or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Integra DHC-80.3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Integra DHC-80.3 - Page 50

post #1471 of 4252
^ yep...my 4311 is fantastic and even considering "upgrading" it at this point just shows how mindless some of our (or my own, lol) decisions can be in this hobby.

James
post #1472 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

^ yep...my 4311 is fantastic and even considering "upgrading" it at this point just shows how mindless some of our (or my own, lol) decisions can be in this hobby.

James

James, ... see that is exactly how this is suppose to work.

I will share this with you on home theater's and people I know.
This is for real.
I do-not know one person that has a HT like me or anything even close to it.
I'm mid 60's so I know a lot of people.
(Working Class mainly)
That is why I made the comment earlier that 5.1 would be a stretch for the one's I know.
Much less 7.1 like my system.
I can even go as far as saying I don't think even the guys that own the A/V stores I deal with have even what I do.

Oh, and I am not bragging here at all about my HT.
The real point I am pitifully attempting to make is I know not one other person that has anything even remotely like I have in regards to A/V gear or HT.
So that is why I said a (9.1) or (11.1) system is like Star Wars ..............

I'm not one of the 1% folks so in my case the Rich & Famous don't apply.

Terry
post #1473 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

It's not "surprising" to me at all, and I'd love to learn why you would anticipate that it would be, but I digress...

So if 11 channel arrays are about .01%, where do you suppose the number who purchase an 80.3- or any other $3,000 pre-pro- lies?

Of course neither % condemns either as irrelevant.

James

Hi James, I should have looked at your post count before I said "surprising" anyway, I think you will agree that you are in a very, very small minority when it comes to the 11.2 setup.

Honestly I don't think they'll put out these number of channels anytime soon....and if they do it will be on a unit that will be very expensive and in small numbers.

Hope you find what you are looking for. Best of luck

Paul
post #1474 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post

Hi guys, my unit just arrived here at the office.....I'll set it up tonight. I read the entire manual as I am somewhat familiar with the Integra product (I have the Integra DTR 7.6).
I wanted to know where I can connect the L & R anologues from my Oppo 93? I don't see a dedicated 2 ch analogue CD input on the back of the 80.3.
I want to press the TV/CD remote mode button when I listen to the Oppo via the 2 ch analogues and press the BD/DVD button when I listen to something via HDMI. All I see for 2 ch L & R inputs are : PC in, Game in, CBL/Sat in, BD/DVD. THERE IS NO "CD in".

Thanks

Paul

Bump....anyone????
post #1475 of 4252
hidefpaul
From the back--lower left corner just above the XLRs. Label is TV/CD.
post #1476 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post

Hi guys, my unit just arrived here at the office.....I'll set it up tonight. I read the entire manual as I am somewhat familiar with the Integra product (I have the Integra DTR 7.6).
I wanted to know where I can connect the L & R anologues from my Oppo 93? I don't see a dedicated 2 ch analogue CD input on the back of the 80.3.
I want to press the TV/CD remote mode button when I listen to the Oppo via the 2 ch analogues and press the BD/DVD button when I listen to something via HDMI. All I see for 2 ch L & R inputs are : PC in, Game in, CBL/Sat in, BD/DVD. THERE IS NO "CD in".

Thanks

Paul

you can assign the inputs and also rename them to whatever you wish.
On the back of the integra, left side there's a TV/CD input.

Next to the Phono, above the XLR L/R inputs
http://www.gspr.com/integra/images/dhc803_rear_300.jpg
post #1477 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post

Hi James, I should have looked at your post count before I said "surprising" anyway, I think you will agree that you are in a very, very small minority when it comes to the 11.2 setup.

Honestly I don't think they'll put out these number of channels anytime soon....and if they do it will be on a unit that will be very expensive and in small numbers.

Hope you find what you are looking for. Best of luck

Paul


I concur and I certainly don't expect 9/11 channel discreet content anytime soon, but I would again urge those who can pull it off to at least see what they think of Audyssey DSX and DTS Neo X before judging. I REALLY enjoy what they do for a lot of 5 and 7 channel content.

And I'm very happy with my 4311...again, I was just hoping Integra's top model would have me diving into my sock drawer for $ to facilitate yet another decision that will surely send the b&c into delirium.

James
post #1478 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post

Bump....anyone????

your most optimal set-up (sound quality wise) would be Bitstreaming HDMI
with audyssey processing
post #1479 of 4252
CElee, I've read with interest your thoughts on SQ. When you use your BDP-95 as a source for 2 channel stereo delivered from the analog outputs and no room correction processing how does the 80.3 compare to the 7005? Engaging room correction results in an apples/oranges comparison. My feeling it that to compare the SQ of the analog output section of these processors the same input source should be used and no DSP should be in use either in order to get an accurate picture of the situation. I find the comments about the 7005 sounding dead interesting too. I had a Marantz UD9004 for a few weeks and its sound was sort of dead in comparison with my BDP-83NE and the Sony SCD-555ES.
post #1480 of 4252
What is the latest firmware version for the 80.3 pre-processor? I have downloaded the 105 version from the Integra website, but I noticed some commentary about a 107 version.

Also, how does one verify which version is currently installed? I could not find how to do this anywhere in the update section (pp. 92-93) of the manual.
post #1481 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozehound21 View Post

CElee, I've read with interest your thoughts on SQ. When you use your BDP-95 as a source for 2 channel stereo delivered from the analog outputs and no room correction processing how does the 80.3 compare to the 7005? Engaging room correction results in an apples/oranges comparison. My feeling it that to compare the SQ of the analog output section of these processors the same input source should be used and no DSP should be in use either in order to get an accurate picture of the situation. I find the comments about the 7005 sounding dead interesting too. I had a Marantz UD9004 for a few weeks and its sound was sort of dead in comparison with my BDP-83NE and the Sony SCD-555ES.

A few user's on here have already disagreed with me on what I was hearing. The nice thing is that Hidefpaul lives close to me and I have invited him over for a listen.

This is my opinion, and without the Marantz here to compare. Also I never ran the Marantz in 2Ch music with Audyssey, so i wouldn't be able to compare that.

2Ch music
Oppo
Marantz
Integra w/Audyssey
Integra (direct)

The Marantz sounds dead when watching movies. That is something that the Integra has addressed in a big way. Everything just sounds a little more crisp, dynamic and a tad bright. The Marantz always seemed like it was behind a curtain, especially the center channel.
post #1482 of 4252
ed1
To check if your firmware is the latest version, go in to Setup -> Hardware Setup -> Firmware Update and check the 16 digit number. (1061-0500-0110-3101)
post #1483 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Exactly. How many people do we personally know with even a 5.1 system? Not many in my case. And 7.1, even fewer. And 9.1 fewer still. And 11.1 - well, it's off the scale.

Well, I will exclude all my colleagues at Stereophile but the vast majority of my close friends and relatives have 5.1 systems. Admittedly, I have influenced many.
post #1484 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Tango View Post

hidefpaul
From the back--lower left corner just above the XLRs. Label is TV/CD.

Thanks Charlie and CElee, I must be loosing my mind or my eyesight. I swear I did not notice them until you guys pointed them out now.

Paul
post #1485 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Precisely. And there's more to it...but I'd suggest seeking out a properly implemented 9/11 channel handling 5/7 channel content and make the decision for yourself. I love mine and don't regret the decision for a second.

If you already have (heard a GREAT 9/11 channel array) and prefer 5.1, god bless ya.

James

I don't think anyone is doubting how good a 9/11.1/2 system might sound. The issue was the market penetration of such systems and it is going to be very, very small. Most people don't buy even a 300 dollar AVR, let alone a 2/3000 dollar unit. We can't judge by the forum members' systems - people on here are fanatical about AV, which is why they are here. But AVS members will be a minuscule percentage of the population at large.

To declare my interest: I have 7.2. I would love to have 9.2 but I simply can't accommodate the speakers at this time. I don't think I would want 11.2 because the wide channels are not really on my agenda.
post #1486 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Well, I will exclude all my colleagues at Stereophile but the vast majority of my close friends and relatives have 5.1 systems. Admittedly, I have influenced many.

You have a better class of friends than I do, Kal
post #1487 of 4252
I'd love to have a 7.2 system, I only have 5.2 at this time as there is no good way to run back speakers in my system even though my pre-pro is 9.2. I'd also enjoy hearing an 11.2 system.
post #1488 of 4252
I'm running 5.6 in a manner that many consider ridiculous but entertaining. I know a handful of folks running 5.1 and I've helped most of them with their systems. I don't personally know anyone going beyond 5.1. Hell, I'm just happy to discover a stereo the first time I visit a friend's house. I'm 41 and I can almost remember when anyone who was anyone had at least a receiver and some bookshelves. We were unusual back in the early '80's running four speakers and carefully setting up our turntable. I pay homage and give thanks right now to my Dad for showing me the audio way among many other gifts. I'm in the process of setting up a turntable again and he's getting a kick out of it.
post #1489 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

I'd love to have a 7.2 system, I only have 5.2 at this time as there is no good way to run back speakers in my system even though my pre-pro is 9.2. I'd also enjoy hearing an 11.2 system.

I'm in a similar position. I just can't accommodate rear surrounds - my chairs are really close to the back wall. That is the one thing I really regret about my HT room. I have got Height speakers though and I can recommend them - they will add an additional dimension, literally, to your sound if you can find room for them.
post #1490 of 4252
I've had a few friends influenced by my 7.4 system with a 108" screen. I had one who had just purchased a htib and returned it. Some have asked for my input. Some guys have said "my wife would never allow all those speakers." I guess I'm the designated ht geek of the group.
post #1491 of 4252
After many years of ignoring my old vinyl and RTR sources, I recently decided to start enjoying my considerable collection of two channel master tapes.

I also have done an Audyssey Pro calibration and been very please with the results.

My question is: Do the analog stereo inputs go through an A/D conversion so that processing can be performed just as though they were digital sources, or is it just passed through as analog stereo? I'm really interested in having the Audyssey programming feature from my analog sources.

Also, if it does do an A/D conversion, do you know at what bit rate and sampling frequency?


Thanks,
Bob
post #1492 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Tango View Post

ed1
To check if your firmware is the latest version, go in to Setup -> Hardware Setup -> Firmware Update and check the 16 digit number. (1061-0500-0110-3101)

Thanks, Charlie. I just received a new 80.3 processor and it has different (earlier) firmware. So, I guess I will do the update procedure. Can it be done even before hooking the unit up to a TV? Can it be done via USB method without connecting the unit to an internet router? (The instructions imply not on both points.)

I wonder why new units don't have the latest firmware version pre-installed. Is there a way to find out the date of manufacturing - a sticker?
post #1493 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed1 View Post

Thanks, Charlie. I just received a new 80.3 processor and it has different (earlier) firmware. So, I guess I will do the update procedure. Can it be done even before hooking the unit up to a TV? Can it be done via USB method without connecting the unit to an internet router? (The instructions imply not on both points.)

I wonder why new units don't have the latest firmware version pre-installed. Is there a way to find out the date of manufacturing - a sticker?

Ed,

Updating the firmware was extremely easy, for me anyway; several others on this forum have had issues. I just got my 80.3 last night and it also needed a firmware update. You can update via ethernet connection or USB. I updated using the ethernet connection following the instructions in the link below from the Integra website. It says it takes about 60 mins to update but mine took no longer than 20 mins, probably closer to 15.

Updating the firmware was the first thing I did and I only made two connections, HDMI out to the TV and ethernet connection. I did also go into the network setup menu to verify an IP address had been assigned.

http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/...3659185d1a5b4f
post #1494 of 4252
ed1
You need to connect to a display. The update can be done by USB. Manufacturing date is coded in the serial number.
Get update and instuctions here: http://www.integrahometheater.com/download_firmware.cfm

USB instructions start on page 6. Follow instructions exactly and everything works fine. It should only take 10-12 minutes via USB.
post #1495 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post

After many years of ignoring my old vinyl and RTR sources, I recently decided to start enjoying my considerable collection of two channel master tapes.

I also have done an Audyssey Pro calibration and been very please with the results.

My question is: Do the analog stereo inputs go through an A/D conversion so that processing can be performed just as though they were digital sources, or is it just passed through as analog stereo? I'm really interested in having the Audyssey programming feature from my analog sources.

Also, if it does do an A/D conversion, do you know at what bit rate and sampling frequency?


Thanks,
Bob

Bob - the stereo analog inputs do go through A- D conversion IF you are NOT in Direct listening mode. I have not seen a spec on the conversion resolution, but I would be willing to bet it is at least at 96k, less likely at 192.
post #1496 of 4252
My 80.3 finally came in yesterday. I got it setup last night and had about an hour to audition. All comparisons are to my Onkyo TX-NR906 which I believe is equivalent to the DHC 9.9. I should point out that I am still using the 906 as the amplifier using the MultiCh input in Pure Audio mode. I know this is not ideal but I was a little forced (HDMI board failure in my 906) into my separates upgrade sooner than planned so I am doing it a little backwards. Hopefully I'll be able to get a dedicated amp next year. Here are my first impressions:
  1. Firmware update was extremely easy and very quick. I updated via ethernet and didn't have any issues as many have reported on this forum. It also only took 15-20 mins.
  2. Everything seems to be much quicker than my 906. Audyssey setup was much quicker. On my 906 test tone measurement took about 20 seconds per channel; this was crudely timed with a stopwatch. The 80.3 takes about 8 or 9 seconds per channel. Final calculations at the end also are much faster; about 5 minutes on the 906 compared to about 30-45 seconds on the 80.3. Overall Audyssey setup took about 35-40 minutes on my 906 vs about 20 on the 80.3 with a full 8 position measurement on a 7.1 setup. The setup menus and network streaming functions also respond much quicker.
  3. MultEq XT32 is nothing short of incredible! I spent all my listening time streaming 2 channel WAV files via ethernet and a couple songs on SACD bitstreamed from my BDP93. With my hour of listening time I don't know that I'm ready to say there is a night and day difference between XT32 and normal XT, but there is a very noticeable difference. I never thought XT on my 906 lacked detail, until I listened to the same music with XT32. There is a lot more fine detail with a bigger soundstage and tighter imaging. The soundstage also seems more separated from my speakers. Overall the soundstage is more enveloping. Bass is deeper, tighter, and much less congested than XT. XT32 also sounded brighter, though not at all harsh or fatiguing. I don't know if this is due the greater detail or if is becuase the 80.3 has the option to choose between music and movie Audyssey curves. The music curve is supposed to be flat, where the Movie curve is rolled off on the top end. The 906 only had one Audyssey curve and sounded more rolled off at the higher frequesncies. Overall first impression of XT32 on 2 channel music is extemely positive.
  4. The Integra Android remote app is AWESOME!!! I have a Harmony 890 remote, but none of Net commands are in the standard DHC 80.3 database. With the Android app, they are not needed. The Android app lets you browse and play all the music in your shared PC library. This allows me to stream my music without turning on my TV, which for me is HUGE. I have a DLP rear proj that is a little louder than I like for music listening. It isn't an issue for Movies, but the elevated noise floor gives music a washed out sound during quiet passages.

I will post more impressions once I get some more listening time in.
post #1497 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

I'd love to have a 7.2 system, I only have 5.2 at this time as there is no good way to run back speakers in my system even though my pre-pro is 9.2. I'd also enjoy hearing an 11.2 system.

I am primarily a music listener from SACD, but even with Blu-ray, I prefer the original discrete mix, avoiding synthetic extra channels. There are only something over 300 7.1 Blu-rays at this point of the thousands released. But, even with synthetic back channels added to 5 discrete ones, my opinion is that you are not missing much. Same goes for playback of 7.1 material into a 5.1 system. Mine is 7.1. Anyway, your ears are least sensitive to sounds from the rear according to scientific tests, but it's also intuitively obvious.

I do not use DSX, again preferring only discrete input material over synthetically derived extra channels. But, there is a school of thought that says you would be better off with the extra wide or the height channels of DSX than derived back channels. The ear is considerably more sensitive to frontal sound. The jury is still out on whether extra wide or height channels are more effective, though. Me, I'll just wait until we have discrete input sources for those extra channels. That may be a long wait.
post #1498 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post

your most optimal set-up (sound quality wise) would be Bitstreaming HDMI
with audyssey processing

Thanks, I realize that, but I can still make use of Audyssey by sending 2ch via anologue from the OPPO 93 to the 80.3, can I not? I will just use Stereo mode. I am doing this just for comparisons later.

Paul
post #1499 of 4252
What setting are you guys using in the [Main Menu]/[Input/output Assign] screen to pass your HDMI signal from your BD player to your TV with ABSOLUTELY NO signal manipulation?

If I understood correctly, I set [Resolution] to [Through] as per pg 49 of the manual. If I choose [Source] the output will be according to the resolution I set in the [Picture Adjust] on pg61.

This is where I am getting confused......Can I still set [Resolution] to [Through] on the [Main Menu]/[Input/output Assign] screen and still tamper with the [Picture Adjust] settings on pg61? Say if I want to tweak the signal of my Apple TV2.

Thanks

Paul
post #1500 of 4252
Quote:


Bob - the stereo analog inputs do go through A- D conversion IF you are NOT in Direct listening mode. I have not seen a spec on the conversion resolution, but I would be willing to bet it is at least at 96k, less likely at 192.

Thanks for your response. I agree that it is probably 96K, as it makes the most sense. My confusion was the result of my call to Onkyo's tech support. He told me that all Audyssey functions would still function as usual using analog inputs, but that there was no A/D conversion?!?! Obviously that is impossible, but I wish their specs gave info on this process.

Thanks,
Bob
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Integra DHC-80.3