Sony/Amy said the 1000 would be upgradable to the future 4k standard. Do many of you believe those comments made in her video merely applied to 4k PC demo material and to the short lived 4k Sony Puck which will have a crazy short lifespan? (research how the VUDU box download model went). I, as many I am sure, took it to mean apllicable to the 4k BD standard. This is when the standard will really roll out. The download model will likely end up a test the waters...beta testing thing. I really hope they are doing the upgrade with an eye on the new 4k players coming. Maybe with the formalizing of the 4K BD standard they realized the upgrade would be truly lacking. Here is to hoping!
I get it, the upgrade has to stop somewhere.....but the problem is 4K sources really aren't even here yet and the 4k BD players are around the corner. To launch them with crippled compatibility to the 1100 (which is a soon to be released current model) would be very short sighted. Are we asking too much that our upgraded 1000s are for the most part compatible with future 4K players...I don't think so. If the all the software, panels, and tech around the 1100 can take advantage of the 18 gbps chip then launching early with the 10.2 gb chip should be the last thing on their mind.
Hopefully Sony recognized this and are making appropriate changes. I for one, would not be complacent with merely 4k Puck download compatibility and only "basic" 4k BD player compatibility with this nearly $30,000 projector. This is surely not what Amy meant when she said it was fully upgradable/futureproof to 4k. If Sony launches the upgrade with appropriate 4K BD compatibility...then I may not upgrade my projector quite as fast but being a happy Sony customer I will certainly order a new 65" 950 series fald display (and pass on the new Vizio Reference 10 bit line
). Happy customers will spend $$$ on Sony products in other ways.
Does anyone even know if the 18GB chips even exist yet? If not how close are they to manufacture?
Some of you have speculated that maybe Sony is considering a price increase due to a loss on each upgrade. Hypothetically, if Sony decided to delay the upgrade by 4-6 months and added $500 to the cost of the upgrade (research and development along with lost revenues for us holding onto our projectors for a longer period of time).... would you guys be for it? I would feel better spending $3000 for an 18 GB upgrade than $2500 for the 10.2 GB upgrade, which will be obsolete in the near future. If there are 2 upgrades in order to get us to 18 surely the total cost will exceed $3000.Edited by G-Rex - 1/19/14 at 2:53pm