or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › What's Your System Configuration › 5.1-system with Linn/Custom HTPC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

5.1-system with Linn/Custom HTPC

post #1 of 38
Thread Starter 

A 5.1-system tuned to perfection for the best movie experience.


Front/center/sub are fully active, powered by 16 amplifier channels. 2500W total.

Surround is passive, powered by dedicated 100W amps.

All movies are stored on external harddrives to minimize read errors and ensure a completely quiet playback (no spinning discs).

Front speakers: Linn Akurate 242 Active
Center: Linn Akurate 225 Active
Subwoofer: Linn Klimax 345
Surround speakers: Jamo THX Ultra2 D600 SUR
Source: Home-built HTPC with external 7.1 sound card
Pre-amp: Linn Akurate Kontrol 5.1 with Dynamik power supply
Power amps: 3 x Linn Chakra 5100 with Dynamik power supply. 1 x Linn Chakra 2100 with Dynamik power supply.
Projector: JVC X30 (RS45)

This is a very dynamic and powerful system.

Some photos:

 

(check last post for recent photos)


Edited by ja.jo - 7/24/12 at 6:22am
post #2 of 38
Wow, that's a sweet setup. It's nice to see an active system.
post #3 of 38
Absolutely Stunning Setup, Congrats!
post #4 of 38
Very Sweet setup!!!
post #5 of 38
Thread Starter 
Thank you all!
post #6 of 38
Very nice system. I've never heard of Linn speakers but I do like most of the higher end British speakers I've heard.
post #7 of 38
Those are some very nice looking speakers - nice looking meaning they look like they sound great. If you need speakers with multiple tweeters (presumably with a crossover between them), you're way beyond my level of audiophilia ... quite impressive.

Question - what is "fully active" -- does that mean they have an integrated amp, or something else?
post #8 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

Very nice system. I've never heard of Linn speakers but I do like most of the higher end British speakers I've heard.

They are well worth a listen! Very neutral but they require A LOT from the source components and installation to perform well. My experience is that the better the gear - the more improvement can be done by fine tuning them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Bull View Post

Question - what is "fully active" -- does that mean they have an integrated amp, or something else?

No integrated amps. All amps are external.

Active means that there are no filters between the amps and speaker drivers. The signal goes all the way from the amplifier into the driver without anything in the signal path. In normal passive filters lots of sound is lost in the filters and converted to heat. Active systems playback more of the information and it sounds better (more powerful and a wider frequency range).

/ j
post #9 of 38
A truly beautiful setup i have always loved the way that linn speakers look and i have read and heard great things about them, Once again lovely setup.
post #10 of 38
Thread Starter 
Okay, some upgrades...



In the bottom of the rack - another amp. Why? I have upgraded to 5.1



I tried many surround speakers from different brands. Klipsch was nice but a bit too bright sounding for my system - didn't match the front. Polk had better tonal balance but not involving enough. In the end, I bought the Jamo THX Ultra 2 certified D600 surround speakers and I just love them. They sounded a little harsh in the beginning but after a month of burning-in they are now amazing. Good punch, excellent tonal balance and you don't notice them - they just add a fantastic ambience to the sound track.



The biggest improvement however is a new signal source.

I have previously owned:

* Oppo BDP-83 - I was happy with this player for almost 2 years until I discovered the advantages of storing all movies on an external harddrive. The BDP-83 could only handle files up to 4 GB so I decided to replace it with...

* Oppo BDP-93 Nuforce Edition - I was very happy with the sound and picture quality of this unit. I used the built-in DACs connected with analogue interconnects to my pre-amp. Unfortunately I never managed to get lipsync to work out with it. I even bought a HDMI processor with lipsync adjustment but I quickly found out that the lipsync error on BDP-93 is actually drifting throughout the movie which makes it impossible to adjust.

* Dune D1 - Since I almost only play BD-ISO or MKV I decided to get a streamer to replace the Oppo. I started with the Dune which is a great piece of hardware. Lipsync for BD-ISO was a lot better than Oppo but not perfect. Especially on MKV where the lipsync could be way off (a known problem with Sigma-chipset products).

* Netgear Neo-TV 550 - I still own this unit and it is great. No lipsync issues with BD-ISO but unfortunately with MKV. I finally decided to take the last step and build my own HTPC.

I use a Streacom FC5 chassi with Pico PSU and SSD drive. This makes the machine dead-silent (no fans or moving parts at all!). It plays everything with perfect lipsync and no annoying bugs. I couldn't be more happy.

I recommend everybody to take the HTPC route. The only issue right now is the lack of HD audio support in XBMC. I currently use MPC-HC which does not have a fancy GUI but it works great.

/ Jacob
post #11 of 38
Interesting, I haven't seen Linn speakers since I saw some Espeks back at a connected home show 5 or so years ago. I still remember how incredibly accurate and powerful they sounded for being somewhat smallish speakers. Active technology is definitely a winner in my book. Those Scotts know how to engineer some speakers.
post #12 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja.jo View Post

Okay, some upgrades...



In the bottom of the rack - another amp. Why? I have upgraded to 5.1



I tried many surround speakers from different brands. Klipsch was nice but a bit too bright sounding for my system - didn't match the front. Polk had better tonal balance but not involving enough. In the end, I bought the Jamo THX Ultra 2 certified D600 surround speakers and I just love them. They sounded a little harsh in the beginning but after a month of burning-in they are now amazing. Good punch, excellent tonal balance and you don't notice them - they just add a fantastic ambience to the sound track.



The biggest improvement however is a new signal source.

I have previously owned:

* Oppo BDP-83 - I was happy with this player for almost 2 years until I discovered the advantages of storing all movies on an external harddrive. The BDP-83 could only handle files up to 4 GB so I decided to replace it with...

* Oppo BDP-93 Nuforce Edition - I was very happy with the sound and picture quality of this unit. I used the built-in DACs connected with analogue interconnects to my pre-amp. Unfortunately I never managed to get lipsync to work out with it. I even bought a HDMI processor with lipsync adjustment but I quickly found out that the lipsync error on BDP-93 is actually drifting throughout the movie which makes it impossible to adjust.

* Dune D1 - Since I almost only play BD-ISO or MKV I decided to get a streamer to replace the Oppo. I started with the Dune which is a great piece of hardware. Lipsync for BD-ISO was a lot better than Oppo but not perfect. Especially on MKV where the lipsync could be way off (a known problem with Sigma-chipset products).

* Netgear Neo-TV 550 - I still own this unit and it is great. No lipsync issues with BD-ISO but unfortunately with MKV. I finally decided to take the last step and build my own HTPC.

I use a Streacom FC5 chassi with Pico PSU and SSD drive. This makes the machine dead-silent (no fans or moving parts at all!). It plays everything with perfect lipsync and no annoying bugs. I couldn't be more happy.

I recommend everybody to take the HTPC route. The only issue right now is the lack of HD audio support in XBMC. I currently use MPC-HC which does not have a fancy GUI but it works great.

/ Jacob

There are 3 different ways to get HD Audio with XBMC....
post #13 of 38
Is that a nordic setup? BTW looks amazing!
post #14 of 38
Nice system! This is like the grown-up version of my Linn system. I've got:

Linn Katan monitors for the fronts, running in Aktiv mode (2 channels per speaker)
Linn Trikan center, in Aktiv mode (2 channels)
Linn Custom 104-c in-ceiling surround speakers (passive)
Linn Akurate 241 subwoofer (500 watt servo controlled)
2 x Linn 5125 amps (5 channels each at 125wpc)
I'm only using 8 of the amps' 10 available channels. I can't run the rears in Aktiv because they are 3-way speakers and would require 6 channels of amps, which I don't have available.

Processor: Anthem AVM 50v (the Anthem Room Correction makes a big difference in my living room, which is an acoustic nightmare)
Sources:
Mac Mini running Pure Music for all music
Oppo BDP-93
DirecTV
post #15 of 38
Awesome looking equipment.
post #16 of 38
Thread Starter 
413

System has been updated. A new shelf for the center - home built. A very stable construction.

I have also covered all walls and roof with black textile. One step closer to the right cinema feeling.

Thanks for all replies!
post #17 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by limp003 View Post

Awesome looking equipment.

Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateored View Post

Nice system! This is like the grown-up version of my Linn system. I've got:


Linn Katan monitors for the fronts, running in Aktiv mode (2 channels per speaker)

Linn Trikan center, in Aktiv mode (2 channels)

Linn Custom 104-c in-ceiling surround speakers (passive)

Linn Akurate 241 subwoofer (500 watt servo controlled)

2 x Linn 5125 amps (5 channels each at 125wpc)

I'm only using 8 of the amps' 10 available channels. I can't run the rears in Aktiv because they are 3-way speakers and would require 6 channels of amps, which I don't have available.


Processor: Anthem AVM 50v (the Anthem Room Correction makes a big difference in my living room, which is an acoustic nightmare)

Sources:

Mac Mini running Pure Music for all music

Oppo BDP-93

DirecTV

Nice system! How do you like the Anthem processor for music?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigues_Brazil View Post

Is that a nordic setup? BTW looks amazing!

Yep, from Sweden! Thanks!

/ Jacob
post #18 of 38
Thread Starter 
Some upgrades...

Finally using a real 2.35:1 screen. Upgraded from 72 inch 16:9 to 94 inch 2.35:1. In my small HT room this screen really makes a huge difference.





post #19 of 38
That's a nice setup ja.Jo well done.
post #20 of 38
Thread Starter 


Latest shot.

Some velvet and spotlights added.
post #21 of 38
Very nice setup. I heard linn only one time, at an audio show in a 2ch system and thought they really sounded great. I am sure your system looks and sounds really nice also. How big is your room and how far do you sit from that awesome screen.
post #22 of 38
Loving that 2:35 screen! This is truly a remarkable system.
post #23 of 38
Thread Starter 
Thanks guys! smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Very nice setup. I heard linn only one time, at an audio show in a 2ch system and thought they really sounded great. I am sure your system looks and sounds really nice also. How big is your room and how far do you sit from that awesome screen.
Thanks guys!

My room is about 20 square metres and the distance from screen to eyes is about 3 metres.

/ j
post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja.jo View Post

Thanks guys! smile.gif
Thanks guys!
My room is about 20 square metres and the distance from screen to eyes is about 3 metres.
/ j
Nice size room I am sure that the picture looks great on a screen like that at the distance you sit. I have never heard Linn subs. How is that sub? I remember reading years ago about the old Linn It was a numbered sub but it was basically a Melodik sub. I remember it getting great reviews. The one you have is a different design but I am sure that it is a great performing sub. How would you characterize its sound and performance in your system.
post #25 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Nice size room I am sure that the picture looks great on a screen like that at the distance you sit. I have never heard Linn subs. How is that sub? I remember reading years ago about the old Linn It was a numbered sub but it was basically a Melodik sub. I remember it getting great reviews. The one you have is a different design but I am sure that it is a great performing sub. How would you characterize its sound and performance in your system.

Linn is famous for their involving/engaging performance and that is very true about this system. It takes only a few minutes and you are inside the movie, not thinking about speaker, projectors or amplifiers. I truly appreciate that. Before, with previous gear, I wasn't always paying attention to the movie but rather on the sound effects or special effects.

I have spent many late nights tweaking my HTPC to get the best possible timing of video and audio. I previously used an Oppo BDP-93 but got fed up with it because of timing problems (no big issues, but big enough to make the experience worse and less engaging). In order to get everything perfect I had to fine tune my video adapter so it can lock to a perfect 23.976, 24.000 or 25.000 framerate. I also had to stop using HDMI (bitstreaming) for audio. I am currently using a HD soundcard with analogue RCA outputs.

The sub is great. Very accurate and tight sound. It goes deep, but not very loud. I will get another one as soon as I can afford it. Will probably move to a house with a dedicated HT room soon. Almost twice the size of the current room. Then I need at least 2, probably 4 subs. It might be too expensive to go the Linn route, so I might have to look elsewhere to get the pressure and extension that I need.

Regards,
Jacob
post #26 of 38
Thanks for the reply. As I mentioned above, when I heard the Linn speakers at a show quite a number of years ago. I thought they sounded great. That was back with the 5150 series. At least I think that was the number. I will at some point move to a server based system myself. But not for a while. Depending on the size of the room, it may become cost prohibitive to get the number of Linn subs you need to get the performance you are looking for. But, there are other, slightly bigger options that should fit your needs at probably a lower price point. But in the mean time, enjoy that system because I am sure it sounds great.
post #27 of 38
Thread Starter 
Yep, that is what I am thinking. Previously had SVS subwoofers and they really rock. I might go for two PB13 for LFE and LCR+SUB < 80Hz and keep my Linn subwoofer for 2 channel listening and LCR < 120Hz.

/ Jacob
post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja.jo View Post

Yep, that is what I am thinking. Previously had SVS subwoofers and they really rock. I might go for two PB13 for LFE and LCR+SUB < 80Hz and keep my Linn subwoofer for 2 channel listening and LCR < 120Hz.
/ Jacob
That sounds like a pretty good bass system to me. I am sure that for 2ch and HT that system would sound really good.
post #29 of 38
Thread Starter 
Now with ADA Suite 7.1HD processor. Very nice upgrade.

post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja.jo View Post

Some upgrades...
Finally using a real 2.35:1 screen. Upgraded from 72 inch 16:9 to 94 inch 2.35:1. In my small HT room this screen really makes a huge difference.



Magnificent is all I can say great job
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › What's Your System Configuration › 5.1-system with Linn/Custom HTPC