or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › OWNERS Thread for the Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D Projector
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OWNERS Thread for the Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D Projector - Page 123

post #3661 of 4428
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post

Is anybody here using this projector with a Da-Lite High Power screen? It is advertised as a 2.4 Gain screen. It sounds like, from reading the last few posts, that 1.3 would be good enough for 3D, but I am a real 3D enthusiast. I want the best 3D available. I'm thinking that I can always lower the brightness and enter eco mode if it is too bright.
I'd love to hear the thoughts from anyone that is actually using the 7000U and Da-Lite High Power screen combo.
The Panasonic on a 100" High Power screen, projector set to Normal picture mode which is it's best bright mode looks pretty good in 3D, brightness is good and the picture is dynamic. There's no doubt the High Power screen is ideal for active shutter 3D and I highly recommend it nor is it expensive, but if you're looking for the best 3D projecotor in the Pana price range than you should be looking at the Epson 5010 or Benqw7000 they can do it better.
Edited by nirvy111 - 6/16/12 at 7:15pm
post #3662 of 4428
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvy111 View Post


Unless you're a gamer(the Pana has low lag) and or you need motorised zoom then the Epson 5010 is the better projector. It's definately better for 3D as it has more lumens and less ghosting and some will say it's better in 2D aswell but that's more subjective I think.


The bottom line is both the Epson and Pana are very good 2D projectors within their price range and will light up 120" screen no problem in 2D, you would be happy with either but the Epson has the better 3D, so if that is important to you and you're not a gamer or require motorised zoom then buy the Epson.

Definitely better?
I heard it was horrific for ghosting and of course you can't use frame interpolation during 3D playback.
And why would 2D opinion be subjective and 3D opinion is something that is sworn on the bible? They're both opinions therefore they are both subjective.
Anyone wanting to compare them should simply organise a comparison at their nearest store, I wouldn't take notice of half the garbage you read on forums.

Every single 3D TV/projector I've seen has had ghosting to some degree, DLP has the least but they're not free from other issues like rainbow effect. I went to see Avengers at IMAX and there was obvious ghosting, I saw Prometheus at a non IMAX cinema last week and there was plenty of ghosting. It's inherent to the technology.
Edited by inefekt - 6/16/12 at 9:49pm
post #3663 of 4428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper_Eye View Post

Read back through the last 10's of pages and you will see me and a number of other people discussing this issue along with details of the ongoing support interaction I am having on it. I tend to call it "frame dropping" so search for that and see if one of my descriptions of it matches what you are seeing.

So I've done some more research and when I play a blu ray movie via powerdvd "play folder" it will come up stating that the current frame rate is not the same as the display would I like powerdvd to adjust to it. If I say no it has frame rate drop out issue. If I tell it to adjust, then the friggin audio is totally out of sync.
I'm lost on this and it getting really annoying. The integra is set to pass through.
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks
D.
post #3664 of 4428
Quote:
Originally Posted by inefekt View Post

Definitely better?
I heard it was horrific for ghosting and of course you can't use frame interpolation during 3D playback.
And why would 2D opinion be subjective and 3D opinion is something that is sworn on the bible? They're both opinions therefore they are both subjective.
Anyone wanting to compare them should simply organise a comparison at their nearest store, I wouldn't take notice of half the garbage you read on forums.
Every single 3D TV/projector I've seen has had ghosting to some degree, DLP has the least but they're not free from other issues like rainbow effect. I went to see Avengers at IMAX and there was obvious ghosting, I saw Prometheus at a non IMAX cinema last week and there was plenty of ghosting. It's inherent to the technology.

How about 'maybe better'. 'Definitely' is too strong a word isn't it?
Edited by nirvy111 - 6/19/12 at 6:30am
post #3665 of 4428
Hello Panny 7000 owners - I am looking at this projector for an upgrade to the Epson 8350. I really don't care about 3D, just trying to get a good 2D image on a big screen. Will this projector have any issues with a 140" wide 2:35 screen? MLP & throw distance will be at 14', light controlled room, unity gain screen (Seymour AT XD screen hopefully). Concerned about the brightness on that size of screen. Thanks for the input.

David
post #3666 of 4428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker0007 View Post

So I've done some more research and when I play a blu ray movie via powerdvd "play folder" it will come up stating that the current frame rate is not the same as the display would I like powerdvd to adjust to it. If I say no it has frame rate drop out issue. If I tell it to adjust, then the friggin audio is totally out of sync.
I'm lost on this and it getting really annoying. The integra is set to pass through.
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks
D.

Some others that have experienced this issue have stated that setting the source to 50hz resolved it. This is obviously not difficult to do with an HTPC but I can't do that with the devices I am using. I would assume that you have some lip sync value set on your audio receiver as that is necessary no matter what. With the different settings that value is going to change. Out of curiosity, when the software automatically changes the frame rate what does it set it to?
post #3667 of 4428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker0007 View Post

So I've done some more research and when I play a blu ray movie via powerdvd "play folder" it will come up stating that the current frame rate is not the same as the display would I like powerdvd to adjust to it. If I say no it has frame rate drop out issue. If I tell it to adjust, then the friggin audio is totally out of sync.
I'm lost on this and it getting really annoying. The integra is set to pass through.

Just wanted to report I have the same issue mad.gif I drive the projector directly from Nvidia G...something 570 card, 23.98 Hz for most movies.

I have a theory that the issue may be caused by ASIC chip that Panasonic uses for frame interpolation. Since it's ASIC, they can't reprogram it, and it would be very expensive to replace motherboards on all sold projectors, if new versions of the chip are even fixed. So they may claim that they can't reproduce the problem...
(This is just a guess, totally unconfirmed and may be completely wrong.)
post #3668 of 4428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper_Eye View Post

Some others that have experienced this issue have stated that setting the source to 50hz resolved it. This is obviously not difficult to do with an HTPC but I can't do that with the devices I am using. I would assume that you have some lip sync value set on your audio receiver as that is necessary no matter what. With the different settings that value is going to change. Out of curiosity, when the software automatically changes the frame rate what does it set it to?

It sets it to 24p. Audio then becomes correctly synced but it will loose frames. If I tell it no, it will then be totally out of audio sync.
D.
post #3669 of 4428
Hi

I just received my 3rd gen panny 3D glasses and watched my first 3D movie. John carter. The 3d look ok, but the picture is incredibly dark. Some scenes were very difficult to see. My room is very dark and I use a neutral gain screen (1.0). I tried messing with the 3D options to no avail. Setting the 3D brightness from normal to light, make no difference at all. From normal to dark makes it real dark.

For now I have the brightness all boosted up and my contrast. I use cinema 2 and focu lens ON

I know that 3D looks darker than normal but this dark? I can't imagine enjoying this for too long.... Hope there is something I can do to get this brighter. As a matter or fact, all my movies could be a bit brighter.

Thanks

Ray
post #3670 of 4428
Hi

I just received my 3rd gen panny 3D glasses and watched my first 3D movie. John carter. The 3d look ok, but the picture is incredibly dark. Some scenes were very difficult to see. My room is very dark and I use a neutral gain screen (1.0). I tried messing with the 3D options to no avail. Setting the 3D brightness from normal to light, make no difference at all. From normal to dark makes it real dark.

For now I have the brightness all boosted up and my contrast. I use cinema 2 and focu lens ON

I know that 3D looks darker than normal but this dark? I can't imagine enjoying this for too long.... Hope there is something I can do to get this brighter. As a matter or fact, all my movies could be a bit brighter.

Thanks

Ray
post #3671 of 4428
^It's pretty dim, which is why I returned my 3D glasses, well that and the image looked bad.

Try Normal Lamp mode.
post #3672 of 4428
Quote:
Originally Posted by raehza View Post

Hi
I just received my 3rd gen panny 3D glasses and watched my first 3D movie. John carter. The 3d look ok, but the picture is incredibly dark. Some scenes were very difficult to see. My room is very dark and I use a neutral gain screen (1.0). I tried messing with the 3D options to no avail. Setting the 3D brightness from normal to light, make no difference at all. From normal to dark makes it real dark.
For now I have the brightness all boosted up and my contrast. I use cinema 2 and focu lens ON
I know that 3D looks darker than normal but this dark? I can't imagine enjoying this for too long.... Hope there is something I can do to get this brighter. As a matter or fact, all my movies could be a bit brighter.
Thanks
Ray

Hi,

I haven't purchased my 7000 yet (still on my 2000), but try this calculator to see if your setup is optimal for 3D at this point. Its the only one I've found that has provisions for 3D brightness based on projector, throw, screen gain, screen size etc. It looks like i'd have to go with at least a 1.3 Gain to get enough brightness from approximately 18-20' throw.

I'll get the 7000 regardless of the 3D performance (mostly for the kids) as I'd like to step up to a 150" 2.35:1 screen setup with the Zoom method .

Good Luck!
post #3673 of 4428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post

^It's pretty dim, which is why I returned my 3D glasses, well that and the image looked bad.
Try Normal Lamp mode.


Are you saying it's the glasses? Any other recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foraye View Post

Hi,
I haven't purchased my 7000 yet (still on my 2000), but try this calculator to see if your setup is optimal for 3D at this point. Its the only one I've found that has provisions for 3D brightness based on projector, throw, screen gain, screen size etc. It looks like i'd have to go with at least a 1.3 Gain to get enough brightness from approximately 18-20' throw.
I'll get the 7000 regardless of the 3D performance (mostly for the kids) as I'd like to step up to a 150" 2.35:1 screen setup with the Zoom method .
Good Luck!

Thanks for the link! But I think I don't understand it very much. My PJ is about 20ft from my screen. 8 feet ceiling. About 130 inch diagonal screen. I have no idea how much zoom I am using. There is no "number" shown when I zoom in or out.

This is what it says at absolute brightest mode: "3D = 8fL (7fL @200 hrs)" . What does this mean?


Ray
post #3674 of 4428
Try and adjust Dynamic Mode, and Glasses on Normal. I've found going to Light on the glasses induces a lot of ghosting.
post #3675 of 4428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post

Just wanted to report I have the same issue mad.gif I drive the projector directly from Nvidia G...something 570 card, 23.98 Hz for most movies.
I have a theory that the issue may be caused by ASIC chip that Panasonic uses for frame interpolation. Since it's ASIC, they can't reprogram it, and it would be very expensive to replace motherboards on all sold projectors, if new versions of the chip are even fixed. So they may claim that they can't reproduce the problem...
(This is just a guess, totally unconfirmed and may be completely wrong.)

I have been encouraging people who have this issue to call Panasonic and get a support case opened. When I called they asserted that the projector is not the likely cause because they have not received other complaints about this issue. When I ask in here about this issue I get a lot of people saying they have it to but none of them have called Panasonic. If you have this issue call them! They are not taking this problem seriously.
post #3676 of 4428
I just got my Panny in the mail... Chillin in the box until Monday when my general contractor comes in to make a few updates to my HT room.
post #3677 of 4428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper_Eye View Post

I have been encouraging people who have this issue to call Panasonic and get a support case opened. When I called they asserted that the projector is not the likely cause because they have not received other complaints about this issue. When I ask in here about this issue I get a lot of people saying they have it to but none of them have called Panasonic. If you have this issue call them! They are not taking this problem seriously.

I did call them a few weeks ago and reported it.
They just said I should send it in, but I wanted to see if others had a fix or similar experience.
post #3678 of 4428
Hi guys. Read couple of random posts about the panny ae7000u and now I'm worried that I might have made a mistake buying this projector on last Monday from visual apex. I hope visual apex got new batch the one with no issues because I'm going to take it to back to middle east where I live now so it will be hard to send it back and there is no way I can test it here. So please give me some advice thanks.
post #3679 of 4428
Quote:
Originally Posted by puri1 View Post

Hi guys. Read couple of random posts about the panny ae7000u and now I'm worried that I might have made a mistake buying this projector on last Monday from visual apex. I hope visual apex got new batch the one with no issues because I'm going to take it to back to middle east where I live now so it will be hard to send it back and there is no way I can test it here. So please give me some advice thanks.

Any projector can have problems, it's just the luck of the draw I'm afraid. My Pana was a Feburary unit which is stamped on the side of the case and has run flawlessly for 600 hours, maybe the later machines don't have the problems of the earlier ones I'm not sure but my advice is not to worry about it. If it has warranty you can just send it back if it's not working properly, I'm pretty sure visual apex will take care of it, although you might have to cover the cost of shipping.
post #3680 of 4428
Thanks for the advice. I hope the One I bought will not have any problems, by the way how is visual apex reputation now ? Any suggestions on cheaper aftermarket universal 3d glasses ? Thanks
post #3681 of 4428
Quote:
Originally Posted by puri1 View Post

Thanks for the advice. I hope the One I bought will not have any problems, by the way how is visual apex reputation now ? Any suggestions on cheaper aftermarket universal 3d glasses ? Thanks

Sony playstation 3d glasses. $50 a pair ($30 on sale if you lucky) and they work and feel great. You can buy them anywhere usually.

I have 2 pair and they work wonderfully with this PJ.
post #3682 of 4428
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthejoker20 View Post

Sony playstation 3d glasses. $50 a pair ($30 on sale if you lucky) and they work and feel great. You can buy them anywhere usually.
I have 2 pair and they work wonderfully with this PJ.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try them.
post #3683 of 4428
quick question about setup. i haven't gotten this PJ yet but I plan on ordering very soon (hopefully). Is it preferred to run an HDMI cable from each component directly to the PJ or running all components through the receiver and one HDMI cable from the receiver to the PJ?
post #3684 of 4428
Quote:
Originally Posted by azula View Post

quick question about setup. i haven't gotten this PJ yet but I plan on ordering very soon (hopefully). Is it preferred to run an HDMI cable from each component directly to the PJ or running all components through the receiver and one HDMI cable from the receiver to the PJ?

It all depends on if you care about 3D. If you do, it will depend on if your receiver supports 3D.

If your receiver does not support 3D, you should run HDMI cables from each component directly to the PJ. If your receiver does support 3D, go ahead and run one HDMI cable to the PJ.
post #3685 of 4428
Can someone summarize the known issues for this PJ? I am trying to make a decision purchase, and would like to know upfront. Im not asking for people to bash it, just to tell me for example Bulbs fail, or panel alignment issues, etc. Thanks!
post #3686 of 4428
Although I've never experienced it, some complain about flicker issues. A young lady here mentioned that she sent her 7000 in and they replaced the bulb and it resolved the issue. She mentioned that Panasonic said it was a problem they had with the earlier bulbs. So perhaps there's a resolution to that issue.

My screen is set to arrive today. I'll let you know if I run into any issues.
post #3687 of 4428
By the looks of things financially I might not be in the market for another Panasonic projector till the next model comes out. (Yes even if the Ae7000 has a 2 year run like the AE4000 ) However when I get new ideas in my head for the room like I have recently, I can't get them out of my head till I resolve issues/refine them even if the project can't start for a year or two.

Can you guys clarify whether the Ae7000 can still do auto aspect switching for a CIH zoom setup with the PJ above the top of the screen vertically or centered with the screen vertically but with the full 26% Horizontal lens shift offset
post #3688 of 4428
I switched video cards on the htpc from an ati 4350 to a 6570 today. I noticed something that I am not sure if was there before with the 4350 in xbmc. When playing back shows like a cartoon or whatever I noticed color shift in a scene. The frequency was about 0.5 sec and it would flash back and forth between a lighter and darker shade. Kind of hard to describe. Almost like a bulb flicker but it wasn't. I don't want to call it flickr rather it was a color shift. I could rewind and it would do the same thing in the same spot. I tried cinema 1, game and rec709 and all 3 modes did the same thing. I turned off dynamic iris and it still did it. I checked the same video on a different computer with a monitor and it didn't flickr at that point so I know it wasnt the video. Anyone know what this is?

Maybe its just something weird with the source video and the way the panny is procesing it.

SOLVED: Inside the AMD Catalyst control under the video settings there is one called DYNAMIC CONTRAST which was enabled. Once I unchecked that no more contrast flicker. There are a bunch of other settings in there as well. Makes me wonder if I should disable the rest of the "image helper" settings and just let the projector handle it.
Edited by xnaron - 6/27/12 at 9:33pm
post #3689 of 4428
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnaron View Post

I switched video cards on the htpc from an ati 4350 to a 6570 today. I noticed something that I am not sure if was there before with the 4350 in xbmc. When playing back shows like a cartoon or whatever I noticed color shift in a scene. The frequency was about 0.5 sec and it would flash back and forth between a lighter and darker shade. Kind of hard to describe. Almost like a bulb flicker but it wasn't. I don't want to call it flickr rather it was a color shift. I could rewind and it would do the same thing in the same spot. I tried cinema 1, game and rec709 and all 3 modes did the same thing. I turned off dynamic iris and it still did it. I checked the same video on a different computer with a monitor and it didn't flickr at that point so I know it wasnt the video. Anyone know what this is?
Maybe its just something weird with the source video and the way the panny is procesing it.
SOLVED: Inside the AMD Catalyst control under the video settings there is one called DYNAMIC CONTRAST which was enabled. Once I unchecked that no more contrast flicker. There are a bunch of other settings in there as well. Makes me wonder if I should disable the rest of the "image helper" settings and just let the projector handle it.

Interesting... Glad you figured it out.

I had something similar happen to me when I first bought my Samsung Plasma about 6 months ago. I had to call the shop that I purchased the unit from because I thought it was defective. Come to find out, there was an "eco" mode setting that seemed to randomly adjust the brightness of the image between certain scenes.

I thought it was a completely pointeless and absurdly distracting feature, but I guess some people are hardcore abut energy savings.
post #3690 of 4428
I have played with the idea of having 2 screens in my room. A fixed frame cinescope and a pulldown/motorized 16:9. Using a panasonic 7000 (that I haven't purchased yet). Is that totally insane. I am trying to avoid having blackbars or columns depending on what I am watching. I would appreciate any and all input.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › OWNERS Thread for the Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D Projector