or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Integra DHC-80.3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Integra DHC-80.3 - Page 136

post #4051 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by bao01 View Post

I have B&W 802 Diamond mains. The PDF brochure says 90 dB sensitivity.
My noise is like a soft, medium frequency hum, not really a hiss. It seems to be mainly from the midrange driver and maybe a little from the tweeter.
I can hear it at MLP 8 ft away but it is very faint, not a big deal.

So I turned 80.3 volume from -infinity to +10 and the sound did NOT change at all.
So i hit the power button on 80.3 (turned it "off") and the sound did NOT change at all.
So I unplugged the 80.3 power cord from the Monster surge protector and the sound did NOT change at all.

So it seems to be the Parasound Halo amp (also plugged into same surge protector).

Need to more investigating. Could be my city/street has noisy power that the Parasound doesn't like.
I don't understand ground loops etc. Need to do more reading.

 

My Onkyo 5509 is functionally identical to the 80.3 and my speakers are 90dB sensitivity too (MK S150) but I hear absolute silence even with my ear pressed to the speaker grille. 

 

Also, I think the guys are talking about a hiss not a hum so maybe your ground loop idea is right.

 

This might be a good place to start on hum issues:

 

post #4052 of 4252
PS Audio and Richard Gray's Power Company make some nice power eqiupment.
post #4053 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

My Onkyo 5509 is functionally identical to the 80.3 and my speakers are 90dB sensitivity too (MK S150) but I hear absolute silence even with my ear pressed to the speaker grille. 

Also, I think the guys are talking about a hiss not a hum so maybe your ground loop idea is right.

This might be a good place to start on hum issues:

I fixed it - see my posts on prev page.
post #4054 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by bao01 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

My Onkyo 5509 is functionally identical to the 80.3 and my speakers are 90dB sensitivity too (MK S150) but I hear absolute silence even with my ear pressed to the speaker grille. 

Also, I think the guys are talking about a hiss not a hum so maybe your ground loop idea is right.

This might be a good place to start on hum issues:

I fixed it - see my posts on prev page.

 

Good stuff!

post #4055 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

The typical use for XLRs is so that their differential signals will cancel out broadcast electrical noise. Home environments usually don't have much of that. Another reason to use XLRs, though, is that they latch on securely. Depending on the design of the amp, the doubled signal voltage (compared to what's provided when using RCAs) might provide additional gain.

The Integra is not truly fully balanced so I would not bother, or get monoprice cables wink.gif
post #4056 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

The Integra is not truly fully balanced so I would not bother, or get monoprice cables wink.gif

The only noise you would avoid with xlr cables is RF noise entering the cable itself. Since the integra is not fully balanced, noise will be picked up or created by the integra that cannot be rejected. In other words ... Exactly what you said lol.
post #4057 of 4252
Good to know - i will stick with the equipment rack i have then - the legs block the 80.3 XLR jacks so i use RCA jacks.
I was going to buy Salamander rack to get around this but now i don't have to. smile.gif
post #4058 of 4252

I'm having issues with HDMI video dropouts with video coming from my DirecTV DVR.  When this happens my 80.3 display says "No signal" and the audio still functions.  I'm not sure if this is a symptom of the dreaded HDMI problems that I thought were long ago put to bed in Integra products, or not. 

 

I have not swapped HDMI cables but will do that, although when the problem is occurring and I unplug the cable from the Integra and plug it into the TV it works correctly.  I have not seen the problem form my Blu-Ray player, but haven't watched it much either.  This has been happening about once a day for the last week and a half.  Anyone seen this before or have ideas?  I may switch HDMI inputs and see if that has an impact.  And I will connect via component cables and S/PDIF optical tonight and see how that works.  I guess it's a reasonable work-around since the best I can get out of DirecTV is 1080i and Dolby Digital anyway, and the failure of the that connection methodology to handle anything better won't matter, but I still don't like it and it doesn't bode well for the future.

 

Any ideas appreciated....

 

-Greg

post #4059 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

The typical use for XLRs is so that their differential signals will cancel out broadcast electrical noise. Home environments usually don't have much of that. Another reason to use XLRs, though, is that they latch on securely. Depending on the design of the amp, the doubled signal voltage (compared to what's provided when using RCAs) might provide additional gain.

The Integra is not truly fully balanced so I would not bother, or get monoprice cables wink.gif

I agree that the 80.3 is not fully balanced but none of the consumer based products are - even the high end equipment. If you want truly balanced XLR outputs you must get into pro audio equipment. That being said I have zero hum on my 80.3 system.

-- Bill --
post #4060 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-8 View PostI agree that the 80.3 is not fully balanced but none of the consumer based products are - even the high end equipment. If you want truly balanced XLR outputs you must get into pro audio equipment. That being said I have zero hum on my 80.3 system. -- Bill --

Some of the high end equipment are truly balanced, Classe, Krell...

post #4061 of 4252
The issue as you explain it sounds very much like the HDMI problem. frown.gif The HDMI board died on my Onkyo TX-NR906 receiver and the symptoms were very similar to what you describe. But with mine it just died completely, all inputs (though I was only using 2) all at once.

Have you taken any precautions with your 80.3 to ensure good ventilation? When I got mine the first thing I did was attach a couple 120mm computer fans to the top of the unit to pull the hot air away from the HDMI board. I run the fans with wall wart set at 12v output. The way I have them hooked up (series I think) the power is cut in half so they're each getting 6 volts. At full 12v power they were just too loud, though I didn't get the quietest fans. There are several regulars on this thread that have done the same. I've had mine for 2 years now with no issues... fingers crossed.
post #4062 of 4252
Hi,

I currently have a 5.2 HT and I'm thinking about upgrading my Fronts and center. The issue is what to do with these... ?

Do I sell them ? I doubt I will get much...

Or do I replace my surrounds with my towers and place surrounds CM1's either as surround backs or Front High/Wide ?

Mostly I watch movies... but most movies come in 5.1

Is there much of a difference adding speakers ?

I currently have EMOTIVA XPA5, so if I add speakers... I suppose I would need to buy another amp...
post #4063 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

You need to isolate whether it is the 80.3 or the source player which is causing the dropouts. I have dropouts on the R2 BD of Total Recall (remake) for example - but it is on the disc and/or player. I can solve it by setting the BD player to send PCM to the AVP. Perhaps you could try something similar?  As it only happens on TrueHD and presumably only on some discs, it may not be a problem in the 80.3 at all.

Yes, it is only on some discs. The blu-ray player is an Oppo BDP-93. I haven't tried configuring the Oppo to send PCM to the 80.3. I'll have to try that, thanks!
post #4064 of 4252
I also have a BDP-93 in my system but the only movie I've noticed the dropouts in was Monsters University 3D, haven't watched the 2D version so not sure about that. It was extremely annoying, but since it is the only movie that it's ever done it with I didn't investigate at all. I just chalked it up to a firmware issue on the BDP-93, but who knows. If I notice it again I'll do some troubleshooting.

I have also watched the Total Recall remake on BD and didn't have any issues at all. But what is R2? Is that a different release of the BD? The one I watched was a rental so I'm sure it was just the standard original release.
post #4065 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

You need to isolate whether it is the 80.3 or the source player which is causing the dropouts. I have dropouts on the R2 BD of Total Recall (remake) for example - but it is on the disc and/or player. I can solve it by setting the BD player to send PCM to the AVP. Perhaps you could try something similar?  As it only happens on TrueHD and presumably only on some discs, it may not be a problem in the 80.3 at all.

Yes, it is only on some discs. The blu-ray player is an Oppo BDP-93. I haven't tried configuring the Oppo to send PCM to the 80.3. I'll have to try that, thanks!

 

I have the same player. Usually Oppo are pretty good at issuing FW updates for problem discs but AFAIK Total Recall (2012) still has audio dropouts when bitstreamed from the Oppo. It plays perfectly on my other BD player (Panasonic DM35).  On both players using PCM is fine.

post #4066 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGeek99 View Post

I also have a BDP-93 in my system but the only movie I've noticed the dropouts in was Monsters University 3D, haven't watched the 2D version so not sure about that. It was extremely annoying, but since it is the only movie that it's ever done it with I didn't investigate at all. I just chalked it up to a firmware issue on the BDP-93, but who knows. If I notice it again I'll do some troubleshooting.

I have also watched the Total Recall remake on BD and didn't have any issues at all. But what is R2? Is that a different release of the BD? The one I watched was a rental so I'm sure it was just the standard original release.

 

The different regional releases are often not identical to each other in various ways - eg some of my R1 discs have a TrueHD soundtrack and the same disc in R2 has DTS-HD MA. Go figure.

 

One thing to try with your rogue disc is to set the player to send PCM to the AVR and see if that fixes it.

post #4067 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGeek99 View Post

The issue as you explain it sounds very much like the HDMI problem. frown.gif The HDMI board died on my Onkyo TX-NR906 receiver and the symptoms were very similar to what you describe. But with mine it just died completely, all inputs (though I was only using 2) all at once.

Have you taken any precautions with your 80.3 to ensure good ventilation? When I got mine the first thing I did was attach a couple 120mm computer fans to the top of the unit to pull the hot air away from the HDMI board. I run the fans with wall wart set at 12v output. The way I have them hooked up (series I think) the power is cut in half so they're each getting 6 volts. At full 12v power they were just too loud, though I didn't get the quietest fans. There are several regulars on this thread that have done the same. I've had mine for 2 years now with no issues... fingers crossed.


Well I've swapped cables and haven't seen the problem in a couple days so I think I'll chock it up to the cheap cable I bought at Walmart.  (I was desperate for one more HDMI cable.....). 

 

I have been concerned about temperature after reading about these running hot, so I hooked it up on the top shelf next to my center speaker and it's been running actually quite cool.  Of course my house ambient temperature hasn't been above about 68 deg or so....  I'll keep my eye on it.

 

-Greg

post #4068 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Glen View Post


Well I've swapped cables and haven't seen the problem in a couple days so I think I'll chock it up to the cheap cable I bought at Walmart.  (I was desperate for one more HDMI cable.....). 

I'm glad to hear things are working better now. Hopefully it was just a bad cable.
post #4069 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

The different regional releases are often not identical to each other in various ways - eg some of my R1 discs have a TrueHD soundtrack and the same disc in R2 has DTS-HD MA. Go figure.

One thing to try with your rogue disc is to set the player to send PCM to the AVR and see if that fixes it.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the different regions. I'm in the US so it would have been region 'A'. Blu Ray regions are letters DVDs are numbers, because it would be too simple to just use the same region name scheme.

That's really odd they would use different lossless codecs in different regions. I'm not going to bother with any troubleshooting right now but definitely will if it happens with another disc. Is there a list of BDs known to exhibit this problem other than Monster's U and Total Recall?
post #4070 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGeek99 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

The different regional releases are often not identical to each other in various ways - eg some of my R1 discs have a TrueHD soundtrack and the same disc in R2 has DTS-HD MA. Go figure.

One thing to try with your rogue disc is to set the player to send PCM to the AVR and see if that fixes it.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the different regions. I'm in the US so it would have been region 'A'. Blu Ray regions are letters DVDs are numbers, because it would be too simple to just use the same region name scheme.

 

 

Hahaha. Yes indeed.

 

Quote:

That's really odd they would use different lossless codecs in different regions. I'm not going to bother with any troubleshooting right now but definitely will if it happens with another disc. Is there a list of BDs known to exhibit this problem other than Monster's U and Total Recall?

 

Yes, the only reason I can see why they'd use different codecs in different regions is something to do with licensing and royalties, but it's only a guess.

 

The only one I have read about (until now) with issues with audio dropouts is Total Recall (2012).  There were numerous reports of it here in the UK - maybe it hasn’t affected R1 (sorry, region A) discs.  Even odder is that my Oppo 93, which is bang up to date with FW updates, can't play it, yet my ancient Panasonic DM35, which has *never* been FW updated in its life, plays it perfectly via bitstream.

post #4071 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGeek99 View Post

I also have a BDP-93 in my system but the only movie I've noticed the dropouts in was Monsters University 3D, haven't watched the 2D version so not sure about that. It was extremely annoying, but since it is the only movie that it's ever done it with I didn't investigate at all. I just chalked it up to a firmware issue on the BDP-93, but who knows. If I notice it again I'll do some troubleshooting.

I have also watched the Total Recall remake on BD and didn't have any issues at all. But what is R2? Is that a different release of the BD? The one I watched was a rental so I'm sure it was just the standard original release.

I'm experiencing the same dropout issue with Monsters University 3D and like yourself I also haven't tried the 2D version (yet). The difference with myself is that I'm using a BDP-103 with my 80.3. I've read a few threads that mentioned the dropouts on the 3D version but I'm not sure if this happens on all/most equipment.

-- Bill --
post #4072 of 4252
new issue with dhc 80.3 , I was losing audio with the hdmi through feature intermittently and would solve it by unplugging 80.3 and re-booting it, now I have no audio at all just video, re-booting does not solve anymore. any suggestions?
post #4073 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattnut View Post

new issue with dhc 80.3 , I was losing audio with the hdmi through feature intermittently and would solve it by unplugging 80.3 and re-booting it, now I have no audio at all just video, re-booting does not solve anymore. any suggestions?

 

Your HDMI board has failed. The unit will need to go in for service. If you search for HDMI board failure you'll see that your symptoms are classic. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Hope you get it fixed without any problems. BTW Onkyo/Integra are doing the replacement as a warranty item even if the unit is out of warranty.

post #4074 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Your HDMI board has failed. The unit will need to go in for service. If you search for HDMI board failure you'll see that your symptoms are classic. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Hope you get it fixed without any problems. BTW Onkyo/Integra are doing the replacement as a warranty item even if the unit is out of warranty.
thank you for the reply, I tried the hard boot and reset the 80.3, did not help. however, on a whim I unplugged my tv. let it re-boot and that worked. maybe it will buy me some time before I have to put it in the shop and be without it for a month. I wonder if Marantz ever has issues like integra.
post #4075 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattnut View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Your HDMI board has failed. The unit will need to go in for service. If you search for HDMI board failure you'll see that your symptoms are classic. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Hope you get it fixed without any problems. BTW Onkyo/Integra are doing the replacement as a warranty item even if the unit is out of warranty.
thank you for the reply, I tried the hard boot and reset the 80.3, did not help. however, on a whim I unplugged my tv. let it re-boot and that worked. maybe it will buy me some time before I have to put it in the shop and be without it for a month. I wonder if Marantz ever has issues like integra.

Has anyone else reported an HDMI board failure with the 80.3 or 5509? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is a one off rather than an epidemic like on earlier models? I don't suppose you had yours in a cabinet that restricted air flow?
post #4076 of 4252
mine is in a cabinet however, it has an open back and front and plenty of clearance on the sides. I don't have any equipment stacked on top either. according to my local authorized repair center heat didn't seem to be the cause of board failure, just design flaws. they also stated that several other manufacturers have had issues with their hdmi boards as well.
post #4077 of 4252
80.3 here with dying hdmi board.
post #4078 of 4252

I have had one incident with my 80.3. Operation was restored by "Pulling the plug" & holding in the [on / stand by] button on the processor in while restoring power. I an nervous because I went down this same path with my 80.2. It got to the point that I could not restore operation that way & I had to have the unit serviced.

post #4079 of 4252
how did the 80.3 perform after service? a tech. I spoke with stated that the replacement boards are pretty solid.
post #4080 of 4252
my 80.3 is two years old and no issues whatsoever (knock on wood)
i keep on top of an open stand - it is completely open - not in a cabinet
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Integra DHC-80.3