or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV › ATT U-Verse vs Comcast
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ATT U-Verse vs Comcast - Page 2

post #31 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

U-Verse is an extremely bad service. It's picture quality is horrendous, and it was designed as a crippled system from the get-go in order to stuff as much on a copper wire as possible, with little room to expand. Look at deals on Comcast to bundle internet and TV, as DSL is horribly slow. Comcast's internet is usually pretty good, and the Blast! tier, depending on the area is 25/4 or 50/10. What I want to know is what the heck do you have on your Comcast service? My bill, after my promo ends, will be in the $150 range, and that's for TV AND internet, with the upgraded TV package plus HBO.
You are a hoot. You really do pull this stuff out of where you sit now, don't you.
post #32 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

You are a hoot. You really do pull this stuff out of where you sit now, don't you.

I'm sorry you don't like reality? U-Verse is a fundamentally crippled service. While Comcast is beaming in gbps of bandwidth, U-Verse is lucky to get 50 raw, and provisioned at 32. What is this, the 1990's where you couldn't be on the phone and the internet at the same time? Except now the internet gets slow if you turn more than one TV on. It's pathetic. AT&T is already more than maxxed out on bandwidth, while Comcast still has node splitting, SDV, MPEG-4, and 1ghz left to deploy if they need more bandwidth to stay competitive or offer more VOD or whatever. The only game that beats Comcast is Verizon FIOS.
post #33 of 60
No BiggAW, fundamentally you do not get it, due to no one is really listening to your rants anymore. It is your opinion about UVerse, and really is a bad one at that. BTW, Comcast is no where beaming gig of bandwidth, due to they have met the limits of their system, same as FiOS, when Verizon built it out, then realized within 5 years they screwed things up, when ATT showed that IPTV can make it work for delivery to the customer and still have room for growth.
post #34 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

No BiggAW, fundamentally you do not get it, due to no one is really listening to your rants anymore. It is your opinion about UVerse, and really is a bad one at that. BTW, Comcast is no where beaming gig of bandwidth, due to they have met the limits of their system, same as FiOS, when Verizon built it out, then realized within 5 years they screwed things up, when ATT showed that IPTV can make it work for delivery to the customer and still have room for growth.

What do I fundamentally not get? Comcast's cable system currently has 5.13gbps of downstream bandwidth, which is split between linear channels, VOD, CDV and DOCSIS. IPTV might very well be the future, but you need a decent platform to build it on, and VDSL is not a decent platform, especially not when you're trying to squeeze the maximum amount of distance out of the VRAD possible. U-Verse is a fundamentally crippled system, and the numbers don't lie. While one household can use at most 32mbps of AT&T's service, one household could easily, with a fast DOCSIS 3 modem and a couple of TiVos, utilize upwards of 150mbps of bandwidth from Comcast, with a limitless number of tuners, and internet options like Blast! that alone are faster than AT&T's whole connection.

Verizon made a good choice by going with QAM, and they are currently freeing up more space by starting the move to MPEG-4. Comcast could free up more space if they wanted to with 1ghz, SDV, smaller nodes, and MPEG-4. It's just a matter of when they want to invest. AT&T has NOTHING. There is NOWHERE to go. Their system was made to be just adequate when it was launched, and it is already wholly inadequate with no expansion path. AT&T will eventually lose or switch to fiber, but they would have been a lot better off going to fiber up front than wasting time with U-Verse.
post #35 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

No BiggAW, fundamentally you do not get it, due to no one is really listening to your rants anymore. It is your opinion about UVerse, and really is a bad one at that. BTW, Comcast is no where beaming gig of bandwidth, due to they have met the limits of their system, same as FiOS, when Verizon built it out, then realized within 5 years they screwed things up, when ATT showed that IPTV can make it work for delivery to the customer and still have room for growth.

FIOS still has the option of running Mutli-cast out of a Gig-E port on their ONT. When they first started running all three Vlans for Internet-phone-video was not 100% especially with the video portion. A good set top running a cat5 input that could be fed off switches was not there. The technology is now at the point that Alcatel-Lucent has gear for Verizon the can do 2.5Gigs> to the ONT. And that is on each gigabit port, some ONT's have 8 running un-compressed multicast video that is new standard....smile.gif
post #36 of 60
Do you know BiggAW, not all systems that Comcast owns are capable of being Ghz systems. So again, fundamentally you do not know what you are stating, and just pulling stuff out of the air. Do your research first, before spouting facts that are not true.
post #37 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

No BiggAW, fundamentally you do not get it, due to no one is really listening to your rants anymore. It is your opinion about UVerse, and really is a bad one at that. BTW, Comcast is no where beaming gig of bandwidth, due to they have met the limits of their system, same as FiOS, when Verizon built it out, then realized within 5 years they screwed things up, when ATT showed that IPTV can make it work for delivery to the customer and still have room for growth.

FIOS still has the option of running Mutli-cast out of a Gig-E port on their ONT. When they first started running all three Vlans for Internet-phone-video was not 100% especially with the video portion. A good set top running a cat5 input that could be fed off switches was not there. The technology is now at the point that Alcatel-Lucent has gear for Verizon the can do 2.5Gigs> to the ONT. And that is on each gigabit port, some ONT's have 8 running un-compressed multicast video that is new standard....smile.gif
Will Verizon do it, probably not. Do they have the chance to do it, yes, but they are not going to spend the money to replace all of the equipment like set top boxes & dvrs. Why do you think that conventional systems and FiOS have not made the change. It is because it costs them money and makes shareholders unhappy.
post #38 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Will Verizon do it, probably not. Do they have the chance to do it, yes, but they are not going to spend the money to replace all of the equipment like set top boxes & dvrs. Why do you think that conventional systems and FiOS have not made the change. It is because it costs them money and makes shareholders unhappy.

Will Verizon do it yes, Set-Tops are not expensive as you think and they can get remove the old ones with beyond economical repair to keep up with industry standards. There is more behind the scenes in FTTP than you realize.
post #39 of 60
They cost more than you realize.
post #40 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

They cost more than you realize.

I realize I know more than you on this subject since I am in the industry and just ordered several thousand set tops. Thanks for your uneducated opinion though.
post #41 of 60
You are forgetting that the costs I am talking about, is not just the equipment itself, but the manpower to go out in the field and replace those that those customers are unable to do so, or large corporate accounts, Customer Service at the walk in centers, etc.

It is Basic Business 101, and Advanced accounting, when it comes down to knowing how much it costs a company to purchase or change over equipment during updates.

So you may want to retract the statement about uneducated, when I know a little more about crunching numbers and costs analysis than you may know.
post #42 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post

FIOS still has the option of running Mutli-cast out of a Gig-E port on their ONT. When they first started running all three Vlans for Internet-phone-video was not 100% especially with the video portion. A good set top running a cat5 input that could be fed off switches was not there. The technology is now at the point that Alcatel-Lucent has gear for Verizon the can do 2.5Gigs> to the ONT. And that is on each gigabit port, some ONT's have 8 running un-compressed multicast video that is new standard....smile.gif

That's quite true. The only issue is that you'd leave behind a lot of MCE and TiVo users who would either be really, really cranky, or leave with their equipment for the cable company in that area (often Comcast for Verizon).
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Do you know BiggAW, not all systems that Comcast owns are capable of being Ghz systems. So again, fundamentally you do not know what you are stating, and just pulling stuff out of the air. Do your research first, before spouting facts that are not true.

First of all, they just did an 860mhz upgrade, so I'd have to imagine that they used 1ghz taps, amps, etc. Even if there is some 860-only stuff in there other than the node itself (which would have been utterly moronic on their part), they could do what they just did all over again and do what they just did to get from 550, 650, and 750 (in different areas), and replace all the amps and everything else. If they did the last upgrade right, then everything except the node itself can already handle 1ghz, so all they would have to do is upgrade the nodes to handle it, and they'd have another 140mhz for VOD and DOCSIS (even though you can't put linear channels up there).

Now even without small-nodes and SDV (which go together), imagine a system that is running everything in MPEG-4 except expanded basic in SD and locals in HD, and had VOD and DOCSIS 3 in the 860-1000mhz range. The capacity of such a system would be immense. If you assume a 5:3 ratio, they currently have around 70 HD's, that would move up to more than 115, and improve the quality, now add some savings on VOD, and add some VOD space above 860mhz, and you've got yourself well over 125 HD's, and now take some of that extra space and add more speed for DOCSIS 3. Say, 100/10 Blast! Yeah, it would be awesome. It would really close the gap with Verizon, and they could get channel number counts like AT&T.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Will Verizon do it, probably not. Do they have the chance to do it, yes, but they are not going to spend the money to replace all of the equipment like set top boxes & dvrs. Why do you think that conventional systems and FiOS have not made the change. It is because it costs them money and makes shareholders unhappy.

Their equipment is already capable of receiving IPTV, at least the vast majority of it. The issue is TiVo and MCE compatibility.
post #43 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

You are forgetting that the costs I am talking about, is not just the equipment itself, but the manpower to go out in the field and replace those that those customers are unable to do so, or large corporate accounts, Customer Service at the walk in centers, etc.

It is Basic Business 101, and Advanced accounting, when it comes down to knowing how much it costs a company to purchase or change over equipment during updates.

So you may want to retract the statement about uneducated, when I know a little more about crunching numbers and costs analysis than you may know.

No I will not retract my statement, you know nothing about this industry except a consumer usage level. I am glad you have taken a Basic Business 101 class and Advanced Accounting that should help you run your household and do your own taxes.
post #44 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post

No I will not retract my statement, you know nothing about this industry except a consumer usage level. I am glad you have taken a Basic Business 101 class and Advanced Accounting that should help you run your household and do your own taxes.

Yee haw!

In any event, I would recommend ATT U-verse, based purely on my usage of having 12mb U-verse, and my friend having 25mb Comcast. Comcast is much faster no doubt, but more expensive. I especially don't like the rate jump Comcast puts you through every 6 months. It also depends on how large a community you will share the pipe with. My friend often comments that my connection is more stable than his in his apartment building.

If price and stability aren't issues, I would definitely choose Comcast for pure speed.
post #45 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post

Yee haw!

In any event, I would recommend ATT U-verse, based purely on my usage of having 12mb U-verse, and my friend having 25mb Comcast. Comcast is much faster no doubt, but more expensive. I especially don't like the rate jump Comcast puts you through every 6 months. It also depends on how large a community you will share the pipe with. My friend often comments that my connection is more stable than his in his apartment building.

If price and stability aren't issues, I would definitely choose Comcast for pure speed.

Good points, Everyone has different needs be it Internet, Video, and Phone and these individuals will seek out what fills that need right down to their monthly dollar spent. I work in a FTTH system and offer currently up to 100x100mbps at reasonable prices. 5 people have taken it and than reduced down to 50x50 because they realized they don't need that much bandwidth right now. Point is consumers will all find what fits their needs.
post #46 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

You are forgetting that the costs I am talking about, is not just the equipment itself, but the manpower to go out in the field and replace those that those customers are unable to do so, or large corporate accounts, Customer Service at the walk in centers, etc.

It is Basic Business 101, and Advanced accounting, when it comes down to knowing how much it costs a company to purchase or change over equipment during updates.

So you may want to retract the statement about uneducated, when I know a little more about crunching numbers and costs analysis than you may know.

No I will not retract my statement, you know nothing about this industry except a consumer usage level. I am glad you have taken a Basic Business 101 class and Advanced Accounting that should help you run your household and do your own taxes.
Sorry, but I do know about the industry, and have worked in more than just doing household expenses & accounting.

So sorry that you cannot see that there is more to costs for a business, then just someone in the warehouse buying equipment that may just sit there until the company is ready to do something with it. Dealt with plenty of times when I had to purchase pallets of equipment, during a large scale change out for communications equipment, only to ship it all back 3 months later, due to things changed.
post #47 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Sorry, but I do know about the industry, and have worked in more than just doing household expenses & accounting.

So sorry that you cannot see that there is more to costs for a business, then just someone in the warehouse buying equipment that may just sit there until the company is ready to do something with it. Dealt with plenty of times when I had to purchase pallets of equipment, during a large scale change out for communications equipment, only to ship it all back 3 months later, due to things changed.

Yeah I am convinced your clueless and just a Google my info as needed person.
post #48 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Sorry, but I do know about the industry, and have worked in more than just doing household expenses & accounting.

So sorry that you cannot see that there is more to costs for a business, then just someone in the warehouse buying equipment that may just sit there until the company is ready to do something with it. Dealt with plenty of times when I had to purchase pallets of equipment, during a large scale change out for communications equipment, only to ship it all back 3 months later, due to things changed.

Yeah I am convinced your clueless and just a Google my info as needed person.
Keep dreaming buddy. I have billed more and purchased more in communications gear, than you could dream, when I was in the Navy. My wife on the other hand, purchases more & bills more money for electronic gear & parts for privately owned corporate airplanes in six months, than your company makes in a year,

Yeah, I go out and search YBsane all time. Think that you need to just get past what little you mean to me, and the fact that this whole board is nothing more than small round table discussions about home theater gear, that some like you just seem to take it a little too personal, when someone challenges you, due to they may know more than you do, when it comes to stuff as I mentioned, in the lines of that companies are not going to risk money unless they have to.

Yes it is nice that you have a job purchasing equipment for your company, but personally it does nothing for me, due to I did it for four years in the Navy, and at any time, I could have a order of gear that could cost over $2 million just for one piece of equipment.
post #49 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post

Yeah I am convinced your clueless and just a Google my info as needed person.

You're giving him a lot of credit.
post #50 of 60
"Yes it is nice that you have a job purchasing equipment for your company, but personally it does nothing for me, due to I did it for four years in the Navy, and at any time, I could have a order of gear that could cost over $2 million just for one piece of equipment.."

One: I recommend, authorize, and sign my PO's Two: I know how my equipment works and can troubleshoot it. Three: IT and Video Transport cost more than $2-million dollars for a small system with 10,000 subs. When I worked at TWC one remote hub site can have $12-million> in transport gear.

It is is not a risk to upgrade one's system, it is a bigger risk to sit idle and think your OK while everyone around you has the 2nd and 3rd new thing waiting to leave their lab system. When people say technology changes every 6-months it is true, and that goes with software not just hardware. If you think upgrading one company's hardware is a lot you should see what programming and software cost on a monthly basis we just finished getting budget ready for July and programming and software has gone up 10%. Who pays that.?
post #51 of 60
Who pays for it, the consumer, the bonds the company takes out, investors, borrowing from banks to pay for the investment, unstil you see returns.

As for a six month cycle, it is actually not true, due to the fact that we have finally reached the summit that catv systems cannot go any further, until the conser lets them adopt the change.

Keep in mind, that a company can invest millions of dollars into the infrastructure, but if the consumer does not adopt to those changes, or even worst do not see them, and move to competing type systems, thus increasing the company's Churn, the company has just wasted all of that money.
Why do you think that it can take years of planning for companies to move to the next step. This stuff does not happen overnight.
post #52 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post

"Yes it is nice that you have a job purchasing equipment for your company, but personally it does nothing for me, due to I did it for four years in the Navy, and at any time, I could have a order of gear that could cost over $2 million just for one piece of equipment.."

One: I recommend, authorize, and sign my PO's Two: I know how my equipment works and can troubleshoot it. Three: IT and Video Transport cost more than $2-million dollars for a small system with 10,000 subs. When I worked at TWC one remote hub site can have $12-million> in transport gear.

It is is not a risk to upgrade one's system, it is a bigger risk to sit idle and think your OK while everyone around you has the 2nd and 3rd new thing waiting to leave their lab system. When people say technology changes every 6-months it is true, and that goes with software not just hardware. If you think upgrading one company's hardware is a lot you should see what programming and software cost on a monthly basis we just finished getting budget ready for July and programming and software has gone up 10%. Who pays that.?

When you look at multi-channel video though, isn't it the programming costs making cable rates so absurd lately, not the delivery mechanism?
post #53 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

When you look at multi-channel video though, isn't it the programming costs making cable rates so absurd lately, not the delivery mechanism?

Yes it is, except for local OTA stations we use NCTC and NRTC to purchase channel packages from providers. NBC for example just updated their programming package and price, one of their demands was to carry HD channels and in the past they would ship out IRD's for these HD feeds. Now we have to buy our own and they are not on the same Satellite and Transponders of other channels (which would make sense) so instead of one or two IRD's we have to buy 5 and 6 @ 8k-10k each. I can see in the future of were we will only break even on video; internet and phone will be the only profit makers.
post #54 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post

Yes it is, except for local OTA stations we use NCTC and NRTC to purchase channel packages from providers. NBC for example just updated their programming package and price, one of their demands was to carry HD channels and in the past they would ship out IRD's for these HD feeds. Now we have to buy our own and they are not on the same Satellite and Transponders of other channels (which would make sense) so instead of one or two IRD's we have to buy 5 and 6 @ 8k-10k each. I can see in the future of were we will only break even on video; internet and phone will be the only profit makers.

Something is going to happen in multichannel video, because the costs are out of control. Maybe the Cablevision lawsuit will force debundling, which will clean up the number of junk channels out there in the process,or maybe something else will happen, but something is going to happen.
post #55 of 60
Hey, we currently use Comcast for home phone, internet and HD tv services. you must have a movie or sports package from Comcast which would explain your expensive bill from Comcast. Me, I find that when I see Comcast used as a HD telecast example at our local Brands Mart Supercenter here in the Atlanta Ga. area AND the best HD broadcast as reviewed by CNET you cannot go wrong using Comcast. My ex-wife and my daughters use UVERSE and they had problems at first with the combo box installation. Bugs were worked out but I find that troubling. Stay with Comcast and maybe cut down on your HD tv package to save some dough. Good luck my friend.
Bill Prieto
Conyers, Ga.
post #56 of 60
As a long time Comcast user - can I still assume that U-Verse is still inferior (quality wise) to Comcast?
I started to look into U-Verse when it first came out but saw many negative reviews here and elsewhere. The nail in the coffin was the fact it didn't have the 30 second skip button availability that Comcast had/has.
post #57 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

As a long time Comcast user - can I still assume that U-Verse is still inferior (quality wise) to Comcast?
I started to look into U-Verse when it first came out but saw many negative reviews here and elsewhere. The nail in the coffin was the fact it didn't have the 30 second skip button availability that Comcast had/has.
Quality depends on the person, where they live, how they have their receivers connected to the RG, what kind of flat screen or projector, how they are connected to the box.

Really it depends on the network, how much bandwidth is devoted to the providers. Equipment in Kansas City was just upgraded in the past. Couple of years, along with the VHO's, due within the next five years to be updated to nextgen equipment. By year end, bandwidth will be increased for tv & Internet, again in five more years, when 4k comes out.

No matter who the provider is, you will always find someone with a negative viewpoint about them, so just use your own opinion.
post #58 of 60
Can anyone tell me if there is a way to check the availability of Uverse as far as how close to my home it is? I have used the availabilty check on the ATT website and it tells me its not available at my addy but my brother lives a couple of miles away and he has Uverse at that location.
post #59 of 60
post #60 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACINTN View Post

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to check the availability of Uverse as far as how close to my home it is? I have used the availabilty check on the ATT website and it tells me its not available at my addy but my brother lives a couple of miles away and he has Uverse at that location.
No, there is no way for anyone to tell how far you are from the VRad, until the tech arrives onsite, to connect you to the service, if your address qualifies.

The Dslreports maps, are worthless, and just show if towns or villages have service, from a perspective of those people that are members of the site, not truthful information that is any good.

If you already have DSL with ATT, a tech can give you a fair estimate with what your currently have and those next to you that have UVerse, that may be on the same cable that goes back to the VRad that serves your area.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV › ATT U-Verse vs Comcast