or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Pioneer Kuro Reddish Tint Problem Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Pioneer Kuro Reddish Tint Problem Thread - Page 5

post #121 of 2557
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascior View Post

None that he knew of...but from what I have read from other fourms the guy in germany's display was cured of the red tint issue with a software update. The firmware I haven't heard of until today.

It seems possible that an update COULD fix this...fingers crossed.
post #122 of 2557
Is there anything out there that shows the German dude's progress with his Kuro? Because he could have had a totally different problem, this issue seems more physical to me than software related.

I hope I'm wrong though, getting this issue fixed through a simple software update would be too awesome.
post #123 of 2557
Please keep us updated. Thanks
post #124 of 2557
If you just google the issue you'll find it. If your using google chrome you can translate to read since it's in german. His before and after pix look pretty good. It looks like before the display has a red hue to it and after it looks like a dark grey. I'm crossing my fingers as well. I am out of town right now for work but will be back this weekend. I am just waiting on the service center to call me to setup an appointment.
post #125 of 2557
Here's the German thread if anyone's interested:
http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-139-3336-10.html (user: RW1)

Got it from this thread:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/pione...nt-blacks.html

The issue is universal and some of the pictures I've seen are really bad, which makes me wonder if the red tint will become way worse and cover the entire screen after more usage on my set.

I wish Pioneer was still in the HDTV business, I bet this issue would have had a clear answer by now instead of these vague solutions.
post #126 of 2557
im not sure if im allowed to post links, but here they are:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/pione...-blacks-3.html

http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-139-3336-10.html

i have a krp-500 and also have the red blacks. lets all hope this is legit....
post #127 of 2557
Thread Starter 
Mascior any update on this? Has the service tech come by to do these updates yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascior View Post

I just spoke with Pioneer customer support this morning about my krp-600m and found out there is a software and firmware update available. They can not be installed your self but by an authorized service company. I setup an appointment for next week in hopes of fixing the red tint issue. Your display does not still need to be under warranty for this service to be covered.
post #128 of 2557
The tech will be out to update my display this Friday...I am crossing my fingers. I have tried getting more info out of Pioneer but no dice. They basically said if this does not fix my issue then they have no other services to offer that they will cover. I will post my results asap.
post #129 of 2557
Thread Starter 
Gosh I'm crossing my fingers and toes that this works. Would be awesome news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascior View Post

The tech will be out to update my display this Friday...I am crossing my fingers. I have tried getting more info out of Pioneer but no dice. They basically said if this does not fix my issue then they have no other services to offer that they will cover. I will post my results asap.
post #130 of 2557
Is it friday yet? The suspense is killing me.. I hope it works.
post #131 of 2557
Can't wait to see if this helps. I emailed the link above and got no reply about firmware updates. How do I go about getting this done?
post #132 of 2557
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440forpower View Post

Can't wait to see if this helps. I emailed the link above and got no reply about firmware updates. How do I go about getting this done?

Call directly to Pioneer 1-800-421-1404, work your way through to tech support, and get a hold of Keith Meier.
post #133 of 2557
I made some head way on my own last night but I would not advise any body to try this because I had to go into the service menu. Because of who I work for I was able to work my way through Pioneers phone system and got to talk to an engineer. I found out what taking the panel to "0" means. You can erase all the logs it's like 5 different ones and turns out by erasing them I got my inky blacks back no red tint. The down fall is now my sus voltage is off causing sparkles. The good news is the software that is going to be loaded to my panel today address this issue. So i'm crossing my fingers and by the end of the day I should have my display back in working order!
post #134 of 2557
Thread Starter 
That is incredible news. So will the software update erase these logs for us or is it just going to adjust just your voltage I wonder? Hopefully the update does what you did but in a completely "safe and complete" method. Thanks for the update. Let us know how the update goes today and try and find out exactly what it does and what version it is and how we can check our version etc. . I also wonder if this is something that will be permanently fixed and won't be affected if we get our set professionally calibrated and ControlCal used to update the software to unlock the ISF modes.

Happy Friday for all red tint Kuro owners hopefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascior View Post

I made some head way on my own last night but I would not advise any body to try this because I had to go into the service menu. Because of who I work for I was able to work my way through Pioneers phone system and got to talk to an engineer. I found out what taking the panel to "0" means. You can erase all the logs it's like 5 different ones and turns out by erasing them I got my inky blacks back no red tint. The down fall is now my sus voltage is off causing sparkles. The good news is the software that is going to be loaded to my panel today address this issue. So i'm crossing my fingers and by the end of the day I should have my display back in working order!
post #135 of 2557
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascior View Post

I made some head way on my own last night but I would not advise any body to try this because I had to go into the service menu. Because of who I work for I was able to work my way through Pioneers phone system and got to talk to an engineer. I found out what taking the panel to "0" means. You can erase all the logs it's like 5 different ones and turns out by erasing them I got my inky blacks back no red tint. The down fall is now my sus voltage is off causing sparkles. The good news is the software that is going to be loaded to my panel today address this issue. So i'm crossing my fingers and by the end of the day I should have my display back in working order!

Is the engineer aware of the red tint on blacks problem?
post #136 of 2557
Hi to all
Have just voted in the poll. I've had my Kuro Elite 151 for almost two years and have no hint of a red tint to the absolute blacks. My Kuro is not wall-mounted and does have plenty of room to breath, which I think is important given that the panels do produce a fair amount of heat. In general I leave the orbiter set to off and don't engage the power save function. I am careful not to pause any picture on the screen for any length of time, and have not / will not use my Kuro for video games.
post #137 of 2557
I would be soooooooo happy if there's a fix for this. I love this tv but the slightly reddish blacks are really making the tv unwatchable to me.
post #138 of 2557
OK...here we go. The tech just left my house and my display is fixed. However there has been a huge mix up with pioneer and there software. What the tech brought over was 9g software but for every other model but the krp's. If you have any other model but the krp you are in luck. Call pioneer and get your display serviced. For those who have a krp like myself you can call for service but they need to adjust your panel voltages from the service menu. The tech told me that the red tint came from how the panel ages. He reset my panel, adjusted the VOL SUS and the VOL RST P. I needed no software installed and my blacks are BACK!! Good luck to everybody who is having this issue and hope it turns out as well as mine did.
post #139 of 2557
Thread Starter 
So if we have a KRP do we need to call and tell them we want the software installed even though it isn't for the KRP models? We need to do that just to get them out there to adjust the values? Or do you mean that they have a software update for the KRP but the tech just accidentally brought the wrong software with him? I am wondering if all of the techs will know what all to change since when everyone has called Pioneer they don't acknowledge that there is a problem with reddish tints or are even aware of the issue. Did you tell the tech what needed to be changed or did he know? Since you had already adjusted some of the values in the service menu I guess a tech would have to do that for us on top of the voltage adjustments he made for you. Kind of sucks that the software update doesn't apply to the KRP models

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascior View Post

OK...here we go. The tech just left my house and my display is fixed. However there has been a huge mix up with pioneer and there software. What the tech brought over was 9g software but for every other model but the krp's. If you have any other model but the krp you are in luck. Call pioneer and get your display serviced. For those who have a krp like myself you can call for service but they need to adjust your panel voltages from the service menu. The tech told me that the red tint came from how the panel ages. He reset my panel, adjusted the VOL SUS and the VOL RST P. I needed no software installed and my blacks are BACK!! Good luck to everybody who is having this issue and hope it turns out as well as mine did.
post #140 of 2557
Yeah it does suck there isn't a direct software fix for the krp's to address this issue. Yes if you want service to come out you will need to tell pioneer you want the firmware upgrade so they can set up an appointment. The tech had some knowledge of the issue but he did reset my panel again like I did and then he played with my voltages in the service menu until it was fixed. If I under stood right he adjusted the sus voltage which is the over all panel voltage and he lowered it. The other voltage he adjusted was the pulse reset voltage which he raised it. I think all this does is compensate for how the panel ages. Hope this helps.
post #141 of 2557
I own a 111fd and a 500m. So to clarify what your saying, for my 111fd the tech will need to install a firmware upgrade that will correct the red tint issue. No need to adjust anything in the service menu.

For my 500m the tech will need to reset my panel and then adjust the voltage to correct the issue.

Does that sound right?
post #142 of 2557
So if it's just an adjustment in the service menu can we do it without calling a tech? I'm afraid that in my area there will be no techs that have a clue as to what the problem is. Or do I just roll the dice and try to get someone out that knows what to do?
post #143 of 2557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwellon View Post

I own a 111fd and a 500m. So to clarify what your saying, for my 111fd the tech will need to install a firmware upgrade that will correct the red tint issue. No need to adjust anything in the service menu.

For my 500m the tech will need to reset my panel and then adjust the voltage to correct the issue.

Does that sound right?

Yeah, that sounds about right. I know for sure about the krp but as far as any other models I would assume based off what the tech said.
post #144 of 2557
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascior View Post


Yeah, that sounds about right. I know for sure about the krp but as far as any other models I would assume based off what the tech said.

Awesome....thank you for sharing all this info.

When your panel was reset, did this clear out your settings? (isf and etc.)
post #145 of 2557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwellon View Post

Awesome....thank you for sharing all this info.

When your panel was reset, did this clear out your settings? (isf and etc.)

That i'm not sure of because I uninstalled the controlcal isf patch prior. After the tech left I re-installed the isf patch and i'm going to re-calibrate tonight with my new D3 pro/Chromapure software.
post #146 of 2557
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascior View Post

Call directly to Pioneer 1-800-421-1404, work your way through to tech support, and get a hold of Keith Meier.

Mascior you mentioned on the previous page to talk to Kevin but above you said to ask for Keith. Is Keith aware of the red tint issue? I called tech support tonight to try and get connected to Keith but I got an automated recording saying that they were all in training today. Was your panel out of warranty? (mine is) You mentioned that for the software/firmware update that they would come out and do it even if we were out of warranty. Since the updates don't directly apply to the KRPs do you think they are going to want to charge us to try and fix these red tint issues by resetting the panel and adjusting the voltage? I guess that may be why we should just tell them we heard there was a software update that we want them to apply so that they won't charge us. I am just wondering if I need/should mention the red tint problem to them when I call or if I should just tell them I heard there is new software/firmware that I want a tech to come install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascior View Post

That i'm not sure of because I uninstalled the controlcal isf patch prior. After the tech left I re-installed the isf patch and i'm going to re-calibrate tonight with my new D3 pro/Chromapure software.

I used KuroControl to unlock the ISF modes but reset the panel back to how it was originally to see if that affected the red tint issue (which it didn't obviously lol). In the process, the hours on my panel got reset and I was under the impression that the hours on your panel get reset when you use the ControlCal patch as well. Is this true and if so did the tech say anything about your hours? I am also hoping that using ControlCal won't affect the fix. Let us know how your panel is after you reinstall the patch.

So if the tech told you that this problem arose from how the panel ages then I wonder if the panels will start to exhibit a red tint as we use them more after they are reset. Do you know if the voltage is a direct cause of the problem or you made it sound like it was the logs that are the problem but then the voltage had to be adjusted as well to compensate for whatever problems there were. I wonder if the sets that are exhibiting a reddish tint had the wrong voltage to begin with or if this is something that just started to stray over time or maybe the panel does that automatically in the aging calculations. I don't really know how the whole panel aging thing works and I guess noone probably does. I am just wondering why some panels display the red tint while others don't and I am wondering if this problem is going to come back

Sorry to ask you so many questions. Just trying to sort things out and grasp what is causing this. Thanks again for your comments and help!!!!
post #147 of 2557
Hi mascior,

I have been 'seeing red' for about a month or so having stumbled onto this forum by mistake. Kind of wished I hadn't but once you see the red tint it's got you!

I got myself a serial cable and used hyper terminal to access the service menu. I tried adjusting the panel degradation settings and the RGB colors but nothing cured it.

It looks like this could be the fix at last...can you tell me which logs you and the service engineer cleared? I am looking at the service manual and I see several (assuming you used RS232 commands):

CBU Clearing backup data of EEPROM
CHM Clearing data of the hour meter
CHR Clearing data of the hour meter of MTB/MR side
CNG Clearing shutdown history of MTB/MR side
CMT Clearing data of the maximum temperature
CPC Clearing power-on count data
CPD Clearing power-down histrory
CPM Clearing data of the pulse meter
CSD Clearing shutdown history of Panel side

Also what were the hours on your TV before the reset and what are the new values of VOL SUS and the VOL RST P?

Any help would be great!
post #148 of 2557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac13 View Post

Mascior you mentioned on the previous page to talk to Kevin but above you said to ask for Keith. Is Keith aware of the red tint issue? I called tech support tonight to try and get connected to Keith but I got an automated recording saying that they were all in training today. Was your panel out of warranty? (mine is) You mentioned that for the software/firmware update that they would come out and do it even if we were out of warranty. Since the updates don't directly apply to the KRPs do you think they are going to want to charge us to try and fix these red tint issues by resetting the panel and adjusting the voltage? I guess that may be why we should just tell them we heard there was a software update that we want them to apply so that they won't charge us. I am just wondering if I need/should mention the red tint problem to them when I call or if I should just tell them I heard there is new software/firmware that I want a tech to come install.



I used KuroControl to unlock the ISF modes but reset the panel back to how it was originally to see if that affected the red tint issue (which it didn't obviously lol). In the process, the hours on my panel got reset and I was under the impression that the hours on your panel get reset when you use the ControlCal patch as well. Is this true and if so did the tech say anything about your hours? I am also hoping that using ControlCal won't affect the fix. Let us know how your panel is after you reinstall the patch.

So if the tech told you that this problem arose from how the panel ages then I wonder if the panels will start to exhibit a red tint as we use them more after they are reset. Do you know if the voltage is a direct cause of the problem or you made it sound like it was the logs that are the problem but then the voltage had to be adjusted as well to compensate for whatever problems there were. I wonder if the sets that are exhibiting a reddish tint had the wrong voltage to begin with or if this is something that just started to stray over time or maybe the panel does that automatically in the aging calculations. I don't really know how the whole panel aging thing works and I guess noone probably does. I am just wondering why some panels display the red tint while others don't and I am wondering if this problem is going to come back

Sorry to ask you so many questions. Just trying to sort things out and grasp what is causing this. Thanks again for your comments and help!!!!

Kevin and Keith work in the same department both should be able to help. You should probably ask for the software update because that is the only service Pioneer is covering right now regardless of warranty. The tech did mention how is it possible to have such low panel hours lol. I just told him about ControlCal...he said cool and went about his thing. I did re-install the ControlCal patch after he left and saw no hint of red tint so I think it's safe to assume the patch is fine. Will the red tint come back...who knows only time will tell. I don't think Pioneer would send out panels with wrong voltages I think each panel just ages differently. I did have a chance to re-calibrate last night and got some interesting results. My D3 Pro is capable of reading down to .001 which is what my panel read before all this. Last night it read 0 which I know is not actually 0 but now my mll is lower than the threshold of my meter! My panel calibrated flawlessly like all Pioneer panels do but my rgb values were different compared to my calibration results prior to all this. Regardless...after all this no red tint and slightly deeper blacks(which I couldn't tell to much of a difference being deeper but my meter did)so I am happy.
post #149 of 2557
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroud View Post

Hi mascior,

I have been 'seeing red' for about a month or so having stumbled onto this forum by mistake. Kind of wished I hadn't but once you see the red tint it's got you!

I got myself a serial cable and used hyper terminal to access the service menu. I tried adjusting the panel degradation settings and the RGB colors but nothing cured it.

It looks like this could be the fix at last...can you tell me which logs you and the service engineer cleared? I am looking at the service manual and I see several (assuming you used RS232 commands):

CBU Clearing backup data of EEPROM
CHM Clearing data of the hour meter
CHR Clearing data of the hour meter of MTB/MR side
CNG Clearing shutdown history of MTB/MR side
CMT Clearing data of the maximum temperature
CPC Clearing power-on count data
CPD Clearing power-down histrory
CPM Clearing data of the pulse meter
CSD Clearing shutdown history of Panel side

Also what were the hours on your TV before the reset and what are the new values of VOL SUS and the VOL RST P?

Any help would be great!

Yes I did enter the service menu via RS232 and you can use hyper terminal if you want but here are two easier ways. 1 download Kuro Control from this forum which has a location for sending commands. 2 in hyper terminal send FAY then send FACS01 to enter the service menu and use your user remote to navigate. To send those commands in hyper terminal you need Pioneers before and after strings added to the command. I would not recommend entering the service menu unless you know what you are doing. If you do decide to enter you can reset everything but "BACK UP DATA FOR EEPROM"...DO NOT ERASE THIS AS YOUR DISPLAY WILL NOT WORK ANYMORE! My VOL SUS is 128 and my VOL RST P is at 108. If you lower the VOL RST P to low you will get sparkles and if you raise it to high you will elevate your black level or MLL. Good luck.
post #150 of 2557
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascior View Post

Yes I did enter the service menu via RS232 and you can use hyper terminal if you want but here are two easier ways. 1 download Kuro Control from this forum which has a location for sending commands. 2 in hyper terminal send FAY then send FACS01 to enter the service menu and use your user remote to navigate. To send those commands in hyper terminal you need Pioneers before and after strings added to the command. I would not recommend entering the service menu unless you know what you are doing. If you do decide to enter you can reset everything but "BACK UP DATA FOR EEPROM"...DO NOT ERASE THIS AS YOUR DISPLAY WILL NOT WORK ANYMORE! My VOL SUS is 128 and my VOL RST P is at 108. If you lower the VOL RST P to low you will get sparkles and if you raise it to high you will elevate your black level or MLL. Good luck.

Good point about Clearing backup data of EEPROM!! Yes I wouldn't want to do that. As I say I have been into the service menu a few times with hyper terminal and have got used to navigating with the remote once in (a bit like using the Pioneer Service Remote). I usually enter FAY to get into the service menu to make some changes and enter FAN to get out.

I have a UK model PDP-LX5090 with the red tint. Looking at the service manual, the procedure you mention looks very much like the procedure for
Panel replacement.

8.4 ADJUSTMENT WHEN THE SERVICE PANEL ASSY IS REPLACED

After the panel is replaced with one for service, voltage margin adjustment is required.

The procedure is:

Turn the unit on. / [PON]
Enter Factory mode. / [FAY]
Set PM/B1-B5 to CLEAR (to clear the pulse meter). / [CPM]
Set HR-MTR to CLEAR (to clear the hour meter). / [CHM]
Turn the unit off. / [POF]

Turn the unit on. / [PON]
Enter Factory mode. / [FAY]

Enter the tentative setting value of the replacement panel

VOL SUS / [VSU ∗∗∗] 128
VOL OFFSET / [VOF ∗∗∗] VOF indication value
VOL RST P / [VRP ∗∗∗] VRP indication value
VOL XPOFS1 / [VX1 ∗∗∗] 085
VOL XPOFS2 / [VX2 ∗∗∗] 047
VOL YNOFS1 D / [V1F ∗∗∗] V1F indication value
VOL YNOFS3 D / [V3F ∗∗∗] V3F indication value +0
VOL YNOFS4 D / [V4F ∗∗∗] V4F indication value
VOL YNOFSA D / [VYF ∗∗∗] 128

Again this is for replacing the panel, not the red issue. I think I will try to clear the logs and then check the picture and adjust the settings as you have said. Will keep you posted.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Pioneer Kuro Reddish Tint Problem Thread