or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PopBox V8 By Syabas - Page 4

post #91 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 6 Pack View Post

So would you recommend getting this over the Popbox? This is more expensive and not scheduled to come to America yet so would it make sense to wait (indefinitely) or just go ahead and buy the cheaper Popbox now?

It does not make sense currently in the states given the price you would have to pay up for. After i wrap up fthe v8 review i will finally do my review on the original popbox, so that may make for a good comparison base
post #92 of 138
Sweet. You are my personal Jesus. ( = I will be waiting for the Popbox review and make my decision then since it looks like the whole XBMC sigma thing is a pipe dream and Boxee can't get their stuff together.
post #93 of 138
In the US wouldn't it make more sense to get an A210? Or is the A210 still more expensive than the PBV8?
post #94 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

In the US wouldn't it make more sense to get an A210? Or is the A210 still more expensive than the PBV8?

A210 would make more sense based on price against the v8 (unless the v8 is released in the US at the same price point as the current PB)
post #95 of 138
I currently own an A.C. Ryan Playon!HD Mini 2 and it's quite alright, my only gripe is the overall speed. Is it worth switching to the Popbox V8? What do you think?
post #96 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel.esz View Post

I currently own an A.C. Ryan Playon!HD Mini 2 and it's quite alright, my only gripe is the overall speed. Is it worth switching to the Popbox V8? What do you think?

I honestly have never used an AC Ryan so I cannot comment. I prefer Sigma over Realtek currently. I do plan on picking up a Mede8er for testing in the next few weeks, and who knows if the mythical Xtreamer Prodigy ever emerges...
post #97 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

I honestly have never used an AC Ryan so I cannot comment. I prefer Sigma over Realtek currently. I do plan on picking up a Mede8er for testing in the next few weeks, and who knows if the mythical Xtreamer Prodigy ever emerges...

Thanks for the quick response
I understand that you cannot compare it to the AC Ryan but can you still give me your thoughts on the speed of the Popbox V8? How responsive is the UI?
I'm eagerly waiting for the full review
post #98 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel.esz View Post

Thanks for the quick response
I understand that you cannot compare it to the AC Ryan but can you still give me your thoughts on the speed of the Popbox V8? How responsive is the UI?
I'm eagerly waiting for the full review

So far I find it very responsive. For example it is quicker to navigate through the file browser then with the PCH (SMP8642). Using YAMJ/Eversion it is a little slower due to the load times on the posters/art

As far as the review, I have some open points with Syabas that I want to clear up first, and then I will be putting the review together.
post #99 of 138
post #100 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by cHarOn99 View Post

daniel.esz you watched the youtube videos?

I did, yes. They're quite convincing
post #101 of 138
Hopefully you will do a review of the Mede8er MED500X2 as well since I really like your reviews. They are some of the most comprehensive and informative reviews out there and have helped me make the decision to upgrade from the WDTV Live I used to use to the Boxee Box which I have been enjoying despite some of its obvious failings. I hope to make my next purchase decision based on the results of what you find in testing out these players.
post #102 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 6 Pack View Post

Hopefully you will do a review of the Mede8er MED500X2 as well since I really like your reviews. They are some of the most comprehensive and informative reviews out there and have helped me make the decision to upgrade from the WDTV Live I used to use to the Boxee Box which I have been enjoying despite some of its obvious failings. I hope to make my next purchase decision based on the results of what you find in testing out these players.

You bet. Popbox v8 review will be up Monday or Tuesday, just need to review the photos I took and give it the weekend in case any more fw updates roll through.

After that I will try to crank out my Popbox original review and after that the Mede8er (which looks like it should arrive today ). Oh yeah, and somewhere in between there I have to work 60 hour work weeks and play dad to two young boys haha
post #103 of 138
I don't know how you do it but damn if I don't appreciate it.
post #104 of 138
I am looking forward to your review of the V8 and the Mede8er as well.
Thank you very much!
post #105 of 138
post #106 of 138
Thanks much! Great review as usual. Between the A-300 and v8, I'd be fine w/v8. Hope Syabas releases it here at v1's price point.
post #107 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Thanks much! Great review as usual. Between the A-300 and v8, I'd be fine w/v8. Hope Syabas releases it here at v1's price point.

What is this A-300? Any info anywhere?
post #108 of 138
It's the successor to A-200/A-210 Syabas announced today.
post #109 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post


What is this A-300? Any info anywhere?

You not following me on twitter
post #110 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Thanks much! Great review as usual. Between the A-300 and v8, I'd be fine w/v8. Hope Syabas releases it here at v1's price point.

The fact that the eversion/yamj experience is available for both does make the v8 compelling if it does come to the us at the current popbox pricepoint
post #111 of 138
Exactly. Besides the user-built AirPlay app, I can't think of any worthwhile community apps for PCH.
post #112 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

You not following me on twitter

Stayed away from Twitter for a day, and this is what I ended up with! Been quite busy all day and catching up on all the tweets now.. there was another streamer writeup that I had to get ready for tomorrow morning, and I was mostly offline
post #113 of 138
Popbox V8 owners, are you still happy with your media player? I'm in the market for a media hub, but not sure if I want to go this route or build a HTPC. Can the Popbox handle 8-12gb blu-ray rips with subtitles running? I'm finding the price tag, interface, easy access to allsubs.org, and remote very attractive. But I'm not sure if it can handle my demands for video.
post #114 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyde01 View Post

Popbox V8 owners, are you still happy with your media player? I'm in the market for a media hub, but not sure if I want to go this route or build a HTPC. Can the Popbox handle 8-12gb blu-ray rips with subtitles running? I'm finding the price tag, interface, easy access to allsubs.org, and remote very attractive. But I'm not sure if it can handle my demands for video.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011...iew-popbox-v8/

You can read the above review done by dbone. I don't think the V8 can play BD ISO's though. Other than that it is a pretty solid media player according to dbone / Damian.
post #115 of 138
I am using PB V8 for last few months & I am a happy camper. Although I am a little bummed that I can't run oversight on it as well as other skins like aeon - but that's no deal breaker
post #116 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011...iew-popbox-v8/

You can read the above review done by dbone. I don't think the V8 can play BD ISO's though. Other than that it is a pretty solid media player according to dbone / Damian.

Thanks for the read. I don't have enough bandwidth to steadily download BS ISOs, so I will more than likely stick with rips unless upgrade my internet service. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a v8. Even if it handle handle 8-12gb rips with subtitles for my home theater, I can always relocate it to my bedroom for watching TV shows. Hope everything works out! Either way I'll have a fun, new toy to play with.
post #117 of 138
Yes, it handles blu-ray rips just fine with subs. Also will play BR ISO just not with full menus, bd-lite.
post #118 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymalya View Post

I am using PB V8 for last few months & I am a happy camper. Although I am a little bummed that I can't run oversight on it as well as other skins like aeon - but that's no deal breaker

have you tried evhell 4.0. It is pretty nice.
post #119 of 138
Nope, never heard of it. Let me try it tonight
post #120 of 138
After 5 months waiting time the newest FW does not fix any of the major issues !
> no deep standby (box warm, power intake way over the EU limit)
> no DTS passthrough over optical (while having video via HDMI)
> stuttering, choppy 1080p 60fps playback (camcorder files .mts, .mp4) -sound breaks after 15-60 sec
> high bitrate movies make the box crash randomly or the playback suddenly just breaks (same movie plays with no issues on Samsung/LG smart TV or a Realtek player)
+ other minor issues with subtitles and resuming playback - not fixed.

The newly added stupid Web Apps (or browser) work 5x worse than those embedded in my LG plasma UI and make the V8 freeze after a couple of minutes. What's the point of duplicating Web Apps present in all modern TV's ?!? :@

KISS (Linksys) DP-1600 story has been written all over again ! Same approach to Customers, blaming bugs on Sigma, hopeless Sigma support, EOL product, etc.
Well Sigma will never be so open as Realtek so we could as an ALTERNATIVE firmware written by users.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home