or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp AQUOS LC-80LE632U Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sharp AQUOS LC-80LE632U Owners Thread - Page 5

post #121 of 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post

Thanks for the review. I am still on the fence. I have one ordered, but I may swap it for the 65" VT30 before delivery. I really, really want the big set, but I am not a big fan of motion blur. Obviously you have decided that the pros out weight the cons, and I appreciate your first-hand opinion. Super low black levels and minor uniformity inconsistency's are not that big of a deal for me, so i guess I have to decide if I can live with a little blur.

Motion blur is a very common topic that comes up frequently, particularly when comparing Plasma sets Vs LCDs. From my personal experience, I find that today's LCD's are fast enough that I am seldom, if ever aware of motion smearing or trailing artifacts. Years ago, of course, that wasn't the case when the response times of LCD's was abysmal. There are however, times when it may be visible. One case is rapidly scrolling screen credits and perhaps 60 FPS 720P sportscasts.
In the case of films originally shot at 24 FPS, there is so much blur whenever the camera is moving that the question of motion blur is moot. Just freeze frame a film when blur is detected and you will see that the blur is still there because it is in the film itself. That is actually a good thing because if each frame was crystal clear during motion it would be like watching a strobe. Take a look at the movie Crank or Crank 2 with Jason Statham. This movie for some reason (artistic intent ?) was filmed with high speed shutter and it is pretty hard to look at. Very juddery. 24 FPS needs motion blur to look smooth.
I came across a fascinating article from a very well reputed video Guru, Dr. Raymond M. Soneira, president of DispalyMate, who explains and tests motion blur with a variety of displays including CRT, Plasma, and LCD. An article WELL worth reading......Pay particular attentionto the "Summary and Recommendations" section. Here is the link -

http://www.displaymate.com/LCD_Respo...e_ShootOut.htm

Cheers!
post #122 of 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know why Sharp did not include 3D in this set?

Yes, I'm curious too. I would've bought it yesterday - if it had 3D...

And TheTonik - thanks for the pictures - we're all jealous
post #123 of 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know why Sharp did not include 3D in this set?

To deliver it obscenely cheaper -- and quickly.
post #124 of 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdag View Post

Motion blur is a very common topic that comes up frequently, particularly when comparing Plasma sets Vs LCDs. From my personal experience, I find that today's LCD's are fast enough that I am seldom, if ever aware of motion smearing or trailing artifacts. Years ago, of course, that wasn't the case when the response times of LCD's was abysmal. There are however, times when it may be visible. One case is rapidly scrolling screen credits and perhaps 60 FPS 720P sportscasts.
In the case of films originally shot at 24 FPS, there is so much blur whenever the camera is moving that the question of motion blur is moot. Just freeze frame a film when blur is detected and you will see that the blur is still there because it is in the film itself. That is actually a good thing because if each frame was crystal clear during motion it would be like watching a strobe. Take a look at the movie Crank or Crank 2 with Jason Statham. This movie for some reason (artistic intent ?) was filmed with high speed shutter and it is pretty hard to look at. Very juddery. 24 FPS needs motion blur to look smooth.
I came across a fascinating article from a very well reputed video Guru, Dr. Raymond M. Soneira, president of DispalyMate, who explains and tests motion blur with a variety of displays including CRT, Plasma, and LCD. An article WELL worth reading......Pay particular attentionto the "Summary and Recommendations" section. Here is the link -

http://www.displaymate.com/LCD_Respo...e_ShootOut.htm

Cheers!

That was an interesting read. Maybe I am just conditioned to think plasmas look smoother, but to my eyes it sure seems like generally they are smoother. Hmm. I'm leaning towards the 80 incher again.
post #125 of 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know why Sharp did not include 3D in this set?

Because 3D is a (dumb) fad that is SO 2010. It's over. Trust me. Nobody wants to wear dorky glasses at home. Back to size and picture quality.
post #126 of 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTonik View Post

Movie mode, no other adjustments:

Great screen shots! Nice sharp pics. The last 2 pics impressed me. Widescreen? Black Bars? I need to see this one in person!
post #127 of 3272
My local BB finely had one of these set up. Pictures posted here really don't do it justice. This TV is absolutely huge. For the first time I can honestly say its to big for my needs. It has been ages since I could say that. The thing towers even the 70" sets next to it and makes the 60" sets look like 32" models in scale and bling factor.

Performance wise I thought it looked pretty good and had much brighter and even back lighting then the 70" 735 next to it. It was playing the regular BB loop so it was hard to get anything else out of it. However it seemed to process the poor signal much better with cleaner detail.

Pixel wise they became invisible to my eyes at about the 5' mark. I would really like to see how a quality mastered blu ray would look on it. You just might be able to get away sitting as close as maybe 8' to this set. SD would look unwatchable at that distance I am sure.

I think this set will end up selling about as well as expected. It even walks over the Elite 70" in size. For many consumers size is everything and a lot of people have huge rooms for a TV like this. My father bought a 60" Samsung last year and has been wishing for something larger ever since. His basement consist of a bar area bigger then some taverns and a large room with a pool table and a large seating area. The room is like 100' by 75' in size. I think this TV would work out much better for him. I will mention it and see if he wants to look at it.
post #128 of 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post

My local BB finely had one of these set up. Pictures posted here really don't do it justice. This TV is absolutely huge.
Pixel wise they became invisible to my eyes at about the 5' mark. I would really like to see how a quality mastered blu ray would look on it. You just might be able to get away sitting as close as maybe 8' to this set. SD would look unwatchable at that distance I am sure.

The room is like 100' by 75' in size. I think this TV would work out much better for him. I will mention it and see if he wants to look at it.

Thanks for the feedback on your experience with the beast. I think this baby would be close to perfect if it had 3D, I really enjoy 3D on my 60" when I view it - much more so than I thought and it would only be better on an 80" beast such as this. Those that say it's a passing fad are in denial considering those that control the camera's in the industry and film studio's will make sure it's here to stay - they can control the media source and devices used and it shall only evolve not fade away anywhere. Who's camera's do you think they are using? Sony and Panasonic for the most part and they are heavily invested globally.

You can't be serious about the size of his room unless he's living in Bill Gates home though - that's 7500 sq ft in one room or about 3 times the size of an average entire home square footage. You'd need a Theater Screen for that baby - I think you must be a fisherman.
post #129 of 3272
More pics.

Apologies in advance to the film buffs. This panel sees about 80% for gaming and 20% for films, so I have far more to show of games than movies.






post #130 of 3272
looks great to me
post #131 of 3272
Hmm, you only use it for gaming and a few movies. That got me thinking. I can buy this 80" for a movie room and then buy a 65" VT30 for the living room for broadcast tv, and still spend less than for one Elite 70X5.
post #132 of 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintech View Post

Hmm, you only use it for gaming and a few movies. That got me thinking. I can buy this 80" for a movie room and then buy a 65" VT30 for the living room for broadcast tv, and still spend less than for one Elite 70X5.

your not the only person who will figure that out real soon as well & that's why I see the "Elites" & 8o" Sharps coming down in price .

Plus Sharp knows this as well & will add Elite features to a Sharp branded Display at better price points as well


all the early adopters of the Elite's will get the bugs worked outta the tech & the features will show up on better Sharp's & have a better price as well ..
post #133 of 3272
Glad Sharp appears to have fixed the keystoning problem of the 70" sets. The darkened corners of those sets were a complete turnoff.
post #134 of 3272
Sorry for the superfluous post... Those reviews and pictures sound/look nice. An 80"er would be a great addition to my living room!
post #135 of 3272
Its one hell of an option for sure.......
post #136 of 3272
Me want
post #137 of 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know why Sharp did not include 3D in this set?

I ran across this quote of Mark Viken, Sharp marketing VP, in TWICE:

"Viken said Sharp has decided to introduce new screen sizes, like the 80-inch and the 70-inch before it, starting with entry-level products, followed later by step-up models. This explains why 3D and Quattron did not appear in the first 80-inch model. Additional model classes for the screen sizes won't be announced until next year, a Sharp representative said."

Looks like an 80" with 3D is coming for those that want it (not my bag....)
post #138 of 3272
Can anyone tell me the VESA screw pattern for mounting this monster?

Also looking for owners manual link.

Thanks - John

(just ordered from Chris at CP, Hopefully have it mounted and dialed-in for the Thanksgiving/Football feast at our house this year!)
post #139 of 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie86 View Post

Can anyone tell me the VESA screw pattern for mounting this monster?

Also looking for owners manual link.

Thanks - John

(just ordered from Chris at CP, Hopefully have it mounted and dialed-in for the Thanksgiving/Football feast at our house this year!)

Looks like VESA 400(H) by 600(W)

Page 72 below:

Sharp 80LE632 Manual
post #140 of 3272
Went back to Fry`s with my son-in-law yesterday & he brought along a BR copy of Avatar and had the sales rep test it out on this 80". The sales rep claims no adjustments had been made and i can say without hesitation the colors, uniformity, & motion was definitely nice on this display right out of the box. While this unit dont have local dimming it is pretty much close to the PQ of my present Samsung 55" A950 & the Sony XBR8. The blacks & whites are also very good as Chad mentioned in his review. NO vignetting in the corners & noticed very little grain on any of the Avatar chapters and visually appeared best from around a 10 to 14ft. distance. They had the unit under some rather bright overhead lights and the PQ still looked fine with minimal reflections compared to the high gloss screen of the Samsungs.

IMO once Sharp drops the wholesale price on this display and the vendors start selling it below 4K quite a few will be purchased before Super Bowl Sunday. I highly suggest the folks that have an area large enough to position this display in your home go review it.

Regards, Ron
post #141 of 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox1 View Post


IMO once Sharp drops the wholesale price on this display and the vendors start selling it below 4K quite a few will be purchased before Super Bowl Sunday. I highly suggest the folks that have an area large enough to position this display in your home go review it.

Regards, Ron

It may not take long at all to see it below 4k. As one large retailer has it right at 4k right now.
post #142 of 3272
How would this perform as a PC monitor? Too much pixellation?
post #143 of 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Nemesis View Post

How would this perform as a PC monitor? Too much pixellation?

Thats what I use mine for. HTPC via HDMI for both Blu-Ray and PC gaming. Looks great!
post #144 of 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpak2005 View Post

Because 3D is a (dumb) fad that is SO 2010. It's over. Trust me. Nobody wants to wear dorky glasses at home. Back to size and picture quality.

Same garbage that was spewed by luddites in 1999 about "HDTV".

LOVING the 3D on my 70LE735U, absolutely incredible experience 100% of the time, and am already looking forward to the next-generation of gaming consoles from both Microsoft and Sony which will have hardware capable of running games at 60fps with full 3D as well.

Also looking forward to the inevitable 80-inch model with 3D as well, it's now a must-have feature for me without question.

/debate.
post #145 of 3272
3d or not for what this is currently on sale for in the market it has become the steal of the century
post #146 of 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTonik View Post

Thats what I use mine for. HTPC via HDMI for both Blu-Ray and PC gaming. Looks great!

care to post your settings !!
post #147 of 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

care to post your settings !!

Chad will be here on Saturday to calibrate. Right now just using Movie mode.
post #148 of 3272
tell him I said hello
post #149 of 3272
Hello guys,

This TV looks amazing! I can t wait to order mine
The problem is that I live in France, does anyone knows a reseller that can ship it overseas? Of course I m willing to pay extra, I think it could be doable if it is sent as fret, it will costume big bucks but I don t have a choice since this baby will probably never be released in France. By the way tv format, voltage etc.. Is not an issue for me since I already have the majority of my AV equipment coming from Japan and Us

Thanks for your help

Darkshu
post #150 of 3272
Long time lurker, first time poster here. I had my set delivered yesterday. This is by far the most difficult TV I've had to calibrate. Every change I made seemed to have a domino effect, which needed compensation in other settings. Took 4 hrs to get it right.

Anyways, here's a screenshot:



And here are my settings:

Mode Movie
OPC Off
Backlight +8
Contrast +30
Brightness -6
Color 0
Tint +1
Sharpness +1
CMS Hue
R -12
Y -30
G 0
C 0
B 0
M 0
CMS Saturation
R -6
Y -2
G -18
C -9
B 0
M -30
CMS Value
R +19
Y 0
G -30
C 0
B 0
M 0
Color Temp Low
R Gain (LO) -7
G Gain (LO) -6
B Gain (LO) -11
R Gain (HI) -5
G Gain (HI) -5
B Gain (HI) -7
Motion Enhancement 120Hz Low
Active Contrast Off
Gamma Adjust +2
Film Mode Standard
Digital Noise Reduction High
Monochrome Off
Range of OPC
Max +12
Min +8

Let me know how the settings look for you. Curious how well they translate to other sets.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp AQUOS LC-80LE632U Owners Thread