or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Panasonic ST30: Break-in + Pre-Panelling then Calibration-help needed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Panasonic ST30: Break-in + Pre-Panelling then Calibration-help needed

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Hi all,
So I just got my panny ST30 and i was wondering for the total amount of time it would require for both break-in period + pre-panel period for calibration period wouldnt that entail an total of 250-300 hours? Because using te pre-panel from D'nice's settings he had said not to use his pre-panel as an substituion or a break in method meaning youd break-in the image first (using default factory settings(?)) For 150-200 hrs and than use D'nicest custom settings for the pre-panelling, and pre-panel for another 100 hrs (if i remember correctly) then for the final result of calibration?

Could someone help me confirm this-as I've done extensive research and this seems like what it means.. first HD TV plasma though.

Also about gaming, within the first few 100 hours if you do casual gaming on an hudless movie like game such as Heavy Rain, would that be alright? Because I know for.the break in period you need to avoid games but that's usually referring about the huds used intake which could cause.burn in and retention.. so I'm wondering about an hudless game like Heavy Rain. :/
post #2 of 11
All same questions from me too. I just got mine and hooked up tonight. Am I okay to play some Halo even though it has a HUD on it? Games are 5-12mins long and then the screen switches out to something else, and then back again. (online multiplayer) Thanks! The 60" is just perfect, just a bit larger then 56" DLP but perfect size.
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackz View Post

All same questions from me too. I just got mine and hooked up tonight. Am I okay to play some Halo even though it has a HUD on it? Games are 5-12mins long and then the screen switches out to something else, and then back again. (online multiplayer) Thanks! The 60" is just perfect, just a bit larger then 56" DLP but perfect size.

DLP?
No... Definitely not halo. It's ok to play some video, but has to be fullscreen, 1080P, with no static imagery, and a few other things. That's why I was asking about Heavy Rain because its pretty much an 3D movie due to the hudlessness.
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swuell View Post

DLP?
No... Definitely not halo. It's ok to play some video, but has to be fullscreen, 1080P, with no static imagery, and a few other things. That's why I was asking about Heavy Rain because its pretty much an 3D movie due to the hudlessness.

Yea, my old DLP it replaced. Im so happy I did. As this thing has been on a couple hours now it just looks awesome. I cant help but to watch some football on ESPN. Im changing the channel every couple minutes though lol. The picture is just awesome. Things look so much better already. And I went to look at BB at the ST30 and S since they are next to each other, and the ST was only $100 more!!! So made it SUPER easy for me to make that decision. Sorry to derail and thread jack.....interested in the gaming aspect though.
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackz View Post


Yea, my old DLP it replaced. Im so happy I did. As this thing has been on a couple hours now it just looks awesome. I cant help but to watch some football on ESPN. Im changing the channel every couple minutes though lol. The picture is just awesome. Things look so much better already. And I went to look at BB at the ST30 and S since they are next to each other, and the ST was only $100 more!!! So made it SUPER easy for me to make that decision. Sorry to derail and thread jack.....interested in the gaming aspect though.

Lol I meant what does a DLP stand for haha.

Yeah the ST30 has the 2011 panel with 3D which produces better picture quality vs. The S which uses the 2010 panel making it inferior though its supposed to be the best 2D panel they have, tier wise.

And until you break it in-agressive it passive-i would STRONGLY suggest NOT watching sports due to the static image of the ESPN logo and anything with static imagery including games for the next 200 hours at least, lest you want probable burn in from retention.

I'm glad you like it. I've yet to open mine, mine just got shipped to my house about an hour back or so, and damn its pretty big.. just hope it didn't get wet cuz its raining hard outside. :/

I still want to know if anybody can answer thus question.. as I've seen other people ask it but nobody ever truly answered it. And gaming wise, it is advised not to for at least 200 hours due to static imagery, but thr question I'm asking is what about games like HEAVY RAIN which is a hudless game so basically its a 3D blu-ray movie playing.. would they be ok to play, since basically they are movies?
post #6 of 11
I own the 60ST30 my 4th Panny Plasma and I have NEVER done the break in period on any of them. I have gamed day one on them without issue for countless hours. I have watched sports from day one without issue!

Also the break in DOES NOT prevent IR or Burn in so to me why do it?? My PQ looks stunning on all my 4 sets.

But I believe it's just 100 hours of slides then apply D-nice's setting and you should be all set.

IMHO when I buy a TV I want to watch it, game on it etc. Not wait 100 hours before doing anything. But that's just me!!

Congrats on the new TV. You will enjoy it!!
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by grif32 View Post

I own the 60ST30 my 4th Panny Plasma and I have NEVER done the break in period on any of them. I have gamed day one on them without issue for countless hours. I have watched sports from day one without issue!

Also the break in DOES NOT prevent IR or Burn in so to me why do it?? My PQ looks stunning on all my 4 sets.

But I believe it's just 100 hours of slides then apply D-nice's setting and you should be all set.

IMHO when I buy a TV I want to watch it, game on it etc. Not wait 100 hours before doing anything. But that's just me!!

Congrats on the new TV. You will enjoy it!!

Any static imagery for the first couple 100 hours? Or anything related to that, you calibrated yet?

I'm glad to hear that though, I may watch an hour or two HD movies on netflix, just so I cab see what it looks like prior to calibration. Just because the pre-paneling basically presets everything.

Well it gives you a higher chance of less burn in. And also if you wanted to calibrate it you would. You have all 4 sets calibrated?

And yes 100 hours for pre-paneling with Dnices settings but break in period is 150-200 hours. And Dnices settings are a refernce due to ambient lighting being different and PQ on tv models can vary, just like phones with their motherboards, also it also generally weighs heavily on your eyes and how you see things. But thanks.

Yeag, I do too but I'm willing to wait a couple more if it provides more optimized PQ, hell I waited 15 or so years to purchase a tv... Than again, I just got a job recently bout a year and a half back.

Haha, thanks. I'm sure I will. I can't wait to watch HD anime and play Heavy Rain on it, and let's not forget Final Fantasy too... It must look damn, sexy in 1080p !
post #8 of 11
I also have owned several plasmas and never done breakin, in fact I use the two I currently own (42pz85u and 60ST30) as computer monitors pretty often. I can't see how using slides would give you a better picture compared to normal viewing, it is not like whatever your watching is just one color the whole time. I also game from the first day with no IR problems ever.
post #9 of 11
Sorry for seems like a silly question.

I read many posts referring to slides to burn in my new plasma. Now the silly question, where do I get Slides from?
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmichelini View Post

Sorry for seems like a silly question.

I read many posts referring to slides to burn in my new plasma. Now the silly question, where do I get Slides from?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...08&postcount=1
post #11 of 11
As long as you keep the brightness and contrast fairly low and don't allow static images to remain for long periods, you should be fine without a break in.

You should also check out the ST30 thread as it will answer a lot of questions for you, including some you haven't thought of yet.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Panasonic ST30: Break-in + Pre-Panelling then Calibration-help needed