or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD and BDP-53FD Owners' Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD and BDP-53FD Owners' Thread - Page 11

post #301 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellenback View Post

This thread is hardly high recommendation for the newer Pioneer players. I'm hoping they get back on track with their AV gear now that they're not producing plasmas.

I still use a 58AV for audio and wouldn't consider paying a fortune for added BD features when you can get near perfect streaming and decent BD playback from much less expensive players...especially if you match the player to your TV for a consistent handshake.

I feel a lot of formats (and technologies) have been prematurely released and advertised to death just to keep up the "consuming" pace. I still don't get the 3D thing but again, to each their own.

I think a lot of people have the same hope. However, I am afraid those days are gone.

Pioneer very nearly went bankrupt 4-5 years ago. They avoided this by getting out of the plasma TV business, selling off various assets, closing factories, and allowing Sharp to take an equity position in what was left of their consumer electronics business. Pioneer made it pretty clear in various press release statements that their core business is OEM automotive supply now. IMO the BDP-09FD was the last serious effort. Everything released after this has been based on generic, commodity based platforms with a few tweeks to make the machines appear unique to Pioneer. It's sad, but Pioneer as we knew it has bit the dust...

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #302 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1890 View Post

When watching blu ray movies I notice i been getting audio drop out for two second every now and then it's really annoying can someone tell why it's doing this I can't take it anymore.THANKS

What AV receiver are you using?
post #303 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

I think a lot of people have the same hope. However, I am afraid those days are gone.

Pioneer very nearly went bankrupt 4-5 years ago. They avoided this by getting out of the plasma TV business, selling off various assets, closing factories, and allowing Sharp to take an equity position in what was left of their consumer electronics business. Pioneer made it pretty clear in various press release statements that their core business is OEM automotive supply now. IMO the BDP-09FD was the last serious effort. Everything released after this has been based on generic, commodity based platforms with a few tweeks to make the machines appear unique to Pioneer. It's sad, but Pioneer as we knew it has bit the dust...

That is too bad...My first Pioneer disc spinner was the stellar Pioneer Elite DV-37, which had fabulous build, picture and sound quality. I still have a BDP-51FD blu ray player. It loads slowly but it has great picture and sound quality.

My favorite player is my Yamaha DVD-S2700 DVD/DVD-A/SACD player, it is a fantastic DVD player but the audio quality is off the charts. The transport is fast, smooth and quiet. I am really disappointed in the quality of transports in most newer units, many are flimsy and noisy!

I am somewhat contemplating the 53FD but the reviews are a bit tepid.
post #304 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

I think a lot of people have the same hope. However, I am afraid those days are gone.

Pioneer very nearly went bankrupt 4-5 years ago. They avoided this by getting out of the plasma TV business, selling off various assets, closing factories, and allowing Sharp to take an equity position in what was left of their consumer electronics business. Pioneer made it pretty clear in various press release statements that their core business is OEM automotive supply now. IMO the BDP-09FD was the last serious effort. Everything released after this has been based on generic, commodity based platforms with a few tweeks to make the machines appear unique to Pioneer. It's sad, but Pioneer as we knew it has bit the dust...

I have to agree. The 09FD was their last piece of artwork. As of now when I hear or see the word Pioneer I think of farm equipment.
post #305 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I have to agree. The 09FD was their last piece of artwork. As of now when I hear or see the word Pioneer I think of farm equipment.

I think maybe you mean farm seeds?

https://www.pioneer.com/home/site/us/products/

Or do you mean these guys?

http://www.pioneerfarmequipment.com/
post #306 of 604
^^

either way works...the company isn't the same & its Elite products no longer have the panache, build of several yrs ago.

They don't really make their own receivers or players now. That's true with other companies, too, in the interest of fair posting. However, I've followed this & the other new Pio player thread from the beginning and to me it seems these are the buggiest out of the box Pioneer ever released.

For home audio, Pioneer has changed to primarily a marketing company.

The same is true of Oppo but you owners are still on original FW while my Oppo 93 has had 5 FW updates in the space of a year that ADDED new & requested features with each update. Correction - a new beta FW was released last week so that's 6! And how long have you been waiting for your 1st?

IMO, there is no comparison...you guys can live with the bugs, quirks & inconsistent quality control (i.e. one plays SACD's perfectly, another doesn't). I decided the BDP-09 was the last Pioneer BD player I would ever buy...considering how they screwed over owners every 6 months with a new PQLS "version" & increasingly cheapened build quality. They weren't honest enough to offer new PQLS versions at the same time as new receivers - every improvement required a new receiver to work with the player. Denon, OTOH, as much as possible, provided FW updates to keep receivers in step with latest DenonLink versions.

Oppo won my support & dollars by being an honest, customer focused company, building excellent quality, full featured players while providing the best FW support in the industry.

Pioneer lost mine by being the opposite.
post #307 of 604
I'm considering the BDP-53FD to replace a BDP-23FD.

I currently have Pioneer Elite SC-07 Receiver AVR connected to a PRO-1110HD Display fed by (among other) a BDP-23FD Bluray Player and DV-58AV DVD/SACD/DVDA Player.

Would the 53 be a worthwhile upgrade for the 23?

I'd most like to get some of the streaming features of the 53. I wouldn't mind the quicker load time although its not critical. If I can get SACD and DVDA that would be great to but I already have the 58 which does a very nice job there.

Thoughts? Any performance increases, PQ, etc. any other reason to pick up the 53 over the 23? How would build quality compare?
post #308 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

Pioneer made it pretty clear in various press release statements that their core business is OEM automotive supply now.

Mainly Honda/Acura. Honda Motor Co. Ltd is also one of Pioneer's shareholder.
post #309 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpmark View Post

what av receiver are you using?

sc-57
post #310 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

I think a lot of people have the same hope. However, I am afraid those days are gone.

Pioneer very nearly went bankrupt 4-5 years ago. They avoided this by getting out of the plasma TV business, selling off various assets, closing factories, and allowing Sharp to take an equity position in what was left of their consumer electronics business. Pioneer made it pretty clear in various press release statements that their core business is OEM automotive supply now. IMO the BDP-09FD was the last serious effort. Everything released after this has been based on generic, commodity based platforms with a few tweeks to make the machines appear unique to Pioneer. It's sad, but Pioneer as we knew it has bit the dust...

Completely agree.
post #311 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1890 View Post

sc-57

Oh. It sounded like a DSP issue of an older model that might require a firmware upgrade, but that shouldn't be the case with your AVR.
post #312 of 604
Im slowly starting to agree with some of the complaints of past pioneer users. I have been a loyal owner ever since the early 90's when I inherited my dads early 70's receiver and speakers he brought back from Korea when he was in the service.

I started to question my loyalty when I purchased 2 bdp-51fd that were and are buggier than an Ethiopian. I recently purchased an sc-57 and bdp-52fd and am starting to become disgruntled with Pioneer

The sc-57 sounds good and does what I want, but once again I have another squirrelly blu-ray player. I try to search for latest update and I get some kind of file not found error. I try to go to their website to see if I even have the latest version and I can't find anything. Hell, my parents $80 LG player has amazon video on it. Not this $399 player!!! Oh well, thats all the venting I shall do.

By the way, is 2.08 the latest firmware? Thanks
post #313 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-town oil View Post

Im slowly starting to agree with some of the complaints of past pioneer users. I have been a loyal owner ever since the early 90's when I inherited my dads early 70's receiver and speakers he brought back from Korea when he was in the service.

I started to question my loyalty when I purchased 2 bdp-51fd that were and are buggier than an Ethiopian. I recently purchased an sc-57 and bdp-52fd and am starting to become disgruntled with Pioneer

The sc-57 sounds good and does what I want, but once again I have another squirrelly blu-ray player. I try to search for latest update and I get some kind of file not found error. I try to go to their website to see if I even have the latest version and I can't find anything. Hell, my parents $80 LG player has amazon video on it. Not this $399 player!!! Oh well, thats all the venting I shall do.

By the way, is 2.08 the latest firmware? Thanks

AFAIK, there is no firmware update for that unit, but I'm not sure why you wouldn't just call Pioneer for tech support, especially since others have reported difficulty with network access. It seems to be an isolated problem, though. From the Home Theatre review:

"Unfortunately, I had some network connection issues with this player that couldn't be resolved prior to our press date, even with Pioneer's help. While it would hook up to my home network and accept an IP address, any attempt to access the Internet caused the player to lock up and require a reboot. I tried three different routers (Linksys, Netgear, and Belkin models) in two different homes in my area served by Comcast, and none worked. Disabling the DLNA function prevented the lock-up, but the unit still failed to connect to the Internet. I'm apparently not alone on this*as we went to press, at least one BDP-52FD user from another part of the country had posted an online forum comment complaining of the same issue, and with a different ISP, CenturyLink.

Nonetheless, I was finally able to uneventfully connect the player to a neighbor's ISP (AT&T U-verse) and briefly accessed all of the network features at his home to view the Pioneer's online functions. As of our early November press date, Pioneer was investigating what for the moment looked like a quirky, fairly isolated problem, though buyers should be aware that there's at least a small chance they'll encounter this issue. Check our online version of this review at HomeTheater.com for any updates."

http://www.hometheater.com/content/p...-player-page-2
post #314 of 604
As of this date, the player still won't connect to the Internet in my home and Pioneer hasn't released a firmware update to fix it.
post #315 of 604
ok, contacted pioneer and asked them about the current version and they quickly responded (about 20 minutes) with 2.11. i sent another question about how to get the newest firmware update since my network doesnt seem to be discovering one about 3 hours ago and no response. dissapointing
post #316 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-town oil View Post

ok, contacted pioneer and asked them about the current version and they quickly responded (about 20 minutes) with 2.11. i sent another question about how to get the newest firmware update since my network doesnt seem to be discovering one about 3 hours ago and no response. dissapointing

I thought they also made the firmware updates available for download to USB drives. Again, I would contact them BY PHONE at 1-800-421-1404. I'm not sure why you would write them instead of just calling them. It's a free call, and you get a response immediately.
post #317 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpmark View Post

I thought they also made the firmware updates available for download to USB drives. Again, I would contact them BY PHONE at 1-800-421-1404. I'm not sure why you would write them instead of just calling them. It's a free call, and you get a response immediately.

called them this morning. they said the latest firmware should be available soon and that it is up on their european site. hopefully something is headed our way sooner than later
post #318 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-town oil View Post

called them this morning. they said the latest firmware should be available soon and that it is up on their european site. hopefully something is headed our way sooner than later

That's actually good news, T-town! I think a few people are anxiously awaiting that upgrade. Thanks for the update!
post #319 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-town oil View Post

called them this morning. they said the latest firmware should be available soon and that it is up on their European site. hopefully something is headed our way sooner than later

Here's the link to the European site:

http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/support/sof...952/index.html

As of the time of this posting there is no new firmware listed on the European site.

As a mater of fact, the last firmware posted for any Pioneer Blu-ray player on this site was on November of last year at the time of my post.
post #320 of 604
^^^ sorry, just going off what the pio rep told me on the phone
post #321 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-town oil View Post

^^^ sorry, just going off what the pio rep told me on the phone

No worries... and not necessary to apologize!

I was just trying to give you the link to the firmware and found that what Pioneer told you, wasn't there. If anyone needs to say sorry, it's Pioneer!

What an embarrassment on their part...
post #322 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpmark View Post

AFAIK, there is no firmware update for that unit, but I'm not sure why you wouldn't just call Pioneer for tech support, especially since others have reported difficulty with network access. It seems to be an isolated problem, though. From the Home Theatre review:

"Unfortunately, I had some network connection issues with this player that couldn't be resolved prior to our press date, even with Pioneer's help. While it would hook up to my home network and accept an IP address, any attempt to access the Internet caused the player to lock up and require a reboot. I tried three different routers (Linksys, Netgear, and Belkin models) in two different homes in my area served by Comcast, and none worked. Disabling the DLNA function prevented the lock-up, but the unit still failed to connect to the Internet. I'm apparently not alone on this*as we went to press, at least one BDP-52FD user from another part of the country had posted an online forum comment complaining of the same issue, and with a different ISP, CenturyLink.

Nonetheless, I was finally able to uneventfully connect the player to a neighbor's ISP (AT&T U-verse) and briefly accessed all of the network features at his home to view the Pioneer's online functions. As of our early November press date, Pioneer was investigating what for the moment looked like a quirky, fairly isolated problem, though buyers should be aware that there's at least a small chance they'll encounter this issue. Check our online version of this review at HomeTheater.com for any updates."

http://www.hometheater.com/content/p...-player-page-2

I posted this issue in the thread earlier on, and it was discovered that my WHS was the culprit. Once I upgraded my server to WHS 2011, all network issues were resolved. It may be possible, that earlier versions of Windows (pre Win7) may cause the same issue as it is believed to be a packet issue on the network that causes the 53FD to lock up. Just an FYI
post #323 of 604
Dave - I posted this issue in the thread earlier on, and it was discovered that my WHS was the culprit. Once I upgraded my server to WHS 2011, all network issues were resolved. It may be possible, that earlier versions of Windows (pre Win7) may cause the same issue as it is believed to be a packet issue on the network that causes the 53FD to lock up. What, if any Windows systems do you have on your network?
post #324 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

No worries... and not necessary to apologize!

I was just trying to give you the link to the firmware and found that what Pioneer told you, wasn't there. If anyone needs to say sorry, it's Pioneer!

What an embarrassment on their part...

I too contacted Pioneer. I opened a case with them back in Dec as I wanted to have a trail of the issues I was reporting. The gentleman I spoke with indicated that something was on the horizon (firmware) but that they have not yet received it to do any bench testing. So, it would appear we are still in holding pattern for a bit
post #325 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-town oil View Post

called them this morning. they said the latest firmware should be available soon and that it is up on their european site. hopefully something is headed our way sooner than later

Pioneer's US web site is about the last one that ever gets updated with new firmware. Europe is one of the 1st.

Why? We've been asking that for > 5 years
They just don't get in a hurry to show new FW on their website. Last year, US was 2 MONTHS behind Europe on an update to several players. So when you finally see it on Europe's site, probably will be 2-4 weeks later for US. That's their history, unless they finally got religion

Your 2 posts are very much indicative of why Oppo has won over many enthusiasts. Their last official FW update was mid-Dec 2011 and already they have a new beta FW update on their website for download.

There is no reason for owners to keep putting up with Pioneer's lack of support or interest in fixing bugs.

You have an excellent alternative
post #326 of 604
well, i officially think pioneer is a "joke". as i noted in an earlier post i contacted them by phone and one rep told me of the upcoming firmware update that has been posted in europe and should soon be seen in the US. the day before i called i sent them an email with the exact same question and here is the email response i got last night....


Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc.
The 2.11 is not available to download at this time.
It only corrects a Portuguese menu translation, so it is not a high priority update.
The only way to obtain this update is to ship the unit in for service.



Thank You,

Rocky
Customer Service Representative
post #327 of 604
^^
you can come over to the dark side
no company's product is perfect but I fully expect you'll have far less issues with the big O.

unlike Pioneer's confusion & never providing info as to what their updates actually do or fix, Oppo spells out in detail what each update addresses, specific titles it fixes, new features added, any new or changed file formats supported, etc.
post #328 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by noklew View Post

Dave - I posted this issue in the thread earlier on, and it was discovered that my WHS was the culprit. Once I upgraded my server to WHS 2011, all network issues were resolved. It may be possible, that earlier versions of Windows (pre Win7) may cause the same issue as it is believed to be a packet issue on the network that causes the 53FD to lock up. What, if any Windows systems do you have on your network?

I have WHS (original) on my network. I had a suspicion that this could have been the culprit, BUT it shouldn't matter. I've had over 50 pieces of network-capable AV equipment in my rack and I've NEVER had this problem before (even other Pioneer products). If it's WHS that's causing the problem, it's Pioneer's responsibility to fix it since they are the only company that seems to have an issue with WHS and I shouldn't have to upgrade to the latest version of WHS since it doesn't have certain things that I like in the original (plus I don't want to go through the hassle of having to back everything up and upgrading ).

This is an issue that Pioneer should be able to easily fix, but they haven't yet for some reason.
post #329 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

This is an issue that Pioneer should be able to easily fix, but they haven't yet for some reason.

Dave,

and the fact that I'm sure owners have emailed & called Pioneer about bugs & QC issues says a lot about the kind of support Pioneer now has. It's sad really.

Especially since I would expect you have already talked to Pioneer, maybe Chris Walker himself, about the issue. Knowing you are a well-respected reviewer who has written about a number of Pioneer players & receivers, one would think you'd have gotten a positive commitment to a timely fix.

I still have & like my BDP-09, but Oppo has won me over, from the quality of the player to the commitment to customer service & rapid FW updates.
post #330 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

I have WHS (original) on my network. I had a suspicion that this could have been the culprit, BUT it shouldn't matter. I've had over 50 pieces of network-capable AV equipment in my rack and I've NEVER had this problem before (even other Pioneer products). If it's WHS that's causing the problem, it's Pioneer's responsibility to fix it since they are the only company that seems to have an issue with WHS and I shouldn't have to upgrade to the latest version of WHS since it doesn't have certain things that I like in the original (plus I don't want to go through the hassle of having to back everything up and upgrading ).

This is an issue that Pioneer should be able to easily fix, but they haven't yet for some reason.

At least one more Panny DMP-BD75 has the same issue. Take a look at the #21 post of the following thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1325701

I guess both players are using the same reference design and the Panny one is much cheaper. They were both produced by TCL? Possible.

Anyway I also did the packet trace and confirmed the above findings about the SSDP protocol that is causing the 53FD to lock up. I later upgraded the WHS to WHS 2011 which solved the lockup issue on 53FD. However I sold the 53FD afterwards. Lost confidence on Pioneer this time totally.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD and BDP-53FD Owners' Thread