or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Integra DHC-80.3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Integra DHC-80.3 - Page 92

post #2731 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Distributing copyright material is an offence.

as is groundless slander and defamation (note that there was nothing unflattering to the author in the e-mails alone, quite the opposite actually), and no one mentions copyright offences when a support rep's e-mails are posted online but I beg everyone to resume happier discussion of prepro operation and should there be disagreement over features, engineering topics, prices, or warranty policy please just stick to discussing the idea and not the messenger. Thank you.
post #2732 of 4252
Can we take this Anthem crap and put it in the proper forum. This does not help Integra owners at all.
post #2733 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post


as is groundless slander and defamation (note that there was nothing unflattering to the author in the e-mails alone, quite the opposite actually), and no one mentions copyright offences when a support rep's e-mails are posted online but I beg everyone to resume happier discussion of prepro operation and should there be disagreement over features, engineering topics, prices, or warranty policy please just stick to discussing the idea and not the messenger. Thank you.


I have no intention of joining your argument, nor of taking sides. I was simply pointing out a fact that may be of use to people when they are considering posting another person's emails to one or more third parties. Whether the content is flattering or not is irrelevant to breach of copyright. I agree that a support rep's emails are also copyright and the proper procedure is to either state when raising the query that one intends to publish the response or to ask permission prior to posting. There is also a "fair use" possibility, but that wouldn't apply in the case of the email exchanges posted here recently.

post #2734 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Whata a bunch of BS. Nick has helped so many of the Anthem users and people constantly comment on how helpful he is. Check the Anthem threads and see what users have to say.
John

You can check ANY thread and find positive things about anybody and everything. That really doesn't change individual experiences. Except as a tactic to silence non-conforming experiences of customers.
post #2735 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean-l View Post

You can check ANY thread and find positive things about anybody and everything. That really doesn't change individual experiences. Except as a tactic to silence non-conforming experiences of customers.

Read the emails. Now back to Integra owners and their issues.
John
post #2736 of 4252
Get back on topic guys...
post #2737 of 4252
I haven't noticed much change in the sound of my 80.3 since I got it. I did recalibrate with Audyssey a few times playing with the gain on the Seaton Cats but I think I found my sweet spot now. The sound did seem to open up a bit, but I believe that's the brand new speakers breaking in rather then the 80.3. I think it sounds very good, certainly not harsh or bright to my ears, And since I have tinnitus, I am sensitive to certain high frequency sounds. No problems at all with bright/harshness
post #2738 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

I haven't noticed much change in the sound of my 80.3 since I got it. I did recalibrate with Audyssey a few times playing with the gain on the Seaton Cats but I think I found my sweet spot now. The sound did seem to open up a bit, but I believe that's the brand new speakers breaking in rather then the 80.3. I think it sounds very good, certainly not harsh or bright to my ears, And since I have tinnitus, I am sensitive to certain high frequency sounds. No problems at all with bright/harshness

Yeah, I dont find the Integra bright for music or movies...I think it sounds brilliant to me. I had Klipsch speakers before....now they were bright! lol. Wingnut might of had a defective unit or mic....ah well, as long as he is happy. I know I am happy with my 80.3 and having compared it to the D2V.........I dont think its worth spending so much more money over the subtle performance difference. But thats my opinion smile.gif
post #2739 of 4252
I suspect that my question may have gotten lost among the Anthem posts, so I'll ask my question again.

Can someone tell me which setting causes the volume level to slowly increase when the 80.3 starts playing an audio source? For instance, when I fast forward my HDMI connected DVR and then playback begins, the audio level starts low and slowly increases up to the set level.
post #2740 of 4252
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Tobin View Post

I suspect that my question may have gotten lost among the Anthem posts, so I'll ask my question again.
Can someone tell me which setting causes the volume level to slowly increase when the 80.3 starts playing an audio source? For instance, when I fast forward my HDMI connected DVR and then playback begins, the audio level starts low and slowly increases up to the set level.

This may be the way the DVR operates; it may have nothing to do with the Integra.
post #2741 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by TL5 View Post

This may be the way the DVR operates; it may have nothing to do with the Integra.

I don't think so because my other HDMI devices (I have 5 others) operate the same way. Wonder if it came from Audyssey?

I just upgraded from a DTC 9.8 which did not have this "feature".
post #2742 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Tobin View Post


I don't think so because my other HDMI devices (I have 5 others) operate the same way. Wonder if it came from Audyssey?
I just upgraded from a DTC 9.8 which did not have this "feature".


Turn Audyssey off and see if it still happens. I very much doubt if Audyssey can be responsible though. I have not heard any other reports of this 'increasing volume' issue so it may be that you have a faulty unit.

 

The only other thing I can suggest is that you try a re-set and see if that solves it. Be aware you will lose all your settings, including Audyssey.

 

RESET Onkyo/Integra to Factory

To reset the AV receiver to its factory defaults, turn it on and, while holding down the [VCR/DVR] button, press the [ON/STANDBY] button. "Clear" will appear on the display and the AV receiver will enter Standby mode.

post #2743 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Tobin View Post

I suspect that my question may have gotten lost among the Anthem posts, so I'll ask my question again.
Can someone tell me which setting causes the volume level to slowly increase when the 80.3 starts playing an audio source? For instance, when I fast forward my HDMI connected DVR and then playback begins, the audio level starts low and slowly increases up to the set level.

Mine does not do this. Do you have any of the dynamic range compression features turned on? Perhaps that is turning up the volume on quiet sources?

-james
post #2744 of 4252
Hi Ron, make sure that dolby volume or dynamic volume and dynamic EQ are OFF..... this sometimes affects the audio on quiter passages.

Paul
post #2745 of 4252
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post

Hi Ron, make sure that dolby volume or dynamic volume and dynamic EQ are OFF..... this sometimes affects the audio on quiter passages.
Paul

I found it. Under Audyssey, I turned off Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume and the audio is now normal. Actually on the Integra display, beneath the Audyssey indication, it also displayed dynamic EQ and volume. I turned it off for all of the sources. Didn't care for it.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and comments.
post #2746 of 4252
Hi Guys I have been going back and forth between the Integra and the Anthem D2V. I posted the following in the Anthem forum but as I see it the Anthem has some significant drawbacks when compared to the Integra:


1. The D2V is three times as expensive as the 5508.
2. Does the D2V have any type of networking or the ability to stream music? I assume you would have to buy a dedicated music server with the D2V whereas you would not if you owned the 5508. Am I correct?
3. The D2V only EQs one sub correct? I know that Audyssey can EQ dual subs.
4. The firmware upgrade process on the D2V is a pain.
5. The interface on the D2V is old school compared to the 5508.
6. The D2V does not handle SACD natively, correct? In other words an SACD signal is converted to PCM. By converting the signal to PCM first do you not lose the advantage of the higher bit rate of SACDs defeating the point of an SACD?
7. My number once concern is the D3. I read some posts going back nearly a year talking about the D3. Is the D2V about to be replaced by the D3? I'd hate to pay this much only to fork out several thousand more for the D3? What's the scoop on the next model?

Lastly, perhaps nothing more than an academic concern, the Onkyo 5508 measure better in terms of distortion, SNR, channel seperation, etc. according to HT Magazine.


Have any of your debated between purchasing these two processors? What made you go with the Integra/Onkyo over the Anthem? I may be missing something but right now I can't seem to find a single advantage of going with the D2V even though I can get it at a great price. The D2V is upgradeable however for the cost of the upgrades I could buy a NEW Integra every year and still have money left over.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or feedback. I really can't decide which one would be better!

-Brian
post #2747 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Tobin View Post


I found it. Under Audyssey, I turned off Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume and the audio is now normal. Actually on the Integra display, beneath the Audyssey indication, it also displayed dynamic EQ and volume. I turned it off for all of the sources. Didn't care for it.
Thanks for everyone's thoughts and comments.


Hi - Neither DEQ nor DV cause the volume to 'slowly increase when the 80.3 starts playing a source'. Dynamic Volume will increase and decrease the loudness of certain passages as it attempts to 'smooth out' the ratio between loud and soft passages. It may have been this that you were hearing given your comments above. Dynamic EQ is a totally different thing and you may care to experiment by turning that back on - most people prefer what it does (it does not raise the volume).  For an explanation of the two functions, see the Audyssey FAQ, here:

 

g)1. What is Dynamic Volume?
g)2. What is Dynamic EQ?
g)4. What's the difference between Dynamic Volume, Dynamic EQ & Reference Level Offset?

post #2748 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bghead8che View Post

Hi Guys I have been going back and forth between the Integra and the Anthem D2V. I posted the following in the Anthem forum but as I see it the Anthem has some significant drawbacks when compared to the Integra:
1. The D2V is three times as expensive as the 5508.
2. Does the D2V have any type of networking or the ability to stream music? I assume you would have to buy a dedicated music server with the D2V whereas you would not if you owned the 5508. Am I correct?
3. The D2V only EQs one sub correct? I know that Audyssey can EQ dual subs.
4. The firmware upgrade process on the D2V is a pain.
5. The interface on the D2V is old school compared to the 5508.
6. The D2V does not handle SACD natively, correct? In other words an SACD signal is converted to PCM. By converting the signal to PCM first do you not lose the advantage of the higher bit rate of SACDs defeating the point of an SACD?
7. My number once concern is the D3. I read some posts going back nearly a year talking about the D3. Is the D2V about to be replaced by the D3? I'd hate to pay this much only to fork out several thousand more for the D3? What's the scoop on the next model?
Lastly, perhaps nothing more than an academic concern, the Onkyo 5508 measure better in terms of distortion, SNR, channel seperation, etc. according to HT Magazine.
Have any of your debated between purchasing these two processors? What made you go with the Integra/Onkyo over the Anthem? I may be missing something but right now I can't seem to find a single advantage of going with the D2V even though I can get it at a great price. The D2V is upgradeable however for the cost of the upgrades I could buy a NEW Integra every year and still have money left over.
I'd appreciate any thoughts or feedback. I really can't decide which one would be better!
-Brian


Brian - the differences between modern electronics of a given spec or quality level are subtle at best. Far more subtle than, say, room treatments or speakers make. Given that the Anthem is three times the price of the Integra, to me this makes the choice a no-brainer but of course YMMV as may that of others. For the difference in price you could add treatments to your room, or upgrade your speakers or your sub, or add a second sub, or buy Audyssey Pro kit - all of which will make a far bigger audible difference IMO than any difference you will hear between electronics. The other things you mention above are the icing on the cake.

 

Note I am not saying there is no difference at all in AQ between the Anthem and the Integra - but that the differences will be small. Some prefer the Integra's sound, others prefer the Anthem's sound. That fact in itself tells you that the differences are small. If they were 'night and day' everyone would prefer one or the other.

 

I hope these remarks help you make your choice. Personally, I would know for sure which way to jump here - but you are right in taking the time to compare and consider. Good luck with it, whichever way you go.

post #2749 of 4252
yep
post #2750 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bghead8che View Post

Hi Guys I have been going back and forth between the Integra and the Anthem D2V. I posted the following in the Anthem forum but as I see it the Anthem has some significant drawbacks when compared to the Integra:
1. The D2V is three times as expensive as the 5508.
2. Does the D2V have any type of networking or the ability to stream music? I assume you would have to buy a dedicated music server with the D2V whereas you would not if you owned the 5508. Am I correct?
3. The D2V only EQs one sub correct? I know that Audyssey can EQ dual subs.
4. The firmware upgrade process on the D2V is a pain.
5. The interface on the D2V is old school compared to the 5508.
6. The D2V does not handle SACD natively, correct? In other words an SACD signal is converted to PCM. By converting the signal to PCM first do you not lose the advantage of the higher bit rate of SACDs defeating the point of an SACD?
7. My number once concern is the D3. I read some posts going back nearly a year talking about the D3. Is the D2V about to be replaced by the D3? I'd hate to pay this much only to fork out several thousand more for the D3? What's the scoop on the next model?
Lastly, perhaps nothing more than an academic concern, the Onkyo 5508 measure better in terms of distortion, SNR, channel seperation, etc. according to HT Magazine.
Have any of your debated between purchasing these two processors? What made you go with the Integra/Onkyo over the Anthem? I may be missing something but right now I can't seem to find a single advantage of going with the D2V even though I can get it at a great price. The D2V is upgradeable however for the cost of the upgrades I could buy a NEW Integra every year and still have money left over.
I'd appreciate any thoughts or feedback. I really can't decide which one would be better!
-Brian

As I have posted several times in this thread, a D2V was found a couple of years ago to be insignificantly different in sound quality to a Pro calibrated 9.8 by two D2V owners and myself. That was with classical Mch SACD's. By all means, search for my previous posts.

The 80.3 is significantly better sounding than the 9.8 was. So, I conclude that the 80.3 would sound better via digital inputs in a side by side comparison. I do think the D2V has an advantage - not a huge one - on analog inputs. But, you are quite right that in terms of other features, the Integra/ Onkyo has the advantage, not to mention price.

With regard to accepting DSD, you are correct that the Anthem does not handle that natively. But, that is not a big deal, because the 80.3 must convert to PCM for Audyssey, bass management and speaker distance correction anyway. So, with the Anthem, the player does the conversion instead. With a Oppo player, I find having the Integra do the conversion does sound noticeably better than the Oppo's conversion, however.

But, except for the remaining uncertainty about not having heard the two side by side, I think you have an excellent understanding of the differences between the two. I have frequent listening experience to my friends' D2V's and they to my own and another friend's Integra based systems. The Pro calibrated Integra systems in question are every bit as good sounding, if not better than the Anthem systems. The Integra owners who have heard these systems have no regrets whatsoever and have absolutely no desire to "upgrade" to an Anthem.

The Anthem is good. But, even if I had the money to blow on it, I would not, personally, do it. So, I suggest you just pull the trigger on an Integra or Onkyo and get Audyssey Pro. You will not be disappointed in the least.
post #2751 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcaraldo215 View Post

The Integra owners who have heard these systems have no regrets whatsoever and have absolutely no desire to "upgrade" to an Anthem.
The Anthem is good. But, even if I had the money to blow on it, I would not, personally, do it. So, I suggest you just pull the trigger on an Integra or Onkyo and get Audyssey Pro. You will not be disappointed in the least.

I wouldn't necessarily state that you need to add Audyssey PRO to the 80.3. IMO XT32 handled my setup quite nicely and did so easier and did a better job then Anthems ARC on the D2v...

There was no question in my mind I made the right decision replacing the D2v with the 80.3.

One thing that always bothered me was the issues I had with the D2v's awful HDMI connectors. There is not one single piece of equipment on the market that I have ever owned that didn't just allow one to push an HDMI cable in and have it not seat and lock in properly. On the D2v this was always an issue. If a HDMI cable wasn't propped up in the right way and had perfect alignment or it got bumped, you would get all sorts of pink screens and would have to go back there and mess with it and them Reboot it and hope you got it right, as it can swing side to side and in and out of alignment..... Everything else on the market automatically renews the handshake if the HDMI cable is removed, not Anthems. I had to use zip ties or cable wraps to make sure all those HDMI cables would have proper alignment... REALLY ? Anthem pans this off as normal.... sorry charlie - that just shows poor implementation to me...

I liked the D2v, when it was working right - attempting to upgrade the firmware on the D2v bricked my unit.... I had to send it back - which Anthem handled very respectively, but I was out my unit for 2-3 weeks.... They felt to me to just be finicky units and needed to be handled with kid gloves. No Internet downloaded firmware upgrades seems extremely 1990s. 80.3 - if the firmware upgrade has an issue you can do a hard reset, and start over - sure you lose any setting you had but you certainly don't have to pack it up and ship it out...

Full network remote control via Iphone or Android app is awesome on the 80.3...

These type of processors change so quickly from year to year - I already felt that it was getting obsolete after owning for 2 years and I wanted to get my money out of it before it was too late. Getting what I paid for the unit because prices went up so drastically on the product was awesome... When the 80.3 came out with XT32, I knew it was time to make the move and was well worth it for me..... I hate DRAMA...

You can get alot of nice external amp for the difference in price of the D2v and 80.3....
Edited by Warpdrv - 7/20/12 at 12:27pm
post #2752 of 4252
I'm curious.... why did you feel the unit was becoming obsolete? They are pretty good about upgrades.

I got a smoking deal on the D2V and A5.... $5700 shipped, NIB. I had to bite today or the deal was gone. I still don't know wither I am going to keep the unit, get the Onkyo/Integra, or sell the unit for profit. I agree with others... the Anthem seems rough around the edges if you know what I mean.

-Brian
post #2753 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post


Hi - Neither DEQ nor DV cause the volume to 'slowly increase when the 80.3 starts playing a source'. Dynamic Volume will increase and decrease the loudness of certain passages as it attempts to 'smooth out' the ratio between loud and soft passages. It may have been this that you were hearing given your comments above. Dynamic EQ is a totally different thing and you may care to experiment by turning that back on - most people prefer what it does (it does not raise the volume).  For an explanation of the two functions, see the Audyssey FAQ, here:

g)1. What is Dynamic Volume?
g)2. What is Dynamic EQ?
g)4. What's the difference between Dynamic Volume, Dynamic EQ & Reference Level Offset?

I turned Dynamic EQ back on. It is Dynamic Volume, when set to Low, that is most pronounced in increasing the volume at the start of playing a source. Medium is less and Heavy is even less. Now that I understand the purpose of this compression setting I have settled on Medium.

Thanks for your help.
post #2754 of 4252
I only felt that way with all the newer products coming out utilizing today technology - the D2v having such an antiquated method to upgrading the firmware....
No way to utilize access and control via my Android, which was important to my needs. The 80.3 is already upscaling to 4K, I haven't been paying attention, but I don't think the D2v will be going that route, I could be mistaken.... I haven't been in that thread for a while....

I wouldn't buy a unit to stream media, and thats not what I have ever used - always has and will be a PC streaming via XBMC.... I would never buy a unit for based on that BTW

I honestly don't think they can or will upgrade this product any further then they already have hardware wise (would it be worth it for what they will charge). Firmware updates are coming all the time - mostly because an owner has found a glitch with a certain piece of equipment and they fix the problem and as they add it to the firmware - they say there is an upgrade... they aren't changing the hardware. Anthem was fixing the unit that was released a few years ago all along the way.... Anthem does address problems but they are not really upgrading here, just addressing issues IMO.... As I said - its a good unit with great performance still to this day, will be falling behind quickly IMO...

YMMV, but I've been in the game for quite some time and making the switch - the 80.3 just works all the time, no having to head to the forum to ask questions as to why this and that...
post #2755 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

I wouldn't necessarily state that you need to add Audyssey PRO to the 80.3. IMO XT32 handled my setup quite nicely and did so easier and did a better job then Anthems ARC on the D2v....



I don't think I said you need to add Pro. I do think that anyone interested in the very best sound quality from the Integra should get it, though. I find it well worth the $700 or so the kit and license costs. It refines and improves on the sonic advantages of XT/32, delivers a more accurate calibration due to the better mike, provides some control over the target curve, allows for saving and restoring prior calibrations, etc.

I believe I will be using Audyssey for a long, long time. I think it will evolve and remain one of the leading EQ packages for a very long time into the future. I have used Pro now on my third prepro, so it was a good long term investment for me, in each case noticeably improving sound quality over stock Audyssey XT or XT/32.
post #2756 of 4252
Wasn't jumpin on ya there buddy..... smile.gif Just pointing out to the people that are on the fence that XT32 is pretty darn good out of the gate and it isn't completely necessary for the average joe - but if your a tweaker and want to go to the next length of sound refinement - its certainly there to add assistance.....

For many people the 80.3 is already a stretch in funding, just didn't want people to shy away from an already great product thinking - "oh great I have to get PRO to make this any good... "
post #2757 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Wasn't jumpin on ya there buddy..... smile.gif Just pointing out to the people that are on the fence that XT32 is pretty darn good out of the gate and it isn't completely necessary for the average joe - but if your a tweaker and want to go to the next length of sound refinement - its certainly there to add assistance.....
For many people the 80.3 is already a stretch in funding, just didn't want people to shy away from an already great product thinking - "oh great I have to get PRO to make this any good... "

Good point re the financial aspect. I find the 80.3 does what I need it to do without the Pro Kit assist but then, my room has extensive treatments. XT32 on it's own does a great job on the subwoofer channel(s). Audyssey Pro does add an element of proactive tweaking capability but IMHO and considering a relatively large listening area (seven seats), the performance delta of the additional resolution and + or - 3db filters is negligible. (please note the IMHO part wink.gif)
post #2758 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Tobin View Post


I turned Dynamic EQ back on. It is Dynamic Volume, when set to Low, that is most pronounced in increasing the volume at the start of playing a source. Medium is less and Heavy is even less. Now that I understand the purpose of this compression setting I have settled on Medium.
Thanks for your help.


You're welcome, Ron. Enjoy!

post #2759 of 4252
I have been lurking in this thread as I try to come to a conclusion about purchasing the Integra 80.3 or the Athem Statement, so the last serveral posts very helpful.

My question is, I thought the 80.3 had Audyssey Pro, and it was a more advance room correction system then the 40.3 offered, but there is mention about purchasing it. Can someone explain how you purchase the "Pro kit" and how it is intergrated into the processor? I now see there is an Audyssey Multi EQ Pro, but I assume that is something different.. Thanks in advance for your help
post #2760 of 4252
Can someone PM me to tell me what would be a resonable price range to pay for the DHC- 80.3 at this point in the year? I already know the MSRP is $2600, but want some wiggle room to neigotiate with a seller.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Integra DHC-80.3