or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread - Page 265

post #7921 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by galvin View Post

I am considering purchasing one of these TVs. In the brief look I have taken at this thread, I have seen the following issues enumerated:
  • Cyan color bug
  • Backlight pulsing in certain situations

I see that Sharp released a new firmware revision last week to address the backlight issue. Is that now resolved?

Are there other issues?

Thanks for your help.

After reading most of the thousands of posts on the Elite, I inferred that the vast majority of the ACTUAL OWNERS are happy with picture quality. I joined that vast majority a couple of weeks ago. Come on in; the water's fine.
post #7922 of 14509
Rogo,
Thanx for your input and insight. I think you have gone as far as you can to give us a clue how you came about your opinions. As a former military officer with TS & BS clearances, I do not want you to tell me your sources and then have to kill me.
Richard
post #7923 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Was it cyan to be pulsed ?

I so wanted to post this yesterday for April Fools, but based on past experience in this thread some people can't take a joke so I didn't, but it was along this line:
-new firmware update available:
--fixes the cyan issue, but only fixes it if you can see it
--enhanced flicker/pulsing for when viewing the yule tide log channel
--return/exchange counter added
--Kuro mode added to allow direct Kuro/Elite comparison with the press of a single button
--Avsforum web app added; owner's forum thread only viewable by owners

post #7924 of 14509
Does anyone happen to know if there's a way to flip the left and right frames for side-by-side 3D?

I'm trying to watch a demo disc I got, and it seems that the left and right frames are the opposite of what they should be.
post #7925 of 14509
Hey guys,

Was doing some measuring tonight in prep of wall mount a week from Wednesday and my audio/video cabinet with center channel speaker is about 34 inches high from floor to top of my center (my center is fairly large at about 11.5 inches in height). I will go with about two inches above my center on the wall and that will put the display bottom at about 36 inches from floor to bezel.

Those who have wall mounted does this sound about average? I hope it won't seem too high and I will be sitting fairly close as I have a fairly small room and will be maybe 9 to 10 feet back. Is this a fair distance to try 3D? I went and ordered a 3D compatible player tonight as I will want to try it..

Thanks
Rick
post #7926 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by frottage View Post

I returned my Elite...to the on position when I got home today. I'm sure I'm in the majority

This post is a good reason why AVS could use a "Like" button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in SF View Post

Rogo,
Thanx for your input and insight. I think you have gone as far as you can to give us a clue how you came about your opinions. As a former military officer with TS & BS clearances, I do not want you to tell me your sources and then have to kill me.
Richard

I have taken a vow of forum non-violence.

Oh, and for everyone with kind words, thanks.
post #7927 of 14509
Just wanted to let everyone know you can add me to the list of people who have never had a pulsing issue in thx mode (if its there I have never seen it and am very very aware of it in other modes) and have only noticed the color issue on those same darn blocks as ken, cause he pointed it out. 100% Happy with my 70X5FD!
post #7928 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek_r View Post

Does anyone happen to know if there's a way to flip the left and right frames for side-by-side 3D?

I'm trying to watch a demo disc I got, and it seems that the left and right frames are the opposite of what they should be.

I suppose you could stand on your head.
post #7929 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

This post is a good reason why AVS could use a "Like" button.

coming soon with new forum upgrade
post #7930 of 14509
For those who are interested, the famous Kevin Miller will be coming to Orlando from May 3 to May 6. Elite owners take note this is the time to have Kevin work his magic. He will also of course be available to ISF other brands as well. Please pm me for more details
post #7931 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

I suppose you could stand on your head.

I'll take that as a no...
Looks like I might have to invest in some other 3D content - I just got this demo disc for free and wanted to check out the 3D before having to go out and buy some 3D movies (I'm leaning towards not - 3D has always seemed gimmicky to me.)
post #7932 of 14509
Derek,
There are multiple 3D formats. That disc may be in an old or incompatible format. While looking at the screen without glasses, my cable provider gives me side by side and one pic on top of the other. BluRays show as "fuzzy" w.o. glasses.
Get another test disc. The Elite shows a great 3D image; however broadcast is not as good as disc.
post #7933 of 14509
My 70 inch elite is perfect as well. Chad B calibrated it and it's gorgeous. So happy I bought when I did and have enjoyed it since September I think.

I never post. I love my elite and do not care what other people think about it. And I bet there are plenty of people like me that are very happy and never post.
post #7934 of 14509
Rick,

I don't know my exact measurements but I use a Salamander Synergy audio/video rack (three 'squares' next to one another) with an M&K S150 center channel which is something like 12" high. My 60" Elite is mounted about an inch above the center channel and I very much like the height - although I don't think I'd go any higher. Also, I sit eight feet back from the display and find it absolutely perfect. Hope this helps!
post #7935 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus Rex View Post

My 70 inch elite is perfect as well. Chad B calibrated it and it's gorgeous.

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included a link to it in the flat panel (post #2) list that's linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post.

Enjoy.
post #7936 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

coming soon with new forum upgrade

I'm trying to "Like" this post!
post #7937 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

coming soon with new forum upgrade

Will there be a Dis-Like button as well ?
post #7938 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Will there be a Dis-Like button as well ?

I don't think so
post #7939 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in SF View Post

Derek,
There are multiple 3D formats. That disc may be in an old or incompatible format. While looking at the screen without glasses, my cable provider gives me side by side and one pic on top of the other. BluRays show as "fuzzy" w.o. glasses.
Get another test disc. The Elite shows a great 3D image; however broadcast is not as good as disc.

Richard,

I know the clips on the disc which are just some movie trailers, that were formatted as side-by-side and I need to set the TV itself to side-by-side 3D to get it to try and combine the frames, however it was put together as a 3D test disc some time ago, so it's probable that it isn't in the standard layout expected (as my viewing seems to indicate.)

Do you have any recommendations on other test discs, or even movies to try out? I've seen more heavily encoded 3D sources on other TVs and it seems to mess with the 3D effect, so I can see how broadcast would be bad for that - I'd like to get Blu-ray sources if possible.
post #7940 of 14509
I promised to report back on pulsing and it's definitely still there for me. It is reduced - I would say by maybe 50-60%, so it's still a very welcome improvement. And yes, this is in thx mode with local dimming on. IVC low seems to do away with most of the rest of the pulsing, but it really is too bright the way I have it now.

I would still buy the set with no hesitation, but it is inaccurate to say that the pulsing has been solved. It has, however, been greatly reduced with this last FW update.
post #7941 of 14509
Derek,
Most of us here are fairly adult, but most 3D material seems somewhat juvenile. Cartoons tend to have good 3D effects. Get something from ebay. Tin Tin had good 3D in the theater. Ratatuille (sp?) was a good, adult cartoon that has been released in 3D. I found Captain America a good demo disc that was fairly cheap. I got a Sammy Imax demo disc that was good, but very fussy to play.
Good luck,
R
post #7942 of 14509
Just wondering if anyone here has owned a Sony Qualia 06 in the past and could compare the Qualia to the Sharp Elite 70X5? That was my standard benchmark for some time and just curious how the two compare.
post #7943 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Will there be a Dis-Like button as well ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

I don't think so

Ahh Gee !
I was hoping for BS button ,
That would have been very helpful on this thread (J/K-ing)
post #7944 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post

Hey guys,

Was doing some measuring tonight in prep of wall mount a week from Wednesday and my audio/video cabinet with center channel speaker is about 34 inches high from floor to top of my center (my center is fairly large at about 11.5 inches in height). I will go with about two inches above my center on the wall and that will put the display bottom at about 36 inches from floor to bezel.

Those who have wall mounted does this sound about average? I hope it won't seem too high and I will be sitting fairly close as I have a fairly small room and will be maybe 9 to 10 feet back. Is this a fair distance to try 3D? I went and ordered a 3D compatible player tonight as I will want to try it..

Thanks
Rick

Rick,
My Salamander is 24.5 high and my center is 9.25 high so from floor to top of center channel I'm 33.75. My 70" sits with the bottom bezel approx. 1/2 inch above the center. Primary sitting position is 13.5 feet and we love it.
Enjoy,
Jim
post #7945 of 14509
I am assuming this forum runs on vBulletin? If so, there is no reason why individual posts cannot have a "like" and "dislike" button. Current implementations of vBulletin on other sites have thumbs-up and thumbs-down buttons available to readers of individual posts. Perhaps it was an intentional decision by AVS Forum to not provide these options?

I would encourage AVS to provide all of the features available and not try to limit what is available to members.
post #7946 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in SF View Post

After reading most of the thousands of posts on the Elite, I inferred that the vast majority of the ACTUAL OWNERS are happy with picture quality. I joined that vast majority a couple of weeks ago. Come on in; the water's fine.

Very true. I would say for every complaint on any unit, there are about 98 happy people Watch on.......
post #7947 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Very true. I would say for every complaint on any unit, there are about 98 happy people Watch on.......

I've had my Elite 70 for many months now and am as happy with it (if not more so) than my previous Kuro Elite plasma, which I said I'd never get rid of..

Unfortunately there will be those who got a bad set, or it just didn't appeal to their perception of what a quality display is, or maybe they are plain happy with that Costco Vizio.. but hey- to each their own.
post #7948 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_lewis View Post

... or maybe they are plain happy with that Costco Vizio.. but hey- to each their own.

Just have a good friend ask you which of two Vizio models they should pick. That takes more skill than I have.
post #7949 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Just have a good friend ask you which of two Vizio models they should pick. That takes more skill than I have.

That is slam dunk simple- tell person to stand in front of both models, point at one and go 'eenie meenie miney moe...' back and forth between the two- whichever one they end up on on is the correct model.
post #7950 of 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek_r View Post

I'll take that as a no...
Looks like I might have to invest in some other 3D content - I just got this demo disc for free and wanted to check out the 3D before having to go out and buy some 3D movies (I'm leaning towards not - 3D has always seemed gimmicky to me.)

There are gimmicky movies and movies where 3D doesn't add much ("Coraline", "Beauty and the Beast"), but there are some where the experience transforms the movie. "Adventures of TinTin" is a blast in 3D, but kind of dull in 2D, and "Hugo" wouldn't be the same artistically in 2D.

I now think that 3D movies are to your eyes what surround sound is to your ears, especially now that directors are learning how to make great 3D movies!

Incidentally, I can't wait for "Avatar 3D" Blu-ray to be offered apart from Panasonic equipment, but I couldn't care less about "Star Wars" and "Titanic" 3D remakes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread