or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › *Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 104

post #3091 of 4712
Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post

You mean using NEXT instead of OPTIONS? Not yet but it will come.
Yes, that is what I meant. Thanks.
post #3092 of 4712
Does this offer 10 or 30 second skip forward or back? I hate the Live + way of doing it (push FF and then Next gives you 10 MINUTE jumps!)

bob
post #3093 of 4712
No
post #3094 of 4712
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post

Does this offer 10 or 30 second skip forward or back? I hate the Live + way of doing it (push FF and then Next gives you 10 MINUTE jumps!)

bob
If there was one feature I would like to have added above all else, that would be it -- 30 sec forward, 8 sec back.
post #3095 of 4712
How is it done on other standalones? Skipping 30 secs, chapter, next movie?
post #3096 of 4712
Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post

How is it done on other standalones? Skipping 30 secs, chapter, next movie?

I don't have any other standalones but I do have:

Humax DVR - has both FF/RW and Next/Prev buttons

FF/RW does 2x -> 4x -> 8x -> 16x -> 32x on multiple press

Next does one click, configurable to 30 sec, 60 sec, 120 sec or 240 sec

Prev does one click, configurable to 7 sec, 15 sec or 30 sec

Sky+ - has only FF/RW buttons

does 2x -> 6x -> 12x -> 30X on multiple press
post #3097 of 4712
Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post

How is it done on other standalones? Skipping 30 secs, chapter, next movie?
Unfortunately, I don't know of any other media player that has DVR-like skip capability like 30 sec forward / 8 sec back that is used for skipping through commercials. The reason I would find it useful is because I record HDTV with both my TiVo and WMC and put the captures on my server for whole-house streaming. If a media player had commercial-skip ability I wouldn't have to pre-edit out the commercials for casual recordings that I wouldn't be keeping long term.
post #3098 of 4712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Unfortunately, I don't know of any other media player that has DVR-like skip capability like 30 sec forward / 8 sec back that is used for skipping through commercials. The reason I would find it useful is because I record HDTV with both my TiVo and WMC and put the captures on my server for whole-house streaming. If a media player had commercial-skip ability I wouldn't have to pre-edit out the commercials for casual recordings that I wouldn't be keeping long term.

My Egreat had 30 sec skips that you could stack like a DVR.. Popcorn hour based??


bob
post #3099 of 4712
I always remove chapter marks from my recordings, so for me a 1-click configurable skip would be far more useful than chapter skip...

CC
post #3100 of 4712
Hello,

I'm considering replacing my Roku 2 XS with a WD TV Live and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the subtitles look like from the Netflix app. My Roku can display the Netflix soft subs but they appear as yellow text with almost no border which makes them very difficult to read when they appear over light-colored backgrounds (which obviously happens frequently). Are Netflix subtitles easier to read on WD TV Live?
Edited by Option - 8/22/13 at 1:45pm
post #3101 of 4712
Hi all.
Can someone tell me, will a 23.976 fps source be outputted at 23.976hz?
Will a 24.000 fps source be outputted at 24.000hz?
post #3102 of 4712
It usually is but there is a bug that's not been fixed yet. Problem is also that some TVs show a "24FPS" pop-up even for 23.9760 material, so you better name the files accordingly to make sure you know what FPS the movie you're watching is encoded with.

EDIT: URL fixed, sorry http was missing.
Edited by techflaws - 8/23/13 at 7:29am
post #3103 of 4712
Thanks for the reply. Your link to the bug just directs to the start of this thread.


Quick question. Has anyone used the smartphone remote control app for WDTV? I'm wondering, can I view and queue the files for playback with no help from the TV display? For example, my music library is on a NAS accessible by SMB shares. I'd like to be able to queue and manage the playlist from my tablet for playback on the WDTV while in another room or on the outside deck, but I'm unsure the app can actually view the file listings of the SMB shares available on the WDTV.
Edited by obveron - 8/23/13 at 7:20am
post #3104 of 4712
Quote:
Originally Posted by obveron View Post

I'd like to be able to queue and manage the playlist from my tablet for playback on the WDTV while in another room or on the outside deck, but I'm unsure the app can actually view the file listings of the SMB shares available on the WDTV.

That would be killer, and might let me avoid buying in to Airplay via an Apple TV. Downloading now, we'll see.
post #3105 of 4712
Just set this up today and am very happy so far. The only problem is that I setup to use windows shares and when I turn the unit off and on they disappear. Is there a way to make that stick? I am using Linux Shares and that is working on the server that does NFS.
post #3106 of 4712
Quote:
Originally Posted by travanx View Post

Just set this up today and am very happy so far. The only problem is that I setup to use windows shares and when I turn the unit off and on they disappear. Is there a way to make that stick? I am using Linux Shares and that is working on the server that does NFS.

Is it the SMP? On mine it takes a few seconds before shares are displayed - maybe longer with bigger shares? I also seem to recall a problem with rescan option affecting reconnection - Scanning hourly seemed to fix it (although hourly scan doesn't actually work - I can turn the SMP on for several hours but still have to manually rescan to get up-to-date folder content).

CC
post #3107 of 4712
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post

Is it the SMP? On mine it takes a few seconds before shares are displayed - maybe longer with bigger shares? I also seem to recall a problem with rescan option affecting reconnection - Scanning hourly seemed to fix it (although hourly scan doesn't actually work - I can turn the SMP on for several hours but still have to manually rescan to get up-to-date folder content).

CC
I added local storage (8Gb stick) and it remembers the shares and I set it to scan hourly. Since the network connected shares are gone when the other PCs are off, I think the SMP stops looking for the shares to scan, so a manual rescan seems to be required.

I just shotgunned the symptoms, so I don't know which trick was the key. I also found that if I shut off one of the shared PCs while the SMP is "on", it gets real sluggish until I restart it (or it crashes and restarts itself)
post #3108 of 4712
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

I added local storage (8Gb stick) and it remembers the shares and I set it to scan hourly. Since the network connected shares are gone when the other PCs are off, I think the SMP stops looking for the shares to scan, so a manual rescan seems to be required.

I just shotgunned the symptoms, so I don't know which trick was the key. I also found that if I shut off one of the shared PCs while the SMP is "on", it gets real sluggish until I restart it (or it crashes and restarts itself)

I shut my network down once while the SMP was playing a network file and I ended up having to clear and rebuild the media library.

If a share is missing in [Videos] but still listed in share setups a rescan of the setup share should be sufficient to get it back into the [Videos] menu..

Obviously the device works best if all network resources are available 24/7 - even the hourly rescan setting may be a problem if you're using local USB content with the network down...

Anyway it sounds like you're OK now - give it a try without the flash drive - I don't think it's needed...

CC
post #3109 of 4712
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post


Anyway it sounds like you're OK now - give it a try without the flash drive - I don't think it's needed...

CC
I record on my PCs and often offload the edited shows/files to the SMP so I don't have to fire up the recorder to watch TV recordings. The HTPC starts via a BIOS setting and shuts off with a Task Manager "Job", so it doesn't run 24/7 anymore.

Even if a share disappears from the Video menus it (the shared directory) remains on the "Dashboard" with my setup and a simple rescan from the Media Manger in Settings updates all of the files.
post #3110 of 4712
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

I record on my PCs and often offload the edited shows/files to the SMP so I don't have to fire up the recorder to watch TV recordings. The HTPC starts via a BIOS setting and shuts off with a Task Manager "Job", so it doesn't run 24/7 anymore.

Even if a share disappears from the Video menus it (the shared directory) remains on the "Dashboard" with my setup and a simple rescan from the Media Manger in Settings updates all of the files.

That's what I was trying to say - sorry if not clear...

I send PlayLater SD recordings directly to the SMP USB drive - probably wouldn't work for HD recordings on my wifi connection though...

CC

BTW "ZAPHOD" was my SSID a couple of routers ago - my neighbors didn't get it...
post #3111 of 4712
My son had a "Magrathea" PC in is system. I tried for a Beeblebrox login once, but it was too long for the site.
post #3112 of 4712
My workgroup is called "Straylight", sound familiar?
post #3113 of 4712
Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post

My workgroup is called "Straylight", sound familiar?
Not initially but a quick search turned up a reference to "Neuromncer. I know it's a seminal work of science fiction but I just never got into Gibson.
post #3114 of 4712
WD TV Play Media Player is $59.99 at NewEgg right now...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815140004
Which is pretty much about retail. So... can someone tell me why the previous gen is still averaging $89-99? IS the new model LESS of a device? I'd like to add another, and $60 sounds better than $99 to me.

Thanks
post #3115 of 4712
Yes, the PLAY is MUCH less of a device.
post #3116 of 4712
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post

Yes, the PLAY is MUCH less of a device.
Can you elaborate on that, or direct me to a comparison where I may sort that out for myself?
post #3117 of 4712
WDTV Play does not add many features above the SMP, AFAIK. The only feature I can think of the Play supports is DTS-HD MA passthrough.

Just off the top of my head, the Play lacks:
  • MPEG-2 Support
  • Network Share support
  • Content Info (Metadata) Collection and display
  • Media Library Aggregation
  • DVD VOB / ISO Support
post #3118 of 4712
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post

WDTV Play does not add many features above the SMP, AFAIK. The only feature I can think of the Play supports is DTS-HD MA passthrough.

Just off the top of my head, the Play lacks:
  • MPEG-2 Support
  • Network Share support
  • Content Info (Metadata) Collection and display
  • Media Library Aggregation
  • DVD VOB / ISO Support

I love that it gets DTS-HD passthrough but loses True-HD passthrough.

Bill
post #3119 of 4712
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

I love that it gets DTS-HD passthrough but loses True-HD passthrough.

Bill

The other way around. It doesn't do DTSMA.
post #3120 of 4712
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

The other way around. It doesn't do DTSMA.

I was referring to the Play. wink.gif

Bill
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › *Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread