or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › *Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 86

post #2551 of 4686
It is starting to look a little fishy.
post #2552 of 4686
Question: What does the latest version of WD TV do with Netflix's DD+ signal via HDMI? I was playing with a panel I picked up for a relative, an Insignia NS-39d240, and in setting it up used my WD TV SMP version. Running that I got DD audio from the mini sound bar the set has. I ran the 23.xxx Short with the unit set to DD5.1 and each channel announcement came through, as did the audio on every movie in DD that I streamed.

Took it out to my relative and hooked up her Roku box, set it to DD 5.1 and ---nothing. There was no way I could get DD5.1+ to play, had to switch to 2 channel. Is the WD somehow down-converting the audio?
post #2553 of 4686
Matt, might be a dumb question but you need to ensure that the program you're watching actually has DD+ audio. Not all of NetFlix's offerings do. I think ONLY HD videos do, and then, not all of them.

I have a Pioneer AVR on my box and DD+ works OK for me via HDMI on NetFlix...
post #2554 of 4686
First, the title has to have a "5.1" in it, next to the HD symbol. Also, your audio device has to support DD+.
post #2555 of 4686
No, the issue is the HDMI output from the WD played every title I tired that had DD 5.1+ in the options, the Roku would not. Weird.
post #2556 of 4686
You're asking why the ROKU does not do 5.1? I think you are in the wrong thread.
post #2557 of 4686
I need help......we have a wd live tv media player that is hard wired....we have a seagate go flex home hard drive....we aren't able to access movies....when we try we get content not available.....we have tried everything under the sun.....when it does work we are watching something and right in the middle it shuts down and says it was disconnected from the network......someone please help. We are ready to throw the thing out the window
post #2558 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEd View Post

You're asking why the ROKU does not do 5.1? I think you are in the wrong thread.


No, i'm questioning how the WD handles the DD+ signal. Why the WD works and the Roku does not. Same feed, different results- should be the same.
post #2559 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

No, the issue is the HDMI output from the WD played every title I tired that had DD 5.1+ in the options, the Roku would not. Weird.

Matt, is your aunt's Roku box the Roku 2 or the previous generation? If it's the older box it does not do DD 5.1.
post #2560 of 4686
Nope roku 2...
post #2561 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMasta View Post

Hi all, i am curious if anyone else is having the device tell them that FLACs are not supported when trying to play back from MediaServer installed on my computer. Mine only started doing this since the latest firmware 1.14.09.

edit: what i posted only partially worked, 3 of my 30 albums of FLAC were moved, but only 3 of them are showing up on the WD's media server list
Edited by RPGMasta - 3/16/13 at 6:16pm
post #2562 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEd View Post

Odd. When I hit 'options' on the WDTV LIVE nothing happens. Only works when I do it on the hub. I wonder what I have set up wrong.

AH! You guys are right! Thanks WDFan1970, that did the trick! It does work! What I had done wrong is I set my WDTV media source to my server, not, "My Media Library." Once it set it to My Media Library and then set THAT to the WDTVhub server it worked!! I get all the actors, director, producer, ratings as well a synopsis. And even on one screen it scrolls through various scenes in the movie as a background!! Wow, this is EXACTLY what I'd been hoping for, thanks a ton for pointing me in the right direction!
post #2563 of 4686
Does this device support ac3 and DTS audio over DLNA and USB?
post #2564 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by arohitu View Post

Does this device support ac3 and DTS audio over DLNA and USB?
Yes
post #2565 of 4686
OK all you WD fans, I have on for you:

I have a WD SMP attached to a 3tb NAS mybooklive all hardwired cat6. I recently added "Ghostbusters" I and II to my NAS. If I look under "files" on the SMP its there, plays, no issues. If I look under "videos" (specifically my media) it doesn't exist...So to test, I changed the file name of ghostbusters on the NAS to "Taken" a popular recent film and you guessed it, it picks it up right away, shows cover art, description, everything. I then went in under videos to the "taken" box and hit "options" changed the name to ghostbusters (changed the file name back on the NAS) and there it is with cover art and all. I have this issue with 15 movies so far and these are not obscure movies. If I look under "files" I have 115 movies, under "videos" I have 100 (these are all dvd/BR backups so no other content). Problem is when the SMP is turned off and back on it forgets everything. So what gives? WD says to do an RMA and send it back but this happened with the last one and this sounds like firm/hardware issues to me and not the player itself.

Any help would be amazing because their tech support is...ummm....
post #2566 of 4686
dzl: If you're using Media Library as your content source, you might try just clearing it and letting it rebuild.
If you're using Media Server as your content source, then the issue is on the My Book Live -- you need to refresh its database.
post #2567 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzl13 View Post

OK all you WD fans, I have on for you:

I have a WD SMP attached to a 3tb NAS mybooklive all hardwired cat6. I recently added "Ghostbusters" I and II to my NAS. If I look under "files" on the SMP its there, plays, no issues. If I look under "videos" (specifically my media) it doesn't exist...So to test, I changed the file name of ghostbusters on the NAS to "Taken" a popular recent film and you guessed it, it picks it up right away, shows cover art, description, everything. I then went in under videos to the "taken" box and hit "options" changed the name to ghostbusters (changed the file name back on the NAS) and there it is with cover art and all. I have this issue with 15 movies so far and these are not obscure movies. If I look under "files" I have 115 movies, under "videos" I have 100 (these are all dvd/BR backups so no other content). Problem is when the SMP is turned off and back on it forgets everything. So what gives? WD says to do an RMA and send it back but this happened with the last one and this sounds like firm/hardware issues to me and not the player itself.

Any help would be amazing because their tech support is...ummm....

Try to rescan the folder added to your media library. You can do that in "settings", somewhere in the media library options. That should do the trick.
post #2568 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post

I just use the iPad app if I need a keyboard for the WDTV.

When you say the iPad app, do you mean the one for the iPhone? Or did you buy another non-WD iPad app for $2.99?

The only free WD app that I found for the WD TV LIve is the "small" iPhone version. It works on iPad, but its not really an iPad app.

Is there another app I should look at?
thanks,
Steve
post #2569 of 4686
No, the free iPhone app. The only time I use it is when I need a keyboard. It's much easier on the iPad than the remote or even the iPhone.
post #2570 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post

Anyone know if there are any rumors of a new hardware revision of the WDTV Live Streamer? You can't order these from Amazon.com or BestBuy.com. Can only get them through 3rd party retailers on Amazon or pickup in store from BB. I was thinking about picking one up from my local Best Buy, but if there is a new one rumored to be right around the corner, I can wait.
they are back in stock at amazon soon...
post #2571 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post

they are back in stock at amazon soon...

No, Amazon isn't selling them, just their 3rd party resellers. Which is what makes me wonder if a new version is on the horizon.
post #2572 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post

No, the free iPhone app. The only time I use it is when I need a keyboard. It's much easier on the iPad than the remote or even the iPhone.

thanks
post #2573 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post

No, Amazon isn't selling them, just their 3rd party resellers. Which is what makes me wonder if a new version is on the horizon.
Fewer stores are listing it every time I check PriceGrabber.com. The WD store has been out of stock. BestBuy is only listing it for in-store pickup which is a sure sign of inventory clearance. So unless the next production run has hit a snag and is delayed, I'm thinking this model is at end of life.

The question is, will there be a new model or will it be removed from the product line to just leave the WD Live Play at the low end and the Live Hub as the more complete media streamer. Doesn't seem to be any hint, one way or the other.
post #2574 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Fewer stores are listing it every time I check PriceGrabber.com. The WD store has been out of stock. BestBuy is only listing it for in-store pickup which is a sure sign of inventory clearance. So unless the next production run has hit a snag and is delayed, I'm thinking this model is at end of life.

The question is, will there be a new model or will it be removed from the product line to just leave the WD Live Play at the low end and the Live Hub as the more complete media streamer. Doesn't seem to be any hint, one way or the other.

My local Best Buy still had a few. I noticed that they had them in a corner hidden for $80 dollars on sale. The sales guy said they have been discontinued.
post #2575 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post

No, Amazon isn't selling them, just their 3rd party resellers. Which is what makes me wonder if a new version is on the horizon.

I should have taken a screen grab when I saw it. It was Sold & Shipped by Amazon, was $99.99 and said "In Stock March 24." But it doesn't now..
post #2576 of 4686
Can any one tell the limitations or cons of this device?

Is there any other device that supports formats and audio/video codecs that are not supported by this device?

I'm mostly looking forward on playablity over USB and DLNA/NAS.

Streaming options like, netflix is not a factor.

Thanks in Advance
post #2577 of 4686
^^^^^^^

You might want to check out Dune also.
http://dune-hd.com/eng/products/full_hd_media_players
post #2578 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by arohitu View Post

Can any one tell the limitations or cons of this device?

Is there any other device that supports formats and audio/video codecs that are not supported by this device?

I'm mostly looking forward on playablity over USB and DLNA/NAS.

Streaming options like, netflix is not a factor.

Thanks in Advance
It is stable, well supported and plays just about everything you throw at it -- all for a very nice price point. The only cons are that it lacks some playback features that are typically found on much higher priced units.

Lots of people have written mini-reviews and commentary in this thread. Read back a couple hundred posts and you will get a good feel for the Live-SMP.
post #2579 of 4686
I have had my SMP player for over a year and it has worked pretty well. Now suddenly it will not play about half of my 300+ dvd iso files I get the message "Unable to play selected file. Please see the user manual for a list of supported formats". Some iso files play fine some don't. All were ripped the identical way with DVDFab. All used to work. Any thoughts?
post #2580 of 4686
Try resetting the unit (via the onscreen menu) to the factory defaults. That always works for me when my WD streamers start displaying that message for files they've played with no problem in the past.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › *Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread