or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › *Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 105

post #3121 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

I love that it gets DTS-HD passthrough but loses True-HD passthrough.

Bill
The only reason the Play gets DTS-HD pass-through is because it doesn't decode DTS for analog stereo output. It's either digital pass-through or nothing. It's a very stripped down version of the Live-SMP targeted more at on-line content.

Here is the Play thread.
post #3122 of 4686
Ok I have never owned a media streamer before so I have a noob question. If I wirelessly stream a blue ray movie from my computer to the tv where the media streamer is does that use my internet bandwidth? I don't have unlimited bandwidth that is why im asking.
post #3123 of 4686
No, you're fine. Your streaming within your LAN which has nothing to do with your internet provider.
post #3124 of 4686
Thanks for the reply. Are there any major issues now with current WD TV live players? I just want it to stream Bluray movies usually in mkv format to my tv wirelessly.
post #3125 of 4686
Sorry, I don't own a WD TV anymore and haven't really followed along on how they perform. I'll have to leave that up to someone else to answer or you can read the 105 pages of this thread eek.gif
post #3126 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by tophat123 View Post

Thanks for the reply. Are there any major issues now with current WD TV live players? I just want it to stream Bluray movies usually in mkv format to my tv wirelessly.
Wireless and streaming generally don't mix. If it is full bitrate BluRay, wireless won't keep up unless the WD Live is sitting right on top of the router. Most people will recommend hard wire for BluRay streaming.
post #3127 of 4686
Does anyone know where the library file is stored and how to reset it? Odd question I guess but I have had trouble with drives coming up with "no data" error. The drives appear to be fine when I check them with disk utility. Maybe I should write down the error and come back with more detail. Tired of moving all the files off the drive, reformatting the drive, and moving all the files back to the drive.
post #3128 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensons View Post

Does anyone know where the library file is stored and how to reset it?

It's in a hidden folder named .wd_tv
post #3129 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensons View Post

Does anyone know where the library file is stored and how to reset it? Odd question I guess but I have had trouble with drives coming up with "no data" error. The drives appear to be fine when I check them with disk utility. Maybe I should write down the error and come back with more detail. Tired of moving all the files off the drive, reformatting the drive, and moving all the files back to the drive.
Have you tried: Setup -> System -> Media Library -> Clear Media Library ?
or Setup -> System -> Media Library -> Media Library Manager for Network Shares -> then rescan ? (pg 192 of Instruction Manual)

As far as I can tell, if you power off connected and network drives, the WD TV Live (SMP) scans once, finds nothing, tags it "no data" and gives up scanning until you force a rescan, regardless of the automatic file scanning settings.
post #3130 of 4686
B-I-N-G-O

We switched to Mac about the same time we moved to the "Live" version of WDTV. Didn't realize the database was still on the drive until you said it. Installed "Invisiblix" so I could see the directory then sent it to the trash. Hooked up the drive and all is good in the world again.

Thank You WDFan!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post

It's in a hidden folder named .wd_tv
post #3131 of 4686
Quite welcome. wink.gif
post #3132 of 4686
It's a few months since I bought my WD TV Live Streaming from Amazon, and I am having the following problem.

A motorboat noise suddenly blasts away and it only stops if you unplug the unit. I have tried swapping the HDMI cable, but to no use.

Unfortunately It was shipped to Brazil, where I live, and WD does not provide a warranty for such units here.

What I wonder is:

1) Has anyone had a similar problem?

2) Could you solve it in any other way but sending it for repair?
post #3133 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by tophat123 View Post

Thanks for the reply. Are there any major issues now with current WD TV live players? I just want it to stream Bluray movies usually in mkv format to my tv wirelessly.

I have had three generations of this player over the years. I have found them be somewhat buggy. But they always worked after some tweaking. But, I must say that with the last two firmware upgrades, I have had very little issues. Sometimes the thing just needs to be rebooted (unplug it for 30 seconds and plug it back in) I hard wired my network in my house, so I don't use the wireless to stream so I can't tell you how good it is. But if your wireless network is top notch, and your are relatively close to the router, I don't think you will have any issues. Also, Consumers reports gave this thing the top rating for video streamers in the last issue. Hunt around, you can find theses things cheap, just make sure your getting the latest generation if you want all the latest features.
post #3134 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhon View Post

Hunt around, you can find theses things cheap, just make sure your getting the latest generation if you want all the latest features.

Not true. The SMP is the last generation that's full-featured. The latest generation is the, Play, a sort of lite version, as I understand it. Fewer features and less expensive.
post #3135 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder View Post

Not true. The SMP is the last generation that's full-featured. The latest generation is the, Play, a sort of lite version, as I understand it. Fewer features and less expensive.

I was under the impression the Play was a stripped down model intended to be more price-competitive with Roku. I don't get CR but would be interested to know if the SMP was among those rated...

CC
post #3136 of 4686
Hi there, maybe someone here can help me with my problem wink.gif

I have an Windows Server 2012 Essentials with all my movies on an internal hard drive. Accessing the server with my wdtv smp is working fine (changed the workgroup to my domain on the wdtv and created an own user for the wdtv on my server).

A few days ago I activated the media library and after two days the entry of the media library finally showed up, but now everytime I restart the wdtv oder wake it up from a deep standby the media library won't show up. When I access my network share it says: "There are no files in this folder".
I can fix this by deleting the networking-access information and retype my username and password..but I have to do this everytime I start the wdtv.
When I disable the media library I can access the network shares (via Samba) without a problem after restarting the wdtv..so it really seems to be an media library issue frown.gif

Some ideas? Something I could test?


smile.gif Thanks

Tiggel
post #3137 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder View Post

Not true. The SMP is the last generation that's full-featured. The latest generation is the, Play, a sort of lite version, as I understand it. Fewer features and less expensive.

Sorry, I did not know they came out with a new version. Strange they would take a step down when the thing is under 100 bucks anyway.
post #3138 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhon View Post

Sorry, I did not know they came out with a new version. Strange they would take a step down when the thing is under 100 bucks anyway.
The Play is not a new version of the Live. It is a seperate model of the line which consists of the Hub, Live-SMP and Play.
post #3139 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggel View Post

Hi there, maybe someone here can help me with my problem wink.gif

I have an Windows Server 2012 Essentials with all my movies on an internal hard drive. Accessing the server with my wdtv smp is working fine (changed the workgroup to my domain on the wdtv and created an own user for the wdtv on my server).

A few days ago I activated the media library and after two days the entry of the media library finally showed up, but now everytime I restart the wdtv oder wake it up from a deep standby the media library won't show up. When I access my network share it says: "There are no files in this folder".
I can fix this by deleting the networking-access information and retype my username and password..but I have to do this everytime I start the wdtv.
When I disable the media library I can access the network shares (via Samba) without a problem after restarting the wdtv..so it really seems to be an media library issue frown.gif

Some ideas? Something I could test?


smile.gif Thanks

Tiggel

Yes. Use your router to assign static IP's to the WDTV as well as the system where you have your movies stored. That fixed the problem for me.
post #3140 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhon View Post

Sorry, I did not know they came out with a new version. Strange they would take a step down when the thing is under 100 bucks anyway.

Roku is a bare-bones device in many ways. That's all a lot of people want - it would be foolish of WD to hand that market to Roku without a fight - it's not like they're another Apple. MKV support was the critical factor in my choice last year but if all you want to do is stream Hulu or Netflix why buy more than the Roku or Play? The option to buy only what you want is good - if my cable provider felt that way I wouldn't be involuntarily supporting Al Jazeera!

CC
Edited by cc_in_oh - 8/30/13 at 1:24pm
post #3141 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEd View Post

Yes. Use your router to assign static IP's to the WDTV as well as the system where you have your movies stored. That fixed the problem for me.

Thanks for your reply, but I already did this. I have a FritzBox and checked the "Always assign the same IP-Adress" for both (Server and WDTV) and I configured the static IP in the network settings on my server frown.gif
post #3142 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post

Roku is a bare-bones device in many ways. That's all a lot of people want - it would be foolish of WD to hand that market to Roku without a fight - it's not like they're another Apple. MKV support was the critical factor in my choice last year but if all you want to do is stream Hulu or Netflix why buy more than the Roku or Play? The option to buy only what you want is good - if my cable provider felt that way I wouldn't be involuntarily supporting Al Jazeera!

CC

I use it mostly to stream movies and TV shows off of my network drives. I tried several other boxes and I had issues with all of them. The last try about a year ago was a Logitech Google tv box. It was great until you wanted to play dts audio. I just got a chrome case, and if you want to play network movies with that, you have to play them on your chrome browser then cast them to your tv. (Well, at least that is the only way I could do it in the two hours I played with it.) I think it had some kind of issue playing something, but don't remember. The three WDTV's I have owned do that just fine for what I need.. One is in my vacation home, the other is here and third one went south on me. I think I paid well under 100 bucks for each of them,. One may have been refurbished.. Don't they have a big box one that does a lot of stuff? I remember it was about $250
post #3143 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhon View Post

I use it mostly to stream movies and TV shows off of my network drives. I tried several other boxes and I had issues with all of them. The last try about a year ago was a Logitech Google tv box. It was great until you wanted to play dts audio. I just got a chrome case, and if you want to play network movies with that, you have to play them on your chrome browser then cast them to your tv. (Well, at least that is the only way I could do it in the two hours I played with it.) I think it had some kind of issue playing something, but don't remember. The three WDTV's I have owned do that just fine for what I need.. One is in my vacation home, the other is here and third one went south on me. I think I paid well under 100 bucks for each of them,. One may have been refurbished.. Don't they have a big box one that does a lot of stuff? I remember it was about $250

The Hub model has a hard drive but no wifi, just ethernet (IIRC). Connecting a $59 1TB USB drive to the SMP seems like a much better option to me - especially since I don't have ethernet near my TV...

CC
post #3144 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggel View Post

Hi there, maybe someone here can help me with my problem wink.gif

I have an Windows Server 2012 Essentials with all my movies on an internal hard drive. Accessing the server with my wdtv smp is working fine (changed the workgroup to my domain on the wdtv and created an own user for the wdtv on my server).

A few days ago I activated the media library and after two days the entry of the media library finally showed up, but now everytime I restart the wdtv oder wake it up from a deep standby the media library won't show up. When I access my network share it says: "There are no files in this folder".
I can fix this by deleting the networking-access information and retype my username and password..but I have to do this everytime I start the wdtv.
When I disable the media library I can access the network shares (via Samba) without a problem after restarting the wdtv..so it really seems to be an media library issue frown.gif

Some ideas? Something I could test?


smile.gif Thanks

Tiggel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEd View Post

Yes. Use your router to assign static IP's to the WDTV as well as the system where you have your movies stored. That fixed the problem for me.

I found the reason..but not the solution (if there is one...). My server is the domain controller, so I can't use a local user to access the network shares and it seems that the wdtv can't handle the domain user in combination with the media library.
I used a network share on my computer with a local user account and everything worked fine..switching to an domain account on my computer caused the same problems as it did with my server (losing the connection to network shares with media library turned on)

Hopefully there will be an update do fix this..I can live without the media library but it would be nice if I'd be able to use it.
post #3145 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggel View Post

Hopefully there will be an update do fix this..I can live without the media library but it would be nice if I'd be able to use it.

Don't hold your breath. These things are meant for home users, and home users using Domains are very rare indeed.
post #3146 of 4686
You could just hook up an external HD to the WDTV by USB. I know, you don't want to buy more hardware, but that's all I can think of now.

But if you decide that you *DO* want to hold your breath please leave your WDTV to me in your will.
post #3147 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEd View Post

You could just hook up an external HD to the WDTV by USB. I know, you don't want to buy more hardware, but that's all I can think of now.

But if you decide that you *DO* want to hold your breath please leave your WDTV to me in your will.
I plugged in an 8GB thumb flash drive and keep one small video test file on it. I still have to rescan other network shares if they have been powered off but nothing more. (see post 3129)
post #3148 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

I plugged in an 8GB thumb flash drive and keep one small video test file on it. I still have to rescan other network shares if they have been powered off but nothing more. (see post 3129)

My network is off every night, but I very rarely have to rescan the shares. On OR off though, I always have to rescan folders to refresh contents. To minimize the hassle, I put all new recordings in one TV-New folder, then move to archive location after watching. With only a handful of files at any given time the rescan only takes a few seconds. (Of course the TV-New folder should be on the primary archive drive to avoid long move times.)

I don't get your flash drive logic - if it doesn't have any real files why connect your media library to it?

CC
post #3149 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post

My network is off every night, but I very rarely have to rescan the shares. On OR off though, I always have to rescan folders to refresh contents. To minimize the hassle, I put all new recordings in one TV-New folder, then move to archive location after watching. With only a handful of files at any given time the rescan only takes a few seconds. (Of course the TV-New folder should be on the primary archive drive to avoid long move times.)
That's what I meant by rescanning the shares (shared folders) - for content, not restoring.
Quote:
I don't get your flash drive logic - if it doesn't have any real files why connect your media library to it?
As far as I can tell, the WD TV Live stores it's database file there if possible. (uniondb.cas_****) Without that local storage, my SMP would lose all "Favorites" and the "Dashboard" would disappear and I would have to futz around trying to get everything working again. It seemed like something different would be wrong each time I would power up and require a different solution each time. Local storage stabilized everything for me, not sure why, just my guesses. It's also a handy place to put edited TV shows for later viewing so I don't have to fire up a computer for one show.
post #3150 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

That's what I meant by rescanning the shares (shared folders) - for content, not restoring.
As far as I can tell, the WD TV Live stores it's database file there if possible. (uniondb.cas_****) Without that local storage, my SMP would lose all "Favorites" and the "Dashboard" would disappear and I would have to futz around trying to get everything working again. It seemed like something different would be wrong each time I would power up and require a different solution each time. Local storage stabilized everything for me, not sure why, just my guesses. It's also a handy place to put edited TV shows for later viewing so I don't have to fire up a computer for one show.

Could be - I don't use the dashboard so I'm not sure what's involved...

CC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › *Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread