or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread - Page 473

post #14161 of 14509

Hello

 

Been lurking for a couple of years, finally decided to sign up...My Pro 70 refuses to set up the DLNA. I keep getting no server found errors...Im using Serviio on windows 8. Any suggestions for known fixes out there?

post #14162 of 14509

Nevermind...had to update my java.

post #14163 of 14509
*R.I.P. Elite TV Website and Online Support,

Sad to see it go, we all knew it was going to happen sooner or later... mad.gif

http://elitelcdtv.com
post #14164 of 14509
Think of it this way...
We are the lucky ones. We are the few who have the best TV money could have bought.
biggrin.gif
post #14165 of 14509
Bought an Elite Pro 70X5 yesterday at a local non big box audio/video store and all I can say is WOW!!! I went to the sale to check out their Yamaha receiver sales but when I saw two NIB Elites for sale at 35% off MSRP I just couldn't help myself. smile.gif I've looked at the Elites for years and just couldn't bring myself to fork out that much money for a TV. They didn't have a tech available to do their standard install but offered to have two of their delivery guys follow me home and carry it upstairs to our media room. Mrs. K and I did the swap out of our five year old 52" Samsung ourselves and for the initial setup it was really a plug and play process and pretty much left the set at the default settings for last night. Mrs. K wanted to give it a test run so we watched Avatar last night. All I can say is I've never heard my wife, who is kind of a TV-is-TV-is-a-TV person, go on and on about a TV picture. I didn't know that Sharp had stopped manufacturing the Elites and I hope I don't regret buying a discontinued set but right now I'm a pretty happy camper.
Edited by randyk47 - 11/3/13 at 7:51am
post #14166 of 14509
Congrats Randy! Great purchase indeed. I've had my Elite 70 inch since the first month they went on the market and have loved it ever since. Couple things to note here if you haven't done them already - if you have an Internet connection to the set (highly recommended), make sure to check for a firmware update, as your TV was sitting in the box for quite a while most likely. They haven't updated the software for over a year, but still good to make sure you have the latest (and likely the last) firmware for the set. Next, you may want to calibrate the Movie THX A/V Mode so that it matches the recommended settings from CNET or from others here that have put a ton of time in to tweaking it well. Outside of that, if you're really wanting it to be as close to perfect as possible, you could enlist someone to unlock and use the ISF Day and ISF Night modes, designed for more granular calibrations specific to your actual display. But in any case, I had to smile when I saw your note about watching Avatar. My wife raves about that one too, and it was one of the first times we realized how special this set truly is.

I'm not a huge 3D buff, but I do like pulling out the IMAX Space Shuttle 3D Bluray, Avatar, Tron, and a few others just to see how good 3D really can be. Enjoy the Elite set Randy, we are all very fortunate to own these beauties. For now anyway, I feel no need to try and "up" my viewing experience.

Cheers!
-Brian
post #14167 of 14509
Thanks. I'm still in that "I got a new toy" mode right now. Trying to watch football while doing things like updating my Harmony remote. That turned out to be fun, actually not really, but I've had a number of Harmony remotes and I'm forever forgetting which account is attached to which. Finally got in straightened out and that's working the way I want. I did hook the Elite up to the Internet last night and checked for any updates but none were able so I'm going with that I'm up to date with no expectation that Sharp will release and future updates. Still getting used to the Elite and I'll look at the CNET recommended settings plus go through the 400 plus pages here. Being semi-retired and working out of the house most the time when I have consulting work I have plenty of time to research and play with the settings. Typically I like to take some time to get used to a new set before I make too many changes and this one is way different than my Samsungs which I thought were pretty good until last night. wink.gifsmile.gif
Edited by randyk47 - 11/3/13 at 3:25pm
post #14168 of 14509
2.19 was the last firmware revision, really last. Nothing more will be forthcoming. Check the menu Information, the first three numbers should be 219.
post #14169 of 14509
First three numbers are 219 so I guess that's it. Did register my set yesterday and noticed when I was verifying the serial number that the build date for my set was November 2012 so a year ago. When I set the set up Saturday I went ahead and plugged in the Ethernet while I was behind the unit so I don't know if it updated itself or if the firmware was up to date as of the manufacturing date. Still really just enjoying it at the out-of-box factory settings. My personal tendency is to tweak and make things "more better" but in my old age I've learned my previous improvements have not been well advised so I'm trying to resist the temptation to change just for change's sake. smile.gif
post #14170 of 14509
If anyone is in the market for a Elite PRO70x5 in the Boston/NH area, I am moving and selling mine, 6 months old and still under warranty, barely used. PM with any questions.
post #14171 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyk47 View Post

First three numbers are 219 so I guess that's it. Did register my set yesterday and noticed when I was verifying the serial number that the build date for my set was November 2012 so a year ago. When I set the set up Saturday I went ahead and plugged in the Ethernet while I was behind the unit so I don't know if it updated itself or if the firmware was up to date as of the manufacturing date. Still really just enjoying it at the out-of-box factory settings. My personal tendency is to tweak and make things "more better" but in my old age I've learned my previous improvements have not been well advised so I'm trying to resist the temptation to change just for change's sake. smile.gif
Hey, I'm way old and I calibrate mine every other week. Calibration is not an exact science, and the Sharp Elites with the Quattron LEDs present a good challenge. Don't let age keep you from a fascinating hobby biggrin.gif.
post #14172 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision View Post

*R.I.P. Elite TV Website and Online Support,

Sad to see it go, we all knew it was going to happen sooner or later... mad.gif

http://elitelcdtv.com

Noticed this a couple of weeks ago. I would also check just to see if the site was still up from time to time. I too am a bit saddened to see it go.
post #14173 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post

Hey, I'm way old and I calibrate mine every other week. Calibration is not an exact science, and the Sharp Elites with the Quattron LEDs present a good challenge. Don't let age keep you from a fascinating hobby biggrin.gif.

Not quite sure I'll ever want to calibrate any TV every other week but I'm also not saying I won't tweak my new Elite eventually. Right now I'm just letting me and it get used to each other. In the meantime I'm researching and looking at upgrading the surround sound system in my theater. For lack of better words what I call the "sound picture" is almost important to me as the picture quality. Without going to the expense of a total remodel of our theater space, really a generic general purpose media room, or over the top with speakers, receivers, amps, etc., I try to maximize the viewing/listening experience. My basically 15 year old Boston Acoustics speaking setup system works fine and I'm just checking to see if I can do better without spending my whole retirement. rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif
post #14174 of 14509
Well, you're certainly going about it the right way. You definitely want to get familiar with the critter before you start futzing with it and you'll get much more out of it. I've had mine for close to two years now, so we've become good buddies smile.gif.
post #14175 of 14509
wow, I was just looking at these and noticed that they're not available. wtf happened?
post #14176 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

Noticed this a couple of weeks ago. I would also check just to see if the site was still up from time to time. I too am a bit saddened to see it go.
Hell, they don't even acknowledge the critter ever existed in their web site. Huh?
post #14177 of 14509
I am having an issue with Pro 60 and yellow tint especially noticeable on skin tones. The calibrator thought everything was ok but it always seem like to much yellow to me but since I have had a number of people ask me why the skin tones look so yellow. Oddly enough there is some material that looked good but most have yellow skin tones.. It doesn't matter what the source is Directv, Bluray, or Xbox.

Has anyone else had this problem?
post #14178 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBRSteve View Post

I am having an issue with Pro 60 and yellow tint especially noticeable on skin tones. The calibrator thought everything was ok but it always seem like to much yellow to me but since I have had a number of people ask me why the skin tones look so yellow. Oddly enough there is some material that looked good but most have yellow skin tones.. It doesn't matter what the source is Directv, Bluray, or Xbox.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Don't remember anyone bringing it up before. Who did your calibration? If BB that may explain it. If THX was not calibrated, switch to that an do a search on this thread for some settings you could try.
post #14179 of 14509
I'll have to say I was surprised that Sharp had dropped the Elite line and even more surprised that they totally ignore, based on lack of information on Sharp's website, that the sets even exist. As I mentioned above I had gone to look at potentially upgrading my AV receiver when I saw the Elite on sale. I hadn't done any of my typical research on TVs but I knew the Elite from having previously looking at it. The $3K price reduction was more than I could resist and I bought without thinking much about why they were discounting the set that much. It never crossed my mind that it was more than just a discontinued model and was actually a total dropping of the line and name. In hindsight I guess I wish knew, or should have known, that but I can't say that would have kept me from purchasing it. It is one heck of a set and five days into ownership we're loving it. Luckily the store threw in their protection plan, which I typically don't get, so if something seriously goes wrong with the set, Sharp's support or lack of support notwithstanding, I have that as a back up. Having gotten that on a previous Samsung set that went south on me and having them just go to the back and bring out a NIB replacement without any hassles gives me some comfort. As to why Sharp dropped the line, beats me. The economy? Technology? 4K? OLED? All of the above?
post #14180 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

Don't remember anyone bringing it up before. Who did your calibration? If BB that may explain it. If THX was not calibrated, switch to that an do a search on this thread for some settings you could try.

My first Aug11 set had that exact issue. No matter how I calibrated the set, the heavily yellow-tinted skin tones is very apparent under certain circumstances. On my second and third sets, no issues after calibration.
post #14181 of 14509
Well I am back in the club. I went through a few sets after the initial Elite I had along with the BB disaster open box. I found a seller that still had a new one left. Just set it up today. Honestly I should have kept my original one that I got new a couple of months ago because all three sets have had banding of some sort. I know there are clean ones out there but they seem to be few and far between. I also agree for the money that these sets should be immaculate. So far this one is pretty much like my first one.There is some banding that I noticed on Wall E during the panning from left to right. That disk is a good torture test for banding during the beginning scenes where it is really light on the screen. I'm going to just try to not let it bug me to much because nothing will be perfect and every set I have had or seen since the Elite has had banding (Sony 4K sets, demo Sony 950, Sony W900, etc). Also out of all of those sets, none were close to the Elite to me. The Sony 950 was very nice but the blooming was quite a bit worse compared to the Elite and the vertical banding was actually way more pronounced.

I think the BB open box Nov 2012 build was the cleanest of the 3 though with regards to DSE/Vertical banding that I had. My new one is a Nov 2012 build also which worries me a bit but hopefully it holds up. My first one was an Aug 2011 build and the vertical banding looks about the same as that one (at least from what I can remember). I just couldn't stand the dark corners/sides of other sets I tried along with the excessive flashlighting/clouding. I guess you have to pick your poison.
Edited by YOTR - 11/9/13 at 11:53am
post #14182 of 14509
I have never had any sort of banding issues, not even remotely, and I am familiar with the problem because my previous LG set had it and my reason for seeking something else. I see some DSE occasionally but it's in the source material. I do have some slight lack of uniformity in the upper left which is noticeably only occasionally on a blue moon like the pulsing. Nothing is perfect, but this set is 99.9% there. The PQ always gets me a big grin. Mine's a Sept 11 build.
post #14183 of 14509
Anyone here have their set calibrated by LionAV? Gregg is supposed to be coming to calibrate mine the week before Turkey day.
post #14184 of 14509
Ur very lucky. Lion av and Gregg in particular are very good. Post back and give us Ur impressions. Best, jeff
post #14185 of 14509
That's good to know. Thanks, I will.
post #14186 of 14509
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

Well I am back in the club. I went through a few sets after the initial Elite I had along with the BB disaster open box. I found a seller that still had a new one left. Just set it up today. Honestly I should have kept my original one that I got new a couple of months ago because all three sets have had banding of some sort. I know there are clean ones out there but they seem to be few and far between. I also agree for the money that these sets should be immaculate. So far this one is pretty much like my first one.There is some banding that I noticed on Wall E during the panning from left to right. That disk is a good torture test for banding during the beginning scenes where it is really light on the screen. I'm going to just try to not let it bug me to much because nothing will be perfect and every set I have had or seen since the Elite has had banding (Sony 4K sets, demo Sony 950, Sony W900, etc). Also out of all of those sets, none were close to the Elite to me. The Sony 950 was very nice but the blooming was quite a bit worse compared to the Elite and the vertical banding was actually way more pronounced.

I think the BB open box Nov 2012 build was the cleanest of the 3 though with regards to DSE/Vertical banding that I had. My new one is a Nov 2012 build also which worries me a bit but hopefully it holds up. My first one was an Aug 2011 build and the vertical banding looks about the same as that one (at least from what I can remember). I just couldn't stand the dark corners/sides of other sets I tried along with the excessive flashlighting/clouding. I guess you have to pick your poison.

Congratulations and welcome back to the elite club. wink.gif

Still think this is the best display on the market, that is until OLED comes out with a 70" + or larger 4k display (not curved). biggrin.gif
post #14187 of 14509
Didn't they make a movie about that? Trouble With the Curve?
post #14188 of 14509
If anyone is interested I have a 70x5 and a 60x5 for sale. The 70x5 comes with manual and hard back case for the manual, a brand new remote and 2 brand new sets of 3d glasses.
The 60x5 has the original box, manual with hard back case for manual, remote and 2 sets of 3d glasses that have not been used. I also have a 2 year transferable Sharp extended warranty for the 60x5 that is transferable.
This 60x5 has right around 65 hours on it. There is nothing wrong with either display, some changes in my life have happened and I wont be moving to Colorado like I had planned on.
I bought both of these since my plasma displays would not work in the elevation we were going to move to.

I am selling these dirt cheap, cheaper than any price that has been posted on the Elite prices page on the forum. PM me for details. I live in Washington State and can deliver to Portland area as well.

Forgot to mention I have the stands and screws for both the 70x5 and the 60x5
Edited by baron2 - 11/12/13 at 2:39pm
post #14189 of 14509

Hey can someone let me know how to check hours on these TVs? I am going to check one out at a local Best Buy

post #14190 of 14509

well I managed to pick up an Elite from my local best buy, sitting in the guest room right now as my living room is not ready yet

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread