or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › *Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 90

post #2671 of 4707
Well that's all I got.
post #2672 of 4707
Thanks - It was worth a shot ... anyway, with the price of the PS/3 plummeting it makes some of these media boxes look expensive!
post #2673 of 4707
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmone View Post

Thanks - It was worth a shot ... anyway, with the price of the PS/3 plummeting it makes some of these media boxes look expensive!
Aside from the fact that the PS3 was designed as a game console and not a media player, remember it is fully vested in Cinavia.
post #2674 of 4707
Mmm good point - thankfully we are not seeing any Cinavia BD's yet down under.
post #2675 of 4707
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmone View Post

Mmm good point - thankfully we are not seeing any Cinavia BD's yet down under.
Here is the list to check against: Cinavia titles
post #2676 of 4707
FYI - Looks like we have narrowed the issue down to having 2 x NIC ports active on the PC used as the DLNA server. Where there is one it is solid, but the WDTV Live drops the connection within a couple of minutes if there are 2 active ports.

EDIT - I've teamed the two NIC Ports and it is all good. No drop outs from the WD TV Live + maintained good throughput to my Server.
Edited by jmone - 4/3/13 at 11:45pm
post #2677 of 4707
For its price point or near it, do you guys think the WDTV Live has any good competitors?
post #2678 of 4707
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiton View Post

For its price point or near it, do you guys think the WDTV Live has any good competitors?

I suggest you buy on features and performance, not price.

 

Is your main concern playing local media (like from a share or NAS) or using online streaming services. I'm no expert, but to me, that seems to be the main division on these media boxes.

post #2679 of 4707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

I suggest you buy on features and performance, not price.

Is your main concern playing local media (like from a share or NAS) or using online streaming services. I'm no expert, but to me, that seems to be the main division on these media boxes.

I guess I do mostly local content right now, though I wonder if I might do more streaming if I had the capability.
post #2680 of 4707
Is there anyway to side load Andriod apps onto this box? One I want is a HDHomeRun app that lets you play Live TV Channels from this tuner.
post #2681 of 4707
Of course not.
post #2682 of 4707
90 pages on this device is too much to go through smile.gif
so apologies if this is been answered previously.

I am purchasing the gen 3 wd live but where it will be located is a "dead" spot for my wifi signal. I have an ethernet cable there so will wire it that way. My question is, I have 2 ethernet switches and want to know if I am ok to connect to 10/100 Mbps or if I need to connect to the 10/100/1000 Mbps switch for speed purposes?
Basically, is 100 Mbps enough?

thanks!

(media to be streamed from My Book Duo NAS - flac, 1080p movies, tv shows, etc)
post #2683 of 4707
100 Mbps is more than fine. Our 10/100 network has 3 switches plus the router and I can be streaming two movies while my son is playing MW III oneline, *and* downloading large work files (coming in around 20Mbps). You should not run into any speed issues.
post #2684 of 4707
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakydrew View Post

90 pages on this device is too much to go through smile.gif
so apologies if this is been answered previously.

I am purchasing the gen 3 wd live but where it will be located is a "dead" spot for my wifi signal. I have an ethernet cable there so will wire it that way. My question is, I have 2 ethernet switches and want to know if I am ok to connect to 10/100 Mbps or if I need to connect to the 10/100/1000 Mbps switch for speed purposes?
Basically, is 100 Mbps enough?

thanks!

(media to be streamed from My Book Duo NAS - flac, 1080p movies, tv shows, etc)

The device is only 10/100, read the specs sheet
post #2685 of 4707
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakydrew View Post

90 pages on this device is too much to go through smile.gif
so apologies if this is been answered previously.

I am purchasing the gen 3 wd live but where it will be located is a "dead" spot for my wifi signal. I have an ethernet cable there so will wire it that way. My question is, I have 2 ethernet switches and want to know if I am ok to connect to 10/100 Mbps or if I need to connect to the 10/100/1000 Mbps switch for speed purposes?
Basically, is 100 Mbps enough?

thanks!

(media to be streamed from My Book Duo NAS - flac, 1080p movies, tv shows, etc)

Yes, 100 is fine and props for running a wire when you saw you needed it.

 

For 1 or 2 concurrent 1080p-AC3/DTS streams off the file server or NAS ... 100 back-bone is fine. Much more than that or other concurrent traffic (gaming, torrenting, NetFlix, etc) ... 1000-gigabit back-bone might be a good idea and 1000 to NAS. Run your 100 switches off of that.

post #2686 of 4707
I already own a 400 disc BD changer that I have most of my movies on and plan to use until storage prices come down and this whole process becomes a little more "streamlined".

That said, this seems like a great box for connecting an HDD and streaming local content.

I'm correct in assuming that NO box (legally, anyway) can do DTS HD so this is prolly my best bet...especially newer used for $60?

One more: connected to my router, does content become available to all dlna devices on my network or do I need the hub for that. Do apple devices have an "app" that will allow me to playback local content running through the LIVE?

thanks!

James
post #2687 of 4707
Since this new software update,I can no longer use the wdtv as a dmr!!!

Example, if I use imediashare to push youtube to wdtv nothing happens..

Even with wdtv ios app.

Last firmware was no issues.

Anyone have a fix???

Thanks

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
post #2688 of 4707
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

I already own a 400 disc BD changer that I have most of my movies on and plan to use until storage prices come down and this whole process becomes a little more "streamlined".

That said, this seems like a great box for connecting an HDD and streaming local content.

I'm correct in assuming that NO box (legally, anyway) can do DTS HD so this is prolly my best bet...especially newer used for $60?

One more: connected to my router, does content become available to all dlna devices on my network or do I need the hub for that. Do apple devices have an "app" that will allow me to playback local content running through the LIVE?

thanks!

James

Luckily you are wrong. There are many media players that can play HD sound.
post #2689 of 4707
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

I already own a 400 disc BD changer that I have most of my movies on and plan to use until storage prices come down and this whole process becomes a little more "streamlined".

Storage prices aren't going to come down anytime soon. Current drive technology will keep drives at around $50.00/TB. There's some new tech in the pipeline, but I wouldn't expect it to hit shelves until fall, and even then it won't be mainstream for another year at least. Regardless, considering the cost of those BR changers, the cost of storage is a bargain.
post #2690 of 4707
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Luckily you are wrong. There are many media players that can play HD sound.

I realize that there are many players that will play DTS HD - I just thought they were - ummmm- not exactly legit in the legal arena as I thought I read DTS will only license BD players and have yet to do so with MPs.

James
post #2691 of 4707
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

Storage prices aren't going to come down anytime soon. Current drive technology will keep drives at around $50.00/TB. There's some new tech in the pipeline, but I wouldn't expect it to hit shelves until fall, and even then it won't be mainstream for another year at least. Regardless, considering the cost of those BR changers, the cost of storage is a bargain.

That's why I'm waiting.

Further, I bought my changer for about $550, new. They now go used on eBay for $800+...I think people are finally beginning to appreciate the convenience and massive storage that comes with a 400 blu ray box.

I wouldn't call either option a "bargain". Getting a NAS and the appropriate number of TBs (12+ raid) for a serious movie collection is $1000, easy.

James
post #2692 of 4707
Hi again:

So I picked up a 3TB Seagate Central. I can now playback my files via WIFI on my apple devices.

Will the WD Lives in other rooms simply jump onto my WIFI network, "find" the Segate and play the files back as well? I can plug one into router in my living room, I'm just thinking about the bedroom where I don't have ethernet.

Sorry, prolly a dumb question, but I'm a brick when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks

James
Edited by mastermaybe - 4/13/13 at 4:55am
post #2693 of 4707
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

I realize that there are many players that will play DTS HD - I just thought they were - ummmm- not exactly legit in the legal arena as I thought I read DTS will only license BD players and have yet to do so with MPs.
So? Even if that were the case, you bought the BDs and ripped it for playback on a MP. I can't see anything wrong with that.
post #2694 of 4707
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

I realize that there are many players that will play DTS HD - I just thought they were - ummmm- not exactly legit in the legal arena as I thought I read DTS will only license BD players and have yet to do so with MPs.

James

Nope.
post #2695 of 4707
I Love this streamer. the only thing that lets it down for me is no volume control
post #2696 of 4707
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddi23 View Post

I Love this streamer. the only thing that lets it down for me is no volume control

Right, but with Digital Sound, volume control usually falls to the audio amp (whether it's in the TV or AVR). Use a Universal Remote or Harmony (like 650).

post #2697 of 4707
Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post

So? Even if that were the case, you bought the BDs and ripped it for playback on a MP. I can't see anything wrong with that.

Hey I'm not trying to be combative- I was really just asking out of an honest curiosity more than anything else. I never really considered that some of the MPs out there may be a bit fringe in some ways.

So does anything by a "major" CEM like Netgear, WD, etc do DTS HD or do you need to got to a Dune, PCH, etc?

Again for me, can the Live access my HDD wirelessly or does it need to be USB'd to the player?

Thanks

James
Edited by mastermaybe - 4/13/13 at 12:39pm
post #2698 of 4707
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

So does anything by a "major" CEM like Netgear, WD, etc do DTS HD or do you need to got to a Dune, PCH, etc?
Yes, the Netgear 550 bitstreams DTS-HD. The WD Live doesn't because the WD Live decodes DTS and WD doesn't want to pay the extra fee for the license to bitstream DTS-HD. The WD TV Play does bitstream DTS-HD because it has no license to decode DTS so it is free to bitstream DTS-HD without a fee.

There are no legal issues, just money issues associated with license fees.
post #2699 of 4707
Probably sounds like a stupid suggestion, but why not convert your HD audio formats (LPCM, TrueHD, DTS-HD MA) into FLAC? I thought WDTV Live would decode FLAC, plus FLAC is a bit smaller in size isn't it?

The reason WDTV Live won't do DTS-HD MA is because of the licensing fees.

But I am about 99% sure that if you go in and set the audio output to "Digital" instead of "Stereo" it would passthrough DTS 5.1 (not DTS-HD MA) to a receiver that can decode DTS. Then at least you have the 1.5Mbps DTS 5.1 core in surround sound.

I don't know why FLAC isn't just universally used for all the audio on BD and DVD. Slightly smaller file size, it's free/open-source, and then there's no headaches with all this decoding/licensing stuff.
Edited by hogger129 - 4/13/13 at 5:13pm
post #2700 of 4707
Because FLAC isn't part of the BD specification. It's not like they can just change the specs, and thus render all BD hardware players sold prior basically useless...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › *Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread