or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › Pink Floyd Immersion Sets
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pink Floyd Immersion Sets

post #1 of 43
Thread Starter 
Reposting for discussion here (seems more appropriate in this forum)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfilmguy View Post

The Wall Immersion Box Set will not include any Blu-rays. The album was never mixed in quadrophonic or 5.1, so the album will only be presented on stereo CD. The additional material includes the complete demo version on 2 CD's, The "Is There Anybody Out There?" live album, and a DVD of concert footage, a music video, and documentaries. No high-res version of the album. And it will be out in Feb. of 2012.

This is my understanding too. In fact it seems to me that ONLY Blu-ray or hi-rez release in these Pink Floyd Immersion sets will be DSOTM. Correct ?
post #2 of 43
Wish You Were Here immersion will have a Blu Ray disc........

Disc 5 - Blu-ray Disc
James Guthrie 2009 5.1 Surround Mix (previously unreleased) high resolution audio at 96 kHz/24-bit
Quad Mix (previously released only on vinyl LP/8 track tape) in high resolution audio
Original stereo mix (1975) mastered in high resolution audio at 96 kHz/24-bit
"Shine On You Crazy Diamond" Intro Concert Screen Film in stereo and 5.1 Surround Sound
"Shine On You Crazy Diamond" Concert Screen Film in stereo and 5.1 Surround Sound
"Welcome To The Machine" animated clip
Storm Thorgerson short film
post #3 of 43
so will there not even be a Hi Rez stereo track in the Wall Immersion set? This is absurd if not, if doing a re-master why they hell not master at a higher resolution, really should have been done with the entire experience boxset.
post #4 of 43
Sorry, but they should have done an immersion collection for Animals before The Wall, especially if offering material already available out there for years (Is There Anybody Out There?) in that The Wall collection.
post #5 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm_B View Post

Sorry, but they should have done an immersion collection for Animals before The Wall, especially if offering material already available out there for years (Is There Anybody Out There?) in that The Wall collection.

TOTALY AGREE. Why not hi rez? The only reason I am considering the WYWH immersion set is for the quad mix, but alas I can't justify it as the SACD is available for far less.
I would like a remastered Wall, as I always felt the original cd release was a little weak, and they probably would have had me if they included a BR MC hi rez version in the set, but I will probably just get the remastered stand alone version.
Animals is perhaps my favorite of all, and would kill for a hi rez MC version. I'll be buying the re-release I suppose, as I felt this was the worst quality recording of all, and hopefully is much improved.
post #6 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX2112 View Post

Wish You Were Here immersion will have a Blu Ray disc........

Disc 5 - Blu-ray Disc
James Guthrie 2009 5.1 Surround Mix (previously unreleased) high resolution audio at 96 kHz/24-bit
Quad Mix (previously released only on vinyl LP/8 track tape) in high resolution audio
Original stereo mix (1975) mastered in high resolution audio at 96 kHz/24-bit
"Shine On You Crazy Diamond" Intro Concert Screen Film in stereo and 5.1 Surround Sound
"Shine On You Crazy Diamond" Concert Screen Film in stereo and 5.1 Surround Sound
"Welcome To The Machine" animated clip
Storm Thorgerson short film

Ah, I missed that. Thanks !!



Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy View Post

TOTALY AGREE. Why not hi rez? The only reason I am considering the WYWH immersion set is for the quad mix, but alas I can't justify it as the SACD is available for far less.
I would like a remastered Wall, as I always felt the original cd release was a little weak, and they probably would have had me if they included a BR MC hi rez version in the set, but I will probably just get the remastered stand alone version.
Animals is perhaps my favorite of all, and would kill for a hi rez MC version. I'll be buying the re-release I suppose, as I felt this was the worst quality recording of all, and hopefully is much improved.

I'm with you on Animals, I'll probably buy the re-release. Let us know about it's sound quality after you get it. As far as the Wall, yes buy the standalone re-release (comes out Tuesday). I'm not going to pay $120 for the Wall Immersion box set when it doesn't even have a blu-ray or hi rez version. Although next Feb. when the Wall Immersion box set is released there will be something called the Wall Experience. It will have the re-release Wall CDs and then one extra CD of demos that might be interesting.
post #7 of 43
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294

Released today? Any reviews yet...Quad mix SQ?
post #8 of 43
Would have expected my copy to have shipped already from amazon but it is still reflected as shipping soon. I have amazon prime and was hoping it would arrive on the US release date (Tuesday) but it looks like that may not happen.
post #9 of 43
I ordered the DSOTM Immersion Box Set on May 11 and Amazon tracking shows it in town and "out for delivery" as of an hour and a half ago! I'll have it sometime around 5:00 p.m. CDT today. I know what I'll be doing tonight.

I hope others who pre-ordered get theirs today too, and I hope this shows up in retail stores when it's supposed to. Breathe, breathe in the air, ... and run, rabbit, run!
post #10 of 43
I ordered May 12. Status still says shipping soon and I have amazon prime. It says delivery estimate of October 3 - October 7. Thought I would preorder to take advantage of all the price fluctuations, but I could have just ordered today at the lowest price and I would have received it sooner. I usually get things the next day when I order with prime anyway as the distribution center is only 250 miles away.
post #11 of 43
Target had the individual remastered CDs for $10 ($15 for The Wall) and $5 gift card when you buy 2. The store I went to only had DSOFTM, Wall, WYWH, Animals and Division Bell.
post #12 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

Target had the individual remastered CDs for $10 ($15 for The Wall) and $5 gift card when you buy 2. The store I went to only had DSOFTM, Wall, WYWH, Animals and Division Bell.

Those are previously released remasters, not the eagerly awaited new James Guthrie 2011 remasters that are being released as part of boxed sets. Today is the release date for the Immersion Box Set of DSOTM, the first of several PF albums getting the deluxe treatment to be released. That is not what you saw on sale for $10 at Target. The DSOTM Immersion Set retails for more than $100.
post #13 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

Target had the individual remastered CDs for $10 ($15 for The Wall) and $5 gift card when you buy 2. The store I went to only had DSOFTM, Wall, WYWH, Animals and Division Bell.

You're kidding me! I'm going to check out Target tonight.
post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

Those are previously released remasters, not the eagerly awaited new James Guthrie 2011 remasters that are being released as part of boxed sets. Today is the release date for the Immersion Box Set of DSOTM, the first of several PF albums getting the deluxe treatment to be released. That is not what you saw on sale for $10 at Target. The DSOTM Immersion Set retails for more than $100.

They are what amazon is selling with today as the release date:

http://www.amazon.com/Animals-Pink-F...160959&sr=8-12

The new Discovery version presents the original studio album, digitally remastered by James Guthrie and reissued with newly designed Digipak and a new 28 page booklet designed by Storm Thorgerson.


http://www.amazon.com/Wall-Pink-Floy...7161297&sr=1-6

Same as what is in the Discovery box set. And I assume same as what is the 1st CD in the Immersion box set for DSOTM. The Immersion box contains a lot of other stuff. I loved when Jimmy fallon showed the scarf and marbles from the box on last nite's show with Nick Mason as a guest.
post #15 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

They are what amazon is selling with today as the release date:

http://www.amazon.com/Animals-Pink-F...160959&sr=8-12

The new Discovery version presents the original studio album, digitally remastered by James Guthrie and reissued with newly designed Digipak and a new 28 page booklet designed by Storm Thorgerson.


http://www.amazon.com/Wall-Pink-Floy...7161297&sr=1-6

Same as what is in the Discovery box set. And I assume same as what is the 1st CD in the Immersion box set for DSOTM. The Immersion box contains a lot of other stuff. I loved when Jimmy fallon showed the scarf and marbles from the box on last nite's show with Nick Mason as a guest.

Thanks. I stand corrected. What do know? They are releasing each remastered album available individually, and reasonably priced. Missed Fallon. Didn't know Nick would be on, or I would have watched it.
post #16 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

Thanks. I stand corrected. What do know? They are releasing each remastered album available individually, and reasonably priced. Missed Fallon. Didn't know Nick would be on, or I would have watched it.

No problem. Waters is on Fallon tonite. He has Pink Floyd week with the musical guest playing a PF song every night/
post #17 of 43
I forgot that DSOTM immersion box set was coming at the end of Sept. Yesterday there was a Amazon box on my doorstep and I had no clue what it was until I opened it. In it was the box set all the discovery CDs for albums with no boxset coming.

I did pop in the BD of DSOTM. The 5.1 sounded nice, but I'm not going to bother comparing it to the SACD. Although I got more enjoyment watching "Careful with that Axe, Eugene" and "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" 1972 concert footage. Love seeing Waters do his sound effects.

larry
post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

No problem. Waters is on Fallon tonite. He has Pink Floyd week with the musical guest playing a PF song every night/

(Crossing fingers and toes for a David Gilmour appearance before week's end).
post #19 of 43
Got the box. Very happy.
post #20 of 43
Bought @ Best Buy tonight. Can't wait till tomorrow to listen to the 5.1 BD mixes.
I have a buddy who has a DL of the Alan Parsons Quad Mix from back in the day and it sounds pretty cool - I'm hoping the newer remaster is worthy!
post #21 of 43
I picked up this set a few days ago, and am really enjoying it. However, for the life of me I cannot get the quad mix to play through 4 channels on the blu ray. Sound only comes out of the front two channels. I am running an LG BD390 blu ray to an Onkyo SR705. The receiver is reading the mix as PCM 4.0, but the rear speakers are dead. The 5.1 mix plays flawlessly and sounds fantastic. Any help or ideas on what might be causing this is greatly appreciated.
post #22 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

... Missed Fallon. Didn't know Nick would be on, or I would have watched it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

No problem. Waters is on Fallon tonite. He has Pink Floyd week with the musical guest playing a PF song every night/

Thanks for the heads up about Fallon. For those that missed Fallon with Nick (Mon) and Roger (Tues) the shows are up on Hulu.
Here are the links of just their portions:

Nick:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/283041/lat...11?c=1824:2153

The band 'The Shins' performing 'Breathe'
http://www.hulu.com/watch/283041/lat...11?c=2168:2432

Roger, talking a bit about Syd when they played 'The Pat Boone Show':
http://www.hulu.com/watch/283349/lat...11?c=1825:2220

Roger, with The Foo Fighters playing a great rendition of 'In The Flesh':
http://www.hulu.com/watch/283349/lat...11?c=2232:2449


No David on this week though
post #23 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC0TLANDF0REVER View Post

No David on this week though

One can always hope (sigh)
post #24 of 43
He's too busy being grumpy these days.
post #25 of 43
at Best Buy @9.99, i have not listened to it yet but I'm hoping for better sound then my CBS 80's version. The one thing I did notice is that all the "Dark Side of the Moon" SA-CD's were gone, probably shipped back? I wonder if they will go out of print....
post #26 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1 View Post

I picked up this set a few days ago, and am really enjoying it. However, for the life of me I cannot get the quad mix to play through 4 channels on the blu ray. Sound only comes out of the front two channels. I am running an LG BD390 blu ray to an Onkyo SR705. The receiver is reading the mix as PCM 4.0, but the rear speakers are dead. The 5.1 mix plays flawlessly and sounds fantastic. Any help or ideas on what might be causing this is greatly appreciated.

Check your prepro or receiver to see if it has side speakers and rear speakers for 7.1 and try enabling one or the other that may not be enabled. You may have to change speaker wire connections which could kill the deal. Some processors have a setting where you can combine rear+side to come out one or the other. Could be a "bug", 4.0 is not common. If I think of it I'll try it in my setup.

Also, from what I remember when dealing with tech support for my prepro, there is no standard (or there was none at the time) for the order of channels via HDMI. The prepro had settings that let you choose various channel setups for HDMI audio. However, I've never had an issue with the default setting.

larry
post #27 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007james View Post

...The one thing I did notice is that all the "Dark Side of the Moon" SA-CD's were gone....

Our local BestBuy eliminated the SACD/DVD-A category displays over two years ago, so I've just ordered on-line.
post #28 of 43
A heads up on the DSotM Immersion set. Two of my discs were loose (2&3) and disc 2 was heavily scratched. I just came back from BB to do an exchange and the other two box sets were worse than mine. They both had loose discs and scratches.

I was able to take an undamaged disc 2 out of one to hodge podge a full unscratched set together.

Does anyone know how to go about letting the label/distributor/whoever know, so that they can set up an exchange program for scratched discs? I can't see people who ordered online being able to get a decent set w/out damaged discs.
post #29 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC0TLANDF0REVER View Post

A heads up on the DSotM Immersion set. Two of my discs were loose (2&3) and disc 2 was heavily scratched. I just came back from BB to do an exchange and the other two box sets were worse than mine. They both had loose discs and scratches.

I was able to take an undamaged disc 2 out of one to hodge podge a full unscratched set together.

Does anyone know how to go about letting the label/distributor/whoever know, so that they can set up an exchange program for scratched discs? I can't see people who ordered online being able to get a decent set w/out damaged discs.

My buddy also has a loose disc in his immersion set from Amazon that was badly scratched, mine from Amazon had no loose discs luckily.
post #30 of 43
The only disc on my set that was scratched was the dvd with the video screen footage[since that footage is also on the Blu ray i'm not too worried].......I watched some of the dvd today and it's fine.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Surround Music Formats
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › Pink Floyd Immersion Sets