or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › *Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 87

post #2581 of 4687
Sometimes pulling the plug and letting the caps drain before cold rebooting works as well.
post #2582 of 4687
I'd say this is a very good all round player. It might burp if you have some really odd ball files, but everything I throw at it lays fine.
post #2583 of 4687
Thanks for the suggestions, but I have tried the factory default reset and power cycle several times but no change. Any other ideas?
post #2584 of 4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsinco View Post

I have had my SMP player for over a year and it has worked pretty well. Now suddenly it will not play about half of my 300+ dvd iso files I get the message "Unable to play selected file. Please see the user manual for a list of supported formats". Some iso files play fine some don't. All were ripped the identical way with DVDFab. All used to work. Any thoughts?

Did any thing change? Firmware update?
post #2585 of 4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsinco View Post

Some iso files play fine some don't. All were ripped the identical way with DVDFab. All used to work. Any thoughts?
I'm on 1.14.09 and my ISOs still work. Does Setup > Video Settings > DVD Menu > On/Off make any difference? Is there anything special about the ISOs that don't play (what does Mediainfo show?)
post #2586 of 4687
I need recommendations for a NAS server to serve discs to my to my 3 WDTV Live boxes.

I primarily use mkv and have never had any problems playing them. I play the mkv's on my blu-ray player as well. (It has chapters and DTS-MA support).

I am currently using an ASUS router to serve discs. Although the ASUS works, it does not have really good disc management. Trying to unmount a volume can be a real pain. And, if it has to reboot it takes over 2 hours to have all of the discs served.

I would like to use an NAS server. But, it has to duplicate the following functionality of the ASUS.

1. It must have multiple usbs. I could probably live with just one and use a usb hub.

2. Have both DLNA & SMB support. Of course the WDTV can use either but I prefer network shares because of the metadata support. But, my blu-ray player only uses DLNA. So, I need both.
I assume that this is normal but want to make sure.

3. It needs to serve at least 8 discs.

4. Handle 3 & 4 TB discs. Again, I assume that support of larger volumes is normal. (I don't have any 4 TB discs now but probably will in the future.)

A feature I do not want is the poor disc management. Just something that is easy to use and allows handling of USB connected discs without a lot of hassle.

Having internal discs is not requred.

It will not be serving music files.

Thanks.
post #2587 of 4687
Have you considered a Windows Home Server 2011 rig? Combine this with Covecube's StableBit DrivePool and it ticks all your boxes
post #2588 of 4687
I looked at Windows Home Server 11 but decided not to go that route.

Thanks for the suggestion.
post #2589 of 4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Smith View Post

Just something that is easy to use and allows handling of USB connected discs without a lot of hassle.

Having internal discs is not requred.
Generally, all the boxes people here consider as NAS units are built around internal drive bays and RAID configurations to provide a single volume. If they have USB ports they are usually used for off-loading from the NAS for backup and not as ports for shared disks. It sounds like what you want is something akin to a networked USB hub. Those do exist, you can find them on NewEgg. Seagate made one called the DockStar which I used as my first "poor-mans NAS" unit. None of them, though, are any more functionality than you would find in a USB hub -- that mean no DLNA server.

You may have discounted Win Server 2011, but it sounds to me like a PC-based solution is what you may need. A PC will have multiple USB ports that can support multiple USB Hubs to allow you to connect as many external USB drives as you have power for and available drive letters.
post #2590 of 4687
If you have an unused computer lying around, WHS 2011 can be had for less than $50, it's even free if you have an MSDN or TechNet subscription
post #2591 of 4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Smith View Post

I need recommendations for a NAS server to serve discs to my to my 3 WDTV Live boxes.

I primarily use mkv and have never had any problems playing them. I play the mkv's on my blu-ray player as well. (It has chapters and DTS-MA support).

I am currently using an ASUS router to serve discs. Although the ASUS works, it does not have really good disc management. Trying to unmount a volume can be a real pain. And, if it has to reboot it takes over 2 hours to have all of the discs served.

I would like to use an NAS server. But, it has to duplicate the following functionality of the ASUS.

1. It must have multiple usbs. I could probably live with just one and use a usb hub.

2. Have both DLNA & SMB support. Of course the WDTV can use either but I prefer network shares because of the metadata support. But, my blu-ray player only uses DLNA. So, I need both.
I assume that this is normal but want to make sure.

3. It needs to serve at least 8 discs.

4. Handle 3 & 4 TB discs. Again, I assume that support of larger volumes is normal. (I don't have any 4 TB discs now but probably will in the future.)

A feature I do not want is the poor disc management. Just something that is easy to use and allows handling of USB connected discs without a lot of hassle.

Having internal discs is not requred.

It will not be serving music files.

Thanks.

Just FYI WDTV doesn't support DTS-MA only True HD. I would consider building an unraid server. I built my own, and I've been using it for 2 year without any issues for storing and streaming media.
post #2592 of 4687
I just got one and for some reason it will see my 1TB external USB when it is plugged in to the WDTV Live but not my 4TB Hitachi HHD that is plugged in via a Sabrent SATA to USB HDD box. Do I need to get a dif SATA to USB box... If so what boxes are suggested?

tia,
Ron
post #2593 of 4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post

I just got one and for some reason it will see my 1TB external USB when it is plugged in to the WDTV Live but not my 4TB Hitachi HHD that is plugged in via a Sabrent SATA to USB HDD box. Do I need to get a dif SATA to USB box... If so what boxes are suggested?

tia,
Ron
Is the 4TB drive formatted with a GPT partition? The WD only understands drives over 2TB that are formatted with GPT.
post #2594 of 4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Sometimes pulling the plug and letting the caps drain before cold rebooting works as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter0911 View Post

Did any thing change? Firmware update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post

I'm on 1.14.09 and my ISOs still work. Does Setup > Video Settings > DVD Menu > On/Off make any difference? Is there anything special about the ISOs that don't play (what does Mediainfo show?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Sometimes pulling the plug and letting the caps drain before cold rebooting works as well.

Thanks Kelson, Otter0911, and Techflaws, but none of your suggestions worked. However I do have some new data about my situation and its weird behavior. I tried copying a few of the malfunctioning movies from my NAS (QNAP TS-219+) to a USB HDD and then playing them on the SMP. Surprisingly they all worked!
I then deleted the originals from my NAS, and copied the copies back to my NAS. They all now worked from the NAS. Strange that the act of copying them would make them play OK. I haven't a clue as to what this means. The idea of recopying hundreds of movies is not too appealing to me so do any of you have an idea of what could be going on? FYI the movies are Analyze This, Charade, Salt and Air Force One.

Just to reiterate;
All my DVDs were ripped to iso using the identical process with DVDFab
All currently play with VLC
About a third of them will not now play from my NAS on the SMP getting the message "Unable to play the selected file. Please see the User Manual for a list of supported files."
I have tried firmware revisions 1.12.14, 1.13.18, and 1.14.09
I have reset to factory defaults and rebooted numerous times.
I have turned DVD Menu on and off
I even rebooted my NAS.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
post #2595 of 4687
One other note I forgot, I also deleted the .wd_tv file and let the SMP rebuild my library. Not sure that should effect anything, but I tried it antway.
post #2596 of 4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsinco View Post

One other note I forgot, I also deleted the .wd_tv file and let the SMP rebuild my library. Not sure that should effect anything, but I tried it antway.

Have you had the NAS to resync your data?
post #2597 of 4687
No, I am not sure what you mean by resyncing my data.
post #2598 of 4687
Also, is there any other place that the SMP strores data on your movie files other than in the .wd_tv folder?
post #2599 of 4687
I think deleting the .wd_tv file might have been the problem. I did that on my Hub and alot of my DVD iso's stopped working.
post #2600 of 4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter0911 View Post

I think deleting the .wd_tv file might have been the problem. I did that on my Hub and alot of my DVD iso's stopped working.

I thought when you rebooted the SMP, it rebuilt the .WD_TV file.
post #2601 of 4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsinco View Post

No, I am not sure what you mean by resyncing my data.

Sorry I'm not an expert when it comes to these. I have a Netgear ReadyNAS with 4 drives, sometimes if I have moved a lot of new data to it, it has to resync the drives and this causes the Live and the Hub to not see some files that were previously shown and playable until the NAS has finished resyncing the drives.
post #2602 of 4687
Does this device support 3d blu ray ISO from USB? An also will this device play HSBS MKV (AVC; DTS)?

I'm curious on this..

Please help.
post #2603 of 4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by arohitu View Post

Does this device support 3d blu ray ISO from USB? An also will this device play HSBS MKV (AVC; DTS)?

I'm curious on this..

Please help.

No.
post #2604 of 4687
Thanks for all of your suggestions.

I will keep my disks on the ASUS RT65U router for now and will probably use a Window Server 11 in the future. I didn't want to have another PC but it looks like it might be the only way to get the flexibility that I really need.

And for the response about TrueHD, I already knew that. It was not part of my initial question but thanks for the response anyways.

My blu-ray does not support TrueHD or 5.1 PCM for network accessed files and the WDTV does. And, the player does support DTS-MA but the WDTV does not. So, having both gives me the audio support I need.
I guess there will never be one device that gives me everything I need but I can hope for one.

Again I thank all of you that responded.
post #2605 of 4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

No.


The "NO" was for both the questions?
post #2606 of 4687
It supports any 3D HSBS as long as the AVC profile used is compliant.
post #2607 of 4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Is the 4TB drive formatted with a GPT partition? The WD only understands drives over 2TB that are formatted with GPT.
Thanks, I will have to check that. I had thought that since windows 7 sees it as 4TB it would be fine. Hopefully this will solve the problem.
post #2608 of 4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post

Thanks, I will have to check that. I had thought that since windows 7 sees it as 4TB it would be fine. Hopefully this will solve the problem.
In Win-7 and with your 4TB drive attached to a USB port:
  • go to Control Panel
  • open up Device Manager
  • click the Disk drives drop down
  • select your external USB drive, right-click and select Properties
  • In the Properties dialog box select the Volumes tab
  • If the window is not populated, click the Populate button
  • The fourth entry down is Partition style
  • It will show either (MBR) or (GPT)

If it says MBR then Win-7 must have installed some driver software that was probably on the disk to allow it to use an MBR formatted partition >2TB. The WD Live will not recognize it if it is MBR. You can use Win-7 to transform an MBR disk to a GPT disk, but once you do so it cannot be accessed by any version of Windows below Vista. If it says GPT and the WD doesn't recognize it then I'm stuck. I have had a 4TB external drive with GPT partition on my WD Lives and it worked fine.

Hope this helps.
post #2609 of 4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

In Win-7 and with your 4TB drive attached to a USB port:
  • go to Control Panel
  • open up Device Manager
  • click the Disk drives drop down
  • select your external USB drive, right-click and select Properties
  • In the Properties dialog box select the Volumes tab
  • If the window is not populated, click the Populate button
  • The fourth entry down is Partition style
  • It will show either (MBR) or (GPT)

If it says MBR then Win-7 must have installed some driver software that was probably on the disk to allow it to use an MBR formatted partition >2TB. The WD Live will not recognize it if it is MBR. You can use Win-7 to transform an MBR disk to a GPT disk, but once you do so it cannot be accessed by any version of Windows below Vista. If it says GPT and the WD doesn't recognize it then I'm stuck. I have had a 4TB external drive with GPT partition on my WD Lives and it worked fine.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help... It says GPT... I am wondering if it is the SATA to USB adapter that is incompatible. I am currently copying my movies over to a HGST 4TB Touro Desk External Drive (a Western Digital Company). I checked before I moved any movies and it saw it, so I am assuming it will work fine. We are having a Movie night tonight and I was hoping to use the WDTV but I guess it will be run on the PC.
post #2610 of 4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post

It says GPT... I am wondering if it is the SATA to USB adapter that is incompatible.
That is probably the case. My 4TB drive was a native USB connection into the WD Live.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › *Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread