and looks INCREDIBLE. Many owners have reported no issues with their 11/12 Elites. If the savings is considerable, buy the BB warranty, take it home and try it out. If issues arise bring it in for a new one. BB will swap it out.

John
post #13650 of 14509
If it hung on the wall for over 1 year it would not be the november 2012 model. You can get a stand and remote from elite website for 230.00 shipped. There is also a guy on ebay who has been trying to sell his new stand for the 60 starting bid 59.99. There are options. Remotes also come onto ebay as well. With that said if you find peace of mind spending the extra cash for the new in box then peace of mind is what you should go for. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread