or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony VPL-vw1000 - Page 191

post #5701 of 9687
Hi Mark,
Guess if the upgrade install was an option for the owner to do, Sony Dave would have stated that.
I bought my 1000 from AVS, and I am going for the upgrade also.
If the upcoming 1100 has a lamp that is a bit brighter, I wonder if the 1000 is backward upgradeable?
But I am very happy with the brightness level of the 1000..
I am guessing that with a brighter lamp, that gives you say 2000 lumins, it would be a bit harder to get good blacks?
I have seen projectors with high power lamps that only get a very dark purple instead of black.
I think that it is really super how Sony is taking care of the 1000 owners.
I have bought a lot of Sony products over the years because they are a great product and Sony support after the sale is second to none.
When my VPL HS20 had a lamp failure with low hours on it, the Sony service center replaced the lamp at no charge even though the projector was out of warranty.
My ED Beta players are still on line after many years of trouble free service. Yes, I have replaced the Head drum assy and performed an alignment on them years ago and I still use them occasionally. The Video quality is really great for 480I
Bottom line is that Sony puts out a quality product, and the Service manuals are very well written and leave nothing to guess about.
Thank You Sony!
Edited by BOBCAT - 9/7/13 at 1:56pm
post #5702 of 9687
I don't think the expected sony 1100ES will have a different lamp. My guess will be some revisions to slightly increase light out efficiency.
Edited by mark haflich - 9/7/13 at 12:55pm
post #5703 of 9687
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

The MotionFlow might be improved as well after the upgrade. I am curious to see the menu changes (if it does) after as well.

Hopefully it (MotionFlow ) can be used with UHT/4K input too then ( it cant now ) and sounds like the combi mode ( from the 500ES ) off motionflow and dark frame inserting without any light loss would be nice too


dj
post #5704 of 9687
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Curious Joe, I find the Motionflow works well in almost all situations - where do you see some issues?


It dosnt Work with UHD/4K input, besides that, I agree

dj



BTW. Thrang

The 1000ES biggest issue IMO is this :





dj
post #5705 of 9687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_H View Post

My kit: 15' 2.35:1 Screen Research 4-way screen, Sony vw1000es, Lumagen 2042, Meridian 861/621/7x5500/2xSW5500

Mark,

Do you find the vw1000 bright enough on your 15' screen?

I am in the can't have everything price class, and the relative low cost of the vw1000 vs a good 3 chip DLP is attractive. I was hoping the new version would have more lumens, maybe a 2 bulb version vs the 6 lamps they use in the 515, but it sounds like the upgrade is just electronics.
post #5706 of 9687
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post

It dosnt Work with UHD/4K input, besides that, I agree

dj



BTW. Thrang

The 1000ES biggest issue IMO is this :





dj

What are those? Visible specks? Never have seen that before...did you exchange it?
post #5707 of 9687
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post

Hopefully it (MotionFlow ) can be used with UHT/4K input too then ( it cant now ) and sounds like the combi mode ( from the 500ES ) off motionflow and dark frame inserting without any light loss would be nice too


dj

Agreed, thanks
post #5708 of 9687
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

What are those? Visible specks? Never have seen that before...did you exchange it?

Is that my pic? I had that on my 2nd and 3rd ones....4th one has been good 700 hours so far (knocking on wood)....
post #5709 of 9687
Those are dust blobs Thrang. Had them on my third one as well. Definitely exchange that!
post #5710 of 9687
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

Those are dust blobs Thrang. Had them on my third one as well. Definitely exchange that!


hifiaudio2

Do you know why, its only on the green panel they arrive ? ( or is it because we just cant see them on the blue/red ? - its even hard to discover it on the green on the screen )
post #5711 of 9687
Am I better off getting a new vw or a b stock? Is it a legitimate argument that a b stock is tested by both Sony and avsforum, and therefore both cheaper and less likely to have problems? Or is that just rationalization to save $4k?
post #5712 of 9687
As Mike G recently posted, all B stock projectors are rather thoroughly checked by AV Science sales. The warranty is the same and I would think a B stock is worth the savings. Remember getting the upgrade in a few months will cost you the same for either, MSRP $2500. Call Mike to discuss.
Edited by mark haflich - 9/9/13 at 12:20pm
post #5713 of 9687
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Call Mike to discuss.

I did call mike and his logic (above) made sense. I'm trying to get real world data from folks who may have bought b stocks. We have a ton of people with new projectors and it would appear that the error rate is maybe 10%? Wondering if b stock error rate is lower?
Edited by adanny - 9/9/13 at 8:39pm
post #5714 of 9687
I haven't had any problems reported from customers that bought VW1000 b stock projectors myself. Just FYI.
post #5715 of 9687
One has to understand what B stock is. It is other than a new machine from a manufacturer. It could be a trade show unit (a unit used at a trade show), it could be a traveling representative sample, or it could be a new unit that a customer received that had a problem early in the units life and the manufacturer took it back and gave the customer a new unit. Any B stock unit could also be a B stock due to a cosmetic flaw. Theoretically, and this is a big theoretically, a B stock unit has been restored to as new (or about as new) status. Often a unit is taken back because the customer is paranoid and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it when it gets back to the repair center. Or when the customer turned the unit upside down and shook it violently, he heard a cable wiggle inside. All the unit needed was installation of a wire tie. If there are more than a few hours on the bulb, a new bulb will be installed. But if you think a manufacturer checks out everything and every function, you are dreaming. A reported flaw is fixed, the unit is quickly checked out. It is not prepared like a NASCAR auto is on race day. You are covered because of the full warranty though. Generally, the B stock unit will have the flaw fixed. But not always. A return is poorly communicated and the unit was not repaired because the manufacturer didn't find the problem. Or the manufacturer felt the machine was within specification such as convergence. The customer sought perfection and kept returning units. Probably a B stock unit will not not be working on arrival to a customer while a new unit is perhaps more likely to be dead on arrival. There is no science that can be applied or any survey that will help you. It is basically a crap shoot with you having good odds of winning if you are shooting to get a B and save. And you are covered by a full warranty. I (retired for the most part) and most other industry professional would take a B stock from Sony over a new because of the savings involved. I do not need the new projector smell (joke, you know the new car smell). I recently learned that AV Science is thoroughly checking out each B stock unit it receives from JVC and Sony. Approximately 20% are rejected because they don't pass AV Sciences rigorous and thorough check out. Mike G a few posts after this describes the process. Another great reason to buy from AV Science.
Edited by mark haflich - 9/8/13 at 9:18pm
post #5716 of 9687
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

One has to understand what B stock is. It is other than a new machine from a manufacturer. It could be a trade show unit (a unit used at a trade show), it could be a traveling representative sample, or it could be a new unit that a customer received that had a problem early in the units life and the manufacturer took it back and gave the customer a new unit. Any B stock unit could also be a B stock due to a cosmetic flaw. Theoretically, and this is a big theoretically, a B stock unit has been restored to as new about status. Often a unit is taken back because the customer is paranoid and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it when it get back to the repair center. Or when the customer turn the unit upside down and shook it violently, he heard a cable wiggle in side. All the unit needed was installation of a wire tie. If there are more than a few hours on the bulb, a new bulb will be installed. But if you think a manufacturer checks out everything and every function, you are dreaming. A reported flaw is fixed, the unit is quickly checked out. It is not prepared like a NASCAR auto is on race day. You are covered because of the full warranty though. Generally, the B stock unit will have the flaw fixed. But not always. A return is poorly communicated and the unit was not repaired because the manufacturer didn't find the problem. Or the manufacturer felt the machine was within specification such as convergence. The customer sought perfection and kept returning units. Probably a B stock unit will not not be working on arrival to a customer while a new unit is perhaps more likely to be dead on arrival. There is no science that can be applied or any survey that will help you. It is basically a crap shoot with you having good odds of winning if you are shooting to get a B and save. And you are covered by a full warranty. I (retired for the most part) and most other industry professional would take a B stock from Sony over a new because of the savings involved. I do not need the new projector smell (joke, you know the new car smell).

Mark, this is a great write up for anyone considering b stock or refurb etc.. Not just from sony but I'm sure this applies for most manufactures.
post #5717 of 9687
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Curious Joe, I find the Motionflow works well in almost all situations - where do you see some issues?

I actually really like it for sports and sometimes on low for TV dramas and animated movies. I don't see much room for improvement was just going off what they ar a saying will be improved on or a new generation of MotionFlow.

smile.gif
post #5718 of 9687
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post

Hopefully it (MotionFlow ) can be used with UHT/4K input too then ( it cant now ) and sounds like the combi mode ( from the 500ES ) off motionflow and dark frame inserting without any light loss would be nice too


dj

That reminds me... Let's hope Reality Creation can be used with 4K/60. Fingers crossed. eek.gif
post #5719 of 9687
Isn't RC part of the upscaling to 4K? What you are asking for is a sharpening function for 4K content with noise filtering to counter its artifacts, What I hope to see at Cedia (or hear about in my case of not presently being able to travel) is a new Darbee that will cover 4K sources.
post #5720 of 9687
As it has been mentioned to me.................what is going on with Sony' design team? The FMP-X1 server looks more like it's been specifically prepared by Gary Bettman rather than for those of us planning on rack mounting the thing.

Speaking of hockey pucks...............can't wait to see how Middle Atlantic manufactures a faceplate for this one! rolleyes.gif

So while on the subject of 2.0 compliance.........................I suspect the only work-a-round for FMP-X1 is running a cable to projector and one to processor for audio? Wouldn't it be nice that my recently purchased equipment would pass through all signals with no handshake issues............................yet we all know that's not going to happen. More headaches for 4k.................

I must admit I was very excited with projector upgrade news.................taking a step back I see there are a few hurdles in front of me implementing true 4k into my theater.
post #5721 of 9687
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Isn't RC part of the upscaling to 4K? What you are asking for is a sharpening function for 4K content with noise filtering to counter its artifacts, What I hope to see at Cedia (or hear about in my case of not presently being able to travel) is a new Darbee that will cover 4K sources.

Mark, emails and updates are sent from Darbee occasionally to I assume existing owners and a fairly large group of people. One came around on August 6 with the subject, "Darbee Showing in 4K UHD at Cedia Expo" Here is a copy of the bullet points:


Visit us at the CEDIA EXPO

See Darbee Visual Presence enhance digital video products
Watch a Darbee demonstration with 4K TV
Experience new Darbee Reveal™ technology for security video
Evaluate Darbee Probe™ processing for medical images and video
Hear the BIG announcements and meet the Darbee Team


Maybe with an "eval board" rather than actual physical product?
post #5722 of 9687
I can't find any reviews on the fmp-x1 4k player. Does anyone have any impressions on how the 4k server compares with 1080p content? Any link to some user impressions?
post #5723 of 9687
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Isn't RC part of the upscaling to 4K? What you are asking for is a sharpening function for 4K content with noise filtering to counter its artifacts, What I hope to see at Cedia (or hear about in my case of not presently being able to travel) is a new Darbee that will cover 4K sources.

Exactly. smile.gif
post #5724 of 9687
It does not work on the VW1000 before you get the HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 upgrade so no VW1000 owners have tested it yet. I have seen some material on IFA, but not enough to say anything.
post #5725 of 9687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post

It does not work on the VW1000 before you get the HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 upgrade so no VW1000 owners have tested it yet. I have seen some material on IFA, but not enough to say anything.

Thanks. I understand that it won't work on any projector yet, but where can I find reports and reviews/opinions of pq, even if just on sonys tvs? Seems to be tough to find
post #5726 of 9687
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrash66 View Post

Thanks. I understand that it won't work on any projector yet, but where can I find reports and reviews/opinions of pq, even if just on sonys tvs? Seems to be tough to find
The people with most experience are the ones with Sony 4K TVs.
Look in the LCD flat panels displays section for Sony 4K TVs for discussions about the server.

Here is one of them where you can wade backwards; http://www.avsforum.com/t/1473062/official-sony-x9-xbr-55x900a-xbr-65x900a-owners-thread/1530#post_23714399
post #5727 of 9687
A server is a server and it mostly boils down to the piece of content, how it was compressed, and how the server decompresses it. The initial free stuff that came with the server was pretty low 4K quality except for one title. Now that Sony has launched its 4K down load service better shot and mastered 4K material can be evaluated. However, to properly evaluate 4K content one needs a 4K projector and a screen at least 10 ft wide. Our evaluations will have to await the 1000ES upgrade. Mu thesis that 2K upscaled to 4K and native 4K will look pretty much the same until the screen width exceeds 10 ft wide. This is pretty much based on Jane Kane's experiments with industry film professionals and their ability to see difference in their own material between 2K upscaled to 4K and 4K native
post #5728 of 9687
As an update, today I visited my home theater for the first time in about 8 weeks. Over the last week I received four new Fusion Collection Escape chairs from Ultimate Home Theaters. Really nice. My guys installed today and rehung my 1000ES. I have sufficient ambulatory powers now to go down and up 17 stairs for a RT to and from my HT. Going up is a lot more difficult than going down but still fairly easy for me at this point. Not something I would want to do daily but for Sunday and Monday night football, no problem. Life is getting better. Thanks for everyone's help and well wishes.
post #5729 of 9687
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

A server is a server and it mostly boils down to the piece of content, how it was compressed, and how the server decompresses it. The initial free stuff that came with the server was pretty low 4K quality except for one title. Now that Sony has launched its 4K down load service better shot and mastered 4K material can be evaluated. However, to properly evaluate 4K content one needs a 4K projector and a screen at least 10 ft wide. Our evaluations will have to await the 1000ES upgrade. Mu thesis that 2K upscaled to 4K and native 4K will look pretty much the same until the screen width exceeds 10 ft wide. This is pretty much based on Jane Kane's experiments with industry film professionals and their ability to see difference in their own material between 2K upscaled to 4K and 4K native

For anyone wanting to read Joe Kane's article about why a 10' wide screen is needed check out the widescreen review article. His rationale makes sense.
post #5730 of 9687
Thanks guys. I will wade through those posts. Kinda hard to imagine something visual without seeing it. Mark, have you seen any true 4k on your 1000? Coolscan, have you?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home