or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp AQUOS LC-80LE632U Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sharp AQUOS LC-80LE632U Owners Thread - Page 39

post #1141 of 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by serith View Post

60" for $999
70" for $1899
80" for $4499 (best prices for each at BB that I've seen)


Not many people will pay $2600 (plus tax) for 10". Until they have this set for $3999 or lower, I don't think many are going to bite. Yet even at an unrealistic $3999 price, most would still choose online to forgo paying sales tax.

=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

serith, not sure I get your logic. And so far from what I can see, a lot of people have taken a bite and its tasty

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

Had a 70 and even calibrated the pq simply wasnt as good as the 80

Funny you should say that Suzook,,, my 80" picture looks noticably better than the picture I had on my 70 incher.

I wondered if I might have been imagining it, but the PQ really is better on the 80 incher than on the 70 incher.

Cheers
Davyo
post #1142 of 3272
I picked up the 80" at Visions (Canada) on a boxing day sale and mounted it on a Monoprice 6517 and it is awesome. My brother-in-law bought the 70" the same day and I have to say the 80" is a keeper. He hasn't seen the 80 yet but he will have TV envy as soon as he does.
Great TV for the money.
Thanks to billdag for the settings in his earlier post.
I tweaked mine a little bit as the flesh tones were a little too red but everything else is excellent.
I did have some lip sync issues on some HD channels so I turned the lip sync feature on the TV off and set the center channel delay to 100ms and everything is perfect now.
I have to stop watching so much TV now and get back to work on the theatre room.
post #1143 of 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by serith View Post

60" for $999
70" for $1899
80" for $4499 (best prices for each at BB that I've seen)


Not many people will pay $2600 (plus tax) for 10".

70" screen = 2092 square inches
80" screen = 2732 square inches

So it's not 'just' 10" - it is a 30% increase in size.
post #1144 of 3272
Just want to say that I frickin love this TV. I was on the fence coming from a projector and "downsizing" a bit, but like Davyo, I have no regrets. This set is awesome, and it's awesome all of the time. I have a light controlled room (to a degree), so I could watch the projector whenever I wanted. But the image from this set is so much brighter and more detailed, has so much more depth and color pop that I simply can't be disappointed with the "smaller" screen. As a matter of fact, once the set is on, I don't even realize it's a little smaller than my screen was...and I likely wouldn't notice at all if not for the fact that my screen is still hanging just above the TV.

Interesting note - I played MW3 the other day. I left the set in movie mode since I'm not using any of the processing options anyway, and there was a noticeable lag...like I'd move my controller and at least a second would pass before there was a response. I switched to Game Mode, and there was no more lag that I could see. Now, I thought game mode simply shut off all processing, but maybe there's more going on there?? I don't know...don't care either to be honest. I'll just throw it into game mode when I want to play and all is good.

So far, still no audio sync issues. I run everything via HDMI through my Integra DHC-9.9 then to the LC80.
post #1145 of 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1270 View Post

Just want to say that I frickin love this TV. I was on the fence coming from a projector and "downsizing" a bit, but like Davyo, I have no regrets

Yep,,, I dont miss my projectors at all now that I have this 80 incher

Cheers
Davyo
post #1146 of 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1270 View Post

Just want to say that I frickin love this TV. I was on the fence coming from a projector and "downsizing" a bit, but like Davyo, I have no regrets. This set is awesome, and it's awesome all of the time. I have a light controlled room (to a degree), so I could watch the projector whenever I wanted. But the image from this set is so much brighter and more detailed, has so much more depth and color pop that I simply can't be disappointed with the "smaller" screen. As a matter of fact, once the set is on, I don't even realize it's a little smaller than my screen was...and I likely wouldn't notice at all if not for the fact that my screen is still hanging just above the TV.

Interesting note - I played MW3 the other day. I left the set in movie mode since I'm not using any of the processing options anyway, and there was a noticeable lag...like I'd move my controller and at least a second would pass before there was a response. I switched to Game Mode, and there was no more lag that I could see. Now, I thought game mode simply shut off all processing, but maybe there's more going on there?? I don't know...don't care either to be honest. I'll just throw it into game mode when I want to play and all is good.

So far, still no audio sync issues. I run everything via HDMI through my Integra DHC-9.9 then to the LC80.

Ah come on! It can't be without sin! One of you curmudgeons post "The Rest Of The Story" Or, "And now for something completely different"

JK...Can't wait to try this KoolAid!
post #1147 of 3272
Quote:


Ah come on! It can't be without sin! One of you curmudgeons post "The Rest Of The Story" Or, "And now for something completely different"


Okay, fair enough, I do wish it had an aluminum bezel. For the price of the set, I think the plastic is a little cheap looking.

And it seems to be a giant dust magnet. But now I'm really picking nits.
post #1148 of 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1270 View Post

Just want to say that I frickin love this TV. I was on the fence coming from a projector and "downsizing" a bit, but like Davyo, I have no regrets. This set is awesome, and it's awesome all of the time. I have a light controlled room (to a degree), so I could watch the projector whenever I wanted. But the image from this set is so much brighter and more detailed, has so much more depth and color pop that I simply can't be disappointed with the "smaller" screen. As a matter of fact, once the set is on, I don't even realize it's a little smaller than my screen was...and I likely wouldn't notice at all if not for the fact that my screen is still hanging just above the TV.

Interesting note - I played MW3 the other day. I left the set in movie mode since I'm not using any of the processing options anyway, and there was a noticeable lag...like I'd move my controller and at least a second would pass before there was a response. I switched to Game Mode, and there was no more lag that I could see. Now, I thought game mode simply shut off all processing, but maybe there's more going on there?? I don't know...don't care either to be honest. I'll just throw it into game mode when I want to play and all is good.

So far, still no audio sync issues. I run everything via HDMI through my Integra DHC-9.9 then to the LC80.


Movie mode still has some processing that cannot be disabled even when the user adjustable settings are set to OFF, so game mode has the least amount of processing of any mode on the 632.

I have done the tests and here are the results.

Game mode... 30ms



Movie mode... 140ms




Have you tried my 6500k/D65 settings for Game Mode?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=147


Jason
post #1149 of 3272
Quote:


Movie mode still has some processing that cannot be disabled even when the user adjustable settings are set to OFF, so game mode has the least amount of processing of any mode on the 632.

Thanks Jason!

Quote:


Have you tried my 6500k/D65 settings for Game Mode?

No I haven't. Do you think they'll translate to the 80 since they're different panels? I'll give them a shot though, nothing to lose.
post #1150 of 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1270 View Post

Thanks Jason!



No I haven't. Do you think they'll translate to the 80 since they're different panels? I'll give them a shot though, nothing to lose.

I have feedback from owners of all 632 panel sizes that say the settings are working great (some are spot on while others only required some fine tweaking). Just be warned these are for accuracy so they are not as vivid/fun as what you are seeing with out of the box settings. 6500k/D65 can take some adjusting if you are not used to watching it, especially after watching all those blue pushed modes on the 632's. Most people that are using my Game mode settings are using them for everything except broadcast television, no fault of the display/settings, broadcast tv is all over the place.

Jason
post #1151 of 3272
^^^

guys, i can confirm that jason's game mode settings on my set look great. it certainly has that d65/6500k look. if you don't like a calibrated look try his bluer white settings.
post #1152 of 3272
I received my 80 in sharp today. I have not calibrated it yet, and I have not changed any of the default settings. I have not upgraded the firmware either. When I go to a black screen, my TV looks like this:

Attachment 237500

When I am watching TV (non-black screen), I can clearly see the problem too, especially at the top. The problem is pretty bad. The picture was taken in a black room with no lighting. I am going to start troubling-shooting the problem tonight and tomorrow. Has anyone else seen this problem? If so, how did you correct it.

Kurt
LL
post #1153 of 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtwoodfin View Post

I received my 80 in sharp today. I have not calibrated it yet, and I have not changed any of the default settings. I have not upgraded the firmware either. When I go to a black screen, my TV looks like this:

Attachment 237500

When I am watching TV (non-black screen), I can clearly see the problem too, especially at the top. The problem is pretty bad. The picture was taken in a black room with no lighting. I am going to start troubling-shooting the problem tonight and tomorrow. Has anyone else seen this problem? If so, how did you correct it.

Kurt

That is a severe case of clouding. Return it.
post #1154 of 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtwoodfin View Post

I received my 80 in sharp today. I have not calibrated it yet, and I have not changed any of the default settings. I have not upgraded the firmware either. When I go to a black screen, my TV looks like this:

Attachment 237500

When I am watching TV (non-black screen), I can clearly see the problem too, especially at the top. The problem is pretty bad. The picture was taken in a black room with no lighting. I am going to start troubling-shooting the problem tonight and tomorrow. Has anyone else seen this problem? If so, how did you correct it.

Kurt

severely unacceptable....nobody has reported anything of that magnitude..
post #1155 of 3272
WOW, that is far worse than any clouding I have ever seen on any display.

Even with a backlight all the way up that's totally unacceptable.

Jason
post #1156 of 3272
I have already e-mailed the company I purchased it from. I ordered it from a reputable Internet site. I am going to call them in the morning. I am not sure how they will handle it (return it versus warrant replacement). I really do not want to box it back up, or what is left of the box. For those that care, I will definitely keep everyone posted. Minus the clouding issue, I still love it!

Kurt
post #1157 of 3272
Quote:


I have feedback from owners of all 632 panel sizes that say the settings are working great (some are spot on while others only required some fine tweaking). Just be warned these are for accuracy so they are not as vivid/fun as what you are seeing with out of the box settings. 6500k/D65 can take some adjusting if you are not used to watching it, especially after watching all those blue pushed modes on the 632's. Most people that are using my Game mode settings are using them for everything except broadcast television, no fault of the display/settings, broadcast tv is all over the place.

I put these settings in last night and they are pretty good. I only had a chance to evaluate them on some HD Cable stuff, but they are still really good. I'll check out some bluray material tonight.
post #1158 of 3272
Quote:


I really do not want to box it back up, or what is left of the box. For those that care, I will definitely keep everyone posted. Minus the clouding issue, I still love it!

That was one of my concerns about buying this TV. If something was amiss I'd to take it back down and box it up again.

That is some pretty nasty clouding though. I don't think I've seen a posted photo with a pattern like that either...very odd.
post #1159 of 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtwoodfin View Post

I received my 80 in sharp today. I have not calibrated it yet, and I have not changed any of the default settings. I have not upgraded the firmware either. When I go to a black screen, my TV looks like this:

Attachment 237500

When I am watching TV (non-black screen), I can clearly see the problem too, especially at the top. The problem is pretty bad. The picture was taken in a black room with no lighting. I am going to start troubling-shooting the problem tonight and tomorrow. Has anyone else seen this problem? If so, how did you correct it.

Kurt


Holy major defective set batman! That sucks... Its annoying to have to do a replacement of such a large unit...
post #1160 of 3272
I have some quick questions:

1) Can this be solved be easily solved by replacing a part like a hardware board?

2) Is it possible the problem could be a bad cable, direct TV receiver, etc?

3) The seller will replace the TV, is there any advantage/disadvantage of going through Sharp?


Kurt
post #1161 of 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtwoodfin View Post

I have some quick questions:

1) Can this be solved be easily solved by replacing a part like a hardware board?

2) Is it possible the problem could be a bad cable, direct TV receiver, etc?

3) The seller will replace the TV, is there any advantage/disadvantage of going through Sharp?


Kurt

1) doubt it
2) doubt it
3) No idea... guess depends on how cool the seller is with back and forth shipping, etc. I've done a replacement with Sharp in the past on a 60" model. They sent out a new unit, and the guy popped the old unit in the box of the new one (I had already thrown out the original box). Very smooth process overall. Had I tried to return to original seller, would have been a total nightmare...
post #1162 of 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtwoodfin View Post

I have some quick questions:

1) Can this be solved be easily solved by replacing a part like a hardware board?

2) Is it possible the problem could be a bad cable, direct TV receiver, etc?

3) The seller will replace the TV, is there any advantage/disadvantage of going through Sharp?


Kurt

The screen itself is the problem, not a cable. If the seller will replace it, then go that route. In fact, that is what Sharp will tell you. Otherwise, you will be required to take 5 photos using different inputs, etc. Send them to Sharp, and they determine if you get a replacement. You know for sure the seller will replace. There is no guarantee Sharp will replace.
post #1163 of 3272
Anybody know what the latest (maybe only) firmware update is for and what it does?
post #1164 of 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1270 View Post

Anybody know what the latest (maybe only) firmware update is for and what it does?

Think there has only been one and not sure what it does
post #1165 of 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenFry View Post

I ordered the lc80le632u! Got it for $3500 Ontario taxes in (13%)

Wow, would you mind telling where in Ontario you bought at this price? Thanks.
post #1166 of 3272
Hello:
Could some of you share which TV stand you have (or are going to purchase) to go with your 80LE632U? I'm looking for something that has a width similar to the TV ("72-"74). I'm going to mount the TV to the wall...just need something to hold my components, etc.

Trying to find something that'll make my wife happy. At which point, I can pull the trigger on the TV!
post #1167 of 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baptizer View Post

Hello:
Could some of you share which TV stand you have (or are going to purchase) to go with your 80LE632U? I'm looking for something that has a width similar to the TV ("72-"74). I'm going to mount the TV to the wall...just need something to hold my components, etc.

Trying to find something that'll make my wife happy. At which point, I can pull the trigger on the TV!

One alternative, stereotypically wife-acceptable option... Search for credenza on eBay. There are slews for $500-$5000. I bought an absolutely amazing 84" wide mid century piece which, though not deep enough for typical receivers (though deep enough for other components), had a removable rear panel on one of its four sections which allows for plenty of depth and airflow.

It's just the right scale for under a wall hung 70-80" set when I ultimately pull the trigger.

It wasn't inexpensive, but it's a real piece of furnituren as opposed to an A/V piece which I've found to be generally wanting...even at the higher price points.
post #1168 of 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1270 View Post

Anybody know what the latest (maybe only) firmware update is for and what it does?

Post #591 in this thread, should answer your questions.
post #1169 of 3272
Hello everyone and thanks for all your posts...

I pulled the trigger and grabbed one of these last weekend at Costco.

The Sharp 80" is replacing a Vizio 55".

I love the larger image, but as everyone knows, lesser-seen artifacts on smaller displays are increasingly magnified on larger displays. Good images are always source-dependent.
(DirecTV HR-24 HD DVR for TV and Panasonic BluRay DVD - both are HDMI-switched through Pioneer Receiver.)

I believe the viewing angle is inferior to what I had with the Vizio...the Sharp dims noticeably on either side.

Displaying a test pattern with a graduated gray scale (sure miss the test pattern HDNET used to broadcast) and using a Barco LE probe (displays x,y & Y luminance), I was able to crudely adjust the rgb gains & biases to get each of the measurements to x=.31 and y=.33 (my display only reads out to 2 values, so i couldn't achieve a full readout of x=.313 and y=.329).

i have no way to measure or plot gamma (although i did have to choose lower gamma to achieve my results).

After my "calibration" here's settings I have for now:

AV Mode: Standard
OPC: off
Backlight: +2
Contrast: +32
Brightness: 0
Color: +2
Tint: +3
Sharpness: +5

Advanced/
CMS Hue: all default/0
CMS Sat: red -5 (remaining default/0)
CMS Value: all default/0

Color Temp = Low
R Gain Lo +14
G Gain Lo 0
B Gain Lo -3
R Gain Hi 0
G Gain Hi 0
B Gain Hi -8

Motion Enhance off
Active Contrast off
Gamma -2
Film Mode off
DNR middle
Monochrome off
Range of OPC default/Max +5/Min -16

YMMV...
post #1170 of 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by holemania View Post

Hello everyone and thanks for all your posts...

I pulled the trigger and grabbed one of these last weekend at Costco.

The Sharp 80" is replacing a Vizio 55".

I love the larger image, but as everyone knows, lesser-seen artifacts on smaller displays are increasingly magnified on larger displays. Good images are always source-dependent.
(DirecTV HR-24 HD DVR for TV and Panasonic BluRay DVD - both are HDMI-switched through Pioneer Receiver.)

I believe the viewing angle is inferior to what I had with the Vizio...the Sharp dims noticeably on either side.

Displaying a test pattern with a graduated gray scale (sure miss the test pattern HDNET used to broadcast) and using a Barco LE probe (displays x,y & Y luminance), I was able to crudely adjust the rgb gains & biases to get each of the measurements to x=.31 and y=.33 (my display only reads out to 2 values, so i couldn't achieve a full readout of x=.313 and y=.329).

i have no way to measure or plot gamma (although i did have to choose lower gamma to achieve my results).

After my "calibration" here's settings I have for now:

AV Mode: Standard
OPC: off
Backlight: +2
Contrast: +32
Brightness: 0
Color: +2
Tint: +3
Sharpness: +5

Advanced/
CMS Hue: all default/0
CMS Sat: red -5 (remaining default/0)
CMS Value: all default/0

Color Temp = Low
R Gain Lo +14
G Gain Lo 0
B Gain Lo -3
R Gain Hi 0
G Gain Hi 0
B Gain Hi -8

Motion Enhance off
Active Contrast off
Gamma -2
Film Mode off
DNR middle
Monochrome off
Range of OPC default/Max +5/Min -16

YMMV...

Really needs.to be set up in movie mode
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp AQUOS LC-80LE632U Owners Thread