or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread - Page 469

post #14041 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewS99 View Post

I'm looking at a best buy open box/demo with a few tiny frame dings.
No remote, no glasses, does have the stand. Picture looks great. Didn't check the serial number
But has been there a year so its not November 2012.

They want between 2k and 3k. Magnolia guy said they couldn't go any
Lower first time I asked him. They can get a remote.

Should I pull the trigger?

Is it the 70x5 or 60x5 you are looking at? If its the 60x5 then from all the ones that are still for sale in washington State
2 to 3k is over priced this late in the game. One of the B.B. Magnolia stores in my area has a brand new one for 2k even.

70x5 - sorry. I can't believe I didn't state that in my original post.
I'd be upgrading from a Sharp 60LE810UN.
Edited by AndrewS99 - 9/8/13 at 3:49pm
post #14042 of 14509
between 2 & 3k , is it closer to 2k or 3 k. thats a 1k spread there. Its up to you as far as if its a good deal. If its in the middle its still a good deal.
Have you looked on the lower right side of the display to see what the serial number is? The 1st digit is the year and the 2nd and 3rd digits are the month it was manufactured.
post #14043 of 14509
Sorry - wasn't sure if I could quote price. $2599. I will have to get the sn. They have had it for at least a year so it isn't a November 2012 build.
post #14044 of 14509
I would say read a bunch of these post in this thread make sure you go there and watch it for awhile with some of your favorite
blurays and see if its what you like. It does come with a 2 year plus and extra 3 months warranty when you register it with Elite.
I like my 70x5, it has a great picture.
post #14045 of 14509
What pricing should a NIB 70" be expected currently?
post #14046 of 14509
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dealaddict View Post

What pricing should a NIB 70" be expected currently?

I'm assuming NIB = new in box? My next questions would be what's the return policy like? How many days do you have to evaluate the 70'' Elite and make sure you're happy with it before loosing the return or exchange window? Some places will charge a bunch of $$$ for restocking it calling it an open box fee etc. If so how much do they change for this or will they wave it if you to decide to upgrade to another display? All of this will factor into the decision. I'd wager a guess and say the price range would be anywhere from Low 2.5K to High 5K depending how you answer the questions. This is of course only a guess, I don't like to talk about prices actually since it's a very controversial subject. cool.gif
post #14047 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewS99 View Post

Sorry - wasn't sure if I could quote price. $2599. I will have to get the sn. They have had it for at least a year so it isn't a November 2012 build.

I bought mine as an off the wall demo with a November 11 build date. I paid $3300 with Glasses and Stand, but no remote. I still feel like I got a heck of deal and I'm super happy with the TV.

I checked the hours on my TV before purchasing it. There was just over 1000 hours on it. That didn't bother me a bit as it was much lower than I have read from others doing the same thing. There's a post on here somewhere that tells you how to get into the service menu to check the hours. It might be worth it to see how many hours are on it.

Heck, if you don't buy it, I may have too at that price just to have a spare. biggrin.gif
post #14048 of 14509
quote name="baron2" url="/t/1374144/sharp-elite-prices/510#post_23721778"]
I called into Sharp Elite and asked for some clarification on this matter. ( I actually called twice and spoke to 2 different customer reps ) I told them I was looking at purchasing a B.B. display model that had been running everyday for 2 years now and would probally have over 8k hours on it. I asked for their definition of what is not a manufacture defect. They told me

1. Power surges
2, If the display stops working due to water submerssion
3. If the display stops working due to it being knocked over or dropped.
4. If someone breaks the screen.

Pretty straight forward with their explanation. They also went as far as saying it doesnt matter if anyone buys a display model from a reputable dealer with 100 hours on it or 10000 hours on it it is still covered under the 2 year manufacture warranty as if it was brand new.

As far as purchasing an Elite extended warranty is concerened the pricing is based on different purchase price levels and sales tax is not included in an actual purchase price of display.
If you bought your 70x5 or 60x5 between $1500.00 to $2500.00 tlike a number of us late commers did he price for a 1 year Elite extended warranty is $97.99. For a 2 year extended warranty the price
is $118.70. That pricing is only good for the 1st 90 days after original purchase, goes up after that. Now if your display has to be replaced under the 2 year manufactures warranty your choices are more than likely going to be a refurbished replacement or a cash buyout for what you paid for your display. The reason you will almost always not get a new display is Sharp does not have or keep new Elites only refurbished if they even have those, but they do get them once inawhile, they just dont have tons of them in stock. They only way you could get a new display this late in the game is if the place you bought your display still has new ones in box. Since most of us late commers that have purchased at Best Buy we all know that the reason we purchased display units was their was no new in box to be found.

If you offered a refurbished display for original manufactures warranty purposes your display will be covered under warranty for the remainder of your original 2 years or 90 days whichever is greater.
If you have the Elite extended warranty as well this will not effect that warranty and the price of it unless you get a different model number for a refurbished exchange. If it is a different model number ( and yes going from a 60x5 to a 70x5 is considered a different model number ) then you will receive your original purchase price of the Elite extended warranty back and you will need to purchase a refurbished warranty. The price on that now would be $120.00 for a 1 year or 299.99 for 3 years of extended coverage, remember these prices are based on an original purchase price of $1500.00 to $2500.00 for our displays.

I also took the liberty to sit down and talk with the General Manager at one of my local Best Buy's and explained I might have some concern about what Sharp considers manufacture defect especially if buying a floor model display unit with lots of hours on it. He didnt try to sell me a Geek Squad warranty, he told me if Sharp didnt cover their warranty just because something Stopped Working Correctly
Best Buy would take care of the issue to my satisfaction.

Now with all that said I feel comfortable with my purchase and hope everyone else that purchased open box or floor model display units will feel the same. I am also going to purchase the Elite extended 2 year warranty, at that price mentioned above its a no brainer. So all of us that do what I am going to do and in that original purchase price range that I mentioned above we end up getting 4 years & 3months of coverege for very little money. Yes its possible that a floor model dislplay with Lots of hours on it may go bad sooner than one that doesnt have that many hours on it, but for the extra $118.70 it beats not being able to get one of these displays at the price we are getting them at. This is still the only manufacture to offer a 2 year original manufactures warranty.

Hope this clears everything up for the people that purchased these and for the people that have commented on getting a floor model with lots of hours on them. Also keep in mind if during the original manufactures warranty or the Elite extended warranty phase if they are not able to at least give you a refurbished unit if your display is not repairable they will setttle with giving you your original purchase price back in Full. So with all that knowledge above I really have nothing to loose for the 1st 4 years and 3 months of my purchase. NO BRAINER. Are there better displays right now maybe 1 or 2 but not with that kind of coverage at that price.[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorJZ View Post


Keep in mind the Sharp warranty covers defects, not parts wearing out...there is a significant difference. It would be interesting to find out what Sharp believes the useful life of the various components to be.[/quot
post #14049 of 14509
What AV Mode is everyone using for cable/satellite TV? I'm definitely using Movie THX for my HTPC/XBMC/PS3 content but was wondering if anyone was using Standard, Optimum or Dynamic for TV? I've got a TiVo hooked up to Time Warner.

Since I can set an AV Mode over IP with my remote, I was going to use Game for XBOX/PS3, MovieTHX for movies and either Standard/Optimum/Dynamic for TV since most of my TV watching is sports...
post #14050 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewS99 View Post

What AV Mode is everyone using for cable/satellite TV? I'm definitely using Movie THX for my HTPC/XBMC/PS3 content but was wondering if anyone was using Standard, Optimum or Dynamic for TV? I've got a TiVo hooked up to Time Warner.

Since I can set an AV Mode over IP with my remote, I was going to use Game for XBOX/PS3, MovieTHX for movies and either Standard/Optimum/Dynamic for TV since most of my TV watching is sports...

I'm using Standard picture mode for Comcast HD viewing.. I have it adjusted for richer colors and deeper blacks. smile.gif
post #14051 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision View Post

I'm using Standard picture mode for Comcast HD viewing.. I have it adjusted for richer colors and deeper blacks. smile.gif

Can you share your current settings for this, would be interested in trying them for my FIOS HD viewing pleasure.
post #14052 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpell33 View Post

Can you share your current settings for this, would be interested in trying them for my FIOS HD viewing pleasure.


Sure, give them a try. These are my current Standard picture mode settings that I enjoy watching SD/HD CATV with. It is not a professional calibration. Although, the richness of the picture would definantly make the TV stand out if it was in a showroom next to other TV's. smile.gif


Intelligent Variable Contrast [Local Dimming On]
OPC [Off]
Backlight [+10]
Contrast [+32]
Brightness [-4]
Color [+17]
Tint [0]
Sharpness [+1]
Gamma [0]

C.M.S.-Hue
R [0]
Y [-13]
G [0]
C [0]
B [0]
M [0]

C.M.S.-Saturation
R [0]
Y [0]
G [0]
C [0]
B [0]
M [0]

C.M.S.-Value
R [0]
Y [0]
G [0]
C [0]
B [0]
M [0]

Color Temp. [Middle]

Active Contrast [On]
Noise Reduction [Middle]
Motion Enhancement [120Hz High]
Precision Color Plus [On]
Film Mode [Off]
Power Saver [Off]
Monochrome [Off]
Edited by Sound & Vision - 9/12/13 at 6:39am
post #14053 of 14509
Thanks!
post #14054 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron2 View Post

Watched Life Of Pi last night for the 1st time, WOW what a great picture on the 70x5.

+1

This was the first 3D Blu-ray I watched on my Elite. It was positively breathtaking!
post #14055 of 14509
Every once in a while my TV does not respond to the power on command. This doesn't happen very often, but I'm certain it's related to a failing IR board. I see that a new board is available on Amazon for $9.99 + $6.49 shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-OEM-Original-Part-DUNTKF909FM01/dp/B00CICL9UI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1379004408&sr=1-1&keywords=DUNTKF909FM01

Is this the correct part? Should I buy one to have on hand in case the situation gets worse? From what I've read, it's a pretty easy fix, and I wouldn't even need a tech to come out. Can it be done without taking the TV off the stand?
post #14056 of 14509
I have an odd question.

After I bought a 70x5fd floor model, I mounted it and was cleaning the screen when I noticed that there was a tiny nick and something was peeling off of it. Is the Sharp Elite supposed to have a glass front? What is on mine seems like a poly or plastic because of the way this tiny nick looks. Also with the screen off looking at the reflection in it, there is a small wave in the reflection on the left 1/3 of the screen - totally not visible with the set on. This doesn't seem like something that could happen on glass. The face looks smooth from the side and the "ripple" is not visible other than by the slightly distorted reflection.
Edited by AndrewS99 - 9/12/13 at 10:28am
post #14057 of 14509
I decided to go with the refurbished unit.
It will be delivered tomorrow....Wish me luck!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcole1224 View Post

Question, would you take a refurbished unit from Sharp?
They called back this afternoon and said they had one for exchange.

I asked for the serial#, they could or would not provide any information on the refurbished unit.

I reluctant to accept a refurbished TV.
Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks
Jerry
post #14058 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcole1224 View Post

I decided to go with the refurbished unit.
It will be delivered tomorrow....Wish me luck!!

Good luck and may the force be with you. smile.gif
post #14059 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcole1224 View Post

I decided to go with the refurbished unit.
It will be delivered tomorrow....Wish me luck!!

Good luck,, Do not sweat the build date.. It does not matter.. Hopefully whatever you recieve will be trouble free. Enjoy!
Edited by Sound & Vision - 9/12/13 at 12:08pm
post #14060 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewS99 View Post

I have an odd question.

After I bought a 70x5fd floor model, I mounted it and was cleaning the screen when I noticed that there was a tiny nick and something was peeling off of it. Is the Sharp Elite supposed to have a glass front? What is on mine seems like a poly or plastic because of the way this tiny nick looks. Also with the screen off looking at the reflection in it, there is a small wave in the reflection on the left 1/3 of the screen - totally not visible with the set on. This doesn't seem like something that could happen on glass. The face looks smooth from the side and the "ripple" is not visible other than by the slightly distorted reflection.

It is not glass.
post #14061 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post

Every once in a while my TV does not respond to the power on command. This doesn't happen very often, but I'm certain it's related to a failing IR board. I see that a new board is available on Amazon for $9.99 + $6.49 shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-OEM-Original-Part-DUNTKF909FM01/dp/B00CICL9UI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1379004408&sr=1-1&keywords=DUNTKF909FM01

Is this the correct part? Should I buy one to have on hand in case the situation gets worse? From what I've read, it's a pretty easy fix, and I wouldn't even need a tech to come out. Can it be done without taking the TV off the stand?

People have reported that that is the correct part number. Hope so since I have one also.
post #14062 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post


People have reported that that is the correct part number. Hope so since I have one also.

Thanks! I think I'll order one just to be on the safe side.
post #14063 of 14509
I think I'm going to keep this 70x5fd floor model but I'm still slightly concerned about one thing - if the TV is off and I'm looking at the reflection of the room on the screen, it is not a perfectly smooth reflection. The screen seems a little "wavy" in spots, like it's not uniformly flat. As far as I can tell, this doesn't translate to the picture when it is on.

Is this "normal" with this set or is it possible that it's damage from being a floor model?
post #14064 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewS99 View Post

I think I'm going to keep this 70x5fd floor model but I'm still slightly concerned about one thing - if the TV is off and I'm looking at the reflection of the room on the screen, it is not a perfectly smooth reflection. The screen seems a little "wavy" in spots, like it's not uniformly flat. As far as I can tell, this doesn't translate to the picture when it is on.

Is this "normal" with this set or is it possible that it's damage from being a floor model?

Nothing to worry about. The screen is not glass, so I'd bet almost all of them have some sort of wave to them if you really what to look for it.
As far as it not being flat and affecting the picture, oled is made with a curved screen. You may be ahead of the game...lol
post #14065 of 14509
Even though this has been said many times before, I'll chime in anyway.

1. Screen: The screen cover is plastic not glass. It is a little wavy and you can see this when looking at reflections from the screen. This level of wavy-ness does not affect the quality of the transmitted screen image. I noticed this on my own 60" set. Nothing at all to worry about, that's just how they are made. Just wish they used anti-reflection (AR) coated glass instead of plastic for easier cleaning and a classier look with lower room light reflections. I think is the cost savings trend in TVs to use a plastic sheet.

2. IR sensor boards: I have a 2012 model and the IR sensor board gave me trouble after about 1 year. IR sensor board was responding intermittently for a few weeks then went out completely for 3 weeks and then came back into operation. Called best buy warranty service and had the boards replaced by the best buy techs. Works great now. It took them all of about 5 minutes. I don't think this is anything to fret over.

Overall, IMHO, this TV when tuned up properly has an incredible picture and is still better than anything other TV out there. Arguably better than the Sony 4K with the exception of the resolution difference. You cant even see those extra pixels at any decent viewing distance anyway.

Ray
post #14066 of 14509
I probably should have grabbed that IR board when I had the chance. It's out of stock now. frown.gif
post #14067 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post

I probably should have grabbed that IR board when I had the chance. It's out of stock now. frown.gif

Google the part number, other places sell it. Not to worry, for Amazon will have it back in stock sooner or later. (Reason they're out of stock is because the guys on this forum are buying them up...lol. Maybe truth in that though, for I bought one a couple weeks ago from Amazon.)
post #14068 of 14509
Is the black level setting on "Movie THX" av mode set for "low" (16-235) like I'm assuming? It's locked out and can't be changed.

I'm trying to get my HTPC/XBMC video chain set up correctly..
Vid source: 16-235
XBMC: 0-255 (full rgb)
Vid Card: 16-235
TV: 16-235 (presumably)

I think I need to get the vid card conversion set to 0-255 full RGB and let the TV do the colorspace conversion
post #14069 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post

Google the part number, other places sell it. Not to worry, for Amazon will have it back in stock sooner or later. (Reason they're out of stock is because the guys on this forum are buying them up...lol. Maybe truth in that though, for I bought one a couple weeks ago from Amazon.)

I think you are onto something there... I bought one and stuck in in a drawer just in case. smile.gif
post #14070 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post


I think you are onto something there... I bought one and stuck in in a drawer just in case. smile.gif

Serves me right for posting a link to it before buying one for myself ... biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread