or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › My neighbor is complaining about bass (need advice)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My neighbor is complaining about bass (need advice) - Page 2

post #31 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsceneJesster View Post

I don't understand how it worked but it did. I moved my sub to the far rear corner of my basement where there is concrete on both walls and now you cant hear anything inside of his house. I had my volume at levels I would probably never watch a movie at.

Would anyone know why moving the sub to a different corner would help with the bass staying in my room and not moving over to his house?

I'd guess that in the place where the sub was previously, the walls were not concrete and were vibrating from the bass and transmitting the sound up the wall space and through the attic. The concrete walls in the new location would hardly vibrate at all.
post #32 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsceneJesster View Post

I live in a end of group townhouse with my home theater in the basement which is surounded by concrete, insulation and drywall. I just hooked up and watched a movie with my new X-Ref 12 and my neighbor is already complaining. I went into his house while my system was playing loud and you can hear when the bass hits hard but its not bad at all. Its hardly noticeable.

Is there any steps I can take or things I can do that would help with deadening the little bit of noise my neighbor is hearing? Would puting my sub on a isolation pad work? Would covering the wall on on that side with studio foam help? Would hanging some bass traps on that wall help?

Besides turning the volume down, is there anything else I can do?

Why don't you want to turn the sub down?
post #33 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpoke View Post

Neighbor sounds like a whiny bitch. Doesn't sound like a vibration issue, use the sub nearfield and lower the volume.

How can you say that? Maybe the neighbor is trying to get some sleep or study.
post #34 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

Why don't you want to turn the sub down?

That seems like kind of a silly question. Assuming the sub was calibrated correctly to begin with, turning it down would almost defeat the purpose of having a sub. It would sound weak.
post #35 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorMachine View Post

Really? You seriously moved to a place where there were no people, for the sake of your home theater?

My apologies for not being more specific. I moved because a). I finally had enough money socked away for a home down payment and b). apartment livng is not always condusive for friendly relations. The woman below me was elderly and would swear you were making noise even when you were there. On the other hand, I had some college football players above me that liked to party weekdays at 2AM so I had two extremes going on. It's a balancing act to be sure.
post #36 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

That seems like kind of a silly question. Assuming the sub was calibrated correctly to begin with, turning it down would almost defeat the purpose of having a sub. It would sound weak.

You are correct, it would be a silly question if you assumed the sub was correctly calibrated. However, I assumed that sub was not correctly calibrated within his system and that is why I asked the question.
post #37 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post

gotta post up in our outlaw thread didn't know you got it already. Let us know in there

You missed the pictures I posted on 9/18 (might have been because of the poor quality photography LOL)
post #38 of 46
Sounds like you're a reasonable and polite neighbor. Glad you found a solution.
post #39 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsceneJesster View Post

I don't understand how it worked but it did. I moved my sub to the far rear corner of my basement where there is concrete on both walls and now you cant hear anything inside of his house. I had my volume at levels I would probably never watch a movie at.

Would anyone know why moving the sub to a different corner would help with the bass staying in my room and not moving over to his house?

Am going to guess the two nearest concrete walls kill the strongest waves from propagating out, and now you are just dealing with the direct waves, narrower if u will, and by the time it reaches the far wall (not concrete?) it's too weak to get out.

Glad the Condo police didn't have to come out.
post #40 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

Am going to guess the two nearest concrete walls kill the strongest waves from propagating out, and now you are just dealing with the direct waves, narrower if u will, and by the time it reaches the far wall (not concrete?) it's too weak to get out.

Glad the Condo police didn't have to come out.

Yea, that is my guess as well. Although I did take a trip to the police precinct to ask them if I was breaking any laws. They told me as long as I own the house and the sound level is below a certain decibel within my neighbors house then I can play it as loud as I want anytime day or night. They actually have a meter that has 3 lights on it (Green, Yellow and Red). They said they usually use it for young punks who like to ride around blasting their two 15 inch subs in the back of their Honda Civic but they have also used it for cases like mine. If the meter lights up red then it is above the legal limit. I know for a fact it probably wouldn't even hit yellow in my neighbors house because I went over there to listen to it and I could barely here it. You actually had to really listen for it.

If my neighbor were to start being a dick about it, then I guess it's good to know there is nothing he can do about it

By the way, it's not a condo. It's a Row House.
post #41 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post

Neighbours with no HT systems are people too

But just barely....
post #42 of 46
Install 4-6 Captivators and blast until your house separates from your neighbor. Done deal.
post #43 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsceneJesster View Post

Yea, that is my guess as well. Although I did take a trip to the police precinct to ask them if I was breaking any laws. They told me as long as I own the house and the sound level is below a certain decibel within my neighbors house then I can play it as loud as I want anytime day or night. They actually have a meter that has 3 lights on it (Green, Yellow and Red). They said they usually use it for young punks who like to ride around blasting their two 15 inch subs in the back of their Honda Civic but they have also used it for cases like mine. If the meter lights up red then it is above the legal limit. I know for a fact it probably wouldn't even hit yellow in my neighbors house because I went over there to listen to it and I could barely here it. You actually had to really listen for it.

Question whether their meter was even measuring the bass at all. At least in NYC, there are separate measurements for normal frequencies and for bass. From a guide to the NYC noise code:

"Commercial establishments that play music must limit the level of unreasonable or disturbing noise that escapes into the streets or is heard in nearby residences by requiring that sounds levels may not exceed:
42 decibels as measured from inside nearby residences,
AND
7 decibels over the ambient sound level, as measured on a street or public right-of-way 15 feet or more from the source, between 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m.

Sometimes residents are disturbed by pervasive bass sounds that resonate and can be felt physically by a person.
Bass sounds measurements are weighted in the C scale and may not exceed 6 dB(C) above the ambient sound if the ambient sound is greater than 62 dB(C)."

This appears to apply only to commercial offenders though--not sure what the rules are about residential emitters.
post #44 of 46
Next time the neighbor comes over to complain, just say, "Listen buddy, you stop complaining about how loud my bass is and I won't mention to your wife the cute young hottie who comes by every time your wife leaves for longer than 8 hours." when he says, "That never happens" just smile and say, "I know" and walk away.
post #45 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofAZ1 View Post

Next time the neighbor comes over to complain, just say, "Listen buddy, you stop complaining about how loud my bass is and I won't mention to your wife the cute young hottie who comes by every time your wife leaves for longer than 8 hours." when he says, "That never happens" just smile and say, "I know" and walk away.

LOL...This would be one hell of an idea however, my neighbor is 65 years old, overweight, and ugly as sin. Not to mention, I think the guy is actually going to croak sooner than later. He has been a smoker for years and it sounds like he is hacking up both of his lungs. He also is affraid to come out of the house due to having nervous breakdowns and to top it all off, he wears plastic bags around his feet and hands because he says there is acid eating away at them.

Something tells me, he's not even gettign any action from his hands
post #46 of 46
i also have a neighbor that complained a lot. i don't blame them because the bass was jumping the 14ft gap to their house and knocking things off of shelves (i moved to get away from them, and i've used a milder setup since moving back). they'd had the cops come by, who did a walk around my house before knocking on my door. they said it could be heard outside, but was hardly what they'd call "loud." they told me just to be respectful of the time of day.

this led me to talking to one of the sergeants at my local PD about my rights. i confirmed that i'm a dj for a living and often build my own equipment. i was told that i would be fine as long as i observe the time of day and honor any official complaints filed. he likened it to someone moving next to a racetrack or airport and then complaining about noise.

one day i was in my garage, doing some editing and this neighbor went storming across my driveway past my open door to yell at the neighbors on the other side of me about the music. she got at least ten feet past my door before realizing it was coming from me and then came in to yell at me. i pulled out my phone and offered to call the cops for her. that's when her demeanor changed. she told me it wasn't necessary and then began to reason with me.

once she cooled off a bit, i explained to her about room gain and why it's going to sound louder inside her house no matter what level i have it at outside. i explained to her that square rooms make it even worse. i told her that the insulation put on under her siding a couple years prior was worthless and pointed out that her window was open while the air conditioning was on. i reminded her how many times her a/c unit used to keep me awake all the time, even on 50 degree (Fahrenheit) nights when i used to have to get up for work at 4:30am.

she then admitted to not even knowing what direction it was coming from when she got out of the door to yell at somebody because it wasn't even loud outside. she also admitted that the walls are so thin that she can hear people talking from a few driveways over.

anyway, the moral of the story- enjoy the fruits of your labor until there's a ticket to pay. just don't be disrespectful on purpose.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › My neighbor is complaining about bass (need advice)