or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Integra DHC-80.3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Integra DHC-80.3 - Page 12

post #331 of 4252
Also, before the Dhc 80.2 which did the exact same thing i had an integra TX DS939 reciever and i never had that problem with it (the same subs were used with it).
post #332 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckytech View Post

Sorry for the delayed response, i've been out of town. I don't think its a ground loop problem. I grounded the processor and it didn't make any difference. The hum is very low and i only hear it when i turn off the processor, never when it is on. The funny thing is i can unplug the rca cables long enough for the sub's amps to auto power off and plug the cable back up and it won't turn the sub amps back on until i power up the processor again, i'm stumped?????

It clearly is a grounding problem. With XLR's most of us do not have similar problems, except for one thing. If you use cable, I assume you are coming out of that via HDMI into the prepro. If not (i.e., component video/audio), it may be coming from there, and you need a "ground trap" in front of the cable box. First, disconnect that from the prepro and see what happens. Satellite or HDMI connections from cable should not cause the issue, only RCA's.

Unless it still happens with no inputs connected to the prepro, check other input connections to the prepro one at a time. Also, I doubt it will do any good, but try reversing the unbalanced RCA connection cable to the sub. You might also try running a piece of zip cord between prepro and sub chassis to chassis. You might also try sub and prepro from the same electrical outlet or, as a last resort, "lifting" the AC ground for the sub, if it's 3-prong, with a "cheater" plug.

Actually, the true last resort is get a new sub, preferably one with XLR input.

Careful. Don't electrocute yourself.
post #333 of 4252
Yes, i'm using hdmi for all of my connections. as for the subs, they are built in to my Definitive Tech Bp7001Sc front speakers so i would rather not have to replace them. Like i said it's not an issue what so ever while i'm using my system, just when i turn it off. The hum is just barely noticable but i don't like to have my sub amps stay on 24-7 if i'm not using them.
post #334 of 4252
I'll probably be picking up the DHC-80.3 shortly. Curious whether it's worth using my Velodyne SMS-1 in addition to the onboard audyssey? I'm setting everything up in a new house, so I have no idea how difficult the room will be to tame.

Edit: Did pick up the 80.3, but have to wait for the A/V cabinet to show up to actually hook it up.

-james
post #335 of 4252
Can the 80.3 do an 11.2 setup for Audessey DSX with all 11 channels running at once or only 9.2 channels at the same time?

I ask this for i have noticed that the Marantz AV7005 has Audessey DSX processing and has the 11.2 channel inputs but can only run 7.1 channels at any one time and only allowing heights OR wides, not both. If either heights or wides are selected then the rear surrounds are shut down.

Needing a pre/pro that will do all 11.2 channels simultaneously and was hoping this new Integra is capable of doing this.
post #336 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian13 View Post

Can the 80.3 do an 11.2 setup for Audessey DSX with all 11 channels running at once or only 9.2 channels at the same time?

I ask this for i have noticed that the Marantz AV7005 has Audessey DSX processing and has the 11.2 channel inputs but can only run 7.1 channels at any one time and only allowing heights OR wides, not both. If either heights or wides are selected then the rear surrounds are shut down.

Needing a pre/pro that will do all 11.2 channels simultaneously and was hoping this new Integra is capable of doing this.

No.

There is one choice at this point for 11.2. .

The Denon 4311.

These are 9.2.
post #337 of 4252
Thanks for your reply and i had a feeling that might be the answer.

Well looks like i will have to wait until another manufacturer decides to release an 11.2 Pre/Pro, no disrespect to anyone who has a Denon but i (and please notice i said i) just do not like the sound they produce.

And i did do some searching yesterday and found out that Lexicon is releasing a 12.4 Pre/pro but not with Audessey DSX and costing somewhere around 14K.
Too steep for me.

Oh well, back to waiting.
post #338 of 4252
The Integra 80.3 is an amazing component and since I added it to my set up my sound in my theater has never been better!
post #339 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

The Integra 80.3 is an amazing component and since I added it to my set up my sound in my theater has never been better!

Are you using 9.2?? If so, which '2-of-3' combination front-wide, front-height, back surround??
post #340 of 4252
Does the 80.3 offer stereo subwoofer output via the two subwoofer outputs?

I have looked for this information. However, i have been unsuccessful...

Thank you.
post #341 of 4252
Not stereo. It is the .1 channel and routed bass from all of the non-large main speakers.
post #342 of 4252
So, dual mono subwoofer outs then.... grr... Ok, thank you pepar
It doesn't seem like anyone is offering stereo sub outputs...
post #343 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakkon View Post

So, dual mono subwoofer outs then.... grr... Ok, thank you pepar
It doesn't seem like anyone is offering stereo sub outputs...

The Denon AVP has stereo sub outs (it actually has 3 discrete sub outputs.)
post #344 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakkon View Post

So, dual mono subwoofer outs then.... grr... Ok, thank you pepar
It doesn't seem like anyone is offering stereo sub outputs...

dakkon, you do know, don't you, that the frequencies being reproduced by the subwoofer channel are non-directional and non-localizable? That is the what allows bass management to work ... lower frequencies are filtered from the main channels and sent to the sub channel ... and we never know the difference. You cannot hear stereo subs because of this.

I will say that in a fairly well-matched system with Audyssey MultEQ XT 32, the integration of the LCR with the surrounds and the main channels, in general, with the subwoofer channel is soooo good, that it does produce very directional sounds with LF content even though that LF content is being reproduced by subs which are one single channel.

The scene I use to illustrate that is the the cave escape sequence from Iron Man. In this sequence, Stark's assistant "buys him time" by running out of the room with the automatic weapon. On my system, the weapon's sound pans smoothly .. and completely "as a whole" from right surround to front as he enters the scene from the right. That weapon has a sharp, percussive attack and a big, fat resonant bottom end that is absolutely being reproduced by my subs (two collocated in the front and two collocated in the rear). But yet the illusion is of the entire, "unbroken" single sound of the machine gun running around the room.

Jeff
post #345 of 4252
What amps are you all using this with? Anyone running emotiva with this? Appreciate pm's with prices you all paid on the DHC so I know what to expect. Thanks
post #346 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkit View Post

What amps are you all using this with? Anyone running emotiva with this? Appreciate pm's with prices you all paid on the DHC so I know what to expect. Thanks

I'm using an Emotiva XPA-3 for the FL, C, FR and two Emotivaa UPA-2s for the Height and Surround channels (with my Onkyo 5509). I am delighted with the pre-pro and amps in this combination.
post #347 of 4252
I'm looking for a New Remote control for my 80.3. I currently have the old CHAD remote that came with my 9.4. I want to eventually control a second zone from that room(RF or wifi) I do want to be able to see feed back from the remote. I have seen the Crestron remotes, that would be ideal but can't spend 2K on a remote system! I do have an iPhone and am considering a tablet/iPad that can be the master remote. I don't need the remote to control my HAVC system or my security either but that would be a nice perk!!!!! Anyone have suggestions, on a brand or platform.
post #348 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by op76 View Post

I'm looking for a New Remote control for my 80.3. I currently have the old CHAD remote that came with my 9.4. I want to eventually control a second zone from that room(RF or wifi) I do want to be able to see feed back from the remote. I have seen the Crestron remotes, that would be ideal but can't spend 2K on a remote system! I do have an iPhone and am considering a tablet/iPad that can be the master remote. I don't need the remote to control my HAVC system or my security either but that would be a nice perk!!!!! Anyone have suggestions, on a brand or platform.

I love oRemote for the iPad (works with iPhone also...)

You can also get different apps specific to your needs... IMO, its the way to go and is useful for so much more.
post #349 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

I love oRemote for the iPad (works with iPhone also...)

You can also get different apps specific to your needs... IMO, its the way to go and is useful for so much more.

I must be missing something with these iPhone remote control apps. I tried one and this is what I had to do to change the volume setting:

Press the Home button to turn the iPhone 'on'.
Slide the slider to unlock the phone.
Enter my passcode.
Open the app if it had already been 'replaced' by another app.
Set the volume.

It all seems like too much effort to me. And if I kept the iPhone on so that the lock screen didn't come up, then the battery would drain too fast. I can't see how it is better than the Harmony 1100 I use - the same sequence there is:

Press the volume control.

What am I missing?
post #350 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post


What am I missing?

The retina display.
post #351 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

The retina display.

I love my iPhone and my iPad, but I just can't see that they make good remotes.
post #352 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I love my iPhone and my iPad, but I just can't see that they make good remotes.

I agree... I use a Harmony One and an ir to z-wave bridge to control all of my home automation stuff from the same remote
post #353 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post


I must be missing something with these iPhone remote control apps. I tried one and this is what I had to do to change the volume setting:

Press the Home button to turn the iPhone 'on'.
Slide the slider to unlock the phone.
Enter my passcode.
Open the app if it had already been 'replaced' by another app.
Set the volume.

It all seems like too much effort to me. And if I kept the iPhone on so that the lock screen didn't come up, then the battery would drain too fast. I can't see how it is better than the Harmony 1100 I use - the same sequence there is:

Press the volume control.

What am I missing?

You can skip the below step by setting passcode lock to off in settings

Slide the slider to unlock the phone.
Enter my passcode.
post #354 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike9876 View Post

You can skip the below step by setting passcode lock to off in settings

Slide the slider to unlock the phone.
Enter my passcode.

But then I would have to reset the passcode lock every time I wanted to use the iPhone as, well, a phone! I think phones make great phones and remotes make great remotes.
post #355 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post


But then I would have to reset the passcode lock every time I wanted to use the iPhone as, well, a phone! I think phones make great phones and remotes make great remotes.

I don't use my phone. I use the iPad for it.

If you want two way control, without line of sight, with plenty of other utility, I think it's hard to beat for the price.

Mind you, I don't sit there and fiddle with the volume when I watch a film or show. I don't find it inconvenient at all.

Just my .02. .
post #356 of 4252
can someone post a list of differences between the 80.2 and 80.3?
post #357 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

I don't use my phone. I use the iPad for it.

If you want two way control, without line of sight, with plenty of other utility, I think it's hard to beat for the price.

Yes, I agree - the iPad makes a better job of it than the iPhone. I have used the iPad to control my HTPC using Plex as the front end and it works quite nicely - but it's much more than a remote control when used that way - it allows me to browse the movie library for example and to select a movie directly from the iPad and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Mind you, I don't sit there and fiddle with the volume when I watch a film or show. I don't find it inconvenient at all.

That's a good point - neither do I, unless I'm interrupted by something and need to pause it or something. Although I hate having to do that - movies should be watched from beginning to end IMO and all necessary adjustments should be made before pressing Play (or very soon after). I will revisit the iPad app for Onkyo.
post #358 of 4252
I just got a quote from pretty much the only integra dealer around here. My quote was 3K tax in CDN. It's a bit high but seems to be on par from what other CDN dealers are offering as far as I can tell. I hate not being able to get really good cost deals on things. I'm that guy who has a hookup for everything under the sun....... Everything but integra lol. If Onkyo would just get the 5509 over here, I'd be able to get it for $1600 but it doesn't look like it will happen
post #359 of 4252
What is the difference between the DHC 80.3 and the PR-SC5509? Besides brand and availability.
post #360 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkit View Post

What is the difference between the DHC 80.3 and the PR-SC5509? Besides brand and availability.

Other than the Integra having a 1 year longer warranty than the Onkyo, they are pretty much the exact same thing except for their outer appearance. Some people like the looks of the Integra, while others prefer the Onkyo. But seeing as the PR-SC5509 appears to look like it may not even be made available for sale in the US, and probably Canada as well. Then people in North America likely do not have a choice in choosing the Onkyo.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Integra DHC-80.3