or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Integra DHC-80.3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Integra DHC-80.3 - Page 123

post #3661 of 4252
Direct removes bass management and sets all speakers to large but preserves speaker distance. Direct provides a cleaner sound after 'pure audio'.
post #3662 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed1 View Post

For those with the popping sounds, I wonder if the issue might be related to powered subwoofers or other speakers. I know that my powered subwoofer (Velodyne) has always make a single popping sound through the speaker a few seconds after being powered on - seemingly when a relay kicks in. Perhaps something in the 80.3 switching is affecting powered speakers in the same way.

Just a thought. . .

Well I think I got to the bottom of my popping noise problem. My PS Audio Power Plant Premier went bad. I took it out of my system and haven't had a pop since. I never did have any relay clicks so my system is completely silent once again. smile.gif
post #3663 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattnut View Post

hello spike9876 I experienced the same issues with my 80.3. the dealer where I purchased it from replaced it with a new unit and I am still having the popping noise in my speakers. I tried the grounding route but nothing seems to help. if you find a fix could you please reply. thanks, wattnut

Update:

Been busy lately and I haven't logged in... but I did find a resolution to my popping sound.

The issue I had was an initial popping sound coming from all speakers when ever listening modes changed... It was occurring using my cable box, OPPO, it was even occurring when you do a speaker level calibration (before you get the general pink noise) in the 80.3 setup menu.

After I posted issue, I tried plugging to different outlets but that didn't help... In the end I decided to reset my 80.3.... and voila... problem gone.

For anyone having this particular issue... Reset your unit and see if this resolves your issue.
post #3664 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post

Well I think I got to the bottom of my popping noise problem. My PS Audio Power Plant Premier went bad. I took it out of my system and haven't had a pop since. I never did have any relay clicks so my system is completely silent once again. smile.gif

Glad to hear you resolved your issue... I have an EMOTIVA XPA-5, and I did suspect my amp... but I don't have a spare amp to test that.... Luckily it was a simple reset for me smile.gif
post #3665 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post

Well I think I got to the bottom of my popping noise problem. My PS Audio Power Plant Premier went bad. I took it out of my system and haven't had a pop since. I never did have any relay clicks so my system is completely silent once again. smile.gif

My PP Premier also went bad last year, but no popping had been evident. There was excessive high speed fan operation and noise. Plus, I thought it muddied the sound somewhat. Apparently, they did develop some reliability issues over time, hence the newer models. I managed to trade it for a new P5 as opposed to getting the PPP repaired. But, the sonic improvement either provides is very small at best, as opposed to straight wall plug in. It is certainly not a slam dunk improvement over nothing, at least in my system.
post #3666 of 4252
Standby Mode Question?

Not sure what's going on with the standby mode on my 80.3 but I've noticed lately its still warm when in standby. Today I noticed that when in standby the HDMI symbol is lit in the right hand top corner of the main display panel, I've tried everything to turn this off when in standby but I cant see how. I even removed the power cord but still the HDMI symbol is lit when in standby. The 80.3 is running warm when in standby with the HDMI symbol lit.

Can anyone shed any light on this please, should the HDMI symbol be lit when in standby or not?
I've never noticed this on and in the past the 80.3 was never warm when I switched it to standby.
post #3667 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post

Standby Mode Question?

Not sure what's going on with the standby mode on my 80.3 but I've noticed lately its still warm when in standby. Today I noticed that when in standby the HDMI symbol is lit in the right hand top corner of the main display panel, I've tried everything to turn this off when in standby but I cant see how. I even removed the power cord but still the HDMI symbol is lit when in standby. The 80.3 is running warm when in standby with the HDMI symbol lit.

Can anyone shed any light on this please, should the HDMI symbol be lit when in standby or not?
I've never noticed this on and in the past the 80.3 was never warm when I switched it to standby.
I think that is normal for the 80.3 when you have a source in the pass through mode. this allows you to watch your cable or dvd without having to turn the pre/pro on and as it states in the owners manual the pre/pro will use more power when in pass through than in normal stand by.look in your manual and you can go to your 80.3 menu and turn this feature off.
post #3668 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattnut View Post

I think that is normal for the 80.3 when you have a source in the pass through mode. this allows you to watch your cable or dvd without having to turn the pre/pro on and as it states in the owners manual the pre/pro will use more power when in pass through than in normal stand by.look in your manual and you can go to your 80.3 menu and turn this feature off.

Thanks for that you were dead right, corrected now!
I must have turned this on by mistake, I remember doing so now the other day. That's what fiddling does:rolleyes:
post #3669 of 4252
Anyone know how much energy (watts) it pulls when in standby with bypass mode enabled?
post #3670 of 4252
Hi everyone. smile.gif I have a Marantz AV7005 now, and while the natural choice for me should be the 8801 to get XT 32, I'm unhappy with the jump in price, even with the discount I can get. I know we can't talk about price here, but if anyone has a good source for a discounted (new) 80.3, I'm all (ahem) ears via PM. biggrin.gif TIA.
post #3671 of 4252
I am trying to find out what the input sensitivity and impedance is for the balanced xlr inputs into the DHC-80.3.
The manual lists the sensitivity for the unbalanced inputs, but not the balanced. At least I can't find it.

Thanks,
Tom
Edited by tngiloy - 4/18/13 at 6:00am
post #3672 of 4252
Anyone compared the 80.3 to the Onkyo NR818 unit? Want to know what I get for the approximate $1000 - $1500 price difference, only for the preprocessor function (have a separate multichannel amp that I will use with either)? Mostly interested in the HT side of things...have a separate DAC/pre for music.
post #3673 of 4252
Anyone have the " NET " option not available? I went to listen to music tonight and the net option just gives me a blue screen, nothing coming up at all and the front panel only shows the volume and speaker diagram on the left with blank in the middle.
post #3674 of 4252
hi guys. I have Integra 80.3 preamp, NAD m25 7channel amp, Paradigm studio 100 speakers. I have been noticing that there is noticeable distortion in right surround and right speakers. I am not sure if the issue is with preamp or amp, but it is annoying especially after I spent all these money. I bought amp used and preamp new. Please, let me know. I also use APC power conditioner as well.
post #3675 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by niksem View Post

hi guys. I have Integra 80.3 preamp, NAD m25 7channel amp, Paradigm studio 100 speakers. I have been noticing that there is noticeable distortion in right surround and right speakers. I am not sure if the issue is with preamp or amp, but it is annoying especially after I spent all these money. I bought amp used and preamp new. Please, let me know. I also use APC power conditioner as well.

I think that a little trouble shooting is in order. 1st, I would swap the speaker leads to see if the problem stays at the same speakers. Next I would swap the inputs to the amp, Etc.

post #3676 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by niksem View Post

hi guys. I have Integra 80.3 preamp, NAD m25 7channel amp, Paradigm studio 100 speakers. I have been noticing that there is noticeable distortion in right surround and right speakers. I am not sure if the issue is with preamp or amp, but it is annoying especially after I spent all these money. I bought amp used and preamp new. Please, let me know. I also use APC power conditioner as well.

 

As Carl says above, you need to establish by elimination where the problem lies. Swap the speakers left to right. If the distortion moves with the speaker, the speaker is the problem. If the distortion stays put, swap the left and right channel at the preamp. If the distortion follows the preamp, then the preamp is the problem. Repeat for the power amp and the source unit. This will establish which of those four components is at fault and you will at least know for sure where the problem lies. 

 

Can you elaborate on this 'distortion'?  Is it heard at all volume levels?  Is it only heard at certain frequencies?  If you have a test disc, play a sweep through the speakers and see if the distortion fades in and out at certain frequencies. If you don't have a test disc, just play some music with a wide spread of frequencies. Does the distortion occur with repeatable regularity no matter what the source?  For the purpose of the tests, I would disconnect the power conditioner. It is unlikely to be the culprit but I'd remove it from the chain anyway for now.

post #3677 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

Anyone have the " NET " option not available? I went to listen to music tonight and the net option just gives me a blue screen, nothing coming up at all and the front panel only shows the volume and speaker diagram on the left with blank in the middle.

this happens occasionally. You need to "reboot" your unit by pulling the power for 30 seconds, then retry.
post #3678 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post


this happens occasionally. You need to "reboot" your unit by pulling the power for 30 seconds, then retry.

If that doesn't work, hold the power button in as you apply power.

post #3679 of 4252
Ya, I did a micro re-set but now I can't seem to get it to stay in standby. It completely shuts off and has to run through it's setup every time I turn it on. Normally there is a little hdmi light on the right side that stays on and keep all the settings, now I have to re-do everything every time I turn it on lol Damn thing never game me any problems until a week ago. Can't seem to find why it's doing what it's doing.
post #3680 of 4252
Boy I'm really hoping for a refresh of the 80.3 this summer/fall that offers 11 channels NEW/DSX and digital inputs to the zones.

C'mon Integra: TAKE MY MONEY!

James
post #3681 of 4252
Do you know for sure that is coming? I am getting ready to pull the trigger on this unit.

Are you happy with it?
post #3682 of 4252
I said "hoping".

I do not own an 80.3 but by nearly universal accounts it is a marvelous unit- ir simply does not offer the 11 channel and digital zone capabilities I'm after.

James
post #3683 of 4252
If one decides to use Dynamic EQ, does one need to select it as its prompted just before you remove the mic after using XT32, or doesn't it matter when you turn it on or off?
post #3684 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post

If one decides to use Dynamic EQ, does one need to select it as its prompted just before you remove the mic after using XT32, or doesn't it matter when you turn it on or off?
You can turn it on/off through the menus as well as just after running Audyssey.
post #3685 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

You can turn it on/off through the menus as well as just after running Audyssey.

Yes I know that, but does it need to be on when you do XT32 for it to be EQed in at the same time? You are prompted to turn it on just before you unplug the mic.
post #3686 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

You can turn it on/off through the menus as well as just after running Audyssey.

Yes I know that, but does it need to be on when you do XT32 for it to be EQed in at the same time? You are prompted to turn it on just before you unplug the mic.

 

It makes no difference if DEQ is on or off when you do the calibration, as Audyssey ignores the AVR settings when it measures.

 

b)6.   Does it matter how I set the controls on my AVR when running Audyssey?

 

For movies, most people leave DEQ on permanently. Music is not mixed to any consistent standards, so there is no 'Reference' level, so the use of DEQ for music reproduction is pot luck. Some peoplem use Reference Level Offset to help with music reproduction. More info here:

 

g)2.   What is Dynamic EQ?

 

g)3.   What is Reference Level Offset in Dynamic EQ?

post #3687 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

It makes no difference if DEQ is on or off when you do the calibration, as Audyssey ignores the AVR settings when it measures.

b)6.   Does it matter how I set the controls on my AVR when running Audyssey?


For movies, most people leave DEQ on permanently. Music is not mixed to any consistent standards, so there is no 'Reference' level, so the use of DEQ for music reproduction is pot luck. Some peoplem use Reference Level Offset to help with music reproduction. More info here:


g)2.   What is Dynamic EQ?


g)3.   What is Reference Level Offset in Dynamic EQ?

I find I can never play at reference level 82 even with all my THX speakers, it is far too loud!
I find 77 to 79 is the best for my room, but if I engage DEQ the sound in the room seems to be BOOMY, do others notice this?
post #3688 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

It makes no difference if DEQ is on or off when you do the calibration, as Audyssey ignores the AVR settings when it measures.

b)6.   Does it matter how I set the controls on my AVR when running Audyssey?


For movies, most people leave DEQ on permanently. Music is not mixed to any consistent standards, so there is no 'Reference' level, so the use of DEQ for music reproduction is pot luck. Some peoplem use Reference Level Offset to help with music reproduction. More info here:


g)2.   What is Dynamic EQ?


g)3.   What is Reference Level Offset in Dynamic EQ?

I find I can never play at reference level 82 even with all my THX speakers, it is far too loud!
I find 77 to 79 is the best for my room, but if I engage DEQ the sound in the room seems to be BOOMY, do others notice this?

 

Very few people can tolerate Reference level in a domestic environment. Even AVS member FilmMixer, who does this for a living, doesn't listen at Reference level at home!

 

DEQ shouldn’t make the sound 'boomy' (by which I assume you mean that the bass takes on a 'one-note' character) so that characteristic is probably there to begin with and DEQ is just emphasising it (by boosting the levels of the bass frequencies).  You might need to optimise the sub location if you haven't done so already (google 'sub crawl').

post #3689 of 4252
"Boominess" can be caused by Dynamic EQ being turned up too high for your source material and listening environment. It increases the relative level of low frequencies as you turn down the volume. You can adjust the "Dynamic EQ Reference Level Offset" to compensate for this. See page 59 in the owner's manual.

FWIW, one of the people posting to the Marantz av8801 thread is planning to post some graphs showing how DynEQ affects the freqency response.
post #3690 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

"Boominess" can be caused by Dynamic EQ being turned up too high for your source material and listening environment. It increases the relative level of low frequencies as you turn down the volume. You can adjust the "Dynamic EQ Reference Level Offset" to compensate for this. See page 59 in the owner's manual.

FWIW, one of the people posting to the Marantz av8801 thread is planning to post some graphs showing how DynEQ affects the freqency response.

I think I will just level DEQ off as find more problems when using it than not.
Without DEQ my bass is great and since its in a dedicated room the level is always at 77 to 79, so I'm not really changing the levels as one might in a lounge room in the house.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Integra DHC-80.3