or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › *Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 5

post #121 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecker View Post

A bit of news.

Someone at the WD forums has said they've got the player to pass DTS-MA, all be it from a full BD-Audio ISO.

Steve W

Iiiiinteresting.

I don't have any experience with that type of media... Anyone know off-hand what the native media type is for BD Audio?

(Like xxxxx.TS is for Blu-Ray Video...)
post #122 of 4686
Someone else has posted saying they can't get any of their DTS-MA files to do anything other than stream core dts.

The important thing isn't so much whether the player will stream dts-ma now, so much as the fact that it appears to be physically capable of doing so later.

WD have always maintained they can't legally pass DTS-MA, as dts only licence to BD players and AV amps. Sooner or later they'll twig that other players are already passing the format, and that either no licence is needed to do this, or that dts aren't chasing anyone else, and that WD are losing custom to the opposition.

Steve W
post #123 of 4686
Does anyone know if the new-Live uses the same remote control codes as the previous models -- specifically the Live+. I want to drop one of these into my media center to replace the current Live+ and not have to reprogram my Harmony remote. Then I want to put the current Live+ in my daughters room and give her the new bigger remote that comes with the new-Live.
post #124 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefer View Post

As a techie...I may not know it all. But I DO know how to setup a share. I have one server. My 2 laptops, tablet, phones, etc see my win7 box no problem. Should this really be that hard? I feel bad for the folks who hardly know what a share is. WD definately messed something up...no clue what it is.

Don't blame WD for Microsoft's actions in making networking a nightmare in Win-7.
post #125 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by raphaelwd View Post

The metasource manager allows you to use XBMC scrapers on your WD TV. Some features are not supported though, so not all existing scrapers will work.

Raphael, or anyone, how do you do this? When I got to add a new scraper, it lets me browse to my attached storage (a USB stick), but how do you specify XBMC? The USB stick is just there as temporary storage as all my videos are on my server (network share).
post #126 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefer View Post

Thought I'd share my experience with this new device.


I

I am pretty techie. I know my Win7 shares are setup fine. I even added Everyone with full control. The WDTV Live will NOT NOT NOT see my Network Shares. I spent a good 6 hours trying all the things I could find on the net. Reg hacks, etc, etc. Absolutely no go. Called into WD...useless.


BUT...I have 3 MKV files that I accuired for testing. One out of the 3 play. Two of them stop at the same spot and pretty much hang the WDTV. All 3 play perfect with VLC player on my Win7 box.

I am absolutely p!ssed. All this time and effort only to find that it's not that good with MKV's. I am not spending the time to mess with the MKV's.

As far as win 7 goes, I remember it was a pain to get it to share initially. I think that homegroup mess interferes with normal networking. I think if you enable advanced sharing it will work like a normal windows sharing and will start working for you.

As far as the MKV's go, eliminate your variables- ie your network by using a usb drive and see if they will play that way. My box came in Friday night and I have been playing ISO's fine except when I had a network hiccup. Just rewound a few seconds and all was well.

The scraping and filters are a bit confusing but hopefully it will get sorted out. It thought a knight rider episode was some sort of chinese tv series!
post #127 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Does anyone know if the new-Live uses the same remote control codes as the previous models -- specifically the Live+. I want to drop one of these into my media center to replace the current Live+ and not have to reprogram my Harmony remote. Then I want to put the current Live+ in my daughters room and give her the new bigger remote that comes with the new-Live.

YES, all WD remotes use the same codes.

The HUB and the "new" Live have the BIGGER remote with more buttons, but the common ones work across ALL platforms: Live / Live+ / Hub / Elements Play / WDTV HD (all Gens) and the MINI.

So if you're using a harmony, you'll probably want to change the profile so all the additional buttons are available to you.
post #128 of 4686
Noone answered my question:

Will this unit have the same problem with the older Live that stutters when there is a scene with excessive static or grain (used in some movies as a flashback effect) ... those scenes just make my old Live unit choke and becomes a slideshow.
post #129 of 4686
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post

Noone answered my question:

Will this unit have the same problem with the older Live that stutters when there is a scene with excessive static or grain (used in some movies as a flashback effect) ... those scenes just make my old Live unit choke and becomes a slideshow.

This is the first time I am hearing of a specific type of video sequence causing issues. Do you have multiple files which exhibit this problem? If so, would you mind sharing a sample clip with us?
post #130 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfodiz View Post

Nope network shares do not work with scraping your content to the library but raphaelwd on page 2 stated they are working on this. Scraping currently only works with USB HDD's.

Well, knowing WD that will probably be for a NEW device.
post #131 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loubut View Post

Well, knowing WD that will probably be for a NEW device.

C'mon now.. that's not fair...

The WD's were the first mass-market media player to even support XML metadata!

And they added that to the Hub AFTER launch.

It's so popular now people tend to assume it was ALWAYS there... and it's getting incrementally better with each new firmware.
post #132 of 4686
Ive been reading this thread in interest as I thinking of getting this whilst I visit the states at the end of the month.

Does anyone know whether this comes with a DC adaptor that will work on 220/240 V?

Thanks
post #133 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefer View Post

BUT...I have 3 MKV files that I accuired for testing. One out of the 3 play. Two of them stop at the same spot and pretty much hang the WDTV. All 3 play perfect with VLC player on my Win7 box.

Yeah what plays in VLC is pretty much irrelevant, they can (and probably have) add work arounds for all of the junk encodes on the net who may or may not follow the specs. Plus if it was sloppily acquired from ********** there might be missing a block or two.

If they need repairing a remux could do the job, and if you have a reasonably modern computer that should only take a couple of minutes. For that use "mkvmerge", the author is a total fanatic about following the standard, so its output is generally the baseline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefer View Post

I am absolutely p!ssed. All this time and effort only to find that it's not that good with MKV's. I am not spending the time to mess with the MKV's.

MKV is a container, it can contain all kinds of crap. An MKV container with Dirac video and ATRAC sound might follow the specs, but is unlikely to play on a great deal of hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefer View Post

This thing is going back. I will pick up a better laptop and continue what I have been doing. More money...yes...but truly works and plays everything.

Well, not everything, but its certainly more flexible. If you have the time to maintain it.
post #134 of 4686
Lol, didn't know the "b" word was forbidden - sorry about that
post #135 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post

C'mon now.. that's not fair...

The WD's were the first mass-market media player to even support XML metadata!

And they added that to the Hub AFTER launch.

It's so popular now people tend to assume it was ALWAYS there... and it's getting incrementally better with each new firmware.

Any tips or faqs available for newbies just getting starting with the scraping/metadata stuff?
Thanks...
post #136 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchb View Post

Any tips or faqs available for newbies just getting starting with the scraping/metadata stuff?
Thanks...

Yep...
  1. Name the file such that it guarantees a UNIQUE match at the website that owns the database.
  2. Name TV Shows in the format Series.Name.SxxExx.ext like Scrubs.S01E01.mkv or Star.Trek.Deep.Space.9.S03E12.iso

That's really all there is to it!

It doesn't yet support metadata for MULTI-EPISODE disks, so I just create symlinks on my NAS for them... like this:

Star.Trek.S01E01.iso
Star.Trek.S01E02.iso --> Star.Trek.S01E01.iso
Star.Trek.S01E03.iso --> Star.Trek.S01E01.iso
Star.Trek.S01E04.iso --> Star.Trek.S01E01.iso
Star.Trek.S01E05.iso --> Star.Trek.S01E01.iso
etc.
post #137 of 4686
I hope the mods will excuse me double posting here. I'm still unable to post links, and hence I couldn't quote people I wanted to reply to.
post #138 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post

RaphaelWD:

I'm guessing this is the link you wanted to post:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Li...treaming_ideas

...but I'm not finding an idea about DTS?

The idea I was thinking of was for Live Hub, but there is also the older one that jakmal posted for Live Plus:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post

Back in 2009, I started this idea:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Live-Liv...pport/idi-p/92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrypt View Post

Could anyone confirm will this new version spin up/down a usb drive?

Yes it should. As should the older players. Were you having a problem with a particular model? If you give me more detail, I can look into it. All of our players should spin any attached USB drives down after 10 minutes of inactivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddwalker View Post

The last gen WDTV Live Plus can play 1080p60 MTS files, even though it wasn't listed as its capabilities. Will this new WDTV be able to do the same?

Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalyr View Post

cant get that media library to work for me. have got pics for each movie on one hard drive. highlighting movie brings up the associated pic. just dont have any media info of course. hope i can figure this out.

The player needs to look this information up in an online database. You can fetch this info one movie at a time by hitting the option key and choosing "Get Content Info". Alternately, you can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalyr View Post

And does the name of the movie have to be a certain way? Got the movie 2012 named as 2012 (2009). THanks.

Our default movie metasource is TMDb. If your search (the movie filename) returns a single result on their site, then you shouldn't have to change anything. Typically this means naming your movies like this: "Some Movie Title (2011).mkv"

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxnews View Post

why did they disable media library for NAS?

We are working to resolve this in an upcoming firmware release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Edit- Through more testing I see I got it partly to work in some files to decode multichannel AAC/FLAC but it just doesn't work. It either cuts out or the picture starts to stutter- it's pretty much unwatchable.

If you can post or PM me samples, I can look into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefer View Post

...I have 3 MKV files that I accuired for testing. One out of the 3 play. Two of them stop at the same spot and pretty much hang the WDTV. All 3 play perfect with VLC player on my Win7 box.

Once again, please post samples of the files that aren't playing properly and I can look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Raphael, or anyone, how do you do this? When I got to add a new scraper, it lets me browse to my attached storage (a USB stick), but how do you specify XBMC? The USB stick is just there as temporary storage as all my videos are on my server (network share).

From metasource manager, you must select a valid scraper XML file (and associated icon image). The XBMC wiki has instructions on how to author your own scrapers, and if you search around you can find existing scraper.xml files to use.
post #139 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post

Yep...
  1. Name the file such that it guarantees a UNIQUE match at the website that owns the database.
  2. Name TV Shows in the format Series.Name.SxxExx.ext like Scrubs.S01E01.mkv or Star.Trek.Deep.Space.9.S03E12.iso

That's really all there is to it!

It doesn't yet support metadata for MULTI-EPISODE disks, so I just create symlinks on my NAS for them... like this:

Star.Trek.S01E01.iso
Star.Trek.S01E02.iso --> Star.Trek.S01E01.iso
Star.Trek.S01E03.iso --> Star.Trek.S01E01.iso
Star.Trek.S01E04.iso --> Star.Trek.S01E01.iso
Star.Trek.S01E05.iso --> Star.Trek.S01E01.iso
etc.

Thanks! will give it a try tonight and see what happens...
post #140 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post

Yep...
  1. Name the file such that it guarantees a UNIQUE match at the website that owns the database.
  2. Name TV Shows in the format Series.Name.SxxExx.ext like Scrubs.S01E01.mkv or Star.Trek.Deep.Space.9.S03E12.iso

That's really all there is to it!

It doesn't yet support metadata for MULTI-EPISODE disks, so I just create symlinks on my NAS for them... like this:

Star.Trek.S01E01.iso
Star.Trek.S01E02.iso --> Star.Trek.S01E01.iso
Star.Trek.S01E03.iso --> Star.Trek.S01E01.iso
Star.Trek.S01E04.iso --> Star.Trek.S01E01.iso
Star.Trek.S01E05.iso --> Star.Trek.S01E01.iso
etc.

Are spaces required to be a period '.' or will an underscore work '_'?

like: Star_Trek.S01E02.iso

Tim
post #141 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post

Yep...
  1. Name TV Shows in the format Series.Name.SxxExx.ext like Scrubs.S01E01.mkv or Star.Trek.Deep.Space.9.S03E12.iso

That's really all there is to it!

Grrrr, i really dislike the 01E01 format - what about 1x01 ?
post #142 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loubut View Post

Grrrr, i really dislike the 01E01 format - what about 1x01 ?

I've never tried it like that (or with spaces or underscores) so I don't know for sure.

It can't hurt to try other formats... But I can guarantee that the format I describe above is guaranteed to work 100% of the time.
post #143 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimA View Post

Are spaces required to be a period '.' or will an underscore work '_'?

like: Star_Trek.S01E02.iso

Tim

Dashes, dots, and underscores are replaced with spaces before the device performs the lookup.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loubut View Post

Grrrr, i really dislike the 01E01 format - what about 1x01 ?

The 1x01 format is also supported.
post #144 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post

I've never tried it like that (or with spaces or underscores) so I don't know for sure.

It can't hurt to try other formats... But I can guarantee that the format I describe above is guaranteed to work 100% of the time.

I don't know why i don't like that format, its some irrational dislike - but that's me in a nutshell, and I see raphaelwd says it works

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphaelwd View Post

The 1x01 format is also supported.

Thanks!
post #145 of 4686
@raphaelwd...much thanks for the replies. Figured out the scraping was just for USB HDDs. I am sure you read that I removed my HDDs and attached them to media player via USB. Did all the scraping that way of course. Then put HDDs back in PC and am most happy at the moment. All pics and movie info is still there. Should hold me over for a while. What I encountered while scraping last night was the movie name would be correct for imdb. but not for the source. I would check further down the imdb page to find the release date was the following year. I correct the name and all was well. FYI.
post #146 of 4686
Just picked one of these up for $90 (10% off coupon @ Best Buy) after being very happy with my previous 3 models that get tons of us (1 WDTV and 2 WDTV Live's, all 3 are flashed with custom firmware for moviesheet use).

Anyway, I plugged it in and was blown away with how fast it was and how clean the user interface was. So simple my wife, or maybe a babysitter, could probably figure it out.

Logging into all of the streaming services was easy with the use of a USB keyboard.

My only issue is getting the scraping to work properly. The hard drive I have it plugged into already has folder.jpg files, along with moviesheet files, etc... and after a while some of the info started to show up (other than the folder.jpg files which were there right away).

After an hour, I've noticed that some of the info is still blank, and I'm sure it's just a naming issue. So, what is the proper naming format for movies so that it can find the data easily?
post #147 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiehl View Post

Just picked one of these up for $90 (10% off coupon @ Best Buy) after being very happy with my previous 3 models that get tons of us (1 WDTV and 2 WDTV Live's, all 3 are flashed with custom firmware for moviesheet use).

Anyway, I plugged it in and was blown away with how fast it was and how clean the user interface was. So simple my wife, or maybe a babysitter, could probably figure it out.

Logging into all of the streaming services was easy with the use of a USB keyboard.

My only issue is getting the scraping to work properly. The hard drive I have it plugged into already has folder.jpg files, along with moviesheet files, etc... and after a while some of the info started to show up (other than the folder.jpg files which were there right away).

After an hour, I've noticed that some of the info is still blank, and I'm sure it's just a naming issue. So, what is the proper naming format for movies so that it can find the data easily?

Naming for movies is simple format. MovieName Year. Ex: The Matrix 1999.
post #148 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalyr View Post

Naming for movies is simple format. MovieName Year. Ex: The Matrix 1999.

Awesome, thanks for the quick response. I'll go through my USB HDD's and rename all of the mkv files to that, and then will probably need to go back and redo all of them for use on my WDTV Live units.
post #149 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiehl View Post

Awesome, thanks for the quick response. I'll go through my USB HDD's and rename all of the mkv files to that, and then will probably need to go back and redo all of them for use on my WDTV Live units.

Here's a quick double-check.

Log into

www.themoviedb.org

and try your search there. If you get more than one match, try a more unique name. Generally Cavalyr's suggestion works with no issues at all.

I've only had issues with movies that have odd things in the title like M*A*S*H or whatever; it can be a little dicey.

.. and given that themoviedb.org is a TOTALLY open database, the information, formats, and names can change on someone's whim... That's quite annoying, and in the forums for that website, there are often bloody heated arguments about how entries should be named while it's changing back and forth in the database almost daily!!

Cases in point:
Battlestar Galactica (The Pilot to the 70's show that was screened in theaters): "It's a MOVIE!" "No, it was a TV PILOT!" "But it played in theaters!" "I DON'T CARE!!!"

Such is Life in an "Open Source World..."

Sorry, you didn't ask for all that... !
post #150 of 4686
Yeah, I went through and renamed all of my movie files and it's picked up most of them very well. The TV shows all worked the first time, which was nice.

I noticed in my movies folder though, it shows all of the individual movie photos and artwork at the bottom, and then I can browse to each one and it shows the movie details (actors, description, photos cycling in the background). All of that works well, but it's not updating the information no the main folder browsing screen where I see the folders for each movie.

Most of that data just says N/A for year, runtime, genre, etc... (even though it's updated inside the movie's individual folder).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › *Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread