Some brief feedback on the 1100 upgrade performed today at my home - took about 1,5 hours, very professional, and the process included backing up and restoring all settings (except network). This apparently is important as there are some internal factory settings particular to each projector.
After the logic board was replaced, I connected the FMP, set it up to pair with the projector, and used the Xperia tablet to browse. I played portions of Total Recall and Battle: Los Angeles, and bits of a few other documentary/msuc titles. So I have a lot more view to do to develop a complete impression, but some early feedback:
- Overall image quality was excellent, though perhaps 20-30% “sharper” than the best Blu Ray (think Oblivion with some more!) I think this is a combination of the higher compression these early titles may be authored with, and the excellent job the 1000 has been doing for us upscaling 1080p to 4 already. We have been, in a word, spoiled!
- Video had no noticeable contouring, banding, or noise
- Color seemed similar to Blu Ray
- There are two HDMI outputs on the FMP, an external hard drive port, gigabit LAN, and power - that’s it. The HDMI output is either audio/video all one port one, or audio on port two for a split a/v setup, which is how most of use will roll (as did I)
- Audio on the two features was PCM 5.1. However, I could not get my McIntosh MX 151 to lock onto the audio stream with three different cables. I then ran the HDMI 2 audio output from the FMP to my Lumagen, which in turn passes audio to the 151, and I had reliable audio. Calls to Sony and McIntosh are forthcoming Monday.
- I had some issues with powering the FMP, and the Sony app would sometimes lose connection with the player in the middle of things. It appears the FMP can be turned on and off via the Xperia app, but this was not always reliable and I needed to hard power cycle the FMP a few times. The app did update the FMP firmware on first use, so I should be using the latest.
- There is no interface from or control of the FMP - all with the tablet as we know
- No Motionflow with 4k, Film Projection mode works
- Didn’t play with RC, just left it at 20/20 for now.
- HDCP upgrade is on HDMI input 2 only on the projector
Getting dog tired now, more this weekend!
(Xperia Tablet)Edited by thrang - 12/7/13 at 6:02am