or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › *Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 103

post #3061 of 4689
converting DTS HD to FLAC what will that do?? and is FLAC a better sound than DTS 1.5 mbps?
post #3062 of 4689
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJBBJB View Post

Thanks but nope, no plasma TV. Long-time IR repeater user, tried the re-placement. Only thing I can think of it is outside the frequency of my receiver or something. Works fine direct so not the unit. Really kind of strange. Tried a few different blasters too with no joy.


BJBBJB
A little late here but I just got my WD TV Live and also noticed the IR repeater issue. I have my audio and video components behind me so I have to bounce the signal 180 degrees. I can see the response indicators on the repeater as a result and saw no response to the OEM remote. Being a JP1 remote user, I loaded an upgrade file into my Universal remote and the repeater problem went away - working fine.

I assumed it was either a low output LED or a carrier frequency issue. Out of curiosity, I popped the remote case open and saw 2 output LEDs, mounted in a 60 degree "V" - 30 degrees left and 30 degrees right. If I aimed the remote way left or right of the IR pickup, the response indicator flashed normally and the WD TV Live worked easily. It must be a remote for drunk people since it works best when deliberately misaimed. If I was forced to use it instead of my universal remote, I would resolder the LEDs to aim forward instead of at angles.

And the WD TV Remote app for my iPhone works pretty slick also.
post #3063 of 4689
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post

SkOrPn, I think a lot of the confusion comes from the fact that you're mixing lots of issues together as if they're synonymous.

You're also taking folks' answers and applying them to a completely different context. For example, you took my post saying that Content Info collection doesn't work for FOLDERS or MEDIA SERVERS to mean that the WDTV doesn't work at all with Media Servers, which is not correct at all.

Initially, you were having problems collecting metadata because of filenames.
Then it turns out you're trying to collect metadata when connected via Media Server connection and FOLDER names.
In all of that, you never mentioned connection issues, just that you can't see certain files.
Now you say you're implying that you also have basic network connection problems. (when you said "I mean if other computers can connect so easily without trouble shouldn't the SMP also?")

Try sticking with ONE issue at a time. All this bouncing around may be masking or clouding issues.

You might also try posting at the WD Community, as this forum really isn't the best place for troubleshooting complex issues.

But back to your "Missing Files" issue. Did you try my suggestion a few posts up?

If it still doesn't work, please tell me an example file name that is not showing up. And be EXACT; don't give a summary answer, please.

Should be something like: Avatar (2009)(1080p).mkv
Not: Movie Title (Resolution)(source)(Something Else).(whatever extension)
I apologize if I am not that great at explaining myself. And I very much appreciate you trying to help. Sorry I have not replied in a while but I kinda gave up on it and decided to redo the system. I am now rebuilding the media server using an old Dell OptiPlex with a Intel Q35 chipset (just in case the NVIDIA sever is at fault). I am going to sell his Netbook and put the current NVIDIA machine into his Camper. I am installing an old AMD HD 4000 series card for him, which should playback just fine. Took me about 15 minutes, but I convinced him the Netbook would never work good enough and our Bluray collection nis growing monthly. He broke down and asked me to build him something better. This weekend I will redo the Server and I will try once again to figure out how to serve 100% of my collection to the WDTV SMP. I am thinking I need either Mezzmo or Serviio to do the dedicated streaming to the SMP, but I will also have to figure out if he wants to now use something like Plex, XBMC or MB3. Either way I have my work cut out for me over the next few days/weeks lol...

Thanks again. Oh and now that the Netbook is out of the picture, I am thinking about renaming the folders and files and removing all non pertinent information, movie size (720p) and year (2012) etc, and just leaving the title behind. Is this the most logical course of action?

Thanks again
post #3064 of 4689
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post

Yeah, I don't know what causes those problems.

I have over 20TB of NAS on my home network (not including my two Desktop Windows PCs and even a Linux Desktop.)

I have four WDTVs on my network, and not one of them has an issue working with network shares. They just work "Out of the Box" for me.

Just because your files are showing up on boxes A B & C doesn't mean they'll show up on the WD. But one thing is for sure... the WD can't list it if the server isn't allowing it to.

99% of the issues people have with sharing are issues on the PC or server. I say 99% just to leave room, but I've never seen an issue where what you describe was happening to a user that didn't turn out to be an issue on the PC (Antivirus, like AVG was a huge problem a while back; it'd only list files from A to L! Bizarre. But it was an AVG issue, not a WD issue.)

About the only way to narrow down issues like you're seeing (Selective, incomplete file listings) is to do network captures on the server and trace it down at the protocol level.

But you can try this, if you haven't already:
Turn media library off.
Go to the FILES tab on the WDTV.
Set the Content Source to NETWORK SHARES, and pick your server, log in, and select the share.

If the file listing is still incomplete, it's an issue with the server or perhaps some bizarre interaction with rare unicode characters in the filenames.

Oh boy, haha I just now found this post. Whoops sorry man, not sure how I bypassed this post. However, lets please re-investigate this.

So, what do you mean by "Turn media library off"? Are you talking about a setting on the WHS2011 machine? or on the SMP? If you are talking about the Server, then NO I have not tried that yet because I was not aware it had a setting as such. If your talking about on the SMP device, where exactly is this setting at? lol thanks again WDFan

Peace
post #3065 of 4689
Some objective measurements of the WD TV Live...

WD TV Live - Measurements
post #3066 of 4689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimago View Post

Some objective measurements of the WD TV Live...

WD TV Live - Measurements
I read you review. Very nice testing.
Your testing of the digital transport was only for the S/PDIF output. Most of us have the Live-SMP plugged into an AVR via the HDMI cable. Since HDMI is also a digital transport, would you expect the audio test results of HDMI to be equivalent to the S/PDIF output.
post #3067 of 4689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimago View Post

Some objective measurements of the WD TV Live...

WD TV Live - Measurements

Nice write-up, thanks for taking the time to share it with us.
post #3068 of 4689
I believe the WD got the ability to do 24/96 properly in a firmware update.

Bill
post #3069 of 4689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimago View Post

Although it's a USB2 port, I did not run into any troubles
Why would you? USB2 has a nominal speed of 480 Mbit/s, an actual speed of ~240 Mbit/s. That's plenty of bitrate for FLAC audio files or am I missing something? BTW, the SMP features a Sigma Designs SMP8670AD-CBE3 chip, don't know which DAC (DSP?).
post #3070 of 4689
Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post

Why would you? USB2 has a nominal speed of 480 Mbit/s, an actual speed of ~240 Mbit/s. That's plenty of bitrate for FLAC audio files or am I missing something? BTW, the SMP features a Sigma Designs SMP8670AD-CBE3 chip, don't know which DAC (DSP?).

He is probably using usb 3.0 devices as are many people these days. There was early inconsistencies between 2.0 and 3.0 but both firmware and newer chipsets have cured those ailments. All of my 3.0 devices seem to work great on the SMP.
post #3071 of 4689
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post

Oh boy, haha I just now found this post. Whoops sorry man, not sure how I bypassed this post. However, lets please re-investigate this.

So, what do you mean by "Turn media library off"? Are you talking about a setting on the WHS2011 machine? or on the SMP? If you are talking about the Server, then NO I have not tried that yet because I was not aware it had a setting as such. If your talking about on the SMP device, where exactly is this setting at? lol thanks again WDFan

Peace

It's a setting in the WDTV.

I don't have one in front of me, but I think the setting is at SETTINGS / SYSTEM SETTINGS / MEDIA LIBRARY.
post #3072 of 4689
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post

It's a setting in the WDTV.

I don't have one in front of me, but I think the setting is at SETTINGS / SYSTEM SETTINGS / MEDIA LIBRARY.
Found it. Thanks, on mine its under Setup>System>Media Library. I restarted the device just in case.

Ok, I can now see all the folders/movies as they are titled. And it looks like I can play all the files as well. Thank you very much. What I do not understand is why it would not allow me to connect to the shares until after I disable Media Library? It seems to me this shouldn't cause a problem when you select a content source, however it does here. Selecting them in folder view is just fine with me and I thank you for pointing me to the solution. biggrin.gif

Regards
SkOrPn
post #3073 of 4689
Been reading and reading....

The info here is just PRICELESS! Thanks so much! I just ordered a 4 TB NAS and WD TV Live Streaming Media Player, and so this noob will be back im sure.
I hope to get it all working soon, and starting on it this weekend. I am also planning to be "wired" , using Cat5e with abt 50 feet between the puter and the Tv...
I have a few .MKV's and will start trying to run them once setup. Wish me luck!
post #3074 of 4689
Good luck! You should also check out the board at Western Digital.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-and-Home-Entertainment/ct-p/wdtv_home_entertainment
post #3075 of 4689
Apologize if this was answered before...

Have my WD Live connected to my NAS; I assume through DLNA. Everything just kind of worked out of the box. I also connect a external hard drive to the WD Live. When connecting the external hard drive I can see the movies, and access the database to find out movie information, view trailers, etc. Once I access the database the WD Live displays the correct movie title instead of what is on the hard drive (i.e. changes all upper case to lower case). There are .xml and .metathumb files stored on the external hard drive after I connected it.

So life is great, except I don't have any of these options to get movie information when the movies are stored on my NAS. So I assume I have to somehow play with the setting on the NAS? I am certainly not a expert when it comes to these things but I did set up everything originally. However, everything kind of worked out of the box.

So, how do I get movie information for movies stored on my NAS?

Thanks!!
post #3076 of 4689
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatG25 View Post

Apologize if this was answered before...

Have my WD Live connected to my NAS; I assume through DLNA. Everything just kind of worked out of the box. I also connect a external hard drive to the WD Live. When connecting the external hard drive I can see the movies, and access the database to find out movie information, view trailers, etc. Once I access the database the WD Live displays the correct movie title instead of what is on the hard drive (i.e. changes all upper case to lower case). There are .xml and .metathumb files stored on the external hard drive after I connected it.

So life is great, except I don't have any of these options to get movie information when the movies are stored on my NAS. So I assume I have to somehow play with the setting on the NAS? I am certainly not a expert when it comes to these things but I did set up everything originally. However, everything kind of worked out of the box.

So, how do I get movie information for movies stored on my NAS?

Thanks!!

I don't know if or how it works with DLNA, but if you set up a network share for each content root folder on your NAS and add to your media library, you should be able to get the content info. You may have to rescan, or possibly clear (rebuild) the media library - also check logon & permission settings...

CC
post #3077 of 4689
No it won't display the Metadata through DLNA only Network Shares.
post #3078 of 4689
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post

I don't know if or how it works with DLNA, but if you set up a network share for each content root folder on your NAS and add to your media library, you should be able to get the content info. You may have to rescan, or possibly clear (rebuild) the media library - also check logon & permission settings...

CC

Great, thanks for the info. I'll give that a shot over the next couple of days.
post #3079 of 4689
Thanks Ed, i think... wink.gif


I went and looked at the latest firmware issues over there... Yikes.
I hope that mostly had to do with the wireless side of things...
post #3080 of 4689
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmikey View Post

Thanks Ed, i think... wink.gif


I went and looked at the latest firmware issues over there... Yikes.
I hope that mostly had to do with the wireless side of things...

I'm wireless and have no problems playing mostly NAS-based MKV's with latest FW...

CC
post #3081 of 4689
Thanks cc for the info...

I wonder what is going on with some of the setups then?
I'll continue reading and hopefully learning to avoid the pitfalls...
post #3082 of 4689
So do we. The problem with MKVs that previously worked, stopped working on the new firmware but also when rolling back to the old firmware just doesn't make sense.
post #3083 of 4689
I wasn't even aware the new FW introduced a problem - maybe it's only with HD MKVs? Mine are mostly SD rips of Funai recordings...

CC
post #3084 of 4689
I only have HD MKVs, all of which still play pack fine on the new firmware.
post #3085 of 4689
Will the iPhone/Android WD TV Remote app allow for headless (no TV) control the WD TV? Or is there an app that will do so?

All of the youtube demo videos I've watched show it as a replacement for the included standard remote. I am wanting to run a network music streamer (for FLAC files) into my stereo receiver. If the WD TV Remote app displayed navigation and control on the phone instead of the TV screen I think it would be the perfect solution.
post #3086 of 4689
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_unknown View Post

Will the iPhone/Android WD TV Remote app allow for headless (no TV) control the WD TV? Or is there an app that will do so?

All of the youtube demo videos I've watched show it as a replacement for the included standard remote. I am wanting to run a network music streamer (for FLAC files) into my stereo receiver. If the WD TV Remote app displayed navigation and control on the phone instead of the TV screen I think it would be the perfect solution.

No it's just a simple remote app.
post #3087 of 4689
Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post

I only have HD MKVs, all of which still play pack fine on the new firmware.
Does the latest firmware still not have chapter support for MKV?
post #3088 of 4689
I have always been able to do chapters on the SMP using MKVs
post #3089 of 4689
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_unknown View Post

Will the iPhone/Android WD TV Remote app allow for headless (no TV) control the WD TV? Or is there an app that will do so?

All of the youtube demo videos I've watched show it as a replacement for the included standard remote. I am wanting to run a network music streamer (for FLAC files) into my stereo receiver. If the WD TV Remote app displayed navigation and control on the phone instead of the TV screen I think it would be the perfect solution.

That would be nice.
post #3090 of 4689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Does the latest firmware still not have chapter support for MKV?
You mean using NEXT instead of OPTIONS? Not yet but it will come.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › *Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread