or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony VPL-vw1000 - Page 265

post #7921 of 9689
Well, this certainly is news. Looks like projector owners will be left out of the Netflix 4k rollout initially. I would think Sony would have said something yesterday if they were upgrading the puck or allowing the PS4 to stream 4K Netflix. But don't worry, it will be built into many 4k TVs, so enjoy your crappy soundbar audio with your 4k.

http://gigaom.com/2014/01/06/netflix-4k-ultra-hd-3d/

So now I have to decide if I am going to put off binge-watching S2 of House of Cards or not.
post #7922 of 9689
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post

Well, this certainly is news. Looks like projector owners will be left out of the Netflix 4k rollout initially. I would think Sony would have said something yesterday if they were upgrading the puck or allowing the PS4 to stream 4K Netflix. But don't worry, it will be built into many 4k TVs, so enjoy your crappy soundbar audio with your 4k.

http://gigaom.com/2014/01/06/netflix-4k-ultra-hd-3d/

So now I have to decide if I am going to put off binge-watching S2 of House of Cards or not.

Why would you say the Sony projector owners are left out? The 4k trailer is not viewable with any player right now...

I doubt Sony would add netflix to the FMP - the puck is a short-lived device I suspect.

Maybe Nuvola to the rescue?
post #7923 of 9689
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Why would you say the Sony projector owners are left out? The 4k trailer is not viewable with any player right now...

Because the support for Netflix streaming is going to be built in to many TVs that were announced yesterday. So no external way to provide the content...almost seems like an artificial limitation as a perk for early adopters of 2014 UHD TVs. I bet it is only 24/30fps and it could be piped through the PS4 if they wanted to allow it, for example.
post #7924 of 9689
in the netflix announcement, it sounds like they are waiting for the TV's to get updated:

That is poised to change due to the partnership with the aforementioned TV manufacturers. They will all add hardware H.265 HEVC video decoding capabilities to their new TV sets, many of which should be available in the next few months.

this is confusing, why wait for the TV's to support the codec, don't they still have standalone hardware boxes that can do the decoding?
post #7925 of 9689
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post

Because the support for Netflix streaming is going to be built in to many TVs that were announced yesterday. So no external way to provide the content...almost seems like an artificial limitation as a perk for early adopters of 2014 UHD TVs. I bet it is only 24/30fps and it could be piped through the PS4 if they wanted to allow it, for example.

Unless I missed it, I'm sure it will be in any 4k Netflix player as they roll out...yes, PS4, future ATV roku...wonder if the OPPO could accept his type of stream with an upgraded app....

Mark, is Netflix on the Nuvola? Or on the roadmap? What exactly can you play on that mysterious device?
post #7926 of 9689
What makes you so sure? PS4 came out 3 months ago, but no announcement about any upgraded app for that? Why wouldn't there be a fight over the exclusive 4k rollout with Microsoft vs. Sony? The fact no new-gen gaming console support was announced for Netflix 4k is puzzling and disturbing...not so much on devices that may or may not be in the pipeline like a 4k ATV or Roku, which is hardly a given considering the price-point competition on those devices.

Nuvola? Please...(eye-roll)
post #7927 of 9689
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post

What makes you so sure? PS4 came out 3 months ago, but no announcement about any upgraded app for that? Why wouldn't there be a fight over the exclusive 4k rollout with Microsoft vs. Sony? The fact no new-gen gaming console support was announced for Netflix 4k is puzzling and disturbing...not so much on devices that may or may not be in the pipeline like a 4k ATV or Roku, which is hardly a given considering the price-point competition on those devices.

Nuvola? Please...(eye-roll)

I agree there could be some short term exclusives, but soon enough it has to sort out. Wide availability of 4k content is essential for (hopefully) wide adoption of 4k sets (as is sitting 4 feet away from a 65" set to actually see the difference)

Joe Kane is probably right - wider color gamut and dynamic range and less compression of 1080p would likely have made more of a visual impact than 4k for most. But to stream that likely is a bandwidth issue..
post #7928 of 9689
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

I agree there could be some short term exclusives, but soon enough it has to sort out. Wide availability of 4k content is essential for (hopefully) wide adoption of 4k sets (as is sitting 4 feet away from a 65" set to actually see the difference)

Joe Kane is probably right - wider color gamut and dynamic range and less compression of 1080p would likely have made more of a visual impact than 4k for most. But to stream that likely is a bandwidth issue..

Well maybe it will be sorted out before they start pushing 8k, which probably will get the other improvements that should have been in HDMI 2.x. We've had the projectors for 2 years. The gaming devices and PCs could have been pushing 4k content as soon as Netflix or YouTube was ready. Which my guess is could have been 6 months ago, if not more.

And the other thing about streaming content like this--it would be an ideal stop-gap until physical content comes out. When I watch a Netflix/YouTube stream I'm not sitting here wishing I could have bought physical media instead, well, because I don't make individual payments for that content.
post #7929 of 9689
I called Nuvola yesterday. Basically, they didn't answer the phone. I expect most of them were at Cedia. I have not received a unit yet. They call be swiping your card and shipping. I need to figure out exactly what I am going to do re the audio. Also these units are going to be distributed through Ingrahm which means I will be able to buy them as a dealer. So I am going to wait a bit on this especially given the $899 cost of the preloaded with windows and the only model with audio out other than through a lone HDMI.
Edited by mark haflich - 1/7/14 at 10:57am
post #7930 of 9689
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post


Unless I missed it, I'm sure it will be in any 4k Netflix player as they roll out...yes, PS4, future ATV roku...wonder if the OPPO could accept his type of stream with an upgraded app....

Mark, is Netflix on the Nuvola? Or on the roadmap? What exactly can you play on that mysterious device?

 

I was wondering the same...  So I took a look at the Nuvola site.  Nuvola lists the usual preinstalled apps and some obscure others:

 

VIDEO

  • Nanotech Video Player
  • Netflix
  • Hulu
  • Amazon Prime
  • YouTube
  • IMDb
  • Fun Little Movies
  • XBMC
  • VodWiz
  • Nano Tales

 

SOCIAL

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram

 

COMMUNICATION

  • Skype

 

AUDIO

  • Pandora
  • iHeartRadio

 

There is also a list of games, Angry Bird, etc.  What they don't say is whether or not the Apps are 4K.

 

And, they say there are, "Bundled Movies: Access to 10 Streaming Movies free of charge on the NanoFlix UltraHD Network", but they give no information about this.  Some Googling would suggest that NanoFlix UHD is a studio without content at this point.

post #7931 of 9689
Everything I can tell about the Nuvola is that it's nothing more than a mini-PC with Android and apps. Apparently, there's also a Windows version for more money (to cover the s/w license). Since it's using apps, they likely include one to access and play their NanoFlix UHD content, whatever that is. It's a streaming device, same as any other PC on a network really. Actually, not much different that a PS3, PS4, etc., but without the gaming support or optical reader. And if it is an app, there's no reason that it couldn't play or be ported to support additional hardware except they want to drive sales of their box. No different than the need to use an Xperia tablet with the puck.

You could probably start with this similar Intel NCU, add Windows, memory, and a SSD and get similar results. Probably better hardware too for less (or wait for a NCU with HDMI 2.0 down the road). However, the Nuvola is geared toward the masses that don't have the time or patience to mess with a computer. So, they'll buy a cube instead and get sold on the "4K UHD" support logo. Ugh. As we know, HDMI 1.4 supports 4K, so this is nothing special really. Just be sure you know what you're buying before hitting enter with your payment.

The way I see it, this device is nothing ground-breaking and it's success will ultimately be based on it's support, ability to be upgraded, and (mainly) the UHD content. Show me more concerning the later and then we'll talk.
Edited by stevenjw - 1/7/14 at 10:55am
post #7932 of 9689
Posted on the HD Guru web site today from CES

" Perhaps most interesting is the content, an issue with all Ultra HD TVs. Sony is continuing to expand their Video Unlimited 4K download service, launched last September. Right now there are 140 movies and TV shows. It’s only available if you have their Ultra HD Media Player and a Sony television.

Netflix has promised 4K streaming content this year, and Sony is claiming their 4K TVs “have been optimized to support 4K Ultra HD content streaming from Netflix.” We’ll be interested to see how this content looks. "

Anybody know where the 140 movies and T shows are hiding. Certainly not on the Sony 4K HD Unlimited site

And

Sony announced today a short throw 4k projector priced at $30 K that will fill a 147" screen
post #7933 of 9689
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

A lot about cameras too. No projectprs because nothing new at this time. And the world (consumer) doesn't care about projectors.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/01/07/sony-ceo-ces/4355871/
Quote:
Sony CEO Kazuo Hirai also showed off a device called the Ultra Short Throw Projector, which projects 4K ultra high definition video on a large scale onto walls. This will be available for sale in summer 2014, he said.

What was that Mark?
post #7934 of 9689
I guess I missed that really big news. Really big news. Sorry. Hope my erroneous report didn't hurt anyone.

Turls. Please send me the throw ratios for the new short throw lens. Thanks

The present lens closest throw is about 1.27. Most screens require a minimum throw of about 1.3. I suspect the new lens will be for rear projection but I don't know.

This changes the CES 2014 4K projector story from nothing to err nothing.
post #7935 of 9689
Quote:
Sony CEO Kazuo Hirai also showed off a device called the Ultra Short Throw Projector, which projects 4K ultra high definition video on a large scale onto walls. This will be available for sale in summer 2014, he said.

$30K, is that right?
post #7936 of 9689
The new VPL-vw1100ES is $28K MSRP. So $30K doesn't seem out of line. Maybe its a box that hangs on a wall like a painting lamp and projects a large 4K projector. several models from other than sony already do that with 1080p chips. I'll be saving my pennies and eating beans. Maybe a power buy? Need to build me a wall 147 inches wide with a power socket up high and an hdmi feed. No audio I gather so maybe I need to perf the wall.
post #7937 of 9689
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

This changes the CES 2014 4K projector story from nothing to err nothing.

But its LED...


(j/k)
post #7938 of 9689
Thanks. I didn't know that. I need to research this product more. Shame its no laser. Some small vibrators planted into the wall to solve speckle issues.

Found it. Its floor mounted and includes two speakers and the cabinet has space for equipment. Pricing not yet set. Between $30K and $40K LED light source.
Edited by mark haflich - 1/7/14 at 2:55pm
post #7939 of 9689
My upgrade kit is in the mail (or at least the UPS truck) for delivery on Thursday. Apparently, I can schedule the upgrade appointment once I receive the kit. I'll keep you posted on the timeframe for the appointment. I'm in NC. I appreciate everyone working so hard to keep my expectations low, but I'm easily amused and hopefully will enjoy a new feature for my toy.

Any thoughts on the following:

I have one HDMI and several CAT 6 cables ran from the equipment closet to the projector. My Classe CT-SSP will not pass 4K, so I need a solution for either 1) 4K video switching or 2K) getting a second video stream to feed the projector's other HDMI port, which I think it has. If I go with option 2), I plan on using my existing HDMI for the 4K. Should I go with a balun setup or something wireless like the DVDO Air out of processor for the soon to be substandard (un-ultra) HD.

On a networking note, everything in my equipment room is wireless, but I believe the projector and 4K puck need to be plugged into a router. I have an airport extreme and a couple of expresses right now that seem to work very well. It really doesn't make sense to put the cable modem and the extreme in the equipment room, since it is in a far corner of the house. Thoughts?
post #7940 of 9689
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Thanks. I didn't know that. I need to research this product more. Shame its no laser. Some small vibrators planted into the wall to solve speckle issues.

Found it. Its floor mounted and includes two speakers and the cabinet has space for equipment. Pricing not yet set. Between $30K and $40K LED light source.

Actually it seems to be laser..
http://www.sony.net/Products/4k-ultra-short-throw/
post #7941 of 9689
A laser diode. Probably like their laser lite phosphor business class projector source of illumination.. Amazing. What's next? A phone in a watch?
post #7942 of 9689
Just for the diod Do you think this could not be at usual projectors level?
I suppose other factors should be taken into consideration..
But I am not an expert... So just supposing...

Anybody at ces has seen it?
post #7943 of 9689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Withrow View Post

My upgrade kit is in the mail (or at least the UPS truck) for delivery on Thursday. Apparently, I can schedule the upgrade appointment once I receive the kit. I'll keep you posted on the timeframe for the appointment. I'm in NC. I appreciate everyone working so hard to keep my expectations low, but I'm easily amused and hopefully will enjoy a new feature for my toy.

Any thoughts on the following:

I have one HDMI and several CAT 6 cables ran from the equipment closet to the projector. My Classe CT-SSP will not pass 4K, so I need a solution for either 1) 4K video switching or 2K) getting a second video stream to feed the projector's other HDMI port, which I think it has. If I go with option 2), I plan on using my existing HDMI for the 4K. Should I go with a balun setup or something wireless like the DVDO Air out of processor for the soon to be substandard (un-ultra) HD.

On a networking note, everything in my equipment room is wireless, but I believe the projector and 4K puck need to be plugged into a router. I have an airport extreme and a couple of expresses right now that seem to work very well. It really doesn't make sense to put the cable modem and the extreme in the equipment room, since it is in a far corner of the house. Thoughts?

You need to ensure the the puck's HDCP is not impeded. So a direct connection to HDMI 2 on the projector is prob your best bet.

That is incorrect re the projector also needing to be connected to the internet. I thought the same too based on reports initially. The puck and the tablet must share the same network router and internet connection though. The puck should run via a Wireless extender with a LAN port if need be. A PoE adapter is the next best solution next to hardwired LAN though.
Edited by OzHDHT - 1/7/14 at 8:06pm
post #7944 of 9689
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

You need to ensure the the puck's HDCP is not impeded. So a direct connection to HDMI 2 on the projectors is prob your best bet.

That is incorrect re the projector also needing to be connected to the internet. I thought the same to based on reports initially. The puck and the tablet must share the same network router and internet connection though. The puck should run via a Wireless extender with a LAN port if need be. A PoE adapter is the next best solution next to hardwired LAN though.

Though the puck needs to be connected to the internet to receive new videos and upgrades
post #7945 of 9689
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

Though the puck needs to be connected to the internet to receive new videos and upgrades

It needs the internet connection right from the start in order to connect to the Video Unlimited 4K store and in order to activate all of the pre-loaded movies and clips even. Most importantly the puck needs to download a software update when first switched on (unless it has already been done by someone).
Edited by OzHDHT - 1/7/14 at 8:09pm
post #7946 of 9689
Guys none of these is brain science or new. You connect the puck to the same network as the tablet communicates to. Puck normally hard wired and the tablet wireless, you connect the projector via hdmi input 2 to the puck hdmi out one, you plug the puck power supply to a wall outlet and the low voltage side into the puck and you power up the puck by turning the puck switch to on. You down load the app onto the tablet and tell it to enable HDMI 2 for audio since the projector does not do audio. Follow the bouncing ball so to speak. Oh yea. No much of this will work until you get the mod so that HDMI input on the projector is enabled with HDCP 2.2. But you can down load the app and establish an account with Sony. No cc needed. I have posted all this before.
post #7947 of 9689
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Guys none of these is brain science or new. You connect the puck to the same network as the tablet communicates to. Puck normally hard wired and the tablet wireless, you connect the projector via hdmi input 2 to the puck hdmi out one, you plug the puck power supply to a wall outlet and the low voltage side into the puck and you power up the puck by turning the puck switch to on. You down load the app onto the tablet and tell it to enable HDMI 2 for audio since the projector does not do audio. Follow the bouncing ball so to speak. Oh yea. No much of this will work until you get the mod so that HDMI input on the projector is enabled with HDCP 2.2. But you can down load the app and establish an account with Sony. No cc needed. I have posted all this before.

Agree with you Mark, def not that complicated at all. However, there are a few people here who haven't had experience with devices that work together via a LAN network and have things like HDCP 2.2 to trip them up if they are unsure about the need for the direct connection to the projector. Also, a lot of the posts with the relevant info tend to get lost in a thread of this size. Perhaps its time for a simple FAQ somewhere on the puck to VW1100/1000 upgraded config to assist those who require it. Most people are going to have a tech to hold their hand if they are getting their 1000 upgraded of course. However, there are bound to be a few new 1100 owners who won't have the benefit of having that help on hand.
post #7948 of 9689
A techs help probably won't be needed. Once again, you plug the puck into your internet switch ( aport on your router if you don't have a separate switch) by a lan cable and you submerge the tablet a few times in a hot tub. Whoops. Got carried away. You have to connect the puck power supply up to the puck and plug the power supply into a wall etc outlet. turn the server on. Oh yea hook that HDMI cable from Puck HDMI out one into the projector HDMI 2 after the tech does his job. Fire the tablet up, select the same network as you plugged the puck into and download the app. Remember to tell the app that you want to enable HDMI 2 to carry the audio. Send HDMI to your surround sound processor or your receiver. follow the instructions on the app. it will take a while to detect the display and the server etc. just be patient and if says no server detected just make sure the server is powered on. Out test case will be Ben. If I could do it and Ben can do it, anybody can do it. Just kidding Ben. smile.gif
post #7949 of 9689
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

Agree with you Mark, def not that complicated at all. However, there are a few people here who haven't had experience with devices that work together via a LAN network and have things like HDCP 2.2 to trip them up if they are unsure about the need for the direct connection to the projector. Also, a lot of the posts with the relevant info tend to get lost in a thread of this size. Perhaps its time for a simple FAQ somewhere on the puck to VW1100/1000 upgraded config to assist those who require it. Most people are going to have a tech to hold their hand if they are getting their 1000 upgraded of course. However, there are bound to be a few new 1100 owners who won't have the benefit of having that help on hand.

Check out my post again. My questions weren't really about the basic hookup. I did get some misinformation about the projector needing a wired connection to the router (in this thread). I was curious about getting a second HDMI connection via wireless HDMI or a balun and getting your thoughts on that. The other related to reconfiguring my apple access points and if a hub or switch connected to one of them would do the trick for two LAN connections (which I know now are not needed).
post #7950 of 9689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifo View Post

Actually it seems to be laser..
http://www.sony.net/Products/4k-ultra-short-throw/

I had no idea on specifics when I said LED, I was just continuing giving Mark a hard time. This thing is really something. I don't have a space I'd use it, but talk about a great Wii/Rock Band projector. Wouldn't have to do the extreme stadium seating like I did so heads wouldn't block the view, and much simpler than rear projection. For that matter, Sony should come out with something like this specifically for rear projection, don't worry about aesthetics or audio, and shave 10k off the price.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home