or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Integra DHC-80.3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Integra DHC-80.3 - Page 122

post #3631 of 4252
I would like to have some input for the best match up for my 80.3 with a multi channel amp. I have narrowed my choices down to the outlaw 7700,acurus a2007 or the integra dta 70.1. I would love to purchase the McIntosh mc207 but I don't want to have to remortgage the house.
post #3632 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattnut View Post

I would like to have some input for the best match up for my 80.3 with a multi channel amp. I have narrowed my choices down to the outlaw 7700,acurus a2007 or the integra dta 70.1. I would love to purchase the McIntosh mc207 but I don't want to have to remortgage the house.

 

Have you considered Emotiva?  Terrific amps, terrific value. I use three of them with my Onkyo 5509 (same unit as yours in reality). 

post #3633 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattnut View Post

I would like to have some input for the best match up for my 80.3 with a multi channel amp. I have narrowed my choices down to the outlaw 7700,acurus a2007 or the integra dta 70.1. I would love to purchase the McIntosh mc207 but I don't want to have to remortgage the house.

Match your amp choice to your speakers, first.

post #3634 of 4252
I have a question about streaming FLACs on the 80.3. According to the manual FLACs are supported up to sampling rates of 96khz. Has anyone ever tried streaming FLACs with higher sampling rates?
post #3635 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Match your amp choice to your speakers, first.

The speakers are 92% in room efficient. They are rated for 25 min. to 300 max. with peaks to 500 watts.

The room is 2700 cu. ft. With carpet, cloth furniture and some wall reflection treatments (bass traps are TBD).

Listening levels are near reference but mostly below most of the time.

Preferences are Music 70% with HT 30%....no gaming and very little network TV watching.

The equipment will be housed in a Mid Atlantic rack which will be housed in a small closet adjacent to the room with the equipment facing and accessible from the media room.

Other equipment in the rack so far:
Oppo 103
Dishnetwork Hopper
Control 4 Media Controller
Control 4 8X8 Distribution Amp
Control 4 4X4 Distribution Amp
Integra DHC-80.3
24 Port Gigahertz Router Port with Router


Space is limited somewhat so I am looking for the biggest bang for the space and the more cost effective solution. I feel the Emotiva XPA-5 (Two of them) would take up too much space and weight allowance for the rack.

My first choice based on space would be the Integra 70.1 but I am a bit put off by some of the reviews it has received (3 that I can find).

The other option is the Outlaw 770 with a pair of M2200 monoblocks. Less space than the Emotivas but more expensive.

What else?
post #3636 of 4252
So you are looking for 9 channels of amplification? I would recommend an ATI AT3005 and an ATI AT2004. Of course you could get an ATI AT3003 and Outlaw 7700 and not use one channel.
post #3637 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

So you are looking for 9 channels of amplification? I would recommend an ATI AT3005 and an ATI AT2004. Of course you could get an ATI AT3003 and Outlaw 7700 and not use one channel.

I believe that combination would be more than the 7700 and M2200's. While I agree ATI amps have a great name and in fact make the Outlaw unit, I am trying to keep my total cost of 9 channels of amplification below $3000 which is actually above what I want to spend.

Thanks for the suggestion though...I am still considering all reasonable options.
post #3638 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR1952 View Post


The speakers are 92% in room efficient. They are rated for 25 min. to 300 max. with peaks to 500 watts.

The room is 2700 cu. ft. With carpet, cloth furniture and some wall reflection treatments (bass traps are TBD).

Listening levels are near reference but mostly below most of the time.

Preferences are Music 70% with HT 30%....no gaming and very little network TV watching.

The equipment will be housed in a Mid Atlantic rack which will be housed in a small closet adjacent to the room with the equipment facing and accessible from the media room.

Other equipment in the rack so far:
Oppo 103
Dishnetwork Hopper
Control 4 Media Controller
Control 4 8X8 Distribution Amp
Control 4 4X4 Distribution Amp
Integra DHC-80.3
24 Port Gigahertz Router Port with Router


Space is limited somewhat so I am looking for the biggest bang for the space and the more cost effective solution. I feel the Emotiva XPA-5 (Two of them) would take up too much space and weight allowance for the rack.

My first choice based on space would be the Integra 70.1 but I am a bit put off by some of the reviews it has received (3 that I can find).

The other option is the Outlaw 770 with a pair of M2200 monoblocks. Less space than the Emotivas but more expensive.

What else?

1.  Your power needs are not huge with 92dB efficient speakers in a modest-sized room.  (Mine is only a bit larger.)

2.  What speakers are they?  Their specific characteristics are the important variables.

post #3639 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

1.  Your power needs are not huge with 92dB efficient speakers in a modest-sized room.  (Mine is only a bit larger.)
2.  What speakers are they?  Their specific characteristics are the important variables.

Ascend Acoustics all:
L/R Towers with RAAL ribbons, Center Horizon with RAAL ribbon, front wides Sierra-1, Nrt, side and rear surrounds, HTM 200SE.
Powered Rythmic 12 (will add another one if needed later.
post #3640 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR1952 View Post


Ascend Acoustics all:
L/R Towers with RAAL ribbons, Center Horizon with RAAL ribbon, front wides Sierra-1, Nrt, side and rear surrounds, HTM 200SE.
Powered Rythmic 12 (will add another one if needed later.

Well, you got me there.  I have not heard these and I was not able to find any decent descriptive reviews.  

post #3641 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Well, you got me there.  I have not heard these and I was not able to find any decent descriptive reviews.  

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/horizon/horizon.html
post #3642 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Well, you got me there.  I have not heard these and I was not able to find any decent descriptive reviews.  

 

 I have not heard these and I was not able to find any decent descriptive reviews.

post #3643 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

 I have not heard these and I was not able to find any decent descriptive reviews.

How about technical measurements:
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRT/srtmeas.html
post #3644 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR1952 View Post


How about technical measurements:
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRT/srtmeas.html

I saw those and I can infer somethings about how they might sound.  For example, their flat, extended HF and wide dispersion would make me wary of brighter amps (and low ceilings) but I was looking for a qualitative (subjective) description of the sound, particularly in comparison to something I do know.

post #3645 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I saw those and I can infer somethings about how they might sound.  For example, their flat, extended HF and wide dispersion would make me wary of brighter amps (and low ceilings) but I was looking for a qualitative (subjective) description of the sound, particularly in comparison to something I do know.

Ok, how about this review?
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0312/sierra_tower_speaker.htm
post #3646 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

 

 I have not heard these and I was not able to find any decent descriptive reviews.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR1952 View Post


Ok, how about this review?
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0312/sierra_tower_speaker.htm

That's the one I had in mind.  wink.gif

post #3647 of 4252
Hi Kal, BTW, nice review on the Marantz AV8801 pre amp. I gathered that you prefer the overall sound slightly better over your 80.2.

Curious, what really made you replace the 80.2 with the AV8801? I own the Integra 80.3, as per your PERSONAL recommendation.

Thanks

Paul
post #3648 of 4252
I have the weirdest problem with my 80.2 Integra. I've come to notice that when I play source material (mostly concerts) that are in the digital domain, i.e, Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS - MA, or Dolby TrueHD, for example, my system plays as loud as I want it to. That means up to and past Reference Level if I choose ( if it's clean, I like it LOUD). But I've noticed that on some sources that appear to be analog stereo, or maybe even digital stereo only sources, there is a strange "lack of volume" problem. Since they are stereo, my 80.2 switches to whatever I've preselected as the default mode, probably Neo6 Music or Dolby PLII Music. So the first thing I notice is that the sound output from the system is noticeably lower. When I attempt to turn it up louder, the volume increases smoothly up until I hit hte 82dB "reference level", and then after that, even though the display numbers on the screen go higher and higher as I continue to increase the volume, the volume DOES NOT increase at all after going past reference level.

Now I've been in the audio/hi-fi business for well over 40 years, and this makes NO sense to me whatsoever! If the audio level coming into the 80.2 is xxx millivolts, it should continue to get louder and louder until it says "Max" on the screen. I'm completely perplexed at this point. I'm looking for ideas from the experts on this board.

Remember, this only appears to happen with NON- DD, DTS, DTS-MA, DTHD sources. It happens on ones that trigger the various "surround modes" on the preamp. This is happening even though all my audio connections to the preamp are in the digital domain: HDMI only from the Oppo 93 DVD, and Toslink from the Dish 622 DVR.

Thanks in advance,

AwardB
post #3649 of 4252
I am having a problem with my 80.3 with the monitor out not working when it had been working for the past 3 months. I plug it into the sub out and it works fine. I tried switching the HDMI cables and no difference. I went into the menu and changed it to the different options from Both/Main/Sub etc and no change. I have heard that unplugging the unit for 5 minutes might help and if that doesn't work I plan on doing a factory reset. Before I do any of this I wanted to take advantage of your experience to ensure I am going down the right road.
post #3650 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by velesmj View Post

I am having a problem with my 80.3 with the monitor out not working when it had been working for the past 3 months. I plug it into the sub out and it works fine. I tried switching the HDMI cables and no difference. I went into the menu and changed it to the different options from Both/Main/Sub etc and no change. I have heard that unplugging the unit for 5 minutes might help and if that doesn't work I plan on doing a factory reset. Before I do any of this I wanted to take advantage of your experience to ensure I am going down the right road.
my 80.3 will lose the audio in the pass through mode if I don't use it for a couple of days and unplugging it for just 10 seconds re boots the unit and its back to normal without losing any of my settings like a factory reset would cause.do you ever hear a popping noise in your surround speakers when the audio changes from 2.0 to 5.1?
post #3651 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattnut View Post

my 80.3 will lose the audio in the pass through mode if I don't use it for a couple of days and unplugging it for just 10 seconds re boots the unit and its back to normal without losing any of my settings like a factory reset would cause.do you ever hear a popping noise in your surround speakers when the audio changes from 2.0 to 5.1?

I didn't really notice. It does click when I change from different sources and there is a 3-4 second delay before the sound comes on. I will check when I go home tonight to see if it clicks from 2.0 to 5.1.

Thanks for your response.
post #3652 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by velesmj View Post

I didn't really notice. It does click when I change from different sources and there is a 3-4 second delay before the sound comes on. I will check when I go home tonight to see if it clicks from 2.0 to 5.1.

Thanks for your response.
the click you hear is the relays in the 80.3 and from what I have read it is a normal behavior of the 80.3. what I hear is a popping noise in my surround speakers. integra reps blame it on my amps. if you notice this popping could you let me know? also if you could let me know what brand of amp your using I would appreciate it. thanks,
post #3653 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattnut View Post

the click you hear is the relays in the 80.3 and from what I have read it is a normal behavior of the 80.3. what I hear is a popping noise in my surround speakers. integra reps blame it on my amps. if you notice this popping could you let me know? also if you could let me know what brand of amp your using I would appreciate it. thanks,

I checked and it's not popping but the clicking you mentioned. For amps I am running a Mcintosh MC7300 and I'm using the 8.1 outputs from a Sunfire Ultimate Receiver.
post #3654 of 4252
The clicking of the relay can be somewhat reduced by choosing a standard audio mode in the setup for this input.
Another source of relay clicking is been induced by switching the Class H power rails for the power amps, which might happen during fall back and at higher output levels. There is no way of changing this behavior although there is some hysteresis and time delay built in that this shouldn't happen that often.
post #3655 of 4252
Has anyone been able to link analog audio to the analog PC input on the back of of their DHC 80.3? I found how to link up digital audio to the PC input, but not analog. What I would like to do is used the RCA inputs on the front panel with the PC input on the back. I have an older computer I would like to connect to it that doesn't have HDMI, or a digital audio out.
post #3656 of 4252
I just watched Anna Karenina on DVD (Universal). The jacket indicated DD5.1 audio. My 80.3, 70.1 and subwoofer are set up for 5.1, using Audessey.

With this DVD playing, the audio was sent to only the L, R, and center channels, plus the subwoofer. The 80.3 display showed only those speakers as active and also said "T-D" in the display.

Is there a reason this disk did not provide 5.1 audio? What does "T-D' mean?
post #3657 of 4252
I did a bit of research in the 80.3 manual. "T-D" means Theater Dimensional and is an attempt to create a surround sound effect when there are only two or three speakers available.

So, I am still wondering why I did not receive full 5.1 audio with this DVD. It is a current release film and is marked as DD 5.1 for audio.

Maybe I should have forced a new HDMI handshake by turning the system off and then on again before watching the movie.
post #3658 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed1 View Post

I did a bit of research in the 80.3 manual. "T-D" means Theater Dimensional and is an attempt to create a surround sound effect when there are only two or three speakers available.

So, I am still wondering why I did not receive full 5.1 audio with this DVD. It is a current release film and is marked as DD 5.1 for audio.

Maybe I should have forced a new HDMI handshake by turning the system off and then on again before watching the movie.

Theater Dimensional is a sound mode. You must have inadvertently switched to this sound mode. You just need to scroll through the sound modes to get back to a normal 5.1 mode.

You can also set the default sound mode in the source menu within the set up menu. This menu lets you set a default sound mode for each signal input type for a given source.
post #3659 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGeek99 View Post

Theater Dimensional is a sound mode. You must have inadvertently switched to this sound mode. You just need to scroll through the sound modes to get back to a normal 5.1 mode.

You can also set the default sound mode in the source menu within the set up menu. This menu lets you set a default sound mode for each signal input type for a given source.

You're right, AVGeek99. I wasn't careful enough with the setup and had set Theater Dimensional as the sound mode for BD/DVD and DD. Now corrected. Thank you very much for steering me to the solution.

What is the difference between the Direct and Straight Decode settings?
post #3660 of 4252
Direct removes bass management and sets all speakers to large but preserves speaker distance. Direct provides a cleaner sound after 'pure audio'.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Integra DHC-80.3