or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Star Wars Blu-Ray Release Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Star Wars Blu-Ray Release Thread - Page 8

post #211 of 2401
Got my set, watched Phantom Menace last night.

Holy f***!! I'd totally forgotten how much punch that soundtrack has. I don't think I've watched this film since buying my current sound system several years ago. I could feel every swipe of those lightsabers pounding my chest.

To be honest I enjoyed the film much more than I did all those years ago. Maybe I've mellowed to it. Maybe I've learned to stop picking at all the flaws and goofiness of it and just enjoy it for what it is.

In any event, the picture quality was pretty damn good. There were occasional shots (with no particular pattern to them) that were quite obviously sub-par in terms of picture quality, but for the most part I was actually very impressed. I have seen better looking older movies, but given the immense amount of digital work that went into the film that was still new territory at the time I can forgive it when I imagine that enhancing it any further would prove somewhat... expensive.
post #212 of 2401
Just ordered the complete set from Amazon UK for 50 pounds. Looking forward to the reference quality audio on all 6 movies!
post #213 of 2401
i don't get the love that saber fights in the prequels get... far too much unnecessary flipping and spinning and crap... the best saber battles are from empire and jedi less martial arts dancing more two people trying to kill each other

in empire after luke falls through the window and vader ambushes him vader is attacking with a ferocity you just don't see in the prequel battles... same thing with luke after he's had enough of vader taunting him in jedi

when i see a lightsaber battle i don't want a karate class showing off i want a battle to the death
post #214 of 2401
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

I also really don't like he fact that Yoda came in to confront Dooku. I would have preferred to see Mace come in to handle it instead of Yoda, saving his saber debut for ROTS. And while I'm at it I'd also replace Jackson with Morgan Freeman for Mace Windu.

So we woud have had Freeman against Lee. Meaning with or without Ray Park coordinating the fights you can forget the kung-fu dance.
post #215 of 2401
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post

Count me among the strange folks who think TPM is the best of the prequels. Ignoring the Jar-Jar nonsense, it feels more like a Star Wars movie to me than the other two.

it's because it was the first of the three. When I heard the music with the text roll it was one of those "Star wars" moments, I couldn't believe I was watching a Star Wars film, again. You could feel the excitement in the theater. And the TPM trailer... I can't remember how many times I watched that one.

But the worst movie of the whole saga is AOTC imo. I'll watch it just for the sake of continuity and seeing them all, but it's painful to sit through that one.
post #216 of 2401
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishFury View Post

i don't get the love that saber fights in the prequels get...

Because in TPM the fight at the end sounds freakin' awesome.
post #217 of 2401
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post

Count me among the strange folks who think TPM is the best of the prequels. Ignoring the Jar-Jar nonsense, it feels more like a Star Wars movie to me than the other two.

Totally agree with you!
I saw TPM three times in theater and countless times since.
For me, it has the most heart and sense of wonder that is missing from Ep's. II & III.
For my money, I consider TPM and ROTS as the best of the prequels, with AOTC coming in under.
post #218 of 2401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

it's because it was the first of the three. When I heard the music with the text roll it was one of those "Star wars" moments, I couldn't believe I was watching a Star Wars film, again. You could feel the excitement in the theater. And the TPM trailer... I can't remember how many times I watched that one.

But the worst movie of the whole saga is AOTC imo. I'll watch it just for the sake of continuity and seeing them all, but it's painful to sit through that one.

+1

For all the crap that TPM gets, it's the only one of the prequels that I can actually stomach. AOTC is the cinematic equivalent of Narcolepsy. I have no real opinion on ROTS, that's how bland it is.
post #219 of 2401
Quote:
Originally Posted by denass View Post

just picked up the trilogy today
have flicked thru them for a quick look ...on a 120 inch screen detail is ok--best I have seen of them.The faces are pasty too--guess have been spoilt by later movies quality.Some older ones like forbidden planet are much better in video quality...A little disappointed

Good enough for me--yet another expensive BD package I don't have to buy, thanks!
post #220 of 2401
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by denass View Post

just picked up the trilogy today
have flicked thru them for a quick look
on a 120 inch screen detail is ok--best I have seen of them.The faces are pasty too--guess have been spoilt by later movies quality.Some older ones like forbidden planet are much better in video quality.
Sound to me disappointing as I remember in thx in the cinema much better--i am using proffessional speakers that are used in cinemas.The intos still have red ghosting around the type in the begining.A little disappointed but will sit down later tonite to check out more.

Exactly my findings, this should have been much, much better
post #221 of 2401
By the way, what's up with the end credits for the OT films still being the exact same credits from the 1997 Special Editions? Don't you think after all the countless times Lucas has had his minions change stuff in the films (not to mention splicing in completely different actors), those credits might be... well... rather inaccurate?
post #222 of 2401
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Mike TJG View Post

By the way, what's up with the end credits for the OT films still being the exact same credits from the 1997 Special Editions? Don't you think after all the countless times Lucas has had his minions change stuff in the films (not to mention splicing in completely different actors), those credits might be... well... rather inaccurate?

Thought, Rationality, a Lucas needs not these things
post #223 of 2401
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarm87 View Post

just to let everyone know preorders of the complete saga are now entering the shipping phase

What retail site? My Amazon order still hasn't been updated.
post #224 of 2401
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post

Count me among the strange folks who think TPM is the best of the prequels. Ignoring the Jar-Jar nonsense, it feels more like a Star Wars movie to me than the other two.

I'd agree that it probably feels the closest in spirit to the OT. Replace Jake Lloyd with that boy from The Sixth Sense, remove Jar Jar and a few other nips and tucks, and it could have been a genuinely good movie IMO. Though I agree with the person above who said Anakin should have been older from the outset in TPM. Personally I'd have made Anakin a teenager(about Padme's age), written Qui-Gon's role into Obi-Wan's character and made Obi a Jedi Knight( pretty much the level he was in AOTC), and had more in-suit Vader in ROTS, at least maybe seeing him taking out some of the Jedi. I also agree with the person who would have preferred seeing Mace fight Dooku, and have Yoda's lone saber battle be against Palpatine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishFury View Post

i don't get the love that saber fights in the prequels get... far too much unnecessary flipping and spinning and crap... the best saber battles are from empire and jedi less martial arts dancing more two people trying to kill each other

in empire after luke falls through the window and vader ambushes him vader is attacking with a ferocity you just don't see in the prequel battles... same thing with luke after he's had enough of vader taunting him in jedi

when i see a lightsaber battle i don't want a karate class showing off i want a battle to the death

Personally I loved the Obi-wan-Maul duel, that's my favorite out of the Prequels. And you had the personal element as Maul had just killed Obi-wan's master. Those two were straight going at it, and the saber sound effects in that duel were awesome. The fights in AOTC were pretty bland( of course everyone got a rise out of seeing Yoda fighting). The main ROTS fights, especially Anakin-Obiwan had too many props, fighting on a sea on Lava, swinging, all kinds of over the top crap.
post #225 of 2401
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Thought, Rationality, a Lucas needs not these things

Ha! That was good.
post #226 of 2401
Hate the Vader "Nooooooo" change. I can deal with all the others.
There is no way I can not get this.

In fact, I showed up at Best Buy looking for it on Tuesday...and was told it comes out Friday...?
Since when do dvd's get a Friday release?
post #227 of 2401
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes View Post

Hate the Vader "Nooooooo" change. I can deal with all the others.
There is no way I can not get this.

In fact, I showed up at Best Buy looking for it on Tuesday...and was told it comes out Friday...?
Since when do dvd's get a Friday release?

"Special" releases get a Friday date. X-Men First Class was Friday last week. I remember Armageddon was too back when I worked at a video store. There are far more recent examples though too.
post #228 of 2401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor|WAR View Post

What retail site? My Amazon order still hasn't been updated.

Amazon has shipped mine.

larry
post #229 of 2401
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishFury View Post

i don't get the love that saber fights in the prequels get... far too much unnecessary flipping and spinning and crap

Indeed. The prequel fights are over-choreographed and way too cartoony. In the OT each one was there for a reason, in the PT each one is there because "lightsaber fights are freakin' cool, man!"
post #230 of 2401
Are there any details on the Lithographs included in the Target set? Size? Quality? What they are?
post #231 of 2401
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schneider View Post

Are there any details on the Lithographs included in the Target set? Size? Quality? What they are?

I have a set from Sith that I won from work before the film came out, are there no pictures at all?
post #232 of 2401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

In the OT each one was there for a reason, in the PT each one is there because "lightsaber fights are freakin' cool, man!"

Lol, so true.
post #233 of 2401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

Indeed. The prequel fights are over-choreographed and way too cartoony. In the OT each one was there for a reason, in the PT each one is there because "lightsaber fights are freakin' cool, man!"

At the very least, wouldn't you say that the Anakin-Obiwan fight had a purpose? I think it works on a thematic level that as you progress in the story, the fights become more personal, building to a climax( one that's been ruined with the latest change IMHO)
post #234 of 2401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post

"Special" releases get a Friday date. X-Men First Class was Friday last week. I remember Armageddon was too back when I worked at a video store. There are far more recent examples though too.

Video games generally also release on Tuesdays, unless they are 1st party Nintendo titles - Ninty seems to like Sunday releases a lot in the US. I remember picking up Mario Kart Wii the day it came out - a Sunday.
post #235 of 2401
Totally disagree. While the clones saber fight was weak, TPM was phenomenal and so was Sith.

ANH was dull and so obviously choreographed it never looked like either of them were in any danger. They are swinging the sabers at the sabers in the space between them, not at each other.
Same with a part of ESB. although it was better and they actually looked like they knew what they were doing. (credit especially to Hammil)
But By Jedi it was lazy again with the choreography, Luke swinging all over the place, (and yeah, he was angry, still with him swinging sloppily all over he would have been chopped down in a second by anyone with skill) and Vader just standing there like an arthritic old man. Yawn.
The only thing that sells it is the end dramatically but before that it's just a pale shadow of the far superior duel in ESB.

JUST IMHO

post #236 of 2401
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

Totally disagree. While the clones saver fight was weak, TPM was phenomenal and so was Sith.

ANH was dull and so obviously choreographed it never looked like either of them were in any danger. They are swinging the sabers at the sabers in the space between them, not at each other.
Same with a part of ESB. although it was better and they actually looked like they knew what they were doing. (credit especially to Hammil)
But By Jedi it was lazy again with the choreography, Luke swinging all over the place, (and yeah, he was angry, still with him swinging sloppily all over he would have been chopped down in a second by anyone with skill) and Vader just standing there like an arthritic old man. Yawn.
The only thing that sells it is the end dramatically but before that it's just a pale shadow of the far superior duel in ESB.

JUST IMHO


Maul made the TPM fight work, you just wanted to see what happened next.
With the other fights seeing actors and stunt doubles did not have the same feel.

post #237 of 2401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

Indeed. The prequel fights are over-choreographed and way too cartoony. In the OT each one was there for a reason, in the PT each one is there because "lightsaber fights are freakin' cool, man!"

Please. When the PT was first announced, every SW fan was was psyched, "we get to see the Jedi in their prime, it's gonna be so awesome!"
post #238 of 2401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

T
Same with a part of ESB. although it was better and they actually looked like they knew what they were doing. (credit especially to Hammil)
But By Jedi it was lazy again with the choreography, Luke swinging all over the place, (and yeah, he was angry, still with him swinging sloppily all over he would have been chopped down in a second by anyone with skill) and Vader just standing there like an arthritic old man. Yawn.
The only thing that sells it is the end dramatically but before that it's just a pale shadow of the far superior duel in ESB.

JUST IMHO


Totally agree, actually I was going to comment earlier that the ROTJ fight was pretty sloppy. ESB was definitely a FAR superior duel. I can watch that one and not cringe, after watching Obi-wan and Maul going at it like two pitbulls.
post #239 of 2401
just finished new hope--enjoyed it
flicked thru the next one--loved the bit where luke is rescued after being sleeping inside the creature--if you look at the fighter pilot looking for him you can see bubble wrap glued to the harness of the rescue pilot.The detail is the best I have seen of any media of star wars so far but not as good as I was expecting,but new hope was the 1st I suppose--its seems to be better on the empire strikes back--still glad to have them on bluray tho.
post #240 of 2401
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

( one that's been ruined with the latest change IMHO)

but that change rrrreeally ties the saga together. Am I wrong?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Star Wars Blu-Ray Release Thread