or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › List of budget subwoofers ($300 and less)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

List of budget subwoofers ($300 and less) - Page 21

post #601 of 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4 View Post

I get what everybody is saying. Though there is some ambiguity between room SIZE measurement and SPL measurement. One has to be careful reading the posts, and make sure it's all in context. That said, wouldn't moving the SPL meter a bit (or a SW), cause big changes in the SPL measurement? So BeeMan, could the sub location (or SPL pickup) not play a huge role in the -4db issue you have? And... One more question comes to mind, if my entry into my home theater is permanently open (no door), does that play a role in the whole pressurization theme?

What Luke said about the open room, and yes you are also right. BeeMan's room is different from your room, and simply moving a sub to different locations in a room can affect its performance. And then how far away from the sub you are makes a difference in the measurements. This is why many subwoofer reviewers use a standardized way of measuring so that we can compare subwoofers using the standardized measurement procedure with each other.
post #602 of 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4 View Post

That said, wouldn't moving the SPL meter a bit (or a SW), cause big changes in the SPL measurement? So BeeMan, could the sub location (or SPL pickup) not play a huge role in the -4db issue you have?

Actually, it's all of the above and that's why one needs multiple subwoofers and room measuring capabilities so as to find the best solution regarding integrating their subwoofer system into their Home Theater space.

Moving the sound meter, four feet to my seated right, finds my wife's location shows a +4dB to +6dB gain over where I sit. All the while, graphed sweep measurements at her listening position are totally different from graphed measurements that are optimized for my location. But at the same time, due to the architecture of the room, behind her is a wall opening, that my seating position doesn't have and at the same time, placement of furniture and passageways in the wall structure, dictate furniture placement and the number of locations a rational person has at hand, where subwoofers can be placed and not look ridiculous; placement limitations.

Yes, openings to other rooms do play into pressurization issues, hence the need for more subwoofer based output. Our room is ~3,500 cu ft. The room, like your room, at each end, opens up into additional spaces. These additional spaces, impact the efficiency of the subwoofer sound reproduction system and need to be compensated for by the addition of larger drivers and more powerful subwoofer amplifiers. All of which eventually costs a boatload of cash. The net result of the expected upgrade will be about 16x to 32x (+12dB to +15dB) amount of additional energy available to be released into the same Home Theater but despite this, the upgrade won't fix the null. That's a subwoofer, room-placement, sound reflection, bass trap/room treatment sort of thing.

Working with your placement question, as to our subwoofer placement issues, over the last six months or so, I've spent a great deal of time moving multiple subwoofers around the room and measuring their output from new locations to see what the best subwoofer placement combination is. In a few days, I'll be measuring for new subwoofer based placement-measurements with the subwoofers in a new configuration and see what measured changes these new configurations will be responsible for.
post #603 of 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp View Post

http://www.audioholics.com/education/loudspeaker-basics/subwoofer-room-size

That is their take on it.
bass will travel through openings

PERFECT!

The Audioholics article really help one understand the dynamics and also touches on the rule of thumb for sub output vs room size. I've got some homework now. Oh, and the eighth space info was so helpful. Thanks LK!
post #604 of 966
For your list the Velodyne VX-11 is sold out and no longer available, however there are 3 subwoofers under $300 :
VRP-1000 - $129
Bassmatrix 10 - $199
VDR-12 - $249
post #605 of 966
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse View Post

For your list the Velodyne VX-11 is sold out and no longer available, however there are 3 subwoofers under $300 :

VRP-1000 - $129
Bassmatrix 10 - $199
VDR-12 - $249

Is the VX-11 completely gone? On your website it says "Availability: In stock", which seems to imply there might still be some left. If that's merely due to the fact the website hasn't been updated, and they are all gone, then I'll update the list accordingly.

Regarding the other subs... one of my precepts was to avoid anything that was on 'special', since including those would be a nightmare of management for me. In establishing my pricing structure I noted that the $300 price should be what you can reasonably expect to get the sub for, not it's "suggested" retail price. In other words, what most people can rightly assume to pay without the need to wait for some "clearance sale" or restricted holiday event. Would you happen to know if those subs in the Special Offers area are a temporary discount, or is that pretty much status quo for them? If it's essentially the regular price then I'll be glad to add them, but if it's just a special price then I'll probably hold off.
post #606 of 966
post #607 of 966
Thread Starter 
Added
NXG NX-PROSUB125
Powerbass PBX 10.1, PBX 12.1
Cadence CSX12 Mark ii
Theater Solutions Sub15D, Sub15F
NXG NX-BAS-500 {review link}
Polk PSW108
Polk PSWi225
Polk PSWi8M
Technical Pro 1201 {review link}

Fixed
Boston Acoustics CS Sub II {broken Information link}
All Acoustic Audio links {now pointing to new distributor}

Updated
All Theater Solutions subs to separate the Information and Purchase links
Changed Pioneer SW-8 to SW-8MK2

Removed
Polk DSWPRO440wi {no longer available for under $300}
Edited by JimWilson - 6/8/13 at 7:48pm
post #608 of 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse View Post

For your list the Velodyne VX-11 is sold out and no longer available, however there are 3 subwoofers under $300 :
VRP-1000 - $129
Bassmatrix 10 - $199
VDR-12 - $249

The VPR-1000 and VX-11 seem to be the same sub no?

The VPR-1000 is rated 15 watts higher RMS while the VX-11 is rated to go 2hz lower at 33 vs 35 for the VPR-1000. Do both subs use the same driver?
post #609 of 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

The VPR-1000 and VX-11 seem to be the same sub no?

The VPR-1000 is rated 15 watts higher RMS while the VX-11 is rated to go 2hz lower at 33 vs 35 for the VPR-1000. Do both subs use the same driver?

I don't know if they use the same driver, but if you click on the enlarged view of the back and/or the amp on the VPR-1000 product page, you'll see the pictures have VX-11 on the back of the amp.
post #610 of 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I don't know if they use the same driver, but if you click on the enlarged view of the back and/or the amp on the VPR-1000 product page, you'll see the pictures have VX-11 on the back of the amp.

Gotcha. Perhaps the VPR-1000 may really be a VX-12 wink.gif or in other words a slight revision of the discontinued VX-11.
post #611 of 966
Thread Starter 
Ya know, I think you guys are on to something because the pictures on Velodyne's website do indeed make it appear as though both of those models are identical.
post #612 of 966
Could be that the VPR-1000 model was created for a different global market, but very, very similar to the VX-11. Wouldn't be the first time the major AV companies have done that.
post #613 of 966
The VRP1000 and the VX-11 were both sold domestically at the same time though to different dealers, there were very little difference in performance between the two.
post #614 of 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Is the VX-11 completely gone? On your website it says "Availability: In stock", which seems to imply there might still be some left. If that's merely due to the fact the website hasn't been updated, and they are all gone, then I'll update the list accordingly.

Regarding the other subs... one of my precepts was to avoid anything that was on 'special', since including those would be a nightmare of management for me. In establishing my pricing structure I noted that the $300 price should be what you can reasonably expect to get the sub for, not it's "suggested" retail price. In other words, what most people can rightly assume to pay without the need to wait for some "clearance sale" or restricted holiday event. Would you happen to know if those subs in the Special Offers area are a temporary discount, or is that pretty much status quo for them? If it's essentially the regular price then I'll be glad to add them, but if it's just a special price then I'll probably hold off.

The VX-11 has been discontinued and we have sold through our inventory. There are two units remaining, when they are gone that is the end.

I understand your point about specials and clearance items.
post #615 of 966
A couple subs to add to the list:
Cerwin Vega CVT-200
Pure Acoustics Noble
Earthquake FF series (6.5,10,12)
post #616 of 966
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James View Post

A couple subs to add to the list:
Cerwin Vega CVT-200
Pure Acoustics Noble
Earthquake FF series (6.5,10,12)

Thank you for this list - I'm always on the hunt for subs to add. Unfortunately, when I did some research on these I encountered a few issues...

  • I was able to find someplace on Amazon selling the Cerwin Vega CVT-200, but there's nothing on CV's own website about this one. Do you have a link for that by chance?
  • The only references to Pure Acoustics Noble I can find are for a sub costing about $500. Is there someplace selling it for less than $300?
  • The Earthquake FF6.5 has a driver smaller then the minimum size for this list, which is 8", so that one can't be added. The FF10 I can find for under $300, so that one's good. The FF12 seems to be above the price threshold though. Is there a place selling it for less than $300? If so, can you provide me with a link?
post #617 of 966
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/cerwin-vega/cvt-12/prd_122531_1594crx.aspx
It looks like that is an older line, in the link above the reviews are from as far back a 2001.
I found it on amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Cerwin-CVT-200-Watts-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B003GFW2X4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371268466&sr=8-1&keywords=vega+cvt
I also found some Cvt-100 floor-standers on amazon.com so it's definitely a legit line, maybe someone is just selling off old stock...

Here's the Pure Acoustics Noble on Parts-express:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=303-514

And on amazon but it might be a sale price considering the stock:
http://www.amazon.com/ACOUSTICS-NOBLEII-SUB-10-Inch-Noble-Subwoofer/dp/B0057QUIJA/ref=sr_1_37?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1371268811&sr=1-37&keywords=noble+subwoofer

For the Earthquakes I was pretty well just listing the line up without bothering to check prices tongue.gif I definitely knew the ff6.5 and ff10 we're around or under 300$ and I forgot about the 8" rule.

This is worth a browse as well for ridiculously low prices on Morduant Shorts: https://www.accessories4less.com/index.php
It looks like they recently dropped the prices down even further from what they were a week or 2 ago. The Carnival 7 was around 170$ and I think the Carnival 9 was under 300$. Now they are just giving them away and I haven't a clue how long it will last, or how long they we're selling at the original decent prices before the recent sale.
The Morduant Short Aviano 7 is in there as well.

A couple that might be worth keeping an eye on (may be one time sales):
http://www.amazon.com/Jamo-SUB-260-Subwoofer/dp/B007U5VQU6/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1371270543&sr=1-2&keywords=jamo+sub
http://www.amazon.com/Paradigm-PDR-100-10-120w-Subwoofer/dp/B00A6XX12U/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1371270268&sr=1-1&keywords=paradigm+subwoofer

Always happy to help, I spend a lot of time tracking down deals and I've referenced this thread on many occasions smile.gif
Edited by Mik James - 6/14/13 at 9:31pm
post #618 of 966
Comment removed for it's unrealistic content as obviously it was clearly wrong sighted.

tongue.gif

-
Edited by BeeMan458 - 6/15/13 at 8:51am
post #619 of 966
biggrin.gif I have yet to see a budget subwoofer thread on Avs where someone isn't recommended something above budget.
This thread is a list of what's out there, there is also a budget sub discussion thread.
post #620 of 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James View Post

biggrin.gif I have yet to see a budget subwoofer thread on Avs where someone isn't recommended something above budget.

It's hard to argue the above.

(got no excuse for missing this valid point)

My comment was removed as being clearly wrong sighted.
post #621 of 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James View Post

This thread is a list of what's out there, there is also a budget sub discussion thread.

+1

That's why Jim started the other thread, for other types of discussion about budget subwoofers and for discussing recommendations: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1396482/budget-subwoofers-discussions-opinions-and-questions-thread/
post #622 of 966
...confused.gif

That's a link to headphones.

...confused.gif

Obviously, my comment was wrong so I've removed it as out of step with reality.
post #623 of 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

...confused.gif

That's a link to headphones.

...confused.gif

Obviously, my comment was wrong so I've removed it as out of step with reality.

I accidentally copied the wrong link, but edited and fixed it before you even managed to post your comment wink.gif
post #624 of 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I accidentally copied the wrong link, but edited and fixed it before you even managed to post your comment wink.gif

The difference a minute makes as that's because my quick is slower than your slow.

(being the conscientious poster, I did check before I posting and it was still there)

(AWFKB as it's off to Poker Flat, CA)
post #625 of 966
A conscientious poster with over 4000 posts in a year, you crack me up Beeman biggrin.gif
post #626 of 966
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James View Post

It looks like that is an older line, in the link above the reviews are from as far back a 2001.
I found it on amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Cerwin-CVT-200-Watts-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B003GFW2X4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371268466&sr=8-1&keywords=vega+cvt
I also found some Cvt-100 floor-standers on amazon.com so it's definitely a legit line, maybe someone is just selling off old stock...

Yea, that's the Amazon link I found as well. Looks like there's only 2 left, so I might hold off on that one because it does appear as though someone is dumping old stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James View Post

This is worth a browse as well for ridiculously low prices on Morduant Shorts: https://www.accessories4less.com/index.php
It looks like they recently dropped the prices down even further from what they were a week or 2 ago. The Carnival 7 was around 170$ and I think the Carnival 9 was under 300$. Now they are just giving them away and I haven't a clue how long it will last, or how long they we're selling at the original decent prices before the recent sale.The Morduant Short Aviano 7 is in there as well.

Man, you're not kidding - those are some very low prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James View Post

Always happy to help, I spend a lot of time tracking down deals and I've referenced this thread on many occasions smile.gif

Thanks for the heads up on the Pure Acoustics Noble II, Jamo SUB 260 and Paradigm PDR-100. I'll add those during the next update. And thanks for helping me keep the list up to date! With so many different subs coming and going it gets stale fast.
post #627 of 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James View Post

A conscientious poster with over 4000 posts in a year, you crack me up Beeman biggrin.gif

Definitely conscientious and when I can, I do my best to be pithy. tongue.gif

(we couldn't get down the trail to Poker Flat, CA. Made it to the very last turn. After ninety miles in the High Sierra's: boo-hoo us.)

-
Edited by BeeMan458 - 6/15/13 at 6:50pm
post #628 of 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNirvana100 View Post

So does it sound good with music?And how is the speed and definition?
After getting and returning the SVS SB12 NSD(which had good bass but did not blend well with my PSB B6s.I decided to get the Outlaw M8 which was cheaper than HSU with shipping charges.And I'm really happy with it.smile.gif Great mid bass and very powerful amp.Tested it with tones and it goes down to 20hz.And blends perfectly with my bookshelves.And raising it improved performance also.
post #629 of 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNirvana100 View Post

After getting and returning the SVS SB12 NSD(which had good bass but did not blend well with my PSB B6s.I decided to get the Outlaw M8 which was cheaper than HSU with shipping charges.And I'm really happy with it.smile.gif Great mid bass and very powerful amp.Tested it with tones and it goes down to 20hz.And blends perfectly with my bookshelves.And raising it improved performance also.

Which HSU sub are you referring to? I was thinking about getting STF-2.
post #630 of 966
Over $300...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › List of budget subwoofers ($300 and less)