or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Integra DHC-80.3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Integra DHC-80.3 - Page 130

post #3871 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockydj View Post

Those who have upgraded from a DHC 80.1 to 80.3 could you please give your opinion whether the upgrade has been worthwhile wrt XT32. I have a 80.1 and a Audyssey Sub Eq. I am pondering whether to upgrade or not.

 

XT32 is a very substantial upgrade over all other versions of Audyssey.  More info here:

 

h)2.   What is the difference between the various versions of MultEQ?

post #3872 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by calentz View Post

I can only tell you what I have done. (The 80.3 replaces a failed 80.2) I am using two PC case cooling fans on either side of my rack mounted Integra at the bottom of the rack.. There is approx two inches of space above and below the Integra.

Below is mounted two Sumo Polaris amps that is driving my surround speakers (7.2 config) The amps are between the fans & the Integra. Laying on the Integra is my HD radio ("Port") and my Darbee Vision Darblet.

Looks like I will be taking the PC fan route to help with heat removal from my 80.3. I just need to decide what type of switch and power device I'm going to use for the fan.
post #3873 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Static Wick View Post

Looks like I will be taking the PC fan route to help with heat removal from my 80.3. I just need to decide what type of switch and power device I'm going to use for the fan.
I run my fans off the USB port on the back as it's switched to when the unit is on / off the fans does the same .
Amazon sells them : do a usb pc fan search I use 2 with a 4 hole aux USB port
post #3874 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Static Wick

Looks like I will be taking the PC fan route to help with heat removal from my 80.3. I just need to decide what type of switch and power device I'm going to use for the fan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

I run my fans off the USB port on the back as it's switched to when the unit is on / off the fans does the same .
Amazon sells them : do a usb pc fan search I use 2 with a 4 hole aux USB port

Fastslappy, thanks for the info, sounds like a good plan.
post #3875 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Static Wick View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static Wick

Looks like I will be taking the PC fan route to help with heat removal from my 80.3. I just need to decide what type of switch and power device I'm going to use for the fan.
Fastslappy, thanks for the info, sounds like a good plan.
here they are http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OJN250/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

get a port to run dual fans http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q8UAWY/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #3876 of 4252
Ordering the fans tonight, thanks.
post #3877 of 4252
I posted this in the 5509 thread but haven't gotten a response so I am reporting here:
Quote:
So I bought and hooked up my 5509. When its set to the cable input and the cable box is off but the prepro and TV are on, I get flashing purple on the screen like its can't complete a handshake. Same when its set to the DVD input and my Bluray player is off. The TV is 720p and the HMDI Out main is set to 720p as well. When the cable box or receiver are on, then I get a picture without any issues. Any ideas? Should I worry about this?
post #3878 of 4252
Anyone? Any suggestions?
post #3879 of 4252
This may be a dumb question, but why are you watching an input with the source off?
post #3880 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by sCiEnt View Post

I posted this in the 5509 thread but haven't gotten a response so I am reporting here:
Quote:
So I bought and hooked up my 5509. When its set to the cable input and the cable box is off but the prepro and TV are on, I get flashing purple on the screen like its can't complete a handshake. Same when its set to the DVD input and my Bluray player is off. The TV is 720p and the HMDI Out main is set to 720p as well. When the cable box or receiver are on, then I get a picture without any issues. Any ideas? Should I worry about this?

What are the settings for the video processor in your pre/pro?

In general, if there's no HDMI signal being fed through the pre/pro to the TV, the TV should display its "no signal" message. Exactly what that message looks like would depend on the TV model and its settings.
post #3881 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by btinindy View Post

This may be a dumb question, but why are you watching an input with the source off?

 

WAF? :p

post #3882 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by btinindy View Post

This may be a dumb question, but why are you watching an input with the source off?

I am not actively trying to stare at a blank screen tongue.gif but I did notice it and it seemed odd because I don't remember it happening with my 5507.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

What are the settings for the video processor in your pre/pro?

In general, if there's no HDMI signal being fed through the pre/pro to the TV, the TV should display its "no signal" message. Exactly what that message looks like would depend on the TV model and its settings.

I need to check on the settings, I will do so once I get home. When I unplug the hdmi cable from the 5509 its fine, and the tv stays blank.
post #3883 of 4252
New 80.3 to replace my 80.2 under warranty. Two questions .

1. What does the latest set of new firmware updates do?
2. How do you tell the date of manufacture from the serial number?
post #3884 of 4252
No pass-through of audio to TV when on Standby -- SOLVED!

For the benefit of anyone else who has experienced this issue, I thought I'd post about a problem that cropped up mysteriously and a solution.

I have my 80.3 set to pass through the incoming HDMI cable TV signal out to my TV (also via HDMI) so that, when the 80.3 is on Standby, the TV receives video and the audio is played by the TV speakers. This has always worked fine. The HDMI light is displayed at all times on the 80.3, even when on Standby.

The other day, when turning on only the TV, there was no audio coming from the TV speakers. Toggling the HDMI pass through setting off and on did not help. Turning on the setting to play audio on the TV speakers did nothing - again no sound from the TV.

I first checked all of the HDMI cables. Then I connected an HDMI cable from the cable box directly to the TV, bypassing the 80.3. The TV speakers worked. After searching this thread for "factory reset", which I was about to do, I saw a post that suggested that simply unplugging the AC power cord for the 80.3 and then re-plugging it in solves some issues. So, I tried that and it worked. The audio immediately returned to the TV speakers when the 80.3 was on Standby.

Problem solved! When other HDMI issues crop up, I'll try to remember to first unplug the AC cord before trying anything more drastic.
Edited by ed1 - 11/3/13 at 10:23am
post #3885 of 4252
It really is funny how often unplugging and plugging back in corrects an issue smile.gif
post #3886 of 4252
Hey y'all, I recently got myself a used DHC-80.3 from a guy on Audiogon. He disclosed an issue with the HDMI board overheating, so as soon as I got the Integra in my possession I dropped it off at an authorized Onkyo/Integra repair shop in my area. The shop has not begun working on it yet but they are going to fix the board issue, apply any firmware updates, and run the machine for a while to make sure it's working properly.

Are there any common issues with the DHC-80.3 that I should look out for? Since it's currently in the shop, I figured now is the time to look for any problem areas.

I can't wait to start using my new Integra! This is a big upgrade for me, because the last system I had (lost in a divorce) was a middle-of-the-road Denon AVR from 2009.
post #3887 of 4252
I have only heard of one issue with the HDMI card for the 80.3 but was prevalent with the 80.2. Now this area of the unit can get hot if adequate ventilation is not provided (assuming it is in the back right?) so I am sure there will be one offs. I sure hope this does not become a common issue on this model. Don 't know of any specific issues except it puts out too much heat in my mind for something without amps and I don 't use the video processing - you can bypass but not turn off.
post #3888 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

I have only heard of one issue with the HDMI card for the 80.3 but was prevalent with the 80.2. Now this area of the unit can get hot if adequate ventilation is not provided (assuming it is in the back right?) so I am sure there will be one offs. I sure hope this does not become a common issue on this model. Don 't know of any specific issues except it puts out too much heat in my mind for something without amps and I don 't use the video processing - you can bypass but not turn off.

Thanks for the reply. My 80.3 will go into a rack inside a closed armoire, so I am planning to cut holes in the back and put two 120mm 12v fans on a programmable fan controller (link) that blow toward the back of the Integra, plus an exhaust fan at the top of the armoire. Does anybody know if it's heat that causes the board to degrade, or is heat just a symptom of the bad board?
post #3889 of 4252
I have been using my 80.3 for about 9 months now, running (via HDMI) cable TV signal in and out of the unit to the TV. I also have CD and Blu-Ray players hooked up. When first setting up the system, I added (in response to posts here on the heat issue), a couple of computer case fans sitting on top of the grill area at the back right of the top of the 80.3 (where I believe the HDMI board is located). The fans, when on, pull air up from the 80.3 and exhaust upwards. The exhausted air is not so warm as to indicate that a lot of heat is being produced inside the 80.3.

In my experience, the heat issue is not nearly as great as I anticipated. While the outer case does get warm, it is only moderately so and I have never felt any part of the outer case to get hot. The level of heat produced seems so moderate that, while I run the fans on occasion, I do not always do so when the 80.3 is on.

I hope I am not misjudging the heat issue, but I have not yet detected a real problem with heat.

I'd like to hear what others are experiencing, though.
Edited by ed1 - 11/3/13 at 10:24am
post #3890 of 4252
It's generally not a good idea to have fans blowing into a unit because they force dust into the insides, causing local overheating as the dust builds up. Fans which blow past the top to carry away the hot air as it rises are somewhat better in that regard.

Edited to add: of course my suggestion presumes plenty of space around the device for cool air to flow into it.
post #3891 of 4252
I recently upgraded from the Integra DHC 80.2 to the 80.3. I have a whole house audio system that I stream to my speakers via iTunes. I have speakers in my kitchen area that are powered by an old receiver in my basement and I have the Integra playing music in my family room. The house has an open floor plan and the kitchen and the family room are connected. I like to stream music concurrently to both the kitchen and family room. This worked fine with the 80.2 but I notices there's a 1/2second delay now with the 80.3, so the music sounds off when played together. I found that when I shut off the Audyssey EQ the sounds matches up perfectly. I like the EQ and want to be able to keep it on. Can anybody think of any fixes? I can add a delay to the input on the Integra but I can't speed it up. Thanks!
post #3892 of 4252
Audio processing takes time. There's no way to prevent that. One possibility would be to add a receiver to process the audio going to the kitchen, but that might be a bit excessive... Stereo delay units are available, but they cost more than receivers do. frown.gif
post #3893 of 4252
Is there anyway I can just copy down the Audyssey EQ settings and manually adjust them in the Integra's own EQ settings?
post #3894 of 4252
Unfortunately, no. Equipment which uses Audyssey does not really provide any sophisticated methods of modifying its results. Also, the graphic equalizer is extremely limited when compared to what Audyssey's automated filters can do. It does not provide the capabilities of the parametric equalizers usually provided in equipment which doesn't have Audyssey. Use of the equalizer disables Audyssey, too.

The Tone controls can be used to adjust bass and treble for the various speaker channels, but they're probably cruder than what you'd like to do. See page 70 of the owners manual.

In principle one could include a parametric equalizer (like one of Behringer's Feedback Destroyers) in the line between the calibration microphone and its input connection. It could be configured (using something like REW to generate settings) so that Audyssey produces a different result. I haven't heard of anyone actually doing something like that, though.
post #3895 of 4252
Hi, Currently I have a DHC 80.1 and considering the 80.3 due to XT32 and Dual sub calibration. Currently, the sub is a dual mono. I like the idea of calibrating each sub individually and then merging it which I believe what XT32 does. Is my understanding correct? Also what exactly does 4x the filters mean? Probably addressed somewhere in the Audyssey thread but a response here will be much appreciated. Is it possible to have two Audyssey settings in the DHC 80.3, one for Music and one for Movies? Reason is, I may prefer a HF roll-off for movies and no roll-off for Music. Basically what I am asking is, if I can store 2 target curves at one time and choose those from a menu option or button on the integra? Almost may sound like a feature request if not available smile.gif. I do have the pro kit and have done the calibration myself for the DHC 80.1. I wonder how much of a difference I can get from the 80.3. I did have the DSX wide channels at one time, but now am back to good old 5.1 wink.gif
post #3896 of 4252
You can select movie or music on Audyssey from the menu and toggle between those and off. Movie is rolled off.
post #3897 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

You can select movie or music on Audyssey from the menu and toggle between those and off. Movie is rolled off.
Thanks for pointing this out. I just noticed this in Page 59 of the [url=http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/own_manuals/SN29400813_DHC-80.3_En_web[1].pdf?CFID=2862085&CFTOKEN=11546224&jsessionid=f030925a62edf16aec02142e203e363d4556]manual[/url]

Audyssey
`Off
`Movie:
Select this setting for movie material.
The Audyssey indicator lights.
`Music:
Select this setting for music material.
The Audyssey indicator lights.

Can someone elaborate if we get to choose exactly what the target curve is for Movie and Music. Or is it that you choose an Audyssey default curve and then internally when Music is chosen or Movie is chosen, the unit automatically chooses some roll-off based on the baseline target curve? Please elaborate
post #3898 of 4252
The latter ... you simply choose MOVIE or MUSIC ... nothing more beyond that.
post #3899 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by james138 View Post

Is there anyway I can just copy down the Audyssey EQ settings and manually adjust them in the Integra's own EQ settings?

 

In addition to Selden's comprehensive reply, I would add that your Integra is Audyssey-Pro ready and you could buy a Pro Kit and license for about $750. The Pro kit allows limited (+/-3dB) modification of the target curve.

 

What is it that you want to achieve?

post #3900 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcomp124 View Post

Hi, Currently I have a DHC 80.1 and considering the 80.3 due to XT32 and Dual sub calibration. Currently, the sub is a dual mono. I like the idea of calibrating each sub individually and then merging it which I believe what XT32 does. Is my understanding correct? Also what exactly does 4x the filters mean? Probably addressed somewhere in the Audyssey thread but a response here will be much appreciated. Is it possible to have two Audyssey settings in the DHC 80.3, one for Music and one for Movies? Reason is, I may prefer a HF roll-off for movies and no roll-off for Music. Basically what I am asking is, if I can store 2 target curves at one time and choose those from a menu option or button on the integra? Almost may sound like a feature request if not available smile.gif. I do have the pro kit and have done the calibration myself for the DHC 80.1. I wonder how much of a difference I can get from the 80.3. I did have the DSX wide channels at one time, but now am back to good old 5.1 wink.gif

XT32 is the main reason to upgrade and highly recommended - the duo sub time aligns (distance) and levels the subs volume - they are calibrated as one -
If you do Pro Calibration - Music / Movies mode no longer changes the response - Also I really like DTS Neo X for audio -
Its a solid upgrade
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Integra DHC-80.3