or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Dayton / Lima, OH - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dayton / Lima, OH - HDTV - Page 217

post #6481 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromojito View Post

For several years I have been receiving the Dayton local stations in HD through Time Warner. This isn't through the cable box but the unencrypted Clear QAM signal on digital TV's and my WinTV tuner in my PC. I recently moved to Eaton and still was receiving them until a couple of weeks ago. Now I don't get WDTN or WHIO in HD anymore. I think there are a few more but I'd have to check. Can anyone else confirm this?

Chris

On April 20th TWC Cincy re-aligned their lineup of clear QAM stations. I had to rescan and manually add the Cincy HD stations to my lineup on my Win7 Media Center here in Fairfield. Might be a similar situation there to do with your disappearing stations.
post #6482 of 6610
I scanned a few times with no difference. I tried it once more and WinTV did find new channels but will not add them to the channel list. Guess it's time to reinstall.
post #6483 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromojito View Post

I scanned a few times with no difference. I tried it once more and WinTV did find new channels but will not add them to the channel list. Guess it's time to reinstall.

You are better off simply adding the channels manually. I will never understand how any old TV laying around the house with a QAM tuner can get the channels right but Media Center PCs have HUGE issues. I posted a Quick and dirty walkthrough on the Green Button ages ago and can paste it here if you need it.
post #6484 of 6610
Better yet I found a pictorial walk-through to manually map channels: http://www.hdtvtunerinfo.com/win7mcqamsetup.html

I've given up and done it this way for 2 years now.
post #6485 of 6610
I can't find where to post a new thread.

Anyway.

I'm about 37 miles LOS from their tower. I have good reception on 7, 16, 22, 45, around 85 signal strength. Channel 2 is around 50% and fading in and out. I've rescanned several times but limited improvement. Anyone else having issues?
post #6486 of 6610
Indoor antenna or outdoor? To answer your question, no, no issues last time I watched WDTN but it has been a few days. I generally watch WLWT for NBC programming.
post #6487 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsi87 View Post

I can't find where to post a new thread.

This thread is the proper place for local issues and chatter for the Dayton area. A new thread would likely be ignored given the scope of this forum.
post #6488 of 6610
From Springfield...

Simple repoint of my outdoor antenna made a world of difference. They're still not the strongest signal I get, but it doesn't cut out anymore.

Like the poster above, I often switched to WLWT to get my NBC stuff before getting the orientation correct.
post #6489 of 6610
"Indoor antenna or outdoor? To answer your question, no, no issues last time I watched WDTN but it has been a few days. I generally watch WLWT for NBC programming."


Outdoor tower 45'. North of Dayton. I'm thinking it's a RG6 problem but it's okay in some rooms but not on the HDHomerun and the den where I have a HTPC. I think I have a new RG6 laying around so I'll string it when I have time.
post #6490 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsi87 View Post


Outdoor tower 45'. North of Dayton. I'm thinking it's a RG6 problem but it's okay in some rooms but not on the HDHomerun and the den where I have a HTPC. I think I have a new RG6 laying around so I'll string it when I have time.


Could be the cable but I doubt it since the rest of the Dayton channels come in, still it couldn't hurt to try.

Ever consider a preamp?
post #6491 of 6610
I'd suggest the issue is with the Homerun device as there have been many that have had similar issues (certain channels work on other tuners but not on the HR).
post #6492 of 6610
Naw. I have a RG6 running direct from the antenna so I can tape 2 programs using the HDHomerun and watch a regular OTA program.
post #6493 of 6610
Got one on it.
post #6494 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsi87 View Post

Got one on it.

Take it off. You could be over driving the tuner.
post #6495 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

Take it off. You could be over driving the tuner.

Agree...
post #6496 of 6610
Just a note. Verizon Wireless stood up their 4G LTE network in Dayton on 16 June (700 Mhz). I don't know how close they run to WDTN or WKEF, but if you have a full band UHF amp, I can see the Verizon signals getting amplified as well. It may cause some issues with previously stable setups.
post #6497 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager6 View Post

Just a note. Verizon Wireless stood up their 4G LTE network in Dayton on 16 June (700 Mhz). I don't know how close they run to WDTN or WKEF, but if you have a full band UHF amp, I can see the Verizon signals getting amplified as well. It may cause some issues with previously stable setups.

Could be something like that, but those tv channels at 37 miles away would be no problem for any kind of amp.
post #6498 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim58hsv View Post
Could be something like that, but those tv channels at 37 miles away would be no problem for any kind of amp.
Amps often times add distortion and, in addition to amplifying the signals you want, they are also amplifying the noise, which could include "noise" generated by nearby radio towers (FM, cell phone, etc.). It's definitely worth trying to remove it to see what the result is.
post #6499 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim58hsv View Post

Could be something like that, but those tv channels at 37 miles away would be no problem for any kind of amp.

Cincinnati. Dayton. and Columbus are all now lit up on Verizon 4G LTE. Checking their map from early June to after the 16th, they obviously changed radiation patterns as Springboro was covered by the Cincinnati implementation prior to June 16th and there are new dead spots in LTE coverage in the Franklin-Springboro area after Dayton was brought on-line.

Now if you have a 4G LTE tower near you, the proximity of the cell tower is as important as the TV station's. I am not sure that anyone has manufactured an amplifier that stops above channel 51 or a low pass filter at channel 52. If the amp is overdriven, you can get all sorts of problems.

I was told by a Verizon sales representative, just prior to the June 16th turn on date, was that Dayton was supposed to go on line with Cincinnati and Columbus early in the year, but they had 'local TV station interference issues to resolve'. It was just a sales weasel, so I took it for what it was worth.
post #6500 of 6610
"Take it off. You could be over driving the tuner."

Nope, had one on my antenna for 15 years. It's something else. The signal is showing around 50% or less for Channel 2 and 75 or better for all the other Dayton stations. Gonna swap out TV's to make sure the tuner isn't the issue.
post #6501 of 6610
well every channel except 16 is showing 85% + and 16 is 75%. Other night I scanned and got Muncie and Ft Wayne. LOL
post #6502 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsi87 View Post

"Take it off. You could be over driving the tuner."

Nope, had one on my antenna for 15 years. It's something else. The signal is showing around 50% or less for Channel 2 and 75 or better for all the other Dayton stations. Gonna swap out TV's to make sure the tuner isn't the issue.

Did you even try it? It could even be the amp going bad.
post #6503 of 6610
Wow. I feel silly. I just bought a Vizio E322VL and screwed in my Time Warner Cable coax cable into it, and was shocked by all the channels I got.

I am receiving the normal 480i channels 2-70, but I also get a bunch of other channels, 720p and and 1080i, like 75-2 and more. I must get 100 channels. On what I thought was basic analog cable.

Where can I find a breakdown of what all these channels are?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I am trying to learn.

Edit*
After some more searching on here, I came across a site that lists clearqam channels. I think this is exactly what I was looking for.
http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun...lineup_6342886
post #6504 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by preludejtstyle View Post

Wow. I feel silly. I just bought a Vizio E322VL and screwed in my Time Warner Cable coax cable into it, and was shocked by all the channels I got.

Looks like you are one of the lucky few who get both Dayton and Cincinnati HD locals in the clear. No such luck here. (Fairfield, northern suburb of Cincy)

For those out there scratching their heads after clicking his link you need to use the drop-down list to switch it from OTA channels to cable clear QAM channels.
post #6505 of 6610
SiliconDustHDHomeRun + BeyondTV with TWC 2-70 service (no digital boxes).

Everything was working great up until mid July. Since then, I've not been able to get any of the 98 and 99 TWC subchannels (which appear to be the SD digital feeds of most of the HD channels I can find, plus several we don't have as HD -- 12 and 19 from Cincinnati).

All the digital TVs in the house can still tune to the subchannels, and the SiliconDust sees the 98/99 subchannels about one out of every five scans, and when it does hit and include the channel in the digital tuner status, it comes up with nothing when I click the channel in the QuickView. BeyondTV can't tune the channels at all, I presume because the SiliconDust is having trouble. Non 98-99 subchannels appear to be all there, and operating nicely (Highway Patrol every morning at 5AM! on THS).

Anybody else run into the 98 and 99 TWC subchannels vanishing from a SiliconDust? Anybody have a thought of why this would be happening?

Cran
post #6506 of 6610
New subchannel in Dayton 9/26/11?
Looks like "Bounce TV" should be on the air in Dayton this Monday @ 12noon on WBDT 26.2 Cincinnati, TBD.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DMAS 27, 30, 43, 60, 62
LIN TV will carry the proposed broadcast network for African Americans in Indianapolis, Hartford-New Haven, Norfolk, Dayton and Mobile-Pensacola for a projected 50% clearance at launch this fall.
post #6507 of 6610
I hope someone here can help me.

I have several TV Tuners in my house that can receive Clear QAM signals. It seems that all of them can not receive WHIO HD and WPTD HD. According to the Silicon Dust website WHIO HD is supposed to be at 75.2 and WPTD HD is 75.5.

I have re-scanned for digital channels several times and no channels in the 75.* range are found. When I tune these channels directly the TV will not tune to that channel. I get all the other Clear QAM channels without a problem. I only subscribe to basic cable. Could the filter on my line be blocking the signal?

Thanks if you can help.

Dave
post #6508 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabadger View Post

I hope someone here can help me.

I have several TV Tuners in my house that can receive Clear QAM signals. It seems that all of them can not receive WHIO HD and WPTD HD. According to the Silicon Dust website WHIO HD is supposed to be at 75.2 and WPTD HD is 75.5.

I have re-scanned for digital channels several times and no channels in the 75.* range are found. When I tune these channels directly the TV will not tune to that channel. I get all the other Clear QAM channels without a problem. I only subscribe to basic cable. Could the filter on my line be blocking the signal?

Thanks if you can help.

Dave

I am convinced TWC FUBARS the channel mappings for clear QAM on purpose. On mine it even appears they now assign wrong channels, for instance, I scanned manually and found channel 12.1 and Media Center was determined to assign it 19.2. I realize this is a PC issue but I bet the same BS is taking place on other appliances that have QAM tuners. Oddly, the one TV I have that has a QAM tuner seems to do OK, but both Win7 Media Center PCs I have show the constantly changing channel behavior.

I live north of Cincy in Fairfield, so my issues are with the Cincy HD stations. I also only have the TWC basic cable (the $14 variety, locals only plus WGN and CNN HN).

[edit] Also, what caught my attention in your post was where you said the channels in the 75.* range dont even show up. This is exactly what I see in Media Center and I have to add them manually.
post #6509 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubster View Post

I am convinced TWC FUBARS the channel mappings for clear QAM on purpose. On mine it even appears they now assign wrong channels, for instance, I scanned manually and found channel 12.1 and Media Center was determined to assign it 19.2. I realize this is a PC issue but I bet the same BS is taking place on other appliances that have QAM tuners. Oddly, the one TV I have that has a QAM tuner seems to do OK, but both Win7 Media Center PCs I have show the constantly changing channel behavior.

I live north of Cincy in Fairfield, so my issues are with the Cincy HD stations. I also only have the TWC basic cable (the $14 variety, locals only plus WGN and CNN HN).

[edit] Also, what caught my attention in your post was where you said the channels in the 75.* range dont even show up. This is exactly what I see in Media Center and I have to add them manually.

Yeah, even though cable has to provide the broadcast channels unencrypted, I don't think there is any rule/regulation that states they have to do it consistently on the same channel. So, moving it around for whatever reason/motivation they have is no big deal since their set top boxes will adjust to the channel mappings they set, and they really don't care at all if it screws up your own stuff, as they want you to pay for a box and do it "their" way anyway.
post #6510 of 6610
It is NOT a conspriacy..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Dayton / Lima, OH - HDTV