or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › OWNERS Thread for the Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D Projector
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OWNERS Thread for the Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D Projector - Page 5

post #121 of 4428
It could be my camera. I know the whites are being crushed a bit, so it's probably true that the blacks are as well. That may well be do to my settings. I'm still experimenting. I do know there is more shadow image than what I could show in my photo. But your statement about the two units may also be correct.
post #122 of 4428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Medina View Post

How's the brightness of this projector? Is it bright enough to light up a 10-feet wide, 2:35, 1.3 gain screen?

Alot of it has to do with personal prefference. But I light a 140" wide 1.0 screen with a Panny 4000 and the 7000 is suppose to be brighter.
post #123 of 4428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryad View Post

It could be my camera. The pictures do darken down a bit and also build an additional compression in them. I wouldn't go strictly by a photo. You can discern more detail when the picture is in motion rather than being paused. Problem is for a photo it just blurs. But your statement about the two units may also be correct.

I wouldn't read anything into an uncalibrated (right?) screenshot... Previous Panasonic projectors have excellent shadow detail and don't crush blacks..Panasonic of course has no way of knowing what size screen, throw distance, screen gain or ambient lighting the end user may have. After calibrating with WOW, S&M, AVIA or whatever one chooses to use for setting contrast/black levels etc etc, we should be able to get pretty close to a super fantastic pq. Those pictures will look much better than an uncalibrated projector screen shot uploaded and viewed on a low contrast, non-hd display that most of us are viewing on... (imho)...kf (mine arrives 10/5 to replace a panny 3000).
post #124 of 4428
I have made no attempts yet to calibrate the image. I'm just playing yet and I did state that. However the images do look pretty good on a high def moniter. At least I think so. My camera, however, can't resolve every detail that the screen shows.
post #125 of 4428
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmfellows View Post

Those pictures will look much better than an uncalibrated projector screen shot uploaded and viewed on a low contrast, non-hd display that most of us are viewing on... (imho)...kf (mine arrives 10/5 to replace a panny 3000).

I know it's not my display because I did a gamma & contrast crank on the lowest 25% to see if the details were preserved. This would eliminate any black crush due to my LCD monitor. There were 3 shades. Black, dark grey, medium grey. So it's likely the camera or the uncalibrated panny.

A simple +3 stop setting on the camera while using point spot light meter on a dark scene will determine if the detail is there or not. You'll get white crush on the camera ofcourse , but it will bring out the dark detail if it is present.
post #126 of 4428
Did the same pic on my JVC RS10 when the film was released.

JVC RS10


Panasonic PT-AE7000
post #127 of 4428
Will you all please provide info about which screen you are using?!? The screen obviously makes a hell of a difference to what image a projector is throwing,in fact it`s crucial no?
I`m an extremely happy owner of the 4000 with a Draper glass bead Luma 2,a set up which is tremendous for me as I need no wide viewing angle at all.But if I(when I!) upgrade to the 7000 I`m thinking I might get a new screen. As brilliant as the Draper is,I think this new 7000 would show it`s flaws....any suggestions? Apologies if this is wronly posted but I do stick by my suggestion of us listing which screen we are all using as nothing is more important to a projector outside the lighting set up of the viewing room,no? Thanks and congrats to Panasonic for their great line of projectors.
post #128 of 4428
Nice pic. It is no doubt mostly my camera.
post #129 of 4428
Still, the differences in those two pictures are bigger than I'd like. I sincerely hope that it is just projector and/or calibration. A lot of detail is lost in blacks there.
post #130 of 4428
I have to apologize. I just quickly put some photos up to give an idea of how the picture looks and the color. I didn't think they looked too bad, but I guess my camera wasn't up to the challenge. Looking at the photos. My pictures look much more compressed. I really wasn't expecting someone to start examining them at the pixel level. I should know better around here. I will remove all photos in question. Again please accept my apologies.
post #131 of 4428
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

Still, the differences in those two pictures are bigger than I'd like. I sincerely hope that it is just projector and/or calibration. A lot of detail is lost in blacks there.

Screen shots mean absolutely nothing unless they are taken with the same source material, same size and gain screen, same environment and same camera with the exact same setting such as WB, F-stop, etc....... I would caution everyone on making any judgments from pics.
post #132 of 4428
The merits of comparing photos taken of projected images has been discussed many times on these forums. Unless the photos are taken with the exact same exposure settings under identical conditions (room, room lighting, screen, etc...) you cannot compare the photos. The slightest change in exposure can have a huge impact on dark detail.

Not to mention, most DSLRs (let's not even mention compact cameras) can only capture a dynamic range of ~9EV (which translates to a 512:1 contrast ratio). So that dynamic range has to be leveraged carefully on the part of the image you want to analyze (shadow details in this case).

Also throw some JPG compression in the mix, along with the capabilities and calibration of the display you're viewing the photos on.

To me, the photo of the AE7000 posted by Kevin seems underexposed. Which is why the entire image appears dimmer compared the RS10 photo. This would definitely crush the blacks.

Note: I'm on the pre-order list for the RS45, so I have no vested interest in the AE7000 being proven to have JVC black levels or anything.
post #133 of 4428
This is my first projector and I am using a 1.0 gain 100" screen seated approximately 11 feet. The build of the projector is very solid and has a nicely designed look and feel to it. Setup was very easy - just one HDMI cable in from my Denon 3311 amp. The unit lit up and the screen is very uniform. It took me about half an hour to center and straighten the projector picture, which overall was easy, but I understand where the comments about difficulty with the joystick come from - but again, hopefully this is a one time setup deal. From reading various reviews I began with the Rec709 preset in eco mode, which is silent. Did a quick calibration using the WOW disc. The picture is sharp and detailed, resolving all of the 1080p resolution. However, after viewing a couple of demo scenes on the disc, I felt the snap and pop simply was not what I expected. There was no dimensionality to the picture - disappointed. I then switched sources to the XBOX 360, and tried Game mode. The picture was now plasma-like, and I turned on Frame Creation, and was very impressed. Switched back to Blu-Ray and re-calibrated using the Normal mode. Stunning. THIS met and exceeded my expectations for overall picture quality, sharpness, and snap. I know that the color may not be absolutely perfect, but the brightness in Rec709, in my humble opinion is, just does not make for a great picture, regardless of how accurate the colors are.

I've really looked forward to my first projector, and enjoyed reading the comments thus far. I have not tried 3D yet, but will post again when I do.
post #134 of 4428
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstabb View Post

The merits of comparing photos taken of projected images has been discussed many times on these forums. Unless the photos are taken with the exact same exposure settings under identical conditions (room, room lighting, screen, etc...) you cannot compare the photos.

I will add to this and even say that photos are meaningless EVEN if taken at the exact same settings. Very few people have good enough equipment and have two projectors calibrated accurately enough to be able to do such a thing. There is only one time when you can look at a photo as a reference, that is if a reliable source took the picture and is telling you that he saw the same thing with his own eyes when looking at the projected image directly before he took the photo.

All a photo does is to convey the end-result visually, but as others have said screenshots are less than worthless for comparing.
post #135 of 4428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Basile View Post

This is my first projector and I am using a 1.0 gain 100" screen seated approximately 11 feet. The build of the projector is very solid and has a nicely designed look and feel to it. Setup was very easy - just one HDMI cable in from my Denon 3311 amp. The unit lit up and the screen is very uniform. It took me about half an hour to center and straighten the projector picture, which overall was easy, but I understand where the comments about difficulty with the joystick come from - but again, hopefully this is a one time setup deal. From reading various reviews I began with the Rec709 preset in eco mode, which is silent. Did a quick calibration using the WOW disc. The picture is sharp and detailed, resolving all of the 1080p resolution. However, after viewing a couple of demo scenes on the disc, I felt the snap and pop simply was not what I expected. There was no dimensionality to the picture - disappointed. I then switched sources to the XBOX 360, and tried Game mode. The picture was now plasma-like, and I turned on Frame Creation, and was very impressed. Switched back to Blu-Ray and re-calibrated using the Normal mode. Stunning. THIS met and exceeded my expectations for overall picture quality, sharpness, and snap. I know that the color may not be absolutely perfect, but the brightness in Rec709, in my humble opinion is, just does not make for a great picture, regardless of how accurate the colors are.

I've really looked forward to my first projector, and enjoyed reading the comments thus far. I have not tried 3D yet, but will post again when I do.

Nice impressions. Any comments on input lag for gaming?
post #136 of 4428
Assuming all things are "equal", I would still prefer the old RS10's picture since I do not need 3D. A used RS10 would be less expensive than the new ae4000.

In terms of bias, I used to have JVCs and my backup is an old Panny ae900u.
post #137 of 4428
Mark,what is your TV source, Directv,Comcast,etc??? Interested to know how sports from those feeds are? Thanks and good luck.
post #138 of 4428
I ordered one late last night.. this is my first projector.. I have a conduit in the ceiling for where I had hoped to put a projector some 6 years ago when I was building out the room..

But what cables do I need to run up to it? It's a 25 ft cable run from device to projector.

Obviously 3 HDMI cables
Several CAT5 or CAT6 for either ethernet or Infared Repeating, or some weird HDMI over CAT5 task I may want to do in the future?? I'm thinking maybe 4 CAT5's just in case..
I don't think I'll bother with a VGA cable anymore..
What are the two 3.5mm looking jacks? Do I need a serial cable of some sort? Will that run over CAT5, I hope, w/ an adapter of some sort to go to the 9-pin RS232? Obviously I'll be missing a conductor for the 9th pin..

Thanks for any tips! I need to get my cables ordered..
post #139 of 4428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryad View Post

I have to apologize. I just quickly put some photos up to give an idea of how the picture looks and the color. I didn't think they looked too bad, but I guess my camera wasn't up to the challenge. Looking at the photos. My pictures look much more compressed. I really wasn't expecting someone to start examining them at the pixel level. I should know better around here. Again my projector is not calibrated and I made no claim to. My screen is lower gain but from my perspective, in person I'm happy with it and given my space, I really don't think I personally would want anything much brighter. I will remove all but the photo in question. Again please accept my apologies.

No need to apologize. My only concern was people who may not know better looking at the pic and reply and thinking "wow, I don't want that projector, it seems it crushes black, so I'll try to find one that doesn't". The pic of TDK comparing the 2 scenes, the bottom one seems to crush whites, detail lost in the mask..which again, doesn't mean the projector is prone to "white crush"..
I enjoy reading everyone's impression of their new projector, but know I shouldn't cancel my order if I detect a lack of shadow detail on a screen shot. I hope you post some more though! It's fun. kf
post #140 of 4428
Why put pictures from jvc here ? There is no better place to do that ?
I am very greatful for the pictures from ae7000 posted here and must be a better place to put comments about jvc projectors and anyone with minimal of intelligence will not to take this pictures "so serious". Its for fun and make the "owners thread" more beautiful.
post #141 of 4428
I do not have a Time Warner box in the theater room yet. Thanks.
post #142 of 4428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin 3000 View Post

Did the same pic on my JVC RS10 when the film was released.

JVC RS10


Panasonic PT-AE7000

going just on these pics the rs-10's image looks alot sharper. kind of a disappointment from the panny
post #143 of 4428
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymic View Post

Why put pictures from jvc here ? There is no better place to do that ?
I am very greatful for the pictures from ae7000 posted here and must be a better place to put comments about jvc projectors and anyone with minimal of intelligence will not to take this pictures "so serious". Its for fun and make the "owners thread" more beautiful.

waaahhhhh
post #144 of 4428
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1969 View Post

going just on these pics the rs-10's image looks alot sharper. kind of a disappointment from the panny

All those two pics say to me is: Kevin 3000 has a lot nicer camera, and is a much better photographer of projected images, than the owner of the Panny.
post #145 of 4428
Man, this is only a picture. Take from a no professional camera. This not reflect the truth of picture quality from AE7000.
post #146 of 4428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

All those two pics say to me is: Kevin 3000 has a lot nicer camera, and is a much better photographer of projected images, than the owner of the Panny.

Finally.
post #147 of 4428
Has anyone tried lense memory in 3D mode, I know their was never a clear answer to if you could call up a different memory while watching 3D.
post #148 of 4428
No, you can't call the lens memory in 3D mode. You have to select this before watch the 3D movie.
post #149 of 4428
I saw zero lag. I believe I read that as the lamp breaks in, the picture gets better. It seems to be the case as black levels are improving.
post #150 of 4428
Is the difference is sharpness due to the Sh*t smear feature on the panny?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › OWNERS Thread for the Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D Projector