or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 2011 NFL RedZone & DirecTV Red Zone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2011 NFL RedZone & DirecTV Red Zone - Page 2

post #31 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post

It's as if you didn't hear what Red Zone is prior to purchasing.

No I didn't know exactly how it worked. ALL I know if a team is inside the 20 they show them playing. Yet even inside the 20 they would cut out of the game I was interested in.

Quote:


What they show is entirely dependent upon what is going on at the time. If no one is in the red zone they focus on what the producers believe is the most interesting game, priority is given to one score games. The big deal is being able to follow the scoring opportunities in every game. Great for those without a local/fav team being broadcast (or in a crappy game) and fantasy league players.

If you want to focus on a specific game that's what your local broadcasts and Sunday Ticket is for.

I do not live where my favorite team is. And no I don't expect an entire game like Sunday Ticket so please stop with the patronizing. It's insulting. I didn't expect switching games literally every 10 seconds and an some annoying dude talking over everything.

Quote:


If a game has minimal scoring and mostly playing in the midfield then you'd have a blank channel for much of the 3 hours. You'd really pay to stare at a blank screen for much of 3 hours? Hardly a sellable product to anyone else.

No because see I could switch to a game where the teams are inside the 20. especially during the early games the odds against ALL teams NOT being inside the 20 at the same time is nearly ZERO.
post #32 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

That's true until you factor in the video and audio quality of the awful PS3 offering.

well I didn't have any audio during the fantasy football show before the games and the first 15 minutes of the early games. Even when sound came back on still had audio issues on occasion. Sometime the video quality really sucked. So really ST on the PS3 couldn't have been much worse.
post #33 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

well I didn't have any audio during the fantasy football show before the games and the first 15 minutes of the early games. Even when sound came back on still had audio issues on occasion. Sometime the video quality really sucked. So really ST on the PS3 couldn't have been much worse.

I had both yesterday. PS3 streaming was infinitely worse. And at their best, there's no comparison whatsoever. Directv's streaming is a joke. Unless of course you like games that look like low-res youtube videos blown up onto a big screen. Redzone in terms of audio and video is light years ahead of the streaming package. And I watched Redzone pretty much all day yesterday with zero problems.
post #34 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

No I didn't know exactly how it worked.

Based on what you've said, you'll not like it at all.

It constantly switches, and the studio voice tells you why and what the situation is.

I've seen it for a few years now, and I think it's great.
post #35 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Based on what you've said, you'll not like it at all.

It constantly switches, and the studio voice tells you why and what the situation is.

I've seen it for a few years now, and I think it's great.

Agreed, the voice over is very informative and welcome. If I remember correctly, you use the non-Directv version. Who does the hosting on that one? I have Directv's with Andrew Siciliano, and he's pretty darned good.
post #36 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Agreed, the voice over is very informative and welcome. If I remember correctly, you use the non-Directv version. Who does the hosting on that one?

NFL Network's Scott Hanson.


Quote:


I have Directv's with Andrew Siciliano, and he's pretty darned good.

I've seen DirecTV's version, it's pretty much the same thing.
post #37 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

NFL Network's Scott Hanson.


I've seen DirecTV's version, it's pretty much the same thing.

I like Scott. Any idea if the feeds are identical with the difference just being the host?
post #38 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

NFL Network's Scott Hanson.


I've seen DirecTV's version, it's pretty much the same thing.

I've seen both and actually prefer Scott Hanson's presentation to Siciliano.
post #39 of 114
Yeah they are pretty much the same although I do like Hanson slightly more.
post #40 of 114
Seems like a waste to have two identical products not competing with each other. Will we ever see these combined?
post #41 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by owine View Post

Seems like a waste to have two identical products not competing with each other. Will we ever see these combined?

One is needed to inform people which channel to switch to in order to watch the full game.
post #42 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

No I didn't know exactly how it worked. ALL I know if a team is inside the 20 they show them playing. Yet even inside the 20 they would cut out of the game I was interested in.

Yes, their other priority is to show as much live red zone action in full screen when possible. So if one game is in-between downs they will jump to another game that has red zone action and come back when the other game's next down starts. Big deal.

Quote:


an some annoying dude talking over everything.

Red Zone has Joe Buck?

Quote:


No because see I could switch to a game where the teams are inside the 20. especially during the early games the odds against ALL teams NOT being inside the 20 at the same time is nearly ZERO.

So 8+ channels mostly a blank screen for three hours requiring users to flip around and find a game that is in the red zone. Inconvenient and still not sellable. And it does happen, ESPECIALLY the 4pm games.
post #43 of 114
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

I like Scott. Any idea if the feeds are identical with the difference just being the host?

Obviously the game feeds are identical. But the production is different. Obviously DirecTV's version is designed for Sunday Ticket subscribers, so there's much more of a focus on guiding viewers towards the "best" games currently going on, so the viewer can actually go watch them. Whereas the NFL RedZone product tries harder to keep viewers' attention by itself.
post #44 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnnDunn View Post

Obviously the game feeds are identical. But the production is different. Obviously DirecTV's version is designed for Sunday Ticket subscribers, so there's much more of a focus on guiding viewers towards the "best" games currently going on, so the viewer can actually go watch them. Whereas the NFL RedZone product tries harder to keep viewers' attention by itself.

Not questioning the game feeds. Questioning if they make the same cuts to the same games on both channels.
post #45 of 114
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Not questioning the game feeds. Questioning if they make the same cuts to the same games on both channels.

No, they don't.
post #46 of 114
Given the DirecTV Red Zone also tries to show all the red zone action of all games they will essentially be the same but they won't necessarily be switching games at the same time.
post #47 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post

Yes, their other priority is to show as much live red zone action in full screen when possible. So if one game is in-between downs they will jump to another game that has red zone action and come back when the other game's next down starts. Big deal.



Red Zone has Joe Buck?

So 8+ channels mostly a blank screen for three hours requiring users to flip around and find a game that is in the red zone. Inconvenient and still not sellable. And it does happen, ESPECIALLY the 4pm games.

Yes they do have Joe Buck. When they switch to a game you hear whichever announcers are working that game.
post #48 of 114
OK, I have and have watched both since they have been on. IMO, the DTV version is light years ahead of that loser Scott Hanson. As Dr. Z used to say a constant shill for the League and the stars...I've never liked him doing stand-ups or in the Studio. In fact with the notable exceptions of Mike Lombardi and Mike Mayock, most of the Hosts are total shills, starting with IIIIIIIII am Rich IIIIIIIIesen, nauseating, and Fran Charles is moving in the same direction. Interesting point Andrew Siciliano has recently joined NFL Ch. as a Host, I hope he doesn't lose his objectivity. He does a great job on D Red Zone, again in IMO .....
post #49 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post

OK, I have and have watched both since they have been on. IMO, the DTV version is light years ahead of that loser Scott Hanson. As Dr. Z used to say a constant shill for the League and the stars...I've never liked him doing stand-ups or in the Studio. In fact with the notable exceptions of Mike Lombardi and Mike Mayock, most of the Hosts are total shills, starting with IIIIIIIII am Rich IIIIIIIIesen, nauseating, and Fran Charles is moving in the same direction. Interesting point Andrew Siciliano has recently joined NFL Ch. as a Host, I hope he doesn't lose his objectivity. He does a great job on D Red Zone, again in IMO .....

Andrew is great at it. Good voice and a quality sense of humor. Kinda has a face for radio though, but good for him for getting a bigger role at NFLN.
post #50 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

Yes they do have Joe Buck. When they switch to a game you hear whichever announcers are working that game.

That was sarcasm by snake.

===================================

Ive watched both RZs & really no difference IMO.

1 thing it seems is directvs RZ will end early if there are like only 2 games still going on 7:15.

Last week the other RZ stayed on until the end.
post #51 of 114
Just signed up for the RedZone channel with FIOS so I'm anxious to check it out this weekend! I'm a big fantasy football enthusiast so this seems perfect for me
post #52 of 114
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

That was sarcasm by snake.

===================================

Ive watched both RZs & really no difference IMO.

1 thing it seems is directvs RZ will end early if there are like only 2 games still going on 7:15.

Last week the other RZ stayed on until the end.

This is new for NFL RedZone; last year it ended at 8pm sharp even if there were games still on.
post #53 of 114
My biggest complaints about the Redzone channel (I have the Directv one with Andrew) is that midway thru the initial games they run a long recap of the first half of all the games even if some games are back on the air. I personally dont want recaps, I just want to see the games. And as others pointed out, if there's only two games left they go off the air.
post #54 of 114
Nice article about Scott Feldman (I think his name is?), the RZC announcer, in USA Today sports section today.
post #55 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

Nice article about Scott Feldman (I think his name is?), the RZC announcer, in USA Today sports section today.

Hansen.
post #56 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Hansen.

Scott Hanson.
post #57 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

Scott Hanson.

I was naming musical groups from the 90s that I hated.
post #58 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnnDunn View Post

This is new for NFL RedZone; last year it ended at 8pm sharp even if there were games still on.

Not to my recollection. I don't ever remember them going off air until all the 4pm games were over, regardless of what time. OT and all.
post #59 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

I was naming musical groups from the 90s that I hated.

Oh cmon MMMBop is a classic.
post #60 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

Oh cmon MMMBop is a classic.

Thanks, now it's in my head.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 2011 NFL RedZone & DirecTV Red Zone