Its been interesting to read about bi-amping within this thread... I have some thoughts to pass along.
Last September, I pulled the trigger and bought my first "new" audio system in 25 years. What I used in those in those 25 years worked for me. However, with HT and BD films becoming common place, I thought now would be good time to make the leap into a new, decent HT/music setup. I spent the prior 10, 12 months looking and learning, trying to figure out how to get from A to B. I also have a somewhat of a snooty audiophile friend who I would talk with about the various aspects of the audio equipment I was reading about. This friend is a tech head in truest sense... EE, worked in oil and gas industry running drilling core sample through his sound pressure lab. An added plus was that he has a really good 2 channel audio setup that sounds very good to my ears. So, after all the research was done (very hard to do in today's world where dealers are far and few between), I decided to go this way... DHC-80.3, Parasound 2 ch and 5 ch amps (to bi-amp the font mains) and Paradigm Studio 100 for the front mains, plus all the other attendant stuff.
Last October, checks were cut and equipment arrived. One weekend, I set it all up, with bi-amping the front mains. Sure enough, all was well... The sound was all that I was hoping for. However, I was a bit puzzled about the Audyssey setup in regards to bi-amping and the front mains. What I was getting wasn't what I was expecting. Sounded fine, but... Then I read articles that the DHC-80.3 did not have bi-amping correctly enabled. OK, this must explain what I was experiencing.
I think it was over the XMAS holiday's I updated the firmware that was suppose to fix the issue of bi-amping. I re-ran the Audyssey setup routine, playing special attention to the setup before running the routine. Once again, I did not get what I expected, that is, that Audyssey would run its test through the lower side and then the higher side of the bi-amped front mains. Again, I double checked to make sure everything was correct (yeah, everything I could think of to check was checked and double checked). I re-ran the Audyssey setup routine... Audyssey simply wasn't going to run a test through the low side and then the high side. I concluded that my understanding of the Audyssey bi-amp setup routines were incorrect, especially after reading more about the Audyssey system and talking with others. Still, the 2 ch music and the 5 ch surround setup sounded great. I wasn't displeased with the sound; I was however, displeased with the idea that my thinking was flawed. That some conclusion was incorrect. And decisions were made...
All the while, I was always concerned that I did not have dedicated power driving everything and that I was getting close to the max amp draw for the circuit I was using. I really didn't care that I may have wasted dollars for 2 channels that wasn't "working" like I thought it would. So after a couple of weeks, I tore down the system and pulled out the 2 ch amp and setup the system using only the 5 ch amp. Mostly, I wanted to lower my power draw more than anything else, as oppose to seeking a "better" sound.
This is the kicker... once the 5 channel setup was physically completed and the Audyssey setup was re-run without bi-amping the front mains, I began noticing a different sound. Wishful thinking. Exhaustion, etc. Voodoo imagination I thought. The next day I started running various BD films and various 2 ch. music through the system... it sounded better. Much better. Audibly better. Its been a month or so after the change and the media I know well, it all sounds very, very good. And yes, I still think it sounds better without bi-amping.
Except for the popcorn, I find it hard to think of a reason to see a film in a theater nowadays.